Mental Health

Stigma of Mental health...

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...9 10 11 · >>
stefficles On January 18, 2009

Somewhere, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Mar 02, 2006 @ 23:31:49
OK... without trying to be PC, or empowering or anything; I want you to think of words that you associate with mental health..

Here are some of the words you probably came up with:
nutter
bonkers
barmy
loony
lunatic
psycho
psyhotic
fruitcake
straight jacket
crazy
freak
scary
creepy
dangerous?
unpredictable

Now I want you to think... how many of those words are postive words? How many of them are neutral words? And finally, how many of them were negative words? All of them? Or did you think of any that were positive?

There is such a stigma associated with mental haelth and mental disorders. We did this at uni today and I found it fascinating. I mean, we were a roomful of soon to be OT's, supposedly one of the most caring professions! And we came up with that list. It just shows how prejudiced against they are. People consider someone with a mental health problem to be dangerous and violent. Purely because that's how they are portrayed in the news. Did you know that, in 1996 46% of articles in the national press linked mental health problems with violence and criminality??? 46% that's a hell of a lot considering only approximately 8% of people with a mental health problem will probably ever commit a violent crime!
cobber On July 22, 2006

Deleted
Banned

Rockhampton, Australia
#2New Post! Mar 02, 2006 @ 23:34:06
There is a huge stigma attached to mental illness.

Look at Schizophrenia. Many people know someone with this illness(knowing it) yet we still hold the wrong beliefs of what it really is.
reiko On March 27, 2006

Deleted

New York, New York
#3New Post! Mar 02, 2006 @ 23:35:18
wacko!

#4New Post! Mar 02, 2006 @ 23:35:19
@cobber Said
There is a huge stigma attached to mental illness.

Look at Schizophrenia. Many people know someone with this illness(knowing it) yet we still hold the wrong beliefs of what it really is.

Yup... most people still think it's a split personality disorder - which it is not at all!
cobber On July 22, 2006

Deleted
Banned

Rockhampton, Australia
#5New Post! Mar 02, 2006 @ 23:39:00
People watch way too much tv. They should be on TFS!

#6New Post! Mar 02, 2006 @ 23:48:22
@cobber Said
People watch way too much tv. They should be on TFS!

yea, i agree... the tv gives mis representations of so many issues of mental health. It's unfair on the people who have mental health problems. 47% of people with mental health problems have experienced discriminatoin in the workplace, and 47% have been abused or harassed in public!!! And In the last 50 years, the number of murders commited by people with mental health problems have fallen steadily. While murders commited by "normal" people have risen. They certainly aren't normal but never mind!!!
realgonekid On December 08, 2007

Deleted

Liverpool, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Apr 12, 2006 @ 03:39:04
The stigma attached to it goes deeper than the media, I think. What is the national media but an extension of ourselves anyway? Since we as a public provide the stories and the journalists to cover them... People have an ingrained fear of mental illness, far more than some other kind of illness like AIDS or leprosy. That's because mental illness isn't sexy or often visible. People are scared of what they don't undersand, which is understandable. People are too lazy, however, to get off their backsides and bother to inform themselves; easier to fall back on the comfortable definitions of things they have little knowledge of than to say, try to learn.
shannix11 On November 09, 2011

, Canada
#8New Post! Apr 16, 2006 @ 06:35:41
OK...ummm...I've known a number of people with mental illness,some of which are bi polar disorder, personality disorder, sociopathic disorder, and Schizophrenia.

Each of those people were violent to one extent or another, whether it was to themselves or others.

Mostly mentally violent, or abusive towards others and themselves, but each also have displayed physical violence towards close family and friends.

I'm not saying that there are not people out there that are in fact mild mannered and not abusive, but that has not been my experience ever.

Also, I've spoken to a number of people whom have family members with some of the above disorders, and the same things happened to them as well.

On there stable days...I have no problem leaving my babies with them when I go out shopping...but I would not trust them on other days at all.

The unfortunate truth is that my husband and I have had to stop communication with family members due to thier violent and unpradictable nature, not for lack of love, but rather for the safty of our family.

There is a fella I love dearly that is Bi Polar and Have had to call the police because he was stalking someone, and it was a scary deal...also he has sexually assulted people...not a cool thing.

I really think in many ways we don't talk about these things as a society, so we have this unrealistic image of people...and really...these people i'm talking about would not likly display any of the violent behaviours outside there intimate group of family and friends...as it would be devistating to them if anyone found out about thier illness.

This isn't just my personal experience, but also supported by studying in psychology class, and on my own.

I would never not talk to or interact with someone at work or anything because of a mental illness, but I'd also be watching for signs of an off day etc, and take steps to take care of myself and family from any form of violent behaviour.

Namaste

Shannix

8)
shannix11 On November 09, 2011

, Canada
#10New Post! Apr 16, 2006 @ 15:38:15
squigglepiggles...sorry to there that...it isn't right to discriminate against anyone. Sorry you had to go thr some rough times because if it.

My mom is sociopathic, and I put up with weird comment s aobu ther all the time, and they didn't even know about her issue exactly.

Namaste Shannix
cobber On July 22, 2006

Deleted
Banned

Rockhampton, Australia
#13New Post! Apr 21, 2006 @ 14:40:42
My deceased brother was Paranoid Schizophrenic.

When he lived in South Australia, the mental health lot didn't have any time for him until they found it that he was a millionaire. So, they kept trying to have him involuntary admitted so they could take his assets off him and keep the money for the departments purse, as the law requires.

My mother had to live there with him to stop them from abusing the laws like that. When one of the social workers was found to be stealing food from his fridge which was feeding his young daughter, they filed a complaint against him then got him on false charges of sex abuse against his own child.

When it went to court, without the backing of the police, the deparment lost their case yet he was watched. When my brother actually thumped one of the social workers sent out for trying to force their way into his home, he was given a record and had to notify the police and mental health departments of everywhere he lived.

When he moved back to New South Wales(NSW), he couldn't live in a country town because the police would pick him up and send him to Sydney, advising that they considered him a risk to the community being Schizophrenic...he had no rights to challenge this at all.

I felt sorry for the poor bugger because the governments were after his money. Once they realised that he spent it all on drugs, they left him alone.

This story I found can be quite common.
alljive On March 03, 2007

trondheim, Norway
#14New Post! Apr 21, 2006 @ 14:54:09
"once they realised that he spent it all on drugs. they left him alone"

If that is the truth it is certainly surprisingly astute of the police.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Apr 21, 2006 @ 14:56:37
@squigglepiggles2 Said
its disgusting the way people treat it, why do they have to call it Mental Health?

why not?

Health is split into two areas both as important than the other mental and physical health.

What is wrong with the word Mental?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 ...9 10 11 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs