The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Random

How do you define the words / saying "politically correct"?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#1New Post! Oct 13, 2009 @ 14:46:24
When a person is considered/accused of being not politically correct they are considered inhuman and non compassionate towards others . The term seems to have become a measuring stick for separating the good people from the trouble makers or rebels .

It was first used during WW2 by a British Ministry of Information official .'in vetting language for ?appropriateness?.

In the 1960s, the radical Left adopted the term, initially seriously, then ironically, in self-criticism of dogmatic attitudes.

In the USA
The earliest citation is not politically correct, found in the U.S. Supreme Court decision Chisholm v. Georgia (1793), denoting that the statement under judgement is literally incorrect, as understood in the eighteenth-century US:
Widespread use of the term "politically correct" and its derivatives began when it was adopted as a pejorative term by the political right in the 1990s, in the context of the "Culture Wars.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_correctness
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Oct 13, 2009 @ 14:50:30
@iwannano Said

When a person is considered/accused of being not politically correct they are considered inhuman and non compassionate towards others .

not true, more like ignorant and very human.
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Oct 13, 2009 @ 14:56:23
interesting page i like these

Quote:
the commentators claimed there never was a “Political Correctness movement” in the US, and that many who use the term do so to distract attention from substantive debate about racial, class and gender discrimination and unequal legal treatment. [27] Similarly, Polly Toynbee argued that “the phrase is an empty right-wing smear designed only to elevate its user.” [28]

Commenting on the UK's 2009 Equality Bill, Toynbee wrote that:

"The phrase "political correctness" was born as a coded cover for all who still want to say Paki, spastic or queer, all those who still want to pick on anyone not like them, playground bullies who never grew up. The politically correct society is the civilised society, however much some may squirm at the more inelegant official circumlocutions designed to avoid offence."[29]

Quote:
Critics of PC have shown the same sensitivity to word choice that they claim to oppose, and of perceiving non-existent political agenda. [32] For example, some newspapers reported that a school had altered the nursery rhyme “Baa Baa Black Sheep” to read “Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep”.[33] In fact, the Parents and Children Together (PACT) nursery had the children “turn the song into an action rhyme. . . . They sing happy, sad, bouncing, hopping, pink, blue, black and white sheep etc.” [34] That spurious nursery rhyme story was circulated and later extended to suggest that like language bans applied to the terms “black coffee” and “blackboard”. [35] The Private Eye magazine reported that like stories, all baseless, ran in the British press since The Sun first published them in 1986.
excalibur On March 30, 2010

notts, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Oct 13, 2009 @ 15:03:12
the very term political correct is a weapon used by the establishment to lambast anyone who does not adheer to the view which they deem to be the correct one.

It is used as a stick to stifle debate, and to force people to conform to a particular way of thinking and stops free expression.

Political correctness is endorsed and supported by the establishment as a means to impliment their political view on the masses, to object or reject this often leads to individuals being vilified or portrayed as a bigot ect...(again this serves the establishment- as its used to curtail free thinking and possibly anti-establishment rhetoric.
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Oct 13, 2009 @ 15:04:31
I cant stand when people say "Oh you are playing the PC card" no i am not i am playing the "you are a racist t*** card".
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Oct 13, 2009 @ 15:08:38
I was accused of being too politically correct when I referred to a pre-op male to female transexual as 'she' rather than 'he'.

Thats my addition to this thread.
beatboxer On March 25, 2010

, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Oct 13, 2009 @ 15:16:10
"Politically correct" is a ridiculous and pointless term.

If a person cannot say "black" or "fat" or "idiot" or any other number of colours, words or sentences without being branded a "racist" or something similar, then there is something very wrong with society.

notts, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Oct 13, 2009 @ 15:17:40
@beatboxer Said

If a person cannot say "black" or "fat" or "idiot" or any other number of colours, words or sentences without being branded a "racist" or something similar, then there is something very wrong with society.

agree 100%
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#9New Post! Oct 13, 2009 @ 15:17:58
Treebee , just guessing here but is your second post how you define the term ?

@jmo Said

I was accused of being too politically correct when I referred to a pre-op male to female transexual as 'she' rather than 'he'.

Thats my addition to this thread.

How do you define the term politically correct ?
KulliK357 On July 15, 2013
Sausage Snowman

Dingwall,Scotland, United King
#10New Post! Oct 13, 2009 @ 15:18:17
Intent makes something racist.
I can type the word nigger a million times and run down the street singing it but it doesn't mean I have anything against black people.
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#11New Post! Oct 13, 2009 @ 15:20:46
@excalibur Said

the very term political correct is a weapon used by the establishment to lambast anyone who does not adheer to the view which they deem to be the correct one.

It is used as a stick to stifle debate, and to force people to conform to a particular way of thinking and stops free expression.

Political correctness is endorsed and supported by the establishment as a means to impliment their political view on the masses, to object or reject this often leads to individuals being vilified or portrayed as a bigot ect...(again this serves the establishment- as its used to curtail free thinking and possibly anti-establishment rhetoric.

I agree.

@beatboxer Said

I agree.

notts, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Oct 13, 2009 @ 15:25:07
@KulliK357 Said

Intent makes something racist.
I can type the word nigger a million times and run down the street singing it but it doesn't mean I have anything against black people.

i disagree with this, running about shouting a word deemed to be offensive towards blacks, is very provocative indeed, and would never be interpreted as being the actions of a person without any prejudices.

id like to see you do this in leicester on a saturday afternoon, would be interesting to see if black people come up and ask if you really mean it or if you are just joking?
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Oct 13, 2009 @ 15:29:24
@iwannano Said

Treebee , just guessing here but is your second post how you define the term ?

No what i am saying is a lot of people say "you are playing the PC card" as some kind of defence to saying something very ignorant. For example

Them: "all immigrants are lazy bastards"

Me: "no they arent a lot work very hard and a lot came to this country with nothing at all"

Them: "you are just playing the PC card because you are scared to agree with me"

Me:
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#14New Post! Oct 13, 2009 @ 15:42:22
@treebee Said

No what i am saying is a lot of people say "you are playing the PC card" as some kind of defence to saying something very ignorant. For example

Them: "all immigrants are lazy bastards"

Me: "no they arent a lot work very hard and a lot came to this country with nothing at all"

Them: "you are just playing the PC card because you are scared to agree with me"

Me:

I understood what you said about hating being accused of playing the PC card .
The quotes in your second post is what I'm guessing is a good explanation of your definition of the term .

notts, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Oct 13, 2009 @ 15:43:23
you are not PC if:-

you support the heterosexual family unit, obviously then you must be homophobic

you subscribe to a religion but do not acknowledge others, that is just wrong and we should all promote other peoples faiths-why?

you have a view on immigration, race, gender,or any other topical issue that the establishment endorses, that you may oppose.

the list is endless, and will change dependent on the views of those engineering the pc concept.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs