Closing Ceremony

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 ...7 8 9 · >>
ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#31New Post! Aug 13, 2012 @ 01:18:16
@Jennifer1984 Said

And plenty of men to take issue with it for whatever petty reason.

Trying to start a fight over a flippant, throwaway comment which should really mean nothing at all to you..?

Flaming for the sake of it..? Trying to stir up trouble out of nothing at all..?

I just thought, as a feminist, you wouldn't be using stereotypes such as women being unable to help but make comments on other women's weight. The frankly destructive idea that women are unable to not make nasty comments about people, that we are all catty and obsessed with each others weight.

You are the only person I know, online or irl, that has felt a need to comment on a performers weight. Which you are entitled to, but DO NOT try to justify it by saying it is a 'girl thing'.

@DorkySupergirl Said

I have BBC station and nothing said shocks me anymore. I had to goggle words because I was too afraid to use them before I knew what they meant.

We like our swears...
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#32New Post! Aug 13, 2012 @ 01:27:53
Just saw Annie Lenox.. she was fantastic, and she is as stunning as she was 30 years ago when she first started out..

I've always thought that she has one of the most beautiful faces on the planet.... and I love her voice.
rosexthorn On July 30, 2022

Winnipeg, Canada
#33New Post! Aug 13, 2012 @ 01:30:05
@boxerdc Said

Is it my imagination, or did the Olympic translator just introduce "Prince Henry of Wales" ?

Thanks for asking that question. I was too embarrassed to ask who Prince Henry was.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#34New Post! Aug 13, 2012 @ 01:30:36
@ninozara Said

I just thought, as a feminist, you wouldn't be using stereotypes such as women being unable to help but make comments on other women's weight. The frankly destructive idea that women are unable to not make nasty comments about people, that we are all catty and obsessed with each others weight.

You are the only person I know, online or irl, that has felt a need to comment on a performers weight. Which you are entitled to, but DO NOT try to justify it by saying it is a 'girl thing'.

I was just going to say this pretty much before I realised there was another page.

But yeah, didn't watch the closing ceremony but the lineup is roughly what I would have expected. Might have been nice to have someone a bit different but then I suppose it's whatever is guaranteed to be a crowd pleaser.

London, United Kingdom
#35New Post! Aug 13, 2012 @ 01:33:01
Call me naive, but you'd think Harry, being named Henry and all, would actually be called by his proper name the rest of the time.

I know there have been a lot of Henrys in the monarchy but it still seems a bit odd as Harry isn't even a variation of Henry really. It's like being called David and having people call you Steve.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#36New Post! Aug 13, 2012 @ 01:35:44
@ninozara Said

It would have been epic. Especially if it had turned into a brawl. I would have laughed.

It was probably HRH Prince Harry of Wales, though could have been Henry, that is his actual name.

@ninozara Said

We like our swears...

Oh my, I did not see this my first read through. You know, I saw during olympic coverage some of the female athletes picked apart by bloggers for their weight and even their hair do's but never the men. And yes, its quite odd someone in the position of a female advocate, even if a self proclaimed one is the only one on here making comments about women gaining weight.

Its sad you know that a discussion about sports, olympics, ceremonies for it and the celebration of all coming together turns into comments about womens weight. Its not a girl thing, its catty is what it is.

And yes, I have noticed you guys like the "c" word best. Here we say f***ing, eh a lot.
rosexthorn On July 30, 2022

Winnipeg, Canada
#37New Post! Aug 13, 2012 @ 01:37:28
And in my opinion Roger Daltrey and Pete Townsend were great for their age, many people more than half their age couldn't have held a candle to their performance to this day. Can't forget Brian May from [Queen] doing his guitar solo, then Roger Taylor being properly introduced by a video of Freddy Mercury.

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#38New Post! Aug 13, 2012 @ 01:39:49
@sister_of_mercy Said

Call me naive, but you'd think Harry, being named Henry and all, would actually be called by his proper name the rest of the time.

I know there have been a lot of Henrys in the monarchy but it still seems a bit odd as Harry isn't even a variation of Henry really. It's like being called David and having people call you Steve.

I think Harry has been used as a nickname for Henry for a long time, even in Shakespeare. Though I don't get it really either, why didn't they just call him Harry?

Deleted

#39New Post! Aug 13, 2012 @ 01:40:18
@sister_of_mercy Said

I googled it, and it seems that it's has a precedent.. Henry VIII was called Harry, and Shakespeare also used the name Harry for King Henry in two of his plays.

Deleted

#40New Post! Aug 13, 2012 @ 01:42:57
What's with the octopus?

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#41New Post! Aug 13, 2012 @ 01:47:13
@DorkySupergirl Said

Oh my, I did not see this my first read through. You know, I saw during olympic coverage some of the female athletes picked apart by bloggers for their weight and even their hair do's but never the men. And yes, its quite odd someone in the position of a female advocate, even if a self proclaimed one is the only one on here making comments about women gaining weight.

Its sad you know that a discussion about sports, olympics, ceremonies for it and the celebration of all coming together turns into comments about womens weight. Its not a girl thing, its catty is what it is.

And yes, I have noticed you guys like the "c" word best. Here we say f***ing, eh a lot.

Yes, I think I would have been annoyed whoever said (no one talks about my Spices like that!), but even more so considering who it is.

I personally find saying 'absolute w**ker' incredibly satisfying. I don't know why. And, obviously, the c word. I think that is our word - I don't even really understand why people find it sooooooo offensive.

I thought we'd have more swearing in the Olympics, but everyone has been incredibly well behaved.

London, United Kingdom
#42New Post! Aug 13, 2012 @ 01:50:51
@ninozara Said

I think Harry has been used as a nickname for Henry for a long time, even in Shakespeare. Though I don't get it really either, why didn't they just call him Harry?

@boxerdc Said

I googled it, and it seems that it's has a precedent.. Henry VIII was called Harry, and Shakespeare also used the name Harry for King Henry in two of his plays.

Oh ok, if Shakespeare thought it was legit then that's fair enough. I stand corrected. You don't hear it much these days though, it's not as obvious as say Bob for Robert.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#43New Post! Aug 13, 2012 @ 02:10:16
@ninozara Said

Yes, I think I would have been annoyed whoever said (no one talks about my Spices like that!), but even more so considering who it is.

I personally find saying 'absolute w**ker' incredibly satisfying. I don't know why. And, obviously, the c word. I think that is our word - I don't even really understand why people find it sooooooo offensive.

I thought we'd have more swearing in the Olympics, but everyone has been incredibly well behaved.

I actually thought they looked really good and it took me back to see them perform.

Here c**t is very offensive and more so said out of anger and disrespect but I have found you guys just call each other that like how many say, "b****, please"

But I have advanced, being on here, I have gone from "c" word to c**t and perhaps a few times while highly intoxicated while posting, I even spelled it you. You Brits have corrupted me!
Octavarium On December 23, 2021

Pacific North West,
#44New Post! Aug 13, 2012 @ 05:49:31
So the broadcast of the closing ceremonies just wrapped up here on the west coast and I gotta say, I thought it was great. Big-ass concert of awesomeness

My only neg is to NBC because right before The Who played they basically dropped in an hour long intermission so they could show a 'sneak peek' at some new comedy series and then the local news. Then they cut back to show the last 8 min. of the ceremonies. Had to wait an hour to see 8 minutes of finally. Way effing lame. For continuity I must say, NBC, your a c*nt.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#45New Post! Aug 13, 2012 @ 07:37:41
@ninozara Said

Your spices...? Wow. Actually, I looked in this morning and am disappointed (but not entirely surprised) that this is being dragged out in the usual tiresome way. Good old TFS'ers have found something to use as a stick to beat somebody with and are indulging in their usual games. Tut..!!

No surprises to see who jumps on the bandwagon though, and no surprises either that it's been allowed to roll.

You really didn't get it, did you..? The point completely passed you by, didn't it..??

The comment was intended to show how these amazing women have moved on from the days when they were seen as teenage "chicks", Icons of the stick-thin imagery of the fashion media..... heck, Emma Bunton was once portrayed as being almost pre-pubescent.... into adults who now have the mature curves and bearing of fully grown women, and can yet still produce the energy and 'feelgood' of their heyday. Not only that, but there was a wonderful confidence about their performance. They put those clothes on, knowing that their womanly curves were there for all to see, but it didn't matter because they were saying "Yep, I'm bigger than I was, but I'm good with it and I can still do this routine."

The Spices were the great heroines of my adolescence. Girl Power really WAS empowering to my early teen peer group. Back then, the Spice Girls were young, fresh, sassy and they told us that we don't have to do what boys want us to do. They were our generation, telling us that we could be ourselves and that being a girl is great.

Now, it is obvious that they are no longer girls in the youthful sense, and it's a fact that neither are we, but despite the fact that they have visibly gone beyond that stage of their lives in terms of physical appearance, the zest and enthusiasm is still there. Girl Power lives on..!! They make the women of our generation, many of whom are now wives and mothers and may, by now, be looking at themselves in the mirror more critically as they notice that they too are carrying a few more pounds than they would like. But if the Spices can look like that and still be as energetic now as they once were, it makes us feel good about ourselves, too.

And that really IS a girl thing.

But of course, nobody on here quite thinks like that, do they...? An opportunity to take a cheap shot is seen and the bandwagon jumpers leap onboard with glee. I tried to play it down, but no, they couldn't leave it alone and so I have to make this rebuttal and thus prolong the silliness when I for one would rather move on.

If somebody doesn't understand what another person means, then how about asking instead of leaping to wild, inaccurate conclusions with maliciously gleeful enthusiasm. "What did you mean by that, Jen..?" would have been far better, would it not..?

OK.... That is my last word on the matter. Take it or leave it. Anyone who wants to keep it going is welcome to make themselves look totally stooooopid if they so wish. I will make no further comment on that issue.

Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 ...7 8 9 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs