Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
Michael718 On March 16, 2010
.... Evil genius?

Deleted

Caprica City, United Kingdom
#16New Post! Sep 02, 2009 @ 09:47:36
babe they are real, but most of the stories popularly known about them are all fake. Blame Dan Brown.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#17New Post! Sep 02, 2009 @ 13:29:44
Blaming Dan Brown would be really silly. There have been hundreds of books written about Templar conspiracy theories. Dan Brown based virtually all of The Da Vinci Code off a pair of previous books, Foucault's Pendulum and Holy Blood Holy Grail.

Brown's work is very, very derivative. Everything he said had been said dozens if not hundreds of times before. You can't blame him for Templar conspiracy theories just because his book happened to become wildly popular.
retep On May 18, 2010

, United Kingdom
#18New Post! Sep 02, 2009 @ 16:39:21
Many place names in the UK are a direct link to the Templars.

Temple bar in London is one example, but there are stacks more known sites such as templar Churches in many areas of both the UK and Europe.

They were The most powerfull order of Christian knights, and even after they were forced out of existance with many being put to death stories circulated that many had survived and still followed their own codes.

There is a lot of evidence for Templar communities surviving in Scotland, and the so called white host of horsemen that is suposed to have arived at the tail end of The Battle of Banockburn to help carry the day for the Scots is thought by some to have been the Knights Templar.

The whole Knight Templar thing is a magical mixture of undisputed fact and hotly contested stories and rumour.

I quite like that, history should have lots that we may never know.

"Shrouded in the mists of time" does it for me.

If we knew it all what a sad day that would be for those of us that have a bit of imagination.
KevinK On September 22, 2009

Deleted
Banned

Derry, Ireland
#19New Post! Sep 02, 2009 @ 17:19:24
@retep Said

Temple bar in London is one example, but there are stacks more known sites such as templar Churches in many areas of both the UK and Europe.

They were The most powerfull order of Christian knights, and even after they were forced out of existance with many being put to death stories circulated that many had survived and still followed their own codes.

There is a lot of evidence for Templar communities surviving in Scotland, and the so called white host of horsemen that is suposed to have arived at the tail end of The Battle of Banockburn to help carry the day for the Scots is thought by some to have been the Knights Templar.

Temple Bar in Dublin is renoun.

The whole Knight Templar thing is a magical mixture of undisputed fact and hotly contested stories and rumour.

If we knew it all what a sad day that would be for those of us that have a bit of imagination.
WeNowSix On January 05, 2011

Deleted

Anaheim, California
#20New Post! Sep 02, 2009 @ 23:06:35
@retep Said

If one must imagine things about the Templars, one might imagine that they could have been involved in Medievil banks. The first indication might be that they had castles, which might double as treasuries. The bank of Venice might have been involved in one or more crusades, and the Templars might have been the keepers of the cash.
kaydoh On December 19, 2011

nottingham, United Kingdom
#21New Post! Sep 02, 2009 @ 23:49:43
here's a link it explains more, and mentions the banking theory

https://historymedren.about.com/od/templars/p/templars.htm
WeNowSix On January 05, 2011

Deleted

Anaheim, California
#22New Post! Sep 03, 2009 @ 00:09:46
@kaydoh Said

here's a link it explains more, and mentions the banking theory

https://historymedren.about.com/od/templars/p/templars.htm

The most often quoted date for the founding of the Bank of Venice is 1157, which is approximately coincident with the founding and growth of the Templars. They could have had a symbiotic relationship.

#23New Post! Sep 03, 2009 @ 00:28:18
@WeNowSix Said

The most often quoted date for the founding of the Bank of Venice is 1157, which is approximately coincident with the founding and growth of the Templars. They could have had a symbiotic relationship.

LOL anyone could lose me on this subject. It's something at present I don't know much about. I would be interested to learn though.
curiouskat On February 16, 2010

Deleted

Adelaide, Australia
#24New Post! Sep 03, 2009 @ 06:49:19
@kaydoh Said

LOL anyone could lose me on this subject. It's something at present I don't know much about. I would be interested to learn though.

OH i agree!!

I must admit everything i have read about them has come from fiction novels.
I have a great interest in history and find it exciting to read stories that are set in actual events in history that happened.

The problem with this though is after reading them, its impossible to seperate the fact from the myth!

Dan Brown was not the first to address the templars in his writing, and i doubt he will be the last..
rider On September 28, 2009

Deleted

The first one, Australia
#25New Post! Sep 03, 2009 @ 07:41:19
I think what you'll find is,they did excist,but like a lot of things,they've became lost in time and nobody really knows whats fact and whats fiction like a lot of things,King Arthur and Camelot,the lost City of Atlantis for instance.

I for one don't take everything that Wiki and Google say as dead set fact,we've always had experts say "this is what happened"but in thruth,it's their interpretation of what may or may not be facts.

I just finished reading a book,by Stephen J Rivell,called A Book of Days.
It's the Diary of a Knight from France,Roger,Duke of Lunel,and HIS account of the Crusades and what happened there ,it is all Fact,but nowhere in there does he make mention of the Templar Knights,now that's not to say they were in the Crusades at the very same time.

History has a way of forgetting,we have a way of turning truth and reality into romantic fantasy.In Dan Browns, Da Vinci Code,he made them sound all very romantic over there In the Crusades and trying to find Mary Magdelane,but the truth is they lived in a Time when,if you went into war you fought the other men face to face and the stench of blood and death was all around you,so where's the romance part gone??

They may still excist today,IF they did at all,there's more going on around us than we the average person knows about,or cares to want to know.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#26New Post! Sep 03, 2009 @ 12:43:53
Atlantis and Camelot are old legends. Stories.

The Knights Templar existed. There's no question about it. It's simple historical fact. We have lots of hard tangible evidence.
Michael718 On March 16, 2010
.... Evil genius?

Deleted

Caprica City, United Kingdom
#27New Post! Sep 03, 2009 @ 15:48:08
@jonnythan Said

Blaming Dan Brown would be really silly. There have been hundreds of books written about Templar conspiracy theories. Dan Brown based virtually all of The Da Vinci Code off a pair of previous books, Foucault's Pendulum and Holy Blood Holy Grail.

Brown's work is very, very derivative. Everything he said had been said dozens if not hundreds of times before. You can't blame him for Templar conspiracy theories just because his book happened to become wildly popular.

Its because his books are so wildly popular that some people believe them. The many other books arent anywhere near as famous, and for this reason the reader knows that it is merely fiction.

#28New Post! Sep 03, 2009 @ 15:50:44
@curiouskat Said

OH i agree!!

I must admit everything i have read about them has come from fiction novels.
I have a great interest in history and find it exciting to read stories that are set in actual events in history that happened.

The problem with this though is after reading them, its impossible to seperate the fact from the myth!

Dan Brown was not the first to address the templars in his writing, and i doubt he will be the last..

I've watched a few documentories on them but not enough for the info to sink in.. I'm a slow learner lol
roBingoodfElLOW On January 06, 2010
Baldylocks

Deleted

Over yonder, Tajikistan
#29New Post! Sep 19, 2009 @ 22:19:07
I admit, mr brown opened my eyes to a whole lot of learning. It was the dav code that ignighted my interests in the templars and led me to read more about them.

They definatly did exist and were a cold and brutal order not nearly as pious as a they may seem.
Charlemagne On December 10, 2012

Houston,
#30New Post! Sep 19, 2009 @ 22:36:22
The knights Templars were some of the finest fighters on earth in their day like Delta Force, or British SAS. They were equipped with the finest weapons, best horses, and underwent extensive training starting from the age of 7.

Only the very best of the best could be a Knight Templar. You had to already be a knight in very high standing to even apply unless of course you were the child of one.

Upon acceptance you had to swear an oath to the Templars and relinquish all your possessions to the order.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs