Catholic church brings back "Indulgences"

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
spellchick On October 02, 2012
Go away, I'm baitin'

, Oklahoma
#1New Post! Feb 12, 2009 @ 22:27:43
URL https://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/10/nyregion/10indulgence.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=catholic&st=cse

I am not Catholic, or any other denomination for that matter, so I don't understand this but it seems silly to me that anyone could actually believe that they could buy their way out of a sin. What does "God" need the money for? Can someone please educate me on this.
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Feb 12, 2009 @ 22:31:45
Just what every poor blindly religious person needs right now.
soypuke On May 13, 2009

Deleted

#3New Post! Feb 12, 2009 @ 22:40:29
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indulgence
loveis On January 15, 2010
brat-inella

Deleted

In the mirror,
#4New Post! Feb 12, 2009 @ 22:41:45
I didn't read the entire article.

But as a christian myself, I know that nobody, not even the church can "buy" anything from God...it's something we have to "earn" ourselves..

It's total crap.
eternus_somnium On April 14, 2021
clinically crackers

, United States (general)
#5New Post! Feb 12, 2009 @ 22:42:50
"You cannot buy one ? the church outlawed the sale of indulgences in 1567 ? but charitable contributions, combined with other acts, can help you earn one. There is a limit of one plenary indulgence per sinner per day.
"

This isn't about money, it's about balancing/cancelling out sins with acts of kindness and good deeds.
Go away, I'm baitin'

, Oklahoma
#6New Post! Feb 12, 2009 @ 22:48:46
@eternus_somnium Said

"You cannot buy one ? the church outlawed the sale of indulgences in 1567 ? but charitable contributions, combined with other acts, can help you earn one. There is a limit of one plenary indulgence per sinner per day.
"

This isn't about money, it's about balancing/cancelling out sins with acts of kindness and good deeds.

So giving the church money accomplishes that? Yeah, still doesn't make sense.
Go away, I'm baitin'

, Oklahoma
#7New Post! Feb 12, 2009 @ 22:50:22
@SparklyKatie Said

Just what every poor blindly religious person needs right now.

This just affirms my belief that religion is a control scheme that keeps the poor from rising up and slaying the rich.
lilbear On January 18, 2010
Aequitas / Veritas!

Deleted

, Canada
#8New Post! Feb 12, 2009 @ 22:52:35
That's why Catholicism is way behind me.... Too much Pope and not enough Jesus Christ..
Go away, I'm baitin'

, Oklahoma
#9New Post! Feb 12, 2009 @ 22:55:19
@lilbear Said

That's why Catholicism is way behind me.... Too much Pope and not enough Jesus Christ..

I can see that, but even protestant churches do tithes. So what is the difference? (I'm not trying to argue, I am sincerely trying to understand this from a difference perspective.)
brat-inella

Deleted

In the mirror,
#10New Post! Feb 12, 2009 @ 22:56:28
@eternus_somnium Said

"

Nope, even the bible will tell you those things cannot get you into heaven; but faith, and a belief in Jesus Christ, the "trinity" will..

He already paid for all of our sins; that's what the crucifixation was about.
lilbear On January 18, 2010
Aequitas / Veritas!

Deleted

, Canada
#11New Post! Feb 12, 2009 @ 22:58:51
@spellchick Said

I can see that, but even protestant churches do tithes. So what is the difference? (I'm not trying to argue, I am sincerely trying to understand this from a difference perspective.)

I can't answer your questions. I am not of any denomination. I Believe!!
Go away, I'm baitin'

, Oklahoma
#12New Post! Feb 12, 2009 @ 23:00:55
@lilbear Said

I can't answer your questions. I am not of any denomination. I Believe!!

That's good enough for me.
brat-inella

Deleted

In the mirror,
#13New Post! Feb 12, 2009 @ 23:02:30
@spellchick Said

Those are just "tokens" in the eyes of God, to Him, showing Him that we put our faith in Him enough to give in our belief...and we reap 10 fold back as a result.

And no, I'm not saying those who can't give do not reap as well..

Just showing our belief in him is greater than material things.

The acutal money, He couldn't care less about; it is, afterall, ALL His anyway.lol
eternus_somnium On April 14, 2021
clinically crackers

, United States (general)
#14New Post! Feb 12, 2009 @ 23:03:47
@loveis Said

Nope, even the bible will tell you those things cannot get you into heaven; but faith, and a belief in Jesus Christ, the "trinity" will..

He already paid for all of our sins; that's what the crucifixation was about.

I understand that, but I can also see what they are aiming for, somewhat.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#15New Post! Feb 12, 2009 @ 23:17:18
One difference is that Catholics don't believe that you can say one prayer and be born again, and feel that gets you a free ticket into heaven no matter what you have done. That every sin must be accounted for, not necessarily in hell, but purgatory. They go to confession often thought life to admit what they have done, and ask continual forgiveness for thier sins, but ultimately its never a clean slate.
An indulgence will reduce that time, but how much we don't know. and it isn't something you can throw money at, not anymore, this round seems to be more about performing charitable acts.

Here's an analogy for the soul.
It's Like one of the old black board, once you write on it, the "stain" never comes off, even when you erase it, it has to be cleaned with a solution. well in that analogy, time after death in purgatory is for using that cleaning solution, to prepare you to be all sparky pure in heaven, the "cleaner it was" the faster that time is. An absolution is like doing good deeds to get to use the fast-acting cleaner. You still, must be cleaned, but you get "credit for your efforts or trying to make up for the sins you have done."
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs