Why Believe Literally In The Bible?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 ...7 8 9 · >>
babylon On January 18, 2008

Deleted

Sad El Baouchrieh, Lebanon
#16New Post! Oct 20, 2007 @ 23:38:09
The Bible is a good book. Would make a huge blockbuster. .But it's funny that people believe it.
I mean it's gotta be known that it's all symbols'n suff.
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#17New Post! Oct 24, 2007 @ 16:46:36
@vanished Said

just becuase you may believe in god dose not mean you cannot beleive in the evolution of life it may not have been so simple as good creating a male and female but where did the big bang comefrom who is to say something did not creat the first smallest organisam that lead to the start of evolution and the creation of who we are now.

You shouldn't reverse your logic: just because it is uncertain where the big bang or the first living organism came from, doesn't mean to say you should fill the gap in with God. Instead, you should wait until their is evidence for such a hypothesis. Then again, there well-supported theories about how the first life-form emerged, and others for the cause of the big bang. There is a lot of evidence to suggest that the specific accounts of natural and cosmological history offered by ancient religious texts are grossly incorrect. Some kind of supernatural creator is possible (although metaphysical), but God, Yahweh, Allah, Brahman or any other spiritual entity described in religious mythology is logically impossible, for too many reasons to list here.
rozenkatze On January 01, 2008

CORK, Ireland
#18New Post! Oct 29, 2007 @ 15:09:11
Yes, Vanished. I could say "Hey, there is uncertainty in science, so the SPACE ZEBRA did it." just as easily.
vanished On April 24, 2011

London, United Kingdom
#19New Post! Nov 10, 2007 @ 22:15:13
i did not day i beleive in god creating the big bang. just saying you can believe in both. TBH it is all hupothetical but i would rather not believe in god and find out there is one the believe in god and find out there is'nt on. lol
never read the bible but heard it is an entertaining story
00trex On January 11, 2008

Mission,
#20New Post! Dec 20, 2007 @ 21:54:57
For those who criticize people who take the Bible literally. Every few years, there are archaeological discoveries which verify the historical accuracy of the Bible. Even modern "critical scholars" have backed off their rhetoric. If one is so inclined, there is a powerful CD demonstrating the accuracy of the Exodus. They have found the remains of chariots at the bottom of the biblical "sea of reeds" dating to the EXACT dynasty of that period in ancient Egypt. There are several other proofs, in addition. I think many attack the Bible without looking into all the issues which may verify its correctness.
crazychica On March 13, 2011
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#21New Post! Dec 20, 2007 @ 22:13:54
@00trex Said
For those who criticize people who take the Bible literally. Every few years, there are archaeological discoveries which verify the historical accuracy of the Bible. Even modern "critical scholars" have backed off their rhetoric. If one is so inclined, there is a powerful CD demonstrating the accuracy of the Exodus. They have found the remains of chariots at the bottom of the biblical "sea of reeds" dating to the EXACT dynasty of that period in ancient Egypt. There are several other proofs, in addition. I think many attack the Bible without looking into all the issues which may verify its correctness.

I'm an amateur archaeologist and I've never heard of this "evidence". Archaeological discoveries tend to prove that a PLACE existed, not that the Bible was right. The Egyptians did have contact with the Jews and even passed on the concept of Hell (actually Hel). I have looked into these issues many times over basing my opinions on evidence. Archaeological evidence tends to ontradict the Bible rather than prove it.

Next time, please take the evidence into context. The Egyptians often tried to expand their borders beyond the Red Sea, which can explain the chariots reasonably well but to top it all off, the landscape of Egypt has changed several times in the last few thousand years due to changes in atmospheric conditions. These changes are usually big, not surprising since we are talking about a river and a few oasises surrounded by desert. There have been several severe droughts in that time period centred around catastrophic events affecting the whole world. At least one would have been strong enough to push the sea back a bit.

Your turn to show me your evidence.
Pete On March 28, 2012
Master of Unlocking

Central Scotland, United Kingd
#22New Post! Dec 20, 2007 @ 22:16:06
@00trex Said

Love how you back up this with proof (links)
Pete On March 28, 2012
Master of Unlocking

#23New Post! Dec 20, 2007 @ 22:17:06
@crazychica Said
I'm an amateur archaeologist

Don't take this the wrong way, but you have to be the geekest girl i have ever met
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#24New Post! Dec 20, 2007 @ 22:20:16
@pete Said
Don't take this the wrong way, but you have to be the geekest girl i have ever met

But you haven't really met me. But tis true. It's not my fault, I was raised by a bunch of trekkies, sci-fi aficionados, mad people and scientists (2 uncles). It's kinda hard not to be.
aceuvclubs On August 22, 2020
You with the face!

Seattle, Washington
#25New Post! Dec 20, 2007 @ 22:20:35
I like to think scientifically which means i don't take everything literal from the Bible but i do belief a lot of it has to be trusted on Faith.
Pete On March 28, 2012
Master of Unlocking

#26New Post! Dec 20, 2007 @ 22:22:41
@crazychica Said
But you haven't really met me.

You know what i mean.
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#27New Post! Dec 20, 2007 @ 22:22:50
Come on. Show me the evidence 00trex. I don't know you or what you're like so I can't take what you say in good faith. Don't make me type Latin.
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#28New Post! Dec 20, 2007 @ 22:23:31
@pete Said
You know what i mean.

Yes. Is that Yoda I see there?
Pete On March 28, 2012
Master of Unlocking

#29New Post! Dec 20, 2007 @ 22:26:32
@crazychica Said
Yes. Is that Yoda I see there?

Dressed as santa
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#30New Post! Dec 20, 2007 @ 22:27:59
@pete Said
Dressed as santa

My gran had a plant that looked kinda like Yoda's head. She kept it in the bathroom, it was kinda creepy.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 ...7 8 9 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs