Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ...11 12 13 · >>
bob_the_fisherman On January 30, 2023
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#61New Post! Sep 10, 2012 @ 22:06:55
@MadCornishBiker Said

Yes, but does it mean none of the others in that group, that town, that country ? I meant it to mean none of the others in that group, and that still stands. I wasn't interested in any of the others who may not have been present, or any of the others who, like the two in the passage from Like who were nowhere near where Jesus displayed the stigmata to Thomas.

Sorry, but I would like to ask for a further clarification from you. When you say that the two men Jesus had spoken with earlier were "nowhere near" where Jesus showed his stigmata to Thomas - could you please clarify this also.

Based on the fact that your words do not mean what they mean when the meaning of those words is shown to be wrong, I would like you to be quite specific, and define as precisely as you are able, what you mean by, "nowhere near." Would you say, for example, that "nowhere near" actually means, "quite close and more than likely in the room at the time." Or, does it mean, "many miles away, possibly in another town"?
MadCornishBiker On January 14, 2014

Banned

St Columb Road, United Kingdom
#62New Post! Sep 10, 2012 @ 22:18:09
@bob_the_fisherman Said

Wait, so... you are arguing that when Jesus displayed his stigmata to Thomas, that Thomas was in a group that had not seen Jesus stigmata?

Now, let us be clear here.

Is this what you are saying (of course it is what you are saying, but I want you to make it so clear you can not yet again lie in a pathetic attempt to back out). So please, state this in the most explicit terms you can for me, if you would be so kind... was Thomas in a group of people who had not seen Jesus stigmata - none of them had seen it prior to Jesus showing Thomas - is that what the infallible "Holy Spirit" has told you?

John 20:26-29 "Well, eight days later his disciples were again indoors, and Thomas with them. Jesus came, although the doors were locked, and he stood in their midst and said: “May YOU have peace.” 27 Next he said to Thomas: “Put your finger here, and see my hands, and take your hand and stick it into my side, and stop being unbelieving but become believing.” 28 In answer Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” 29 Jesus said to him: “Because you have seen me have you believed? Happy are those who do not see and yet believe."

What does that scripture say?

Thomas was in a locked room with the disciples, when Jesus came in amongst them despite the doors being locked and he simply appeared in their midst.

How did Jesus get into a locked room if he had a physical body? No-one opened the door for him so it must have been a materialised spirit body, that is the only possible explanation, though nowhere in scripture does it actually tell us what kind of body Jesus was resurrected into there is only one possible option and that is not what you believe.

The passage in Luke 24 was the same day Jesus was resurrected, as it starts off by saying in verse 13 " ) But, look! on that very day two of them were journeying to a village about seven miles distant from Jerusalem [and] named Em·ma?us, ".

If you look at John 20:24,25 But Thomas, one of the twelve, who was called The Twin, was not with them when Jesus came. 25 Consequently the other disciples would say to him: “We have seen the Lord!” But he said to them: “Unless I see in his hands the print of the nails and stick my finger into the print of the nails and stick my hand into his side, I will certainly not believe.

Notice there is no mention from the others of the twelve of the stigmata, which would have been quite an omission when talking to a doubter like Thomas, hence his statement.

The we go into the section I have quoted above from verse 26 on which begins "Well, eight days later" eight days after travelling to Emmaeus with the other two, who do not seem to have been amongst the twelve.

Again Jesus just appears as if by magic and this time into a locked room, locked because the disciples there present were afraid of repercussions since they were supporters of Jesus. This account does not mention how many disciples were there, but considering he had up to 500 disciples at one time it could have been quite a few of them, and may or may not have included some of the twelve.

Again there is no mention of the stigmata until Thomas expresses his doubts.

All of the above from both accounts point to a materialised spirit body, not a physical one. Since no other could simply appear and disappear at will, especially into a locked room.

Reason, not blind faith Bob.

QED
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#63New Post! Sep 10, 2012 @ 22:20:10
@Electric_Banana Said

Just wondering what you mean by this paragraph - it goes a bit over my head.

It sounds like you're suggesting that this physical existence is a one time and short respite interrupting a long and dreadful eternity.

Taking myself into consideration and a few others I've spoken to - the concern with religion and death isn't really out of fear but mostly seeking an explanation of why we have to deal with this one life in first place.

Looking back before I was born in 1973, memory reflects that times then were much easier for me.

I suppose one might call it a bit existential (what I wrote and what you quoted from me), but the main point I was driving at is that for me, for my sphere of existence and my experience of time in the universe, it's a staggerigly short interval that I can with any degree of certainty claim to be congizant of. I think it's far more important for a person to use that time to actually live in that time rather than wonder about what comes after it or dwell upon what came before it. Yes...learn the lessons of history, and yes...strive for a future that is better than the present, but these endeavors in my book are merely methods of enriching the lives that we have instead of preparing for something that might come.

I guess it's a question of whether one would rather render a life more miserable by wondering why he or she has to "deal with it in the first place" or whether one would prefer to simply accept that he or she has been given a life and make the most of it.

In the end, isn't that a fact? You have been given a life, regardless of why or by whom (if anyone). Do you believe that if you found an answer as to why you have to "deal with it" it would change the fact that you must?

Banned

#64New Post! Sep 10, 2012 @ 22:27:27
@bob_the_fisherman Said

Sorry, but I would like to ask for a further clarification from you. When you say that the two men Jesus had spoken with earlier were "nowhere near" where Jesus showed his stigmata to Thomas - could you please clarify this also.

Based on the fact that your words do not mean what they mean when the meaning of those words is shown to be wrong, I would like you to be quite specific, and define as precisely as you are able, what you mean by, "nowhere near." Would you say, for example, that "nowhere near" actually means, "quite close and more than likely in the room at the time." Or, does it mean, "many miles away, possibly in another town"?

At least this time you had the sense to check what I meant, lol. Wise for once since you have so often misunderstood my way of speaking.

There is no indication exactly where they were 8 days after Jesus spoke to them and showed them his stigmata, but that was in Emmeaus, 7 miles from Jerusalem, again, 8 days before he just appeared in the middle of a crowd in a locked room amongst an unnamed and unnumbered collection of frightened disciples.

What is clear is that the two occasions, the one in Luke and the one from John were 8 days and probably also 7 miles apart. There would be no reason for the two in the Luke passage to return to Jerusalem where they would have been in danger.

Neither passage says who those disciples and apart from Thomas, none of the 12 are mentioned, so neither party necessarily included any of them.

Don't forget, Jesus had more than just the specially selected 12 disciples.
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#65New Post! Sep 10, 2012 @ 22:45:18
@MadCornishBiker Said
What does that scripture say?
Thomas was in a locked room with the disciples, when Jesus came in amongst them despite the doors being locked and he simply appeared in their midst.
[...]All of the above from both accounts point to a materialised spirit body, not a physical one. Since no other could simply appear and disappear at will, especially into a locked room.

Reason, not blind faith Bob.

QED

I enjoy the unsubtle way you are trying to shift the focus of the conversation, but we will not be distracted for now.

Let us look at what is written, shall we?

John 20:19+ Jesus stood among them and said, "Peace be with you." After he said this he showed them his hands and his feet.

So, your argument now is that Jesus showed them his hands and feet because they did *not* have the wounds of his crucifixion on them? Indeed, this has to be your argument, as you have no choice - after all, we *know* from the text that these disciples are the same disciples that are with Thomas - and you have stated overtly that none of the disciples with Thomas had seen the stigmata.

But, does it make sense to render the text as you claim? By no means!

Come MCB, let us reason together.

The disciples tell Thomas, we have seen the Lord, and he showed us his side and there was no wounds there, and he was not in his own body, but we know it was him... Possible, but, is there a better way to read the text, such that it all makes sense? Yes, there is.

The disciples say, We have seen the Lord and he showed us his side and we know that it was him.

Clearly, your position, the former one, is farcical. *Especially* when we add in that Thomas said he will not believe unless he *touches* the wounds. The context of John tells us that the disciples saw the wounds, and that Thomas responded, "I will not believe until I touch the wounds."

You are saying that the disciples said we did not see the wounds, and Thomas responded that he will not believe until he touches the wounds. This is absurd. You are wrong.

Also, you have said that the two disciples from the road to Emmaus were nowhere near where Christ revealed himself to Thomas, but, this too is wrong. Luke 24 tells us that the two disciples Christ had spoken to went immediately to Jerusalem to tell the disciples what had happened, and it says, (24:36) while they were still talking about this, Jesus Himself appeared amongst them and said to them..."Look at my hands and feet. It is I myself!"

So, when you say the two from the road to Emmaus were "nowhere near" where Jesus revealed the stigmata to Thomas, what you really mean is, "they were there in the very room." And, you are wrong, once again.

Also, when you claim he was not in his own body, this too, is meaningless drivel. When he showed them his hands and side, what possible point is there to doing that if, as you claim, he had no wounds and was not in his body?

Banned

#66New Post! Sep 10, 2012 @ 22:51:18
@wirelessguru1 Said

Mad Cornish dude, Bob is not fighting against the Holy Spirit, rather he is fighting against a "possessed" mad dude...

+1 (Neo)

Nope, lol.
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#67New Post! Sep 10, 2012 @ 22:55:42
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#68New Post! Sep 10, 2012 @ 23:01:30
@MadCornishBiker Said
There is no indication exactly where they were 8 days after Jesus spoke to them and showed them his stigmata, but that was in Emmeaus, 7 miles from Jerusalem, again, 8 days before he just appeared in the middle of a crowd in a locked room amongst an unnamed and unnumbered collection of frightened disciples.

Wrong. Totally, utterly, unequivocally, you are wrong.

You should stop now MCB, as your every utterance now just adds to the humiliation of your defeat.

Luke 24:33 They [the two to whom Jesus spoke on the road to Emmaus] got up and returned at once to Jerusalem. There they found the eleven and those with them assembled together... the two told what happened [to them]. While they were still talking about this, Jesus Himself stood among them... he said, "Look at my hands and feet. It is I Myself."

We know from John's account that Thomas was not with them. But, the disciples were together *again* with Thomas when Christ appeared again.

How wrong do you need to be, MCB?

@MadCornishBiker Said
What is clear is that the two occasions, the one in Luke and the one from John were 8 days and probably also 7 miles apart. There would be no reason for the two in the Luke passage to return to Jerusalem where they would have been in danger.

But, we also know they were there, because the text tells us quite clearly that they were there.

@MadCornishBiker Said
Neither passage says who those disciples and apart from Thomas, none of the 12 are mentioned, so neither party necessarily included any of them.

Wrong once again. In fact, John says (20:24), Now Thomas, one of the Twelve, was not with the disciples when Jesus came...

@MadCornishBiker Said
Don't forget, Jesus had more than just the specially selected 12 disciples.

True, but the context makes it abundantly clear that the Twelve are being spoken of.

The absolute best you can say in favour of your position, is that it is so unlikely as to be rendered absurd.
wirelessguru1 On November 01, 2018

Somewhere in, California
#69New Post! Sep 10, 2012 @ 23:30:14
@MadCornishBiker Said

Nope, lol.

Yep, you are clearly "possessed" (based on your posts) and you also fully acknowledge to be mad since your virtual reality name here is Mad Cornish Biker, so at least you are fully conscious of being "mad"...

Banned

#70New Post! Sep 10, 2012 @ 23:41:33
@bob_the_fisherman Said

I enjoy the unsubtle way you are trying to shift the focus of the conversation, but we will not be distracted for now.

Let us look at what is written, shall we?

John 20:19+ Jesus stood among them and said, "Peace be with you." After he said this he showed them his hands and his feet.

OK I'll concede that one I hadn't noticed it.

However it still doesn't say if it is the 12 or some other disciples of Jesus, and it is 7 days before the meeting in the room, which may still have been a totally different set of disciples. Scripture usually specifies the 12 when it is them or names them.

Interestingly both meetings, the one with Thomas and the one 8 days alter without the door is locked when Jesus appears.

Don't forget Jesus had many disciples, and to second guess scripture is dangerous.

It does also say that Thomas was not there.

However it doesn't change much because he still appeared in the midst of a locked room, and no physical human body could do that.

We also still have the fact that none recognised him , not one, not even Mary. Had he been in his own body at least some of the 12 would have, and Mary most definitely so. They had all spent so much time with him, and the 12 had spent 3 1/2 years in his company

We also still have the fact that Jesus just appeared. He didn't approach, he didn't enter, he just appears. In the Luke account he is not described as anything other than simply standing there. In the John version he simply appeared, in the middle of a crowd, and through locked doors. The scripture makes a point of mentioning that the doors were locked.

His own body simply would not be able to do that.

I do know why you insist that it was his own, literal body, but that scripture is not unambiguous,and can mean either without changing the wording at all.

The simple point is that as with so many other things you insist on misunderstanding, there is only one possible meaning that actually works in the light of the other scripture such as the Luke and John ones we are discussing.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

So, your argument now is that Jesus showed them his hands and feet because they did *not* have the wounds of his crucifixion on them? Indeed, this has to be your argument, as you have no choice - after all, we *know* from the text that these disciples are the same disciples that are with Thomas - and you have stated overtly that none of the disciples with Thomas had seen the stigmata.

No Bob we do not know that they were in the room, there is nothing in scripture that says the two were still in Jerusalem after meeting with the disciples.

I believe I said that there is no record that they had, and there isn't because there is no record of which of Jesus many disciples were in that room. It says nothing about the 12, except for Thomas. If the bible doesn't say t happened I tend to believe that it didn't I don;t believe in adding things to alter a meaning, the the odd word here and there to clarify an existing meaning is not wrong. You add whole phrases.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

But, does it make sense to render the text as you claim? By no means!

@bob_the_fisherman Said

Come MCB, let us reason together.

The disciples tell Thomas, we have seen the Lord, and he showed us his side and there was no wounds there, and he was not in his own body, but we know it was him... Possible, but, is there a better way to read the text, such that it all makes sense? Yes, there is.

The disciples say, We have seen the Lord and he showed us his side and we know that it was him.

Where in scripture does it say that or are you simply adding that to prove your own case?

You cannot add words to change the meaning. That is worse than what you accuse the JWs of doing.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

Clearly, your position, the former one, is farcical. *Especially* when we add in that Thomas said he will not believe unless he *touches* the wounds. The context of John tells us that the disciples saw the wounds, and that Thomas responded, "I will not believe until I touch the wounds."

No Bob the context does not tell us anything of the sort, it doesn't even hint at what you are saying, that is in your own mind and your own desperation to prove your point. I've checked a few translations and it definitely isn't there.and it simply

This time you are doing more than changing the meaning of the words, you are adding them. Stick to scripture, not imagination.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

You are saying that the disciples said we did not see the wounds, and Thomas responded that he will not believe until he touches the wounds. This is absurd. You are wrong.

No Bob it is what scripture says and is the only logical conclusion, if the disciples had seen them they would have said "well we've seen them" or similar in reply to Thomas saying what proof he needed

Also, you have said that the two disciples from the road to Emmaus were nowhere near where Christ revealed himself to Thomas, but, this too is wrong. Luke 24 tells us that the two disciples Christ had spoken to went immediately to Jerusalem to tell the disciples what had happened, and it says, (24:36) while they were still talking about this, Jesus Himself appeared amongst them and said to them..."Look at my hands and feet. It is I myself!"

So, when you say the two from the road to Emmaus were "nowhere near" where Jesus revealed the stigmata to Thomas, what you really mean is, "they were there in the very room." And, you are wrong, once again.

How do you know they were in the room, and how do you know what they told the disciples? again you are adding things to prove your point

Also, when you claim he was not in his own body, this too, is meaningless drivel. When he showed them his hands and side, what possible point is there to doing that if, as you claim, he had no wounds and was not in his body?

The point is that he made the wounds appear to prove his identity. That is a very easy ting to do with a materialised spirit body because it can be changed it will.

You really cannot make what you want to out of the scripture as presented, despite the one bit I didn't notice.

There is still nothing to say that the two from Emmaeus were in the room 8 days after they met Jesus. It doesn't say who is in the room because only Thomas is named. It doesn't even say they were in the room on the meeting at John 20:19, though they may have been then.

Sorry Bob it simply doesn't work
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#71New Post! Sep 11, 2012 @ 04:11:28
@MadCornishBiker Said

OK I'll concede that one I hadn't noticed it.

Then you are not infallible when interpreting scripture as you claim - a fact which no one doubts anyway.

Honestly MCB, this is tiresome.

@MadCornishBiker Said
However it still doesn't say if it is the 12 or some other disciples of Jesus, and it is 7 days before the meeting in the room, which may still have been a totally different set of disciples. Scripture usually specifies the 12 when it is them or names them.

Context, MCB. When the scripture you infallibly render says that one of the 12, Thomas, was not with the disciples, as it does say, it says that he was not there, not that all of them were not there. The wording at least very strongly implies the others were there.

@MadCornishBiker Said
Interestingly both meetings, the one with Thomas and the one 8 days alter without the door is locked when Jesus appears. Don't forget Jesus had many disciples, and to second guess scripture is dangerous.

And yet, you are second guessing, prevaricating and speculating.

@MadCornishBiker Said
However it doesn't change much because he still appeared in the midst of a locked room, and no physical human body could do that.

So, therefore, it was not Christ in his body that appeared? Again I ask you, why did he tell them to look at his hands and feet if he was not in his body? What is the point? What does it prove?

@MadCornishBiker Said
We also still have the fact that none recognised him , not one, not even Mary. Had he been in his own body at least some of the 12 would have, and Mary most definitely so. They had all spent so much time with him, and the 12 had spent 3 1/2 years in his company

They did not recognise Him, but thought he was a ghost, and said later that he was Christ. The two on the road did not recognise him but went to the disciples and told them it was Christ, after He had broke bread and opened their eyes?

I see.

@MadCornishBiker Said
We also still have the fact that Jesus just appeared. He didn't approach, he didn't enter, he just appears. In the Luke account he is not described as anything other than simply standing there. In the John version he simply appeared, in the middle of a crowd, and through locked doors. The scripture makes a point of mentioning that the doors were locked.

Wow. God can do things that people cannot do. I know that is a surprise to you, but Christians just take it for granted.

@MadCornishBiker Said
I do know why you insist that it was his own, literal body, but that scripture is not unambiguous,and can mean either without changing the wording at all.

Because it was his own body. If not, the whole thing is a confidence trick aimed at deceiving us. Where did his body go? Why would God remove the body? Or, did the Jews or disciples steal it? Why was there such a big deal made of the empty tomb if not that Christ had done what he said he would do, and raised his body from the dead (a thing which, of course, you claim is "impossible" )?

@MadCornishBiker Said
The simple point is that as with so many other things you insist on misunderstanding, there is only one possible meaning that actually works in the light of the other scripture such as the Luke and John ones we are discussing.

Well, that is true, no one can really believe that God is God and say he could not possibly put the physical body of Christ in a locked room because God can not do miraculous things, which is your basic tenet here in your rationalised version of God.

And, in relation to this, I ask that you read the account of Phillip and the eunuch, wherein, after Phillip had baptised the eunuch, Phillip was taken away by the spirit, to a new place, Azotus (cf., Acts 8:36-40). Are you seriously going to suggest that God can supernaturally transport people vasts distances, unless there is a wall in the way?

Do you honestly think that God would be foiled by a craftily placed wall?

@MadCornishBiker Said
No Bob we do not know that they were in the room, there is nothing in scripture that says the two were still in Jerusalem after meeting with the disciples.

We do not need to know that, to be honest. You said that *no one* that was in the room with Thomas, had seen the wounds on the body of Christ. Yet we know that the people to whom Christ appeared and showed his hands and feet *were* in the room when Christ appeared to Thomas.

We also know that Thomas said he will not believe unless he touches the wounds.

John 20:24. Now Thomas, one of the Twelve, was not with the disciples when Jesus came. So the other disciples said, "We have seen the Lord!"

But Thomas said to them, "unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my fingers where the nails were, and my hands into his side, I will not believe."

Now, consider what *is* said here. The disciples saw Christ, who showed them his hands and feet. They say to Thomas we have seen the Lord, and he responds, 'I will not believe unless I touch the wounds.'

Does this make sense if the disciples saw a Christ that was not in his body, and that did not have the wounds of crucifixion on him? No. It doesn't. It only makes sense if the disciples said to Thomas something along the lines of that they had seen him, and seen his body and the wounds, and that they knew it was Christ. Then his comment that he will not believe unless he touches the wound, makes sense.

In your version of it, it makes no sense.

Plus, if Christ showed these wounds to Thomas in order to make him believe, but the wounds were not in Christ's body because he did not have his body, it makes no sense. It is in fact a lie if the wounds are not the wounds, because the body is not his body.

@MadCornishBiker Said
I believe I said that there is no record that they had, and there isn't because there is no record of which of Jesus many disciples were in that room. It says nothing about the 12, except for Thomas.

Rubbish, we know that the original two were there when Christ first appeared, and we know that some that were there at that time, were also there when Christ reappeared. So you are wrong that no one in that room had seen the stigmata - your version of it is incoherent.

@MadCornishBiker Said
If the bible doesn't say t happened I tend to believe that it didn't I don;t believe in adding things to alter a meaning, the the odd word here and there to clarify an existing meaning is not wrong. You add whole phrases.

unless of course you need to speculate wildly to fit with your paradigm you mean. Nowhere does it say that Christ was not in his own body. You deny the power of God, but I don't.

@MadCornishBiker Said
Where in scripture does it say that or are you simply adding that to prove your own case?

I was giving two alternative views of what happened, yours and mine, and arguing that yours is not coherent.

@MadCornishBiker Said
No Bob it is what scripture says and is the only logical conclusion, if the disciples had seen them they would have said "well we've seen them" or similar in reply to Thomas saying what proof he needed

Rubbish. This makes no sense. The disciples say they have seen Christ, and Thomas basically says, 'unless I see the wounds and touch them, I will not believe.' Why is it more credible to believe he said that, than to believe the disciples told him they had seen him, and seen his hands and feet, and had seen the wounds, at which point he responded that he would need to touch them in order to believe?

Simply put, your view is not credible.

@MadCornishBiker Said
The point is that he made the wounds appear to prove his identity.

Where in the text does it say that? It doesn't. So you are allowed to add to the text, but I am not allowed to speculate on which scenario is more likely? how does that work?

@MadCornishBiker Said
That is a very easy ting to do with a materialised spirit body because it can be changed it will.

What is the point of showing fake wounds on a body that is not his own? Your view is pointless.

@MadCornishBiker Said
You really cannot make what you want to out of the scripture as presented, despite the one bit I didn't notice.

Pot. Kettle. Black.
Edited: September 11, 2012 @ 04:14
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#72New Post! Sep 11, 2012 @ 07:32:21
@MadCornishBiker Said

OK I'll concede that one I hadn't noticed it. However it still doesn't say if it is the 12 or some other disciples of Jesus, and it is 7 days before the meeting in the room, which may still have been a totally different set of disciples. Scripture usually specifies the 12 when it is them or names them.

Once again, you are wrong.

Look at what the text actually says.

John 20:24-5 Speaks of how Thomas did not see Jesus, and the other disciples told him "we have seen the Lord." And Thomas says he will need to put his hands in the wounds before he believes.

John 20:26 says: A week later the disciples were in the house again and Thomas was with them.

Note the use of the word "again" linking the disciples that saw Christ, with the disciples that were in the room when Christ appeared with Thomas present. The use of "again" links the disciples of the first and second appearance of Christ.

You are, therefore, not infallible, but you are wrong.

QED, as you say.
JR_Sanford On August 02, 2017

Portland (St. Johns), Oregon
#73New Post! Sep 11, 2012 @ 07:48:50
@MadCornishBiker Said

Have a read of this and see what you think.

https://www.jw.org/en/publications/books/bible-teach/where-are-the-dead/

It's really simple. Here is a test to see if your mission on Earth is complete: If you're alive, it isn't. When we cease to walk on Earth as a Human (die) our spiritual energy (imagine it like a radio wave) is just out there waiting to be dispatched to another realm of reality, or in a holding pattern patiently waiting for the rest of Humanity to get aboard the Spiritual Express so we all (as one) enter our next realm of Spiritual Being. I don't know about you, but I'm ready to go.

J.R.

Banned

#74New Post! Sep 11, 2012 @ 09:08:14
@bob_the_fisherman Said

Then you are not infallible when interpreting scripture as you claim - a fact which no one doubts anyway.

Honestly MCB, this is tiresome.

I have never claimed infallibility in anything, I simply didn't see it let alone interpret it. However it changes nothing in my beliefs so no victory for you, again.

It doesn't change anything, because it doesn't prove anything. The only new information it provides is that the two did actually go back to Jerusalem. It doesn't say who they were, or which of the many disciples they spoke to, or how long they stayed.

One thing it most definitely doesn't say, which is telling by it absence, is whether they were with the same disciples as were gathered in the room behind the locked door on either

@bob_the_fisherman Said

Context, MCB. When the scripture you infallibly render says that one of the 12, Thomas, was not with the disciples, as it does say, it says that he was not there, not that all of them were not there. The wording at least very strongly implies the others were there.

I have never said he was there so why are you arguing over that? IN fact I have stressed teh fact that he wasn't.

You seem to be losing t in your desperation to be right Bob. That's yet another reason I am glad I rely on Holy Spirit for the understanding of scripture I don't need to worry whether or not I am right , because it's nothing to do with me.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

And yet, you are second guessing, prevaricating and speculating.

No Bob that is precisely what I am not doing. I am not second guessing who was there since I am not told by the scripture, it is you who is doing that. I accept the fact that scripture doesn't tell us who was there at any of those three meetings, the two in Jerusalem and the one o the road to Emmaus, which is why I am saying that we have no idea who it was, or even if any of the 12 were amongst them.

You seem to be carefully ignoring the fact that Jesus had many more than 12 disciples, though Apostate Christianity does seem to avoid that fact.

Scripture tells us that he had up to 500 at one time, so who knows which of them scripture tells us about at those points.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

So, therefore, it was not Christ in his body that appeared? Again I ask you, why did he tell them to look at his hands and feet if he was not in his body? What is the point? What does it prove?

I have never said it wasn't the Christ, it is just obvious from what the scriptures tell us that it is a materialised spirit body, not a physical one, and that it does not look the same.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

They did not recognise Him, but thought he was a ghost, and said later that he was Christ. The two on the road did not recognise him but went to the disciples and told them it was Christ, after He had broke bread and opened their eyes?

I see.

Wow. God can do things that people cannot do. I know that is a surprise to you, but Christians just take it for granted.

Yes God can do things no-one else can do. After all, He can have His son send His spirit to help and guide people like me when we need it, and enable us to do things which were not possible to us before.

It is capable of appearing in a locked room on two occasions.

No-one recognises him until ether he tells them who he is, or he does something that makes them realise, or as the meeting Emmaus tells us their eyes are opened to who he is.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

Because it was his own body. If not, the whole thing is a confidence trick aimed at deceiving us. Where did his body go? Why would God remove the body? Or, did the Jews or disciples steal it? Why was there such a big deal made of the empty tomb if not that Christ had done what he said he would do, and raised his body from the dead (a thing which, of course, you claim is "impossible" )?

You are the only one of us being deceived by anything, and it is not any confidence trick on God's part

What was the point of Jesus appearing in a materialised spirit body and not is own?

For one it shows God's power to do so.

For another the fact that it prevents them from immediately recognising him accentuates the realisation that God has done exactly what he promised and resurrected His son.

It shows His power, and the ability of Jesus to control a spirit body and do what he wants with it.

Even if he had performed such a ridiculous magic trick with a physical body, why would he dos so when to use a materialised Spirit body is so much easier and more effective, and even if he had it would not have been the same body because God would have had to completely destroy it and then rebuild it, still destroying you hope that it was the same body.

Even then you still have the knotty problem that no-one who knew him recognised him until they were either told who he was, or some mannerism betrayed the fact to them.

Sorry Bob anything but a materialised spirit body simly doesn't make any sense.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

Well, that is true, no one can really believe that God is God and say he could not possibly put the physical body of Christ in a locked room because God can not do miraculous things, which is your basic tenet here in your rationalised version of God.

Again Bob you are putting words in my mouth, so to speak.

Is not creating a spirit body that Christ can materialise not miraculous? Why does it have to be a conjuring trick to be miraculous enough for you?

Are not the many miracles God ahs performed enough for you to know He is God?

What about the parting of the Red Sea, moving walls of water at least two miles apart and holding them there while somewhere in the region of 6 million people, their wagons and their livestock crossed over?

@bob_the_fisherman Said

And, in relation to this, I ask that you read the account of Phillip and the eunuch, wherein, after Phillip had baptised the eunuch, Phillip was taken away by the spirit, to a new place, Azotus (cf., Acts 8:36-40). Are you seriously going to suggest that God can supernaturally transport people vasts distances, unless there is a wall in the way?

Where does it say Phillip was taken away by Spirit?

Acts 8:26 "However, Jehovah’s angel spoke to Philip, saying: “Rise and go to the south to the road that runs down from Jerusalem to Ga?za.” (This is a desert road.) 27 With that he rose and went, and, look! an E·thi·o?pi·an eunuch, a man in power under Can·da?ce queen of the E·thi·o?pi·ans, and who was over all her treasure. He had gone to Jerusalem to worship, 28 but he was returning and was sitting in his chariot and reading aloud the prophet Isaiah. 29 So the spirit said to Philip: “Approach and join yourself to this chariot."

Nowhere does it talk about Philip being transported. He was told to "arise and go", then he was told to "Approach" the chariot and run alongside.

Again you are letting your imagination run riot and reading things into scripture which simply aren't there.

God doesn't waste energy, even though He has more than enough for all his and our needs.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

Do you honestly think that God would be foiled by a craftily placed wall?

Craftily placed wall? It was a building Bob, it wasn't craftily placed at all, lol, you really are letting your imagination run away with you here.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

We do not need to know that, to be honest. You said that *no one* that was in the room with Thomas, had seen the wounds on the body of Christ. Yet we know that the people to whom Christ appeared and showed his hands and feet *were* in the room when Christ appeared to Thomas.

How do we know that, scripture doesn't tell us who was there, simply disciples, the 12 aren't mentioned at all only Thomas?

we are not even told if the two meetings, 7 days apart, were in the same room let alone if the same people were there.

Again you are interpreting it to suit your beliefs.

Of course we aren't told they weren't either, but the point it that we aren't told.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

We also know that Thomas said he will not believe unless he touches the wounds.

John 20:24. Now Thomas, one of the Twelve, was not with the disciples when Jesus came. So the other disciples said, "We have seen the Lord!"

But Thomas said to them, "unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my fingers where the nails were, and my hands into his side, I will not believe."

Have I ever argued with that? No I haven't, and it changes nothing, I have said all along "a materialised spirit body" some thing which as the disobedient angels proved, before they flood is capable of being touched, touching, and even fathering children.

It would be easy for Thomas to touch them even in a materialised body where thy had only just been made to appear, or are you saying God and Christ are not capable of that?

@bob_the_fisherman Said

Now, consider what *is* said here. The disciples saw Christ, who showed them his hands and feet. They say to Thomas we have seen the Lord, and he responds, 'I will not believe unless I touch the wounds.'

Does this make sense if the disciples saw a Christ that was not in his body, and that did not have the wounds of crucifixion on him? No. It doesn't. It only makes sense if the disciples said to Thomas something along the lines of that they had seen him, and seen his body and the wounds, and that they knew it was Christ. Then his comment that he will not believe unless he touches the wound, makes sense.

In your version of it, it makes no sense.

Actually it makes perfect sense. It is your version, that relies on you adding the bit about the disciples telling Thomas about the wounds, that makes no real sense.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

Plus, if Christ showed these wounds to Thomas in order to make him believe, but the wounds were not in Christ's body because he did not have his body, it makes no sense. It is in fact a lie if the wounds are not the wounds, because the body is not his body.

Why is that so?

If Christ did not have the wounds in a materialised spirit body he could easily have created those wounds as and when he wished, and removed them again also. He only had to have the appearance of the wounds, even if your theory is right they would not be exactly as before because some healing would have taken place, certainly enough to stop them bleeding. A physical body heals, and in 8 days, by the time of the second meeting a perfect human body, as Christ's original was, would have healed quite dramatically. I have had massive wounds which have looked nothing like their original state in a week, when I was younger and healed quicker, and that was with an imperfect human body.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

Rubbish, we know that the original two were there when Christ first appeared, and we know that some that were there at that time, were also there when Christ reappeared. So you are wrong that no one in that room had seen the stigmata - your version of it is incoherent.

We know from scripture that the two from the meeting at or on the way to Emmaus returned to Jerusalem. We do not know how long they stayed, or if they were at ether of the two Jerusalem meetings.

We are not told who they were, though it is unlikely that they were amongst the 12 because they almost certainly would have been named.

We do not know who was at the first meeting, and apart from Thomas we are to told who was at the meeting 7 days later either. It is unlikely that any of the 12 were there, though obviously not impossible, and at the second meeting it is unlikely that any of the 12 apart from Thomas were there. Apart from that only 11 of the 12 were still alive at the time since Judas had killed himself and we are not told, I don't think anyway, exactly when Matthias was inducted into the 12.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

unless of course you need to speculate wildly to fit with your paradigm you mean. Nowhere does it say that Christ was not in his own body. You deny the power of God, but I don't.

It is not me who is speculating wildly Bob, it is you.

It is you who is speculating about who was or wasn't at any of the three meetings because scripture only names Thomas at the third one.

It is you who is speculating, despite the lack of information, that the two from the first meeting were at either of the other two meetings. We do not even know if it is the same group of disciples at the second and third meeting, or how many were there.

It is you who is speculating that Philip was transported by spirit to meet the Ethiopian Eunuch, despite the fact that all scripture says is that he was told to "rise and go" indicating that he was under his own power, just being directed by the spirit.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

I was giving two alternative views of what happened, yours and mine, and arguing that yours is not coherent.

I know that is what you were trying to do Bob but it doesn't work.

All it shows is how much you are adding to scripture to make yours work.

How much speculation you are having to use because of what we are not told.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

Rubbish. This makes no sense. The disciples say they have seen Christ, and Thomas basically says, 'unless I see the wounds and touch them, I will not believe.' Why is it more credible to believe he said that, than to believe the disciples told him they had seen him, and seen his hands and feet, and had seen the wounds, at which point he responded that he would need to touch them in order to believe?

Simply put, your view is not credible.

It is more credible than yours for all the reasons I have given above.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

Where in the text does it say that? It doesn't. So you are allowed to add to the text, but I am not allowed to speculate on which scenario is more likely? how does that work?

What is the point of showing fake wounds on a body that is not his own? Your view is pointless.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

No all that it says is that he showed them his hands and feet and told Thomas to touch them. However I have not added anything to scripture which changes the meaning, unlike you who has added much to it and assumed much that we cannot know in order to fit your version.

What don;t we know?

We don't know which of Jesus many disciples, apart from Thomas, is at any of the 3 meetings, and he was at the last one only.

We do not know that any of the remaining 11 of the 12 was there, apart from Thomas at the last of the three.

We do not even know if any of those at the three meetings was at more than one of them.

we simply aren't told and therefore cannot guarantee it, though it is admittedly likely that there is some commonality between the second and third meetings.

Pot, Kettle? I think not Bob.

Banned

#75New Post! Sep 11, 2012 @ 09:12:25
@bob_the_fisherman Said

Once again, you are wrong.

Look at what the text actually says.

John 20:24-5 Speaks of how Thomas did not see Jesus, and the other disciples told him "we have seen the Lord." And Thomas says he will need to put his hands in the wounds before he believes.

John 20:26 says: A week later the disciples were in the house again and Thomas was with them.

Note the use of the word "again" linking the disciples that saw Christ, with the disciples that were in the room when Christ appeared with Thomas present. The use of "again" links the disciples of the first and second appearance of Christ.

You are, therefore, not infallible, but you are wrong.

QED, as you say.

True it says again, and as I said in my last reply it is likely that there is some commonality between the last two meetings, but we are not told it is the same batch of disciples, so whilst I agree it is possible I cannot accept it as fact and neither should you.

Nor are we told tat if there is any commonality how many were at both. Simply saying "the disciples" is deliberately anonymous. It leaves room for us to claim what we cannot know and cannot even work out by logic and thus go wrong.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ...11 12 13 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs