Ron Paul wants to eliminate federal student loans

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 · >>
drman321 On December 28, 2013

, Florida
#61New Post! Oct 24, 2011 @ 17:51:38
@DorkySupergirl Said

Most people who go to university are 18 years old, fresh out of high school and do not have credit established. I live in Canada but the banks here, they only typically give loans to people who have established credit and this established credit has to be good credit.

I am not sure how an 18 year old would have established good credit. They would probably need a cosigner. Its not like they have any property to put up against a loan.

A lot of the credit worries don't apply to private student loans because they NEVER go away. If you go into bankruptcy virtually everything else goes away, but not the student loans. Those bad boys are with you for life.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#62New Post! Oct 24, 2011 @ 17:51:46
@Lili Said

You used to be able to, but Obama shifted all students loans to federal. Basically just eliminated the middleman (private banks).

Obama ended federal subsidies to private banks for student loans. He didn't end private student loans.

AFAIK, anyway.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#63New Post! Oct 24, 2011 @ 17:51:56
@DorkySupergirl Said

Most people who go to university are 18 years old, fresh out of high school and do not have credit established. I live in Canada but the banks here, they only typically give loans to people who have established credit and this established credit has to be good credit.

I am not sure how an 18 year old would have established good credit. They would probably need a cosigner. Its not like they have any property to put up against a loan.

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#64New Post! Oct 24, 2011 @ 17:53:41
@DorkySupergirl Said

If one can only get a student loan via federal government, and this is done away with, students are going to university how then? Not everyone has parents that pay for it and some degrees are so expensive that working three jobs is not going to pay for it.

I get that it will cut down the federal budget spending and all but people need student loans.

In Canada, if you need a student loan, you get from province and federal government. If if America does away with federal student loan, you can get a state student loan, the way we have provincial student loans?

That's exactly my point. Some people argue that if you don't make it so easy to borrow in order to go to school, then the schools will respond by lowering their tuition. And yes, they would to a degree, But my concern is, would it be lowered enough that a person could feel confident that getting a further education was accessible to them?
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#65New Post! Oct 24, 2011 @ 17:56:23
@someone_else Said

While I can understand that, it's the lack of accepting equivalent experience in the field as an alternative. I can understand it for some fields of work, but not all.

In everything that I have seen, "standard equivalent experience" is being replaced by "minimum equivalent experience" in conjunction with certifications and/or degrees.

Even the most labor intensive jobs while may not require degrees, require some sort of certifications or required training these days. I don't think it's really disappearing, it's just that the standards are changing and therefore, the requirements are changing.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#66New Post! Oct 24, 2011 @ 17:58:17
@jonnythan Said

Obama ended federal subsidies to private banks for student loans. He didn't end private student loans.

AFAIK, anyway.

And the reason the government gave those subsidies to private banks was because private banks wouldn't give students loans otherwise. Ron Paul wants to *eliminate* the department of education. What reason would banks have to lend to students with no subsidies?
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#67New Post! Oct 24, 2011 @ 17:59:42
@Lili Said

That's exactly my point. Some people argue that if you don't make it so easy to borrow in order to go to school, then the schools will respond by lowering their tuition. And yes, they would to a degree, But my concern is, would it be lowered enough that a person could feel confident that getting a further education was accessible to them?

Tuition already is, by and large, low enough at certain schools to be accessible to anyone who really wants to go.

This won't help eliminate easy access to a college education for almost anyone. It will help eliminate easy access to expensive college educations for almost anyone.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#68New Post! Oct 24, 2011 @ 18:00:34
@Lili Said

Thanks for explaining this to me, sometimes the differences with Canada and America can make some threads confusing for me.

While university might not be a God given right, the old cliche saying of kids being the future is true. There has to be a way to allow anyone from rich to poor to be able to go to university, get a good job when they are done and help become productive members of society.

Having university so that only the rich can afford to go, its a but silly. Its only going to allow those already struggling to keep struggling for life and probably become burdens on the economy instead of contributing to it.

Saying that, if one can go to a bank and still get a loan and the approval for said loan is easier, will it really make a difference to do away with federal student loans. It would free up federal money and that is really needed but I am not sure to the degree it would hurt students if they can borrow from a bank. I guess it comes down to interest and other factors that are benefits that federal loan has compared to bank loan.

You pretty much need a degree to get any good paying job, at least here you do. So we need to have things in place so anyone who qualifies for university can go.

The way I see it, its borrowing money now but then the student gives it back not just paying the loan back but has a better job and contributes more to society and the economy.

, Florida
#69New Post! Oct 24, 2011 @ 18:00:59
@Lili Said

And the reason the government gave those subsidies to private banks was because private banks wouldn't give students loans otherwise. Ron Paul wants to *eliminate* the department of education. What reason would banks have to lend to students with no subsidies?

I don't know, maybe to secure a steady stream of business resulting from long term repayments on a large value loan with a relatively high interest rate that can never be discharged in bankruptcy?
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#70New Post! Oct 24, 2011 @ 18:01:27
@Lili Said

What do you think will happen when it's not in anyone's financial interest to give out expensive, unnecessary education loans to pay for massively inflated, unnecessary tuition rates?
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#71New Post! Oct 24, 2011 @ 18:05:59
@jonnythan Said

Tuition already is, by and large, low enough at certain schools to be accessible to anyone who really wants to go.

This won't help eliminate easy access to a college education for almost anyone. It will help eliminate easy access to expensive college educations for almost anyone.

Federal loans max out at $9,500/year for freshman and $12,500 for seniors. No one is paying for $200,000 tuitions through federal loans. Removing federal loans will reduce tuition a bit, but arguably not by much. What it does do though is make it so that the poorest people have a harder time getting a degree.

, Florida
#72New Post! Oct 24, 2011 @ 18:09:01
@Lili Said

Federal loans max out at $9,500/year for freshman and $12,500 for seniors. No one is paying for $200,000 tuitions through federal loans. Removing federal loans will reduce tuition a bit, but arguably not by much. What it does do though is make it so that the poorest people have a harder time getting a degree.

Private loans are based on the school. I know the school I went to private loans were limited to just over $10,000 a semester.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#73New Post! Oct 24, 2011 @ 18:14:55
@Lili Said

No one is paying all of a $200,000 tuition.

But that's still over $50,000 worth of tuition per student basically guaranteed to the university. That's a pretty large chunk.
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#74New Post! Oct 24, 2011 @ 18:15:05
@DorkySupergirl Said

Thanks for explaining this to me, sometimes the differences with Canada and America can make some threads confusing for me.

While university might not be a God given right, the old cliche saying of kids being the future is true. There has to be a way to allow anyone from rich to poor to be able to go to university, get a good job when they are done and help become productive members of society.

Having university so that only the rich can afford to go, its a but silly. Its only going to allow those already struggling to keep struggling for life and probably become burdens on the economy instead of contributing to it.

That is just not true. No one is saying the only the rich can go to school. Just look up how many scholarships, programs, and resources are available to the poor and tell me that we're not trying to give the poor just as much if not more a more of an advantage when it comes to being able to go to school. If money is the only factor in determining why a poor kid doesn't go to college and further, why they don't do well, shoot me now. Everyone knows that's not true.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#75New Post! Oct 24, 2011 @ 18:18:35
@drman321 Said

Private loans are based on the school. I know the school I went to private loans were limited to just over $10,000 a semester.

That was before Obama withdrew student loan subsidies from the banks. No one is getting $10,000 per semester now. So one would think that tuition should have already started dropping. Has it?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs