AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...5 6 7 8 9 · >>
wednesday76 On February 25, 2013

Dodging the Daggers, United Ki
#91New Post! Aug 14, 2012 @ 18:11:49
@someone_else Said

Apparently it's a girl thing.

Is it?
OOhhh i knew i was missing something small attached at birth.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#92New Post! Aug 14, 2012 @ 18:13:10
slut, sub, domme, lesbian and unobtainable
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#93New Post! Aug 14, 2012 @ 18:14:34
@wednesday76 Said

Is it?
OOhhh i knew i was missing something small attached at birth.

Evidently it is. If you continue reading, you'll see what I meant.

@treebee Said

Unobtainable Spice? Is that like Melange?
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#94New Post! Aug 14, 2012 @ 18:16:31
@someone_else Said

Evidently it is. If you continue reading, you'll see what I meant.

Unobtainable Spice? Is that like Melange?

LMAO yes, Victoria Beckham was supposed to be the one you wanted but could never get. Unless you happen to be David Beckham.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#95New Post! Aug 14, 2012 @ 18:18:32
@treebee Said

LMAO yes, Victoria Beckham was supposed to be the one you wanted but could never get. Unless you happen to be David Beckham.

I had thought you might have been referring to her. Then it occurred to me that she was in a high profile marriage so ...
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#96New Post! Aug 14, 2012 @ 18:20:07
@someone_else Said

I had thought you might have been referring to her. Then it occurred to me that she was in a high profile marriage so ...

I think initially she was supposed to be unobtainable. Some guys are into that. She was so aloof she did not even sing on Wannabe.
ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#97New Post! Aug 14, 2012 @ 18:22:43
@someone_else Said

I wonder what the goal would be. Everybody set their target for a specific time and whoever gets there closest to the exact time wins?

Oh yes! The Doctor would never win though

I actually had a dream that I was at the Olympics in 2222, and we competed in planet teams, not countries. Go Team EARTH!! ...we were kind of rubbish

@treebee Said

The by-line for your new book...50 Shades of Spice?
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#98New Post! Aug 14, 2012 @ 18:28:28
@ninozara Said

Oh yes! The Doctor would never win though

I actually had a dream that I was at the Olympics in 2222, and we competed in planet teams, not countries. Go Team EARTH!! ...we were kind of rubbish

The by-line for your new book...50 Shades of Spice?

Oh god, someone will write it. A racy novel about 5 ex-girl vocalists who are sold on the slave market to taliban with giant cocks.
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#99New Post! Aug 14, 2012 @ 18:29:13
there was no Daphne and Celeste
Silver_Lining On March 21, 2023
RIP Boobie

STOKE-ON-TRENT, United Kingdom
#100New Post! Aug 14, 2012 @ 18:33:54
@treebee Said

there was no Daphne and Celeste

And now I have that song in my head.
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#101New Post! Aug 14, 2012 @ 18:35:12
B*witched anyone?
townie_guy On May 07, 2013

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#102New Post! Aug 14, 2012 @ 19:01:07
@treebee Said

B*witched anyone?

Im not gonna say a word.
ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#103New Post! Aug 14, 2012 @ 19:21:37
@treebee Said

B*witched anyone?

B*witched were awesome!

What about All Saints? The were good. I think. They did the soundtrack for The Beach at least.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#104New Post! Aug 14, 2012 @ 20:36:37
@boxerdc Said

And of course, before them, there was never a woman who sang about taking control of her own life and "girl power"

Nope... Nobody ever thought to put out an act that showed that women had power and strength before those awesome Brits.. But they're the first and the best at everything, so it's really to be expected.

Well I wasn't really commenting in the Girl Power thing, but rather commending their ability to make millions off of what it was they did, like it or not, agree with it or not.

As far as the Girl Power thing, I think Jennifer is indeed giving them a bit too much credit. Yes, girls are definitely viewed in a different, more empowering light today than in the past, but that was a work of many societal factors and influences. Certainly the Spice Girls were an avenue for the celebratory expression of such change, but it would have still been happening without them in my opinion. They were not the cause of it. As you point out, other acts have done the same thing. It was the times more than anything.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#105New Post! Aug 15, 2012 @ 12:55:07
@Leon Said

Well I wasn't really commenting in the Girl Power thing, but rather commending their ability to make millions off of what it was they did, like it or not, agree with it or not.

As far as the Girl Power thing, I think Jennifer is indeed giving them a bit too much credit. Yes, girls are definitely viewed in a different, more empowering light today than in the past, but that was a work of many societal factors and influences. Certainly the Spice Girls were an avenue for the celebratory expression of such change, but it would have still been happening without them in my opinion. They were not the cause of it. As you point out, other acts have done the same thing. It was the times more than anything.

Your last sentence makes the most sense. It was the times. All along in this thread, I've been talking about what happened to my generation. What influenced anybody else is up to them but as this whole discussion about the Spice Girls won't seem to lie down then what happened then, at that time is the most relevant thing.

I wasn't born when Aretha Franklin sang "Respect" in the USA, a song that didn't even chart in the UK (not that I can find, anyway and I've looked) and would probably never have been heard by anybody here who wasn't a dedicated fan of hers, if it hadn't been featured on the Blues Brothers movie (which also came out before I was born).

Be that as it may.

The shift in attitudes is, I agree, a longer process than being affected by one influence, but there are such things as "tipping points".... a situation where a movement can be in progress for a long time but achieves little until something happens which provides the final push. This is what I believe happened in the mid 1990's... at least in London.

There were a number of things that came together (I've already said this in previous posts) which contributed. The Internet / Mobile phone technology and market realisation that adolescent girls had greatly increased spending power were two such things.

I must confess to being a tad bemused at being told by middle aged Americans who have probably never been here, who know very little about my country or its social influences, about what happened to me in my city when I was actually in the middle of the 'revolution' and experienced it as a contemporary of that time.

I was a teenage girl, attending a south London school, was a big fan of the Spice Girls and had first hand experience of what was happening amongst me and my peers, what we felt, what our attitudes were and how it all influenced us. I was there, guys. In person.

Far be it from me to play 'one-up', but don't you think you're not really in any sort of position to tell me that I'm "Giving them too much credit"...?

We sure as heck weren't listening to Aretha Franklin, I can tell you that for certain (most of us hadn't even heard of her at that time).

It's fine to have an opinion... I'm not knocking that, but please.... making broad, sweeping statements on things you didn't experience, weren't of the same generation, and didn't even live in the same country, let alone the city where it was focused is a bit rich.

Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...5 6 7 8 9 · >>

2 browsing (0 members - 2 guests)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs