Closing Ceremony

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 · >>
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#46New Post! Aug 13, 2012 @ 07:42:28
It seems that the item most of the athletes at the closing ceremony wanted to take away with them was one of the blue bowler hats with the light bulb on top, worn by the marshalls who funnelled the athletes into their areas in the stadium last night.

Heathrow Airport has opened a special channel for departing athletes this morning and a large number of those passing through are sporting the light bulb bowlers.

One American fencer was asked by a reporter why they were so popular and it seems that the bowler hat is so iconic of London it was a must have. The fact that it is blue instead of black, and has a light bulb sticking out of the top just adds to the "Cool" factor.

Reports of hard bargaining are drifting out though. Some of the athletes have told what they had to trade in order to get one. Being photographed with the athlete in question... swapping their team cap..... being allowed to hold a medal for a photograph... it seems some serious bartering went on in the stadium last night..!!

Everybody should have something to take away though, and if it's only a silly bowler hat, then that's got to be good.

jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#47New Post! Aug 13, 2012 @ 08:21:46
I thought it was cringeworthily bad.

It sort of felt like an middle aged white guy trying to decide what musical heritage Britain has. The music from the opening ceremony in that smaller montage was far better.

Essentially, I'd have kept Eric Idle, The Who and Boris Johnson dancing and got rid of the rest. Could have been over in half an hour and we could have all been in bed by ten.
Deal_With_It On May 24, 2022

Stevens Pass, Washington
#48New Post! Aug 13, 2012 @ 08:23:10
@Jennifer1984 Said

Your spices...? Wow. Actually, I looked in this morning and am disappointed (but not entirely surprised) that this is being dragged out in the usual tiresome way. Good old TFS'ers have found something to use as a stick to beat somebody with and are indulging in their usual games. Tut..!!

No surprises to see who jumps on the bandwagon though, and no surprises either that it's been allowed to roll.

You really didn't get it, did you..? The point completely passed you by, didn't it..??

The comment was intended to show how these amazing women have moved on from the days when they were seen as teenage "chicks", Icons of the stick-thin imagery of the fashion media..... heck, Emma Bunton was once portrayed as being almost pre-pubescent.... into adults who now have the mature curves and bearing of fully grown women, and can yet still produce the energy and 'feelgood' of their heyday. Not only that, but there was a wonderful confidence about their performance. They put those clothes on, knowing that their womanly curves were there for all to see, but it didn't matter because they were saying "Yep, I'm bigger than I was, but I'm good with it and I can still do this routine."

The Spices were the great heroines of my adolescence. Girl Power really WAS empowering to my early teen peer group. Back then, the Spice Girls were young, fresh, sassy and they told us that we don't have to do what boys want us to do. They were our generation, telling us that we could be ourselves and that being a girl is great.

Now, it is obvious that they are no longer girls in the youthful sense, and it's a fact that neither are we, but despite the fact that they have visibly gone beyond that stage of their lives in terms of physical appearance, the zest and enthusiasm is still there. Girl Power lives on..!! They make the women of our generation, many of whom are now wives and mothers and may, by now, be looking at themselves in the mirror more critically as they notice that they too are carrying a few more pounds than they would like. But if the Spices can look like that and still be as energetic now as they once were, it makes us feel good about ourselves, too.

And that really IS a girl thing.

But of course, nobody on here quite thinks like that, do they...? An opportunity to take a cheap shot is seen and the bandwagon jumpers leap onboard with glee. I tried to play it down, but no, they couldn't leave it alone and so I have to make this rebuttal and thus prolong the silliness when I for one would rather move on.

If somebody doesn't understand what another person means, then how about asking instead of leaping to wild, inaccurate conclusions with maliciously gleeful enthusiasm. "What did you mean by that, Jen..?" would have been far better, would it not..?

OK.... That is my last word on the matter. Take it or leave it. Anyone who wants to keep it going is welcome to make themselves look totally stooooopid if they so wish. I will make no further comment on that issue.

TenaciousDave On February 11, 2022
The Anus Of Satan

Jeffrey Dahmer's Lunchbox,
#49New Post! Aug 13, 2012 @ 08:26:14
@Leon Said

How was the Who?

@Leon Said

That's a shame. They were great a few years ago for our Super Bowl halftime show.

I remember when The Who did their farewell tour back in 1982.
Deal_With_It On May 24, 2022

Stevens Pass, Washington
#50New Post! Aug 13, 2012 @ 08:37:20
@TenaciousDave Said

I remember when The Who did their farewell tour back in 1982.

Wow Dave at your age I'm surprised you remember!!
townie_guy On May 07, 2013

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#51New Post! Aug 13, 2012 @ 12:11:50
@ninozara Said

To be honest, the Commonwealth Games are a completely different kettle of fish. We had them here a few years back, and there was a brilliant atmosphere and done quite a bit for sport in the area...but it isn't the Olympics and it never will be.

I think Mel C has lost a bit of weight since the split actually, and Geri's weight has fluctuated wildly, but she is rather skinny again right now. None of them can be considered fat though, so I don't understand why you would even bring it up to be honest. Just sounds a bit catty.

I dont see the point of bringing this up either. Its got nothing to do with age. At my local gym, my Bodypump instructor is late 30's early 40's. She is in shape that would put a lot of younger women to shame. Same with a lot of people in the Bodypump and the spinning classes.

The age thing is just an excuse. If you want to stay in shape yopu can. It all comes down to personal motivation. I could easily say well Im old now and stop training. And as Im basically out the army (civvi resettlement course), I dont have structured PT as part of my daily routine anymore, so yet again I could create another excuse and just kid myself. But instead I have just joined a gym.

If people wanna put on wight then fine, but at least have the decency to just admit that you are lazy.

Reference the SPice Girls, when they were together, the whole idea was to sell music, so being fit and in shape would make them look more like sexual idols, so people would like them more and buy there music. If it was a bunch of overweight obese girls, I really doubt they would of sold.
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#52New Post! Aug 13, 2012 @ 12:46:39
@townie_guy Said

Reference the SPice Girls, when they were together, the whole idea was to sell music, so being fit and in shape would make them look more like sexual idols, so people would like them more and buy there music. If it was a bunch of overweight obese girls, I really doubt they would of sold.

treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#53New Post! Aug 13, 2012 @ 19:12:32
I thought it was f***ing awesome. It made absolutely no sense, had no narrative, no reason whatsoever.

I am sure the directors could give you a big long explanation for everything but it was a bit like that game where you throw a s***load of sticks on the ground and try and pick them up without moving the other sticks. It was chaos for the sake of fun.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#54New Post! Aug 13, 2012 @ 19:25:55
@boxerdc Said

Lol, the reason I said what I did was because I remeber when the SPice Girls first appeared on the scene. I remember when all us guys, well boys at my school went mad over them. And a copy of the Spice Girls album was like rocking horse s***. And I remeber all the Spice Girl wannabe's at the school talent show. Thinking about it, Im surprised it was even allowed as one of them was basically a strippogram. Defo a bit of the music scene I will never forget. ALthough a few years after(maybe not even that), it was pretty naff to be a Spice Girls fan.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#55New Post! Aug 13, 2012 @ 20:46:15
@townie_guy Said

Lol, the reason I said what I did was because I remeber when the SPice Girls first appeared on the scene. I remember when all us guys, well boys at my school went mad over them. And a copy of the Spice Girls album was like rocking horse s***. And I remeber all the Spice Girl wannabe's at the school talent show. Thinking about it, Im surprised it was even allowed as one of them was basically a strippogram. Defo a bit of the music scene I will never forget. ALthough a few years after(maybe not even that), it was pretty naff to be a Spice Girls fan.

This wouldn't play on my computer and I don't know if it will play here but it is the Spice World trailer. Thinking of the Spice Girls makes me think of the scene where they're in the bathroom or dressing room and (I think) Ginger Spice says "Is my skirt too short?" The other girls say no so she hikes it higher up on her thighs and says, "Okay, how about now?"

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#56New Post! Aug 13, 2012 @ 20:52:47
@someone_else Said

This wouldn't play on my computer and I don't know if it will play here but it is the Spice World trailer. Thinking of the Spice Girls makes me think of the scene where they're in the bathroom or dressing room and (I think) Ginger Spice says "Is my skirt too short?" The other girls say no so she hikes it higher up on her thighs and says, "Okay, how about now?"

Lol the craze had died out by the time the film came out. Was just obsessed teenage girls.

Speaking of teenage girls I can remember a load of girls at my school with there spice girl names. Was pretty amazing the power that the group held really.
Not a dude.

Deleted

#57New Post! Aug 13, 2012 @ 20:55:44
@townie_guy Said

Lol the craze had died out by the time the film came out. Was just obsessed teenage girls.

Speaking of teenage girls I can remember a load of girls at my school with there spice girl names. Was pretty amazing the power that the group held really.

Yes, I do remember that it was something like a last ditch effort at fame. They came onto the scene with amazing power but then fizzled when their second album came out (second to US, there may have been more. ). Then *poof* they were gone. The only "survivor" being Victoria Beckham.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#58New Post! Aug 13, 2012 @ 21:01:44
@someone_else Said

Yes, I do remember that it was something like a last ditch effort at fame. They came onto the scene with amazing power but then fizzled when their second album came out (second to US, there may have been more. ). Then *poof* they were gone. The only "survivor" being Victoria Beckham.

Yeah she is the only one who kept the fame. Probably helped that she married Mr Beckham though. I know the others did there own solo songs but where as they still went into the charts I would not say they were anywhere near as successful.

All I remember of them was watching MTV at college and they were singing that bloody depressing song. Really cant remember what its called though.
Not a dude.

Deleted

#59New Post! Aug 13, 2012 @ 21:04:54
@townie_guy Said

Yeah she is the only one who kept the fame. Probably helped that she married Mr Beckham though. I know the others did there own solo songs but where as they still went into the charts I would not say they were anywhere near as successful.

Yeah, I have a vague memory about that as well.

@townie_guy Said

All I remember of them was watching MTV at college and they were singing that bloody depressing song. Really cant remember what its called though.

They sang a depressing song? All I can remember is Wannabe and 2 Become 1 or something like that.

How long did it take for this Olympic Closing Ceremony thread to become about the Spice Girls?
x_Laura_x On April 02, 2024

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#60New Post! Aug 13, 2012 @ 21:05:59
Lol those fools who spent 3 hours last night watching it, I watched the whole thing via my Facebook news feed this afternoon.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs