Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
ThePainefulTruth On May 06, 2013
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#1New Post! Jan 20, 2012 @ 15:28:19
15 million views in a little over a week means this guy hits home. There's even an article about it in the WSJ , but like all polemics for Christianity, this too is a mixture of Truth, wisdom and propaganda.

For the record:
Jesus was an observant Jew, who despised the Temple priesthood (not the Pharisees) of his day.

Jesus, like all humans, was right about some things and wrong about others--at least that's the picture we've inherited from history and the Bible.

He did not start the Christian Church or institute communion or claim that his death would be salvific. Those were morphed later from the original Jewish Jesus sect led by his brother James in Jerusalem (which was dispersed by the Roman sack of Jerusalem in 70 CE) by Paul. Christianity should rightly be called Paulism.

Both sides of this argument still profess a supernatural, revealed religion against all evidence to the contrary--with nothing but biblical hearsay supporting it. Belief in the supernatural, including supernatural revelation, in the face of our ever increasing knowledge, is what's driving people away from "revealed" religions. It's so obvious, some proponents have even declared that (somehow) miracles, revelations etc. stopped at some point after Jesus' time. That argument can only be reasonable if we use the beginning of the universe as that point, beyond which all is natural.

The problem with the supernatural is you can't use reason to defend it, but attempts to do so continue in abundance. If you believe, you believe, and that's all you can recommend to others--blind faith. There's not the slightest argument you can use to belay the skepticism of others.
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#2New Post! Jan 20, 2012 @ 16:18:19
Not to pick on Catholics, but I think this speaks for a large segment of "Christianity":

Let the Pope wear Prada.

And the priest preach from the pulpit,

chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#3New Post! Jan 20, 2012 @ 16:25:13
You can really pick out which shoes are prada just by looking at them while he's walking? You girl.
MadCornishBiker On January 14, 2014

Banned

St Columb Road, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Jan 20, 2012 @ 16:34:17
@ThePainefulTruth Said

15 million views in a little over a week means this guy hits home. [/QUOTE

Actually, all that having 15 millon views in a week only means that it was viewed 15 million times in a week, it says little or nothing about the viewer's reactions to it. It could just as easily have been 15 million people viewing it once and deciding it was a load of rubbish.

@ThePainefulTruth Said

For the record:
Jesus was an observant Jew, who despised the Temple priesthood (not the Pharisees) of his day.

I take it you haven't read Matthew 23 then., Jesus didn't hate anybody, however he did hate the false teachers of his day who were pulling the people away from true worship of his father. That included the Scribes, Pharisees, Saducees and all others involved with distorting the religion of his day.

As he said, his mission was primarily to the "lost sheep" of Israel who had no-one to shepherd them onrto the right path. The bible makes this perfectly clear.

@ThePainefulTruth Said

Jesus, like all humans, was right about some things and wrong about others--at least that's the picture we've inherited from history and the Bible.

Jesus was right about everything and was more than a mere human, he was perfect human, and did in fact state clearly that he was the only route to salvation, "the way the truth and the life". He also declared that no-one could come to the father except through him.

@ThePainefulTruth Said

He did not start the Christian Church or institute communion or claim that his death would be salvific. Those were morphed later from the original Jewish Jesus sect led by his brother James in Jerusalem (which was dispersed by the Roman sack of Jerusalem in 70 CE) by Paul. Christianity should rightly be called Paulism.

There is no such thing as Paulism. everything Paul taught echoed what Christ taught, as even Peter, who he told off so forcefully one day, acknowledged.

What Christ started was the true path back to his Father, and this was carried on by Paul and the Apostles after his death, and there were witnesses, as detailed in Acts, to show that Paul was in fact "drafted" rather forceably, into the company of the Apostles with a ministry mainly to the Nations. As Jesus told Ananias, by Holy Spirit, and recorded by the Apotles Luke at Acts 9:3-18 "Now as he was traveling he approached Damascus, when suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him, 4 and he fell to the ground and heard a voice say to him: “Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?” 5 He said: “Who are you, Lord?” He said: “I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. 6 Nevertheless, rise and enter into the city, and what you must do will be told you.” 7 Now the men that were journeying with him were standing speechless, hearing, indeed, the sound of a voice, but not beholding any man. 8 But Saul got up from the ground, and though his eyes were opened he was seeing nothing. So they led him by the hand and conducted him into Damascus. 9 And for three days he did not see anything, and he neither ate nor drank.
10 There was in Damascus a certain disciple named An?a?ni?as, and the Lord said to him in a vision: “An?a?ni?as!” He said: “Here I am, Lord.” 11 The Lord said to him: “Rise, go to the street called Straight, and at the house of Judas look for a man named Saul, from Tarsus. For, look! he is praying, 12 and in a vision he has seen a man named An?a?ni?as come in and lay his hands upon him that he might recover sight.” 13 But An?a?ni?as answered: “Lord, I have heard from many about this man, how many injurious things he did to your holy ones in Jerusalem. 14 And here he has authority from the chief priests to put in bonds all those calling upon your name.” 15 But the Lord said to him: “Be on your way, because this man is a chosen vessel to me to bear my name to the nations as well as to kings and the sons of Israel. 16 For I shall show him plainly how many things he must suffer for my name.”
17 So An?a?ni?as went off and entered into the house, and he laid his hands upon him and said: “Saul, brother, the Lord, the Jesus that appeared to you on the road over which you were coming, has sent me forth, in order that you may recover sight and be filled with holy spirit.” 18 And immediately there fell from his eyes what looked like scales, and he recovered sight; and he rose and was baptized, 19 and he took food and gained strength."

As this account shows, there were more than enough witnesses to Paul's appointment.

Of course Apostate Christianity now has to try to discredit Paul with lies because he was the fiercest defender of the Christian way that there was, and was the foremost fighter against that Apostasy.

@ThePainefulTruth Said

Both sides of this argument still profess a supernatural, revealed religion against all evidence to the contrary--with nothing but biblical hearsay supporting it. Belief in the supernatural, including supernatural revelation, in the face of our ever increasing knowledge, is what's driving people away from "revealed" religions. It's so obvious, some proponents have even declared that (somehow) miracles, revelations etc. stopped at some point after Jesus' time. That argument can only be reasonable if we use the beginning of the universe as that point, beyond which all is natural.

The problem with the supernatural is you can't use reason to defend it, but attempts to do so continue in abundance. If you believe, you believe, and that's all you can recommend to others--blind faith. There's not the slightest argument you can use to belay the skepticism of others.

That much is true, and both sides do have "supernatural" sources, whether it be God or Satan.

There is no such thing as biblical hearsay, since it is the word of God, and has much evidence to support it despite the desperate than God himself denials of those who would like us to think they know better.To such ones the truth really is painful.

The bible is totally defensible by reason, since it is a book of reason. If it were not I for one would not have been persuaded against my teenage atheism.
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#5New Post! Jan 20, 2012 @ 18:02:10
@chisa96 Said

You can really pick out which shoes are prada just by looking at them while he's walking? You girl.

I'm a seer with a wide range of knowledge. Regardless of its source, the Truth is the Truth.

@MadCornishBiker Said

I take it you haven't read Matthew 23 then., Jesus didn't hate anybody, however he did hate the false teachers of his day who were pulling the people away from true worship of his father.

Your contradiction right out of the starting gate is biblical in proportion. Are "false" teachers not members of the anybody class.

Quote:
Jesus was right about everything and was more than a mere human, he was perfect human, and did in fact state clearly that he was the only route to salvation, "the way the truth and the life". He also declared that no-one could come to the father except through him.

Please, spare me your baseless blind faith in divine revelation.

Quote:
The bible is totally defensible by reason, since it is a book of reason. If it were not I for one would not have been persuaded against my teenage atheism.

One blind faith interchangeable with another. You can give no example of one reasonably verifiable miracle or revelation--and there's no difference between you saying it or the Bible saying it, both are bottomless pits where you throw your sacrifices to blind faith.

He who speaks truth declares righteousness, But a false witness, deceit.--Proverbs 12:17

Banned

#6New Post! Jan 20, 2012 @ 18:13:07
@ThePainefulTruth Said

Your contradiction right out of the starting gate is biblical in proportion. Are "false" teachers not members of the anybody class.

Guilty of careless wording. What I intended to sat was that he hated false teachings.

What on earth is the "anybody" class?

@ThePainefulTruth Said

Please, spare me your baseless blind faith in divine revelation.

My faith is neither blind, nor baseless. Jesus had to be a perfect human, no other kind could have paid the ransom to give man back the chance of perfect human life on earth.

The blind ones are the ones who cannot see the truth of what the bible teaches, as Jesus himself, and the Apostles after him pointed out.

@ThePainefulTruth Said

One blind faith interchangeable with another. You can give no example of one reasonably verifiable miracle or revelation--and there's no difference between you saying it or the Bible saying it, both are bottomless pits where you throw your sacrifices to blind faith.

Not in any sense you would dare accept, no. Josephus bore witness to the fact that Jesus did many "wonderful works".

The problem is that there is no point in putting evidence in front of one who has neither the courage nor the humility to accept it. I don't doubt that, should you be alive when Armageddon strikes, you will be amongst those denying what is happening, and its source.

He who speaks truth declares righteousness, But a false witness, deceit.--Proverbs 12:17
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#7New Post! Jan 20, 2012 @ 18:44:21
@MadCornishBiker Said

Guilty of careless wording. What I intended to sat was that he hated false teachings.

And I see you chose to avoid my challenge: "You can give no example of one reasonably verifiable miracle or revelation--and there's no difference between you saying it or the Bible saying it, both are bottomless pits where you throw your sacrifices to blind faith."

Banned

#8New Post! Jan 20, 2012 @ 18:55:24
@ThePainefulTruth Said

And I see you chose to avoid my challenge: "You can give no example of one reasonably verifiable miracle or revelation--and there's no difference between you saying it or the Bible saying it, both are bottomless pits where you throw your sacrifices to blind faith."

As I said before, what is the point in putting evidence in front of you when I know from past experience that you will ignore it, and still carry on with your slanders against Paul and Christianity.

So far you have not been able to point out one thing Paul taught which was inconsistent with what Jesus taught, nor will you ever be able to do so.

I leave you to your blind bigotry. All you prove is that there is none so blind as he (or she) who refuses to see, as you have done so far.

Jesus put it slightly less tactfully when he told such as me (words in brackets my own interpolations). "6 “Do not give what is holy (God's word) to dogs, neither throw YOUR pearls (of Godly Wisdom) before swine, that they may never trample them under their feet and turn around and rip YOU open" - Matthew 7:6.

True you cannot rip me, or my faith open, because I have on the full suit of armour described at Ephesians 6:14-18 "14 Stand firm, therefore, with YOUR loins girded about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and with YOUR feet shod with the equipment of the good news of peace. 16 Above all things, take up the large shield of faith, with which YOU will be able to quench all the wicked one’s burning missiles. 17 Also, accept the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the spirit, that is, God’s word, 18 while with every form of prayer and supplication YOU carry on prayer on every occasion in spirit. And to that end keep awake with all constancy and with supplication in behalf of all the holy ones."
futilevoice On October 07, 2016

Deleted

, Illinois
#9New Post! Jan 20, 2012 @ 21:52:54
True you cannot rip me, or my faith open, because I have on the full suit of armour described at Ephesians 6:14-18 "14 Stand firm, therefore, with YOUR loins girded about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and with YOUR feet shod with the equipment of the good news of peace. 16 Above all things, take up the large shield of faith, with which YOU will be able to quench all the wicked one’s burning missiles. 17 Also, accept the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the spirit, that is, God’s word, 18 while with every form of prayer and supplication YOU carry on prayer on every occasion in spirit. And to that end keep awake with all constancy and with supplication in behalf of all the holy ones."

Translation: Please help me to continue this charade even though I know it is not real, so I will not have to experience the pain of reality concerning my own existence.
Wellard On April 29, 2012
ect.. .

Deleted

In your Mind, Cape Verde
#10New Post! Jan 20, 2012 @ 22:21:07
Repost
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#11New Post! Jan 20, 2012 @ 22:46:41
@MadCornishBiker Said

I take it you haven't read Matthew 23 then., Jesus didn't hate anybody, however he did hate the false teachers of his day who were pulling the people away from true worship of his father. That included the Scribes, Pharisees, Saducees and all others involved with distorting the religion of his day.

As he said, his mission was primarily to the "lost sheep" of Israel who had no-one to shepherd them onrto the right path. The bible makes this perfectly clear.

There is no such thing as Paulism. everything Paul taught echoed what Christ taught, as even Peter, who he told off so forcefully one day, acknowledged.

What Christ started was the true path back to his Father, and this was carried on by Paul and the Apostles after his death, and there were witnesses, as detailed in Acts, to show that Paul was in fact "drafted" rather forceably, into the company of the Apostles with a ministry mainly to the Nations. As Jesus told Ananias, by Holy Spirit, and recorded by the Apotles Luke at Acts 9:3-18 "Now as he was traveling he approached Damascus, when suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him, 4 and he fell to the ground and heard a voice say to him: “Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?” 5 He said: “Who are you, Lord?” He said: “I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. 6 Nevertheless, rise and enter into the city, and what you must do will be told you.” 7 Now the men that were journeying with him were standing speechless, hearing, indeed, the sound of a voice, but not beholding any man. 8 But Saul got up from the ground, and though his eyes were opened he was seeing nothing. So they led him by the hand and conducted him into Damascus. 9 And for three days he did not see anything, and he neither ate nor drank.
10 There was in Damascus a certain disciple named An?a?ni?as, and the Lord said to him in a vision: “An?a?ni?as!” He said: “Here I am, Lord.” 11 The Lord said to him: “Rise, go to the street called Straight, and at the house of Judas look for a man named Saul, from Tarsus. For, look! he is praying, 12 and in a vision he has seen a man named An?a?ni?as come in and lay his hands upon him that he might recover sight.” 13 But An?a?ni?as answered: “Lord, I have heard from many about this man, how many injurious things he did to your holy ones in Jerusalem. 14 And here he has authority from the chief priests to put in bonds all those calling upon your name.” 15 But the Lord said to him: “Be on your way, because this man is a chosen vessel to me to bear my name to the nations as well as to kings and the sons of Israel. 16 For I shall show him plainly how many things he must suffer for my name.”
17 So An?a?ni?as went off and entered into the house, and he laid his hands upon him and said: “Saul, brother, the Lord, the Jesus that appeared to you on the road over which you were coming, has sent me forth, in order that you may recover sight and be filled with holy spirit.” 18 And immediately there fell from his eyes what looked like scales, and he recovered sight; and he rose and was baptized, 19 and he took food and gained strength."

As this account shows, there were more than enough witnesses to Paul's appointment.

Of course Apostate Christianity now has to try to discredit Paul with lies because he was the fiercest defender of the Christian way that there was, and was the foremost fighter against that Apostasy.

That much is true, and both sides do have "supernatural" sources, whether it be God or Satan.

There is no such thing as biblical hearsay, since it is the word of God, and has much evidence to support it despite the desperate than God himself denials of those who would like us to think they know better.To such ones the truth really is painful.

Divine intervention has muted Biker.

, New Zealand
#12New Post! Jan 20, 2012 @ 22:51:44
Religion and faith are nice but I think they are mostly directed at those who were impressed enough with the world and others in it that they want to keep going and learn how to better themselves.

My own personal understanding of human genetics and psychology, which I don't think I've ever fully revealed, has led me to realize how superficial and there for futile it is to care so much.

I really don't care to be anything but completely non existent.

The Law of Attraction is a sound philosophy but it is still ruled over by the natural Law of Attractiveness.
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#13New Post! Jan 21, 2012 @ 02:11:49
@MadCornishBiker Said

As I said before, what is the point in putting evidence in front of you when I know from past experience that you will ignore it, and still carry on with your slanders against Paul and Christianity.

What slanders? if you can show any reasonable evidence for your revealed religion, I WILL listen.

Quote:
So far you have not been able to point out one thing Paul taught which was inconsistent with what Jesus taught, nor will you ver be able to do so.

Yes I have, but what can I do? You keep referring back to your biblical blind faith.

I leave you to your blind bigotry. All you prove is that there is none so blind as he (or she) who refuses to see, as you have done so far.

Quote:
Jesus put it slightly less tactfully when he told such as me (words in brackets my own interpolations). "6 “Do not give what is holy (God's word) to dogs, neither throw YOUR pearls (of Godly Wisdom) before swine, that they may never trample them under their feet and turn around and rip YOU open" - Matthew 7:6.

Another biblical anomaly. He said not to throw your pearls before swine. But in the previous verse he said not to judge lest we be judged. How can we know who the swine are if we don't judge?

Banned

#14New Post! Jan 21, 2012 @ 10:42:50
@ThePainefulTruth Said

What slanders? if you can show any reasonable evidence for your revealed religion, I WILL listen.

I have shwon you it and you have chosen to ignore it, so who is the slanderer? Not me and that's a fact.

Your unsupportable slanders against Paul brand you as such, because they go against what genuine evidence we have, as I have also shown you.

@ThePainefulTruth Said

Yes I have, but what can I do? You keep referring back to your biblical blind faith.

There is nothing blind about my faith, as I have also demonstrated to you on a number of ocassions.

All you have shown me has been the words of apostates who were desperate to discredit any who disagreed with them. All your bluster, and repetition of the lies of others will get you nowhere.

The bible is, as I have also demonstrated to you, the only reliable source of information about true and original, pre 2nd century Christianity.

@ThePainefulTruth Said

Another biblical anomaly. He said not to throw your pearls before swine. But in the previous verse he said not to judge lest we be judged. How can we know who the swine are if we don't judge?

The anomaly, as with so much else, is in your own biased, closed minded, imagination. as always you look only to see where there may be a crack, and not to work out why the apparent crack may be there. Christ told us not to judge people, and we do not unless they give us reason to do so, as you are repeatedly doing. However our judgement is only temporary allowing for the fact that people can and do change. Only God can make a definitive judgement. We can tell people that unless they change their course they will miss out on the salvation that comes to use through faith in and knowledge of the Christ. W cannot tell people that there is nothing they can do to survive, again, only God can do that.

When Jesus told us to refrain from casting "pearls before swine" he was not telling us to judge them permanently, but to judge their reaction and act accordingly.

Do you really have so little insight? Are you really such a negative person as you appear to be in your posts? I cannot judge you, only your posts which reveal yur current state of mind as expressed on here.

Start looking for both sides of the argument rather than just the negative and you may surprise even yourself.

, New Zealand
#15New Post! Jan 21, 2012 @ 11:04:11
@MadCornishBiker Said

as always you look only to see where there may be a crack, and not to work out why the apparent crack may be there.

Agree that this what most people do.

Taking the time to observe why the crack is there and proceeding to learn how to go about fixing it is a big part of empathy.

Without empathy mobs riot, burn at the stake and crucify.

I believe this is due to a defence mechanism that gets out of hand. What the preachers refer to as 'Satan' but giving that part of the mind imaginary sentience and personality only serves to fuel the fire and generate more paranoia thus throwing that side of the mind even further out of alignment.

I believe the statement "Pearls before Swine" refers to respecting yourself enough to not remain in situations where you are not appreciated, especially to the point of being disadvantaged, defamed or suppressed.

For the safety of one's self it is not good to keep trying to demonstrate good before those who only want to demonstrate harm.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs