Scholar: 'Jesus Tomb' makers mistaken

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2
luxurious_princess On August 29, 2007

Deleted

In the lap of luxury,
#1New Post! Mar 14, 2007 @ 03:57:30
"JERUSALEM - A scholar looking into the factual basis of a popular but widely criticized documentary that claims to have located the tomb of Jesus said Tuesday that a crucial piece of evidence filmmakers used to support their claim is a mistake.

Stephen Pfann, a textual scholar and paleographer at the University of the Holy Land in Jerusalem, said he has released a paper claiming the makers of "The Lost Tomb of Jesus" were mistaken when they identified an ancient ossuary from the cave as belonging to the New Testament's Mary Magdalene.

The film's director, Simcha Jacobovici, responded that other researchers agreed with the documentary's conclusions.

Produced by Oscar-winning director James Cameron, the documentary has drawn intense media coverage for its claims challenging accepted Christian dogma.

Despite widespread ridicule from scholars, "The Lost Tomb of Jesus" drew more than 4 million viewers when it aired on the Discovery Channel on March 4. A companion book, "The Jesus Family Tomb," has rocketed to sixth place on The New York Times nonfiction best-seller list.

The film and book suggest that a first-century ossuary found in a south Jerusalem cave in 1980 contained the remains of Jesus, contradicting the Christian belief that he was resurrected and ascended to heaven. Ossuaries are stone boxes used at the time to store the bones of the dead."

"In the interest of telling a good story, Pfann said, the documentary engaged in some "fudging" of the facts."

The rest can be found here: https://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070314/ap_on_sc/jesus_tomb
pinksparklystars On October 08, 2015

Austin, Texas
#2New Post! Mar 14, 2007 @ 04:08:34
I watched that on the discovery channel, it was pretty interesting, but it was a lot of crap, i mean seriously if they had acctually found something they would not have made that show like that

Even if they did find something it would not change my beliefs.
vavoom On December 01, 2011

Beirut, Lebanon
#5New Post! Mar 14, 2007 @ 07:50:54
@pinksparklystars Said
lol that would have been interesting, i mean how much do you
think something like that would go for? Plus what kind of person would buy it?

maybe the vatican
dragonwars On July 30, 2009

Wellington, New Zealand
#6New Post! Mar 14, 2007 @ 08:51:13
i dont understand why it challenges the belief he was resurrected? He could have just died again later and not been resurrected that time...
alexkidd On February 07, 2012
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#7New Post! Mar 14, 2007 @ 08:58:43
that kind of thing will never be proven.

for it to be true,
Jesus would have to walk out of it
(not the real Jesus either, cause the world wouldn't trust a black man. the bee gees looking Jesus from the paintings)
cure fifty blind men and fifty lepers over international television,
then give predictions on the stock market followed by an announcement that Christianity is today 'exactly' how he wanted it to be and is pure and just.

then people might say 'ok, it's Jesus' tomb'.

Wellington, New Zealand
#8New Post! Mar 14, 2007 @ 09:23:02
@alexkidd Said
that kind of thing will never be proven.

for it to be true,
Jesus would have to walk out of it
(not the real Jesus either, cause the world wouldn't trust a black man. the bee gees looking Jesus from the paintings)
cure fifty blind men and fifty lepers over international television,
then give predictions on the stock market followed by an announcement that Christianity is today 'exactly' how he wanted it to be and is pure and just.

then people might say 'ok, it's Jesus' tomb'.

erm how could he possibly say Christianity is how he wanted it to be? Many of the versions of christianity claim that the others are wrong therefore it would be impossible for them to all be right...
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#9New Post! Mar 14, 2007 @ 09:25:35
@dragonwars Said
erm how could he possibly say Christianity is how he wanted it to be? Many of the versions of christianity claim that the others are wrong therefore it would be impossible for them to all be right...

yeah ...cause it couldn't happen

Wellington, New Zealand
#10New Post! Mar 14, 2007 @ 09:32:58
@alexkidd Said
yeah ...cause it couldn't happen

oh...
im also wondering where he will get 50 leppers from they arent very common now...
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#11New Post! Mar 14, 2007 @ 09:36:15
@dragonwars Said
oh...
im also wondering where he will get 50 leppers from they arent very common now...

Ebay
johnnyposter On July 03, 2011

my box behind Arbys, Ohio
#12New Post! Mar 14, 2007 @ 19:01:20
@dragonwars Said
oh...

Isnt a lepper a type of frog?
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Mar 14, 2007 @ 19:05:20
@johnnyposter Said
Isnt a lepper a type of frog?

chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#14New Post! Mar 14, 2007 @ 20:09:41
in my opinion finding the tomb of Jesus or the ossuarie of Mary Magdalene is like finding an old skull with an inscription on the inside saying "missing link - 3 million BC"

Wellington, New Zealand
#15New Post! Mar 14, 2007 @ 20:14:09
@chaski Said
in my opinion finding the tomb of Jesus or the ossuarie of Mary Magdalene is like finding an old skull with an inscription on the inside saying "missing link - 3 million BC"

i'm still unconvinced there is a missing link....
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs