Religion & Philosophy

Does religion divide the people?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2
greyhound On December 06, 2007

St. Ann, Missouri
#1New Post! Dec 05, 2007 @ 19:21:11
I don't believe God intended for zillions of religions to exist.
What religion do you think GOD belongs to?
When Jesus came, did he say, "you are Baptist, you are pentecostal, you are lutheran, etc.?

Just think, if war ever came to US soil, do you think people would come together...would they know how...or would they proclaim, "Catholic go over here and fight, Adventist go to the left and fight, Mormons go to the south. The people wouldn't know how to organize...they would all want to be right and they would all want to lead.
operaghost On June 13, 2008

Long Island, New York
#2New Post! Dec 05, 2007 @ 19:25:08
@greyhound Said

That all depends on if this "God" does exist.
arcades On August 08, 2013

Northbay, Canada
#3New Post! Dec 05, 2007 @ 19:29:09
If there is a true religion at all wich I don't think there is. I would have to go with the jehovas witnesses because there the only religion I know of that combine constantly studying the bible with doing exactly as the bible says. As far as organised religion goes there the only bible based religion that aren't hypocrites.
crazychica On March 13, 2011
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Dec 05, 2007 @ 19:29:37
The real question should be HOW these many religions came to exist. Since you have so far onl spoken of Christian sects we'll look only at them then. The Bible is plagued with alsorts of contradictions and ambiguous statements. Some follow one interpretation, others follow others. If God even exists it's his own fault for not making himself clearer although since God is considered to be all-powerful then it is more likely to be a man-made mistake.
rubylights On November 30, 2021

Miami, Florida
#5New Post! Dec 05, 2007 @ 19:42:20
I don't believe in religions. I believe in the bible and what it tells me. Nowhere in the bible does it say that our God is a God of religion. Jehova is a God of Love. And as his follower and as a believer in his son Jesus, I make sure that I do what the bible says. Does it contradict itself? Some think so, and yet I've noticed that the more I study the Bible, the more it makes sense. The problem with some people is that they are led by someone else's interpretations of the bible. But I look at it like this: if God can reveal it to you, he can reveal it to me. So I make sure I pray and fast so that God can give me the knowledge I need to understand his scriptures. And, just between you and me, I think there are a few parts missing! shhhhhh!!!!!
Vizzy On February 20, 2012

, Florida
#6New Post! Dec 05, 2007 @ 20:21:49
@greyhound Said
When Jesus came, did he say, "you are Baptist, you are pentecostal, you are lutheran, etc.?

Just think, if war ever came to US soil, do you think people would come together...would they know how...or would they proclaim, "Catholic go over here and fight, Adventist go to the left and fight, Mormons go to the south. The people wouldn't know how to organize...they would all want to be right and they would all want to lead.

I think you meant to say denominations rather than religions. In which case, God is no denomination
green_crayon On July 31, 2009

The next town over,
#7New Post! Dec 05, 2007 @ 20:48:14
@greyhound Said

The people would very well know how to organize themselve. the shere fact that they are all different religions doesnt affect their levels of intelligence or army tactics. There are extremists and radicals who, sadly, refuse to work along the sides of religions not the same as theirs.

so in a sense, religion Does devide the people, although in my honest opinion it shouldnt. People are still people, no matter what religion you belong to. and in times of crisis, such as the hypothetical war to come to us, we can band together, hope to god, allah, or any other forms of god or supernatural being anyone followes, and defend yourself. people can still unite, although some choose not to.
billiumsetay On December 16, 2007

Ottawa, Canada
#8New Post! Dec 10, 2007 @ 02:26:47
With the question of Does religion divide, you might be interested in knowing that Jesus himself said he came to DIVIDE. How about that? It's deliberate. When Jesus saves someone and accepts him as servant, a division takes place between the person and the world he came from. Crossing over to Jesus means obtaining peace with God but hate from the world.

As for all the religions of the world, that's all man-made. There is even a lot about "Christianity" that is also man-made. Jesus didn't come to found a religion but to call people to follow him and hear his words. I would go so far as to say that "Christianity" is not the "right" religion but rather that Jesus is the person who represents God. Be a follower of Jesus not man-made religion regardless of its name (in the zillions). So logically God cannot not belong to a religion. That's like asking if the wind belongs to a nation.

However, there is a right way to God and Jesus is the one who points the way by his example, his teaching, his words. Only he can reveal himself to you if you wish to know him.
hedkandi1984_21 On July 23, 2013

London, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Dec 10, 2007 @ 02:34:11
I think religion only divides people if you let it. i think you can have your own beliefs and accept other people and their beliefs.

i'm an atheist, but i have muslim friends and christian friends and i get along well with them all.

i think the problem is that some people out there think it is wrong if people don't believe in the same thing as them, which is just stupid. after all, the bible in particular talks about free will, so surely that means we have the will to believe in God or another deity without being persecuted for it by our peers?
howzat On February 04, 2008

Deleted

Port Adelaide, Australia
#10New Post! Dec 10, 2007 @ 09:22:26
Yes religion does divide people,most religions claim their god is the right god you should worship, and be damned if you dont, thus we have wars, racial disharmony, iam right you are wrong attitude. Religion throws common sense out the window and replaces it with delusion on a grand scale.
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013