Religion & Philosophy

Catholic Church no longer teaches creationism

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
ssnot_me On February 01, 2016

big D, Texas
#1New Post! Jan 06, 2011 @ 18:54:57
https://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110106/ts_nm/us_pope_bigbang

"The Catholic Church no longer teaches creationism -- the belief that God created the world in six days as described in the Bible -- and says that the account in the book of Genesis is an allegory for the way God created the world."

ahhhh, gotta love those Catholics
crazychica On March 13, 2011
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jan 06, 2011 @ 18:56:39
@ssnot_me Said

https://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110106/ts_nm/us_pope_bigbang

"The Catholic Church no longer teaches creationism -- the belief that God created the world in six days as described in the Bible -- and says that the account in the book of Genesis is an allegory for the way God created the world."

ahhhh, gotta love those Catholics

They wouldn't have survived this long if they didn't change their tune every once in a while
ssnot_me On February 01, 2016

big D, Texas
#3New Post! Jan 06, 2011 @ 19:02:51
@crazychica Said

They wouldn't have survived this long if they didn't change their tune every once in a while

maybe they are starting to 'see the light'
crazychica On March 13, 2011
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Jan 06, 2011 @ 19:05:39
@ssnot_me Said

maybe they are starting to 'see the light'

Yeah maybe in a few centuries they'll jsut give up altogther They only change when they absolutely have to
logisticmosquito On July 20, 2014

Mount Isa, Australia
#5New Post! Jan 17, 2011 @ 16:36:26
And the only ones that can change these things are men. Perhaps they have reason to believe too many questions were being asked, that no one had the answers to, or that King David and Solomon turned the diaries of Moses into the first of the bible collection. Who knows, David might have been so happy about Solomon giving him the first page, that he got drunk and danced near naked around the arc.
Bringing that kind of thing or something like it to lite needs to be done with caution I suppose, so they start by not teaching them the first and beginning page!
hoppy On August 27, 2013

#6New Post! Jan 20, 2011 @ 11:24:31
Being Catholic isn't for cowards. Religion in general, isn't for the cowardly.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Jan 20, 2011 @ 11:47:03
@hoppy Said

Being Catholic isn't for cowards. Religion in general, isn't for the cowardly.

It's for the stupid.
hoppy On August 27, 2013

#8New Post! Jan 20, 2011 @ 11:50:08
@jmo Said

It's for the stupid.

But, that's only your stupid opinion.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Jan 20, 2011 @ 13:14:53
It's good to see that Catholicism isn't quite as rigid as it used to be. Religion is something that humans have to be able to relate to to really believe in, so it should be changing with them over time to ensure its sustainability.
Bmoney On January 26, 2011

#10New Post! Jan 25, 2011 @ 04:07:53
@jmo Said

It's for the stupid.

its for those who tried little, and decided religion helps relieve (or explain) the pain of existence at the cost of nothing more then being known to think like someone else.
Bmoney On January 26, 2011

#11New Post! Jan 25, 2011 @ 04:12:00
remember when they played albums backwards they would have satanic messages, now they're subliminal.

its nice to know satan is keeping up in these technological jumps. busy beaver
davii On January 14, 2013
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Jan 25, 2011 @ 04:16:40
@sister_of_mercy Said

It's good to see that Catholicism isn't quite as rigid as it used to be. Religion is something that humans have to be able to relate to to really believe in, so it should be changing with them over time to ensure its sustainability.

In that's case though, why bother with it at all...
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Jan 25, 2011 @ 10:58:56
@davii Said

In that's case though, why bother with it at all...

Well there is that. But if it had just remained this ancient, out of date system that couldn't find a place within modern society due to old fashioned morality, then I can't imagine it being quite as popular. It needs to relate to modern life in order for people to really connect with it (I think that's the point of sermons and discussion groups too), otherwise they won't think it actually applies to them and they won't bother to 'save' others, etc.
davii On January 14, 2013
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Jan 25, 2011 @ 11:39:38
@sister_of_mercy Said

Well there is that. But if it had just remained this ancient, out of date system that couldn't find a place within modern society due to old fashioned morality, then I can't imagine it being quite as popular. It needs to relate to modern life in order for people to really connect with it (I think that's the point of sermons and discussion groups too), otherwise they won't think it actually applies to them and they won't bother to 'save' others, etc.

The problem I find with all that, is whether the word of God, his prophets and proclaimers should be open to any such form of massaging.

I know you're talking about the philisophical understanding of it, how it relates to an understanding of society at a given point and so on, but for me, the necessity to do that has implications for it's validity eventually.

It's longevity, in my mind, has more to do with power/control and as that begins to dissolve...
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs