The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Health & Fitness:
Mental Health

The media and stigma (against mental health issues)

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
smallBUTTerflies On January 07, 2020
Weaker than homeopat

Plymouth,
#1New Post! Oct 27, 2013 @ 09:21:28
Lately in the media, mental conditions and issues have been a hot topic. For example, The Silver Linings Playbook touches on the topic of bipolar disorder and American Horror Story incorporates Depression into its plotline. Some may argue that this type of media attention will help the public gain an interest into the struggles of mental health issues, causing them to become more informed and less influenced by stigma; some people argue that the media coverage shows mental health issues in a negative light, and causes an increase in the negative stigma against those with mental health issues.
Do you think the media's portrayal of mental health issues is accurate? Does it increase or decrease the stigma against these conditions?
yami On September 11, 2016

Banned

grimsby, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Oct 27, 2013 @ 10:43:32
I really don't know, what do those that have looked into the issue think?
essenceofjme On March 05, 2024
bread ends

f***ing, Morocco
#3New Post! Oct 27, 2013 @ 11:20:06
I haven't thought of this before. I guess I would agree, some movies do bring a negative light to mental health issues. People normally don't know how to respond in the presence of someone with this type of disability. A short while ago I visited a local prison, a man who was talking to me admitted he suffered from a bipolar disorder among other things..the girl next to me tensed up and slowly walked away to the other side of the room.

I felt bad for the guy, he was definitely hurt and I could see it.
Jihadista On July 04, 2014

Deleted

Orange,
#4New Post! Oct 27, 2013 @ 13:01:29
I think these movied deal realistically with mental disorders.

Lolita - OCD
Mirage - amnesia
The Best Years of Our Lives - PTSD
The Kings Speech - stammer
Rainman - autism
To Kill a Mocking Bird - autism
The Notebook - demensia
The Three Faces of Eve - multiple personality
A Beautiful Mind - paranoid schizophrenia
Captain Newman MD - PTSD
The Man in the Grey Flannel Suit - PTSD
Twelve O'Clock High - schizophrenia
GreenAppleKing On April 23, 2015

Deleted

, United States (general)
#5New Post! Oct 27, 2013 @ 13:12:59
@smallBUTTerflies Said

Do you think the media's portrayal of mental health issues is accurate? Does it increase or decrease the stigma against these conditions?

If the mentally impaired want to be taken seriously, they have to be acknowledged in a funny mocking way first.

Think Jack from Three's Company who was a bumbling "homosexual" vs. Anderson Cooper who is a casual homosexual.

Think Al Sharpton of the 70's who was a fat angry advocate for African Americans turned respected skinny advocate for African Americans.

Michael J Fox prior Parkinson faux Republican vs Michael J Fox post Parkinson shakin and grovin without the lulz.

So, if the retarded want their fair shake they need to play the minstrel for twenty years first.
Corey On January 25, 2022

Sacramento, California
#6New Post! Oct 27, 2013 @ 18:15:05
@smallBUTTerflies Said

Lately in the media, mental conditions and issues have been a hot topic. ...and causes an increase in the negative stigma against those with mental health issues.

Some parts of the media do use mental issues in the plots. Individuals living with these conditions(in real life) vary widely in severity and types of mental states. I think that using one example in a movie etc to typify the problem is unfair to many who's situation may be vastly different from the movie portrayal. I believe that the advertizing of the drugs for treating conditions may give an unrealistic picture. When reading the side effects on the drug or treatment etc. keep in mind that those warnings are on there for a reason. I liked the made for TV series "Homeland," where the main character is suffering from a mental disorder. I do not feel that this movie series caused stigma for the condition, but may have helped understanding for people living with these kind of problems.

Corey.
Octavarium On December 23, 2021

Pacific North West,
#7New Post! Oct 27, 2013 @ 20:06:56
In a lot of cases I'd say portrayals were fairly accurate, if not over dramatized. But then that's showbiz. As far as stigmatizing, I would suppose that would depend on the nature of the portrayal. As a protagonist or antagonist. I think most of the time there is a sympathetic light shown though.
Sparklegirl On December 13, 2019
LL.M

Cumbria, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Oct 27, 2013 @ 20:52:33
@Jihadista Said

I think these movied deal realistically with mental disorders.

Lolita - OCD
Mirage - amnesia
The Best Years of Our Lives - PTSD
The Kings Speech - stammer
Rainman - autism
To Kill a Mocking Bird - autism
The Notebook - demensia
The Three Faces of Eve - multiple personality
A Beautiful Mind - paranoid schizophrenia
Captain Newman MD - PTSD
The Man in the Grey Flannel Suit - PTSD
Twelve O'Clock High - schizophrenia

The Three Faces of Eve is a fantastic film, highly recommended and portrays it very well and is good for a basic understanding of it.

Not sure I would class a stammer as a mental disorder, I see it more of a speech problem personally
Jihadista On July 04, 2014

Deleted

Orange,
#9New Post! Oct 27, 2013 @ 23:03:34
@Sparklegirl Said

Not sure I would class a stammer as a mental disorder, I see it more of a speech problem personally

Yes, I would not have thought of the King's Speech as a movie about mental disorder, but I looked at a Wikipedia list of movies about mental health, and it is on their list.

Sparklegirl On December 13, 2019
LL.M

Cumbria, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Oct 28, 2013 @ 08:04:41
@Jihadista Said

Yes, I would not have thought of the King's Speech as a movie about mental disorder, but I looked at a Wikipedia list of movies about mental health, and it is on their list.

That is strange, but at least it still worked to raise awareness which can only be a good thing
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs