Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...7 8 9 · >>
ThePainefulTruth On May 06, 2013
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#1New Post! Feb 29, 2012 @ 20:50:47
Much new evidence for a "Jesus Tomb" in Jerusalem.

This was released at a press conference for a book on the subject:

The Jesus Discovery

Documentary to be aired this spring.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Feb 29, 2012 @ 21:22:20
I shall probably watch that when it comes on in the UK. I find that sort of thing quite interesting.
xLETHAL_VIXENx On January 22, 2015
Logical Alien

Your pants, United States (gen
#3New Post! Feb 29, 2012 @ 21:24:53
I guess any tomb found is "Jesus's tomb" huh?

LOL, just read this part, "Discovery: A fish is carved upon the lid of the 1st century burial tomb which archaeologists believe proves they have located the resting place of Jesus"

That's the LAMEST proof in the world.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Feb 29, 2012 @ 21:27:29
@xLETHAL_VIXENx Said

probably not if its in my back garden, I am pretty sure Jesus, Elvis and Michael Jackson never came over this way.

Princess Diana works in my corner shop though.
Logical Alien

#5New Post! Feb 29, 2012 @ 21:28:16
@treebee Said

probably not if its in my back garden, I am pretty sure Jesus, Elvis and Michael Jackson never came over this way.

Princess Diana works in my corner shop though.

rose786 On December 31, 2012

Lodi, New Jersey
#6New Post! Feb 29, 2012 @ 21:28:47
intresting send some more info.
chaski On about 6 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#7New Post! Feb 29, 2012 @ 22:10:18
@ThePainefulTruth Said

The Jesus Discovery

From the link: "....the earliest archaeological evidence of faith in Jesus’ resurrection.... they also provide the first evidence in Jerusalem of the people who would later be called Christians."

So, it wasn't Jesus' tomb but a tomb of someone who might have been a follower or early christian.

Perhaps a minor point... still a very interesting archeological find.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#8New Post! Feb 29, 2012 @ 22:29:58
@xLETHAL_VIXENx Said

LOL, just read this part, "Discovery: A fish is carved upon the lid of the 1st century burial tomb which archaeologists believe proves they have located the resting place of Jesus"

That's the LAMEST proof in the world.

@chaski Said

From the link: "....the earliest archaeological evidence of faith in Jesus’ resurrection.... they also provide the first evidence in Jerusalem of the people who would later be called Christians."

So, it wasn't Jesus' tomb but a tomb of someone who might have been a follower or early christian.

Yes, what Chaski said. The fish emblem wasn't used while Jesus was in ministry. It wasn't until Christians started being persecuted that they started using the fish.
MadCornishBiker On January 14, 2014

Banned

St Columb Road, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Feb 29, 2012 @ 23:15:39
@ThePainefulTruth Said

The Jesus Discovery

Interesting. I shall watch out for that, but if you see it first I hope you'll "advertise" it on here.

To be honest I am a little dubious abut whether it is Christ's tomb, or just a fake that early Apostates rigged up, and to be completely honest, beyond the fact that it may provide some extra evidence for the existence of Jesus I don't really care.

I don't need any proof of his existence for myself, I know exactly who and what he was and is, but any "external evidence would make my life easier, lol.
Logical Alien

#10New Post! Feb 29, 2012 @ 23:16:44
@MadCornishBiker Said

Interesting. I shall watch out for that, but if you see it first I hope you'll "advertise" it on here.

To be honest I am a little dubious abut whether it is Christ's tomb, or just a fake that early Apostates rigged up, and to be completely honest, beyond the fact that it may provide some extra evidence for the existence of Jesus I don't really care.

I don't need any proof of his existence for myself, I know exactly who and what he was and is, but any "external evidence would make my life easier, lol.

I'm sure that a person named Jesus existed, it's God I want evidence about.

Banned

#11New Post! Feb 29, 2012 @ 23:29:24
@someone_else Said

Yes, what Chaski said. The fish emblem wasn't used while Jesus was in ministry. It wasn't until Christians started being persecuted that they started using the fish.

That is quite correct and struck me when I looked at the pictures a few moments ago. As far as I am aware it was only congregations in Rome during the 2nd and 3rd Centuries that persectution in Rome became so bad that they had to "go underground".

Why were they so heavily persecuted? For two reasons really. They would not take part in any form of worship of false Gods, including the Roman Empreres who were regarded as Gods, however, even worse in the eyes of some, they would take no part in Roman Civic or military life. They took to heart Jesus words that they must be "no part of this world" and, as with true Christians today often suffered for it, often being thrown to the lions in the arena or effectively murdered by Gladiators in the Circus as they refused to fight back, again following Jesus example.

Being a Christian in Rome was as bad as being one in Hitler's Germany in many ways, and in some ways even worse.

The fish emblem actually had nothing to do with Peter's previous trade as a fisherman, as some say, but was in fact a heartfelt "nod" to Jesus command that they become "fishers of men".

In precisely the same way, each true Christian is a fisher of men, preaching the "Good News of the Kingdom" at any reasonable moment. It is a command from Christ and like the 1st Century Christians they have to imitate him to show love for him, his Father, and their fellow humans.

Banned

#12New Post! Feb 29, 2012 @ 23:33:59
@xLETHAL_VIXENx Said

I'm sure that a person named Jesus existed, it's God I want evidence about.

Well then listen to that person called Jesus who told everyone who would listen about his Father, the love his Father had showed (and continues to show) for us, mostly through him, and the future his Father had planned for all who would follow His son and worship Him the way we all should do, by putting His ways in our lives.

God wants us to know Him, to understand Him and if we do we will not be able to help but love Him, that I know from personal experience. That is why He arranged for us to have the bible, inspired and protected it from man's efforts to change it.
ThePainefulTruth On May 06, 2013
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#13New Post! Feb 29, 2012 @ 23:35:47
@chaski Said

@someone_else Said

I've corresponded with Dr. Tabor and read his stuff. He's much more precise and knowledgeable about this that the idiot's they assign to cover it.

First, be careful to read that it's the first archaeological LINK to evidence of FAITH in the resurrection, NOT the resurrection itself. This is one of two tombs that are part of the same complex, about 200 feet apart. The one they did a documentary on back in 2007 was accidentally opened and studied then, and the ossuaries were collected. This one was sealed and never opened. The first one had the ossuaries that could POSSIBLY be Jesus, his mother, wife and son. Jesus was a common name.

The importance of this tomb, which is being explored with remote cameras, shows symbolic evidence of belief in resurrection. The fish symbol, harkens to the Jonah and the whale (actually a "great fish" ) story from which Johan was vomited (resurrected) in 3 days. Thus the common fish symbol as representative of Jesus.

My question is, if Jesus was buried in the neighboring tomb, why is there a bone box if he was resurrected. On the other hand, why were there ossuaries in the neighboring tomb with symbols celebrating resurrection. If that question isn't answered in the book, I'll be trying to find out. He's very busy lately with his work in Israel, this book coming out, his professorship and another book that I'm even more excited about, on Paul in November. He has a blog, and a Facebook page at James Daniel Tabor, with several entries today.

Edit:
And actually one of the implications of the fish is that it was used before the persecutions. This tomb could be no later than 70 CE when the Romans destroyed the Temple and the Jews stopped using ossuaries.
Logical Alien

#14New Post! Feb 29, 2012 @ 23:39:12
@MadCornishBiker Said

Well then listen to that person called Jesus who told everyone who would listen about his Father, the love his Father had showed (and continues to show) for us, mostly through him, and the future his Father had planned for all who would follow His son and worship Him the way we all should do, by putting His ways in our lives.

God wants us to know Him, to understand Him and if we do we will not be able to help but love Him, that I know from personal experience. That is why He arranged for us to have the bible, inspired and protected it from man's efforts to change it.

You don't understand, I want proof, not the word of someone who is dead and can't tell me anyways.
Pcptrvanion On November 10, 2014

Howe, Texas
#15New Post! Feb 29, 2012 @ 23:49:38
You have to remember that "Jesus" is the Greek form of his name.
It is NOT the name he was given as a child.
His parents named him "Joshua bar Joseph".

In the 1st Century C.E., in that part of the world, that name was about as common as "John Smith" in North America during the 19th and 20th Centuries.

There are probably thousands of authentic "Jesus tombs" from that time period...just not the right "Jesus".
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 ...7 8 9 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs