AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5
ThePainefulTruth On May 06, 2013
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#61New Post! Aug 08, 2010 @ 05:29:16
@bob_the_fisherman Said
Which is why John (one of the people to whom that was said), clarified its meaning. And, as Aquine already pointed out, John and others did see that according to the bible...

So John "clarified" Jesus' meaning. Where exactly did John do that, correct the 3 previous Gospel's quote of what Jesus said that is? Does it come out and say Jesus was misquoted by them? And if that's the case should we delete those Gospels from the Bible since they would be suspect? How many other contradictions with John might/do they contain.

I dare say that it isn't the first instance where things have been "clarified" in the Bible.
bob_the_fisherman On January 30, 2023
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#62New Post! Aug 09, 2010 @ 00:15:30
@ThePainefulTruth Said

So John "clarified" Jesus' meaning. Where exactly did John do that, correct the 3 previous Gospel's quote of what Jesus said that is? Does it come out and say Jesus was misquoted by them? And if that's the case should we delete those Gospels from the Bible since they would be suspect? How many other contradictions with John might/do they contain.

I dare say that it isn't the first instance where things have been "clarified" in the Bible.

No, no... people misinterpreted it in the same way you are.

In that comment from Jesus you are speaking about, he talks of various things that will happen, and will be happening, before the end. He never says in there 'and it is going to happen in your lifetime.' He says, 'you do not know when it will happen, so watch, and be prepared.'
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#63New Post! Aug 09, 2010 @ 10:34:51
@bob_the_fisherman Said

He never says in there 'and it is going to happen in your lifetime.' He says, 'you do not know when it will happen, so watch, and be prepared.'

Mat 16:28 Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.

Mar 9:1 And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power.

Luk 9:27 But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God.
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#64New Post! Aug 09, 2010 @ 10:50:53
Yes, and as Aquine explained, according to the bible, that happened... not the least of which I suppose, was the fact that they saw him after he had died (according to the bible).

It is easy to take a part of the bible and misinterpret it - in fact, it is easy to do that with anything. We all do it regularly as a part of our miserable existence as subjective beings...
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#65New Post! Aug 09, 2010 @ 11:12:43
@bob_the_fisherman Said

Yes, and as Aquine explained, according to the bible, that happened... not the least of which I suppose, was the fact that they saw him after he had died (according to the bible).

It is easy to take a part of the bible and misinterpret it - in fact, it is easy to do that with anything. We all do it regularly as a part of our miserable existence as subjective beings...

And the easiest path of all is blind faith.
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#66New Post! Aug 09, 2010 @ 11:21:21
@ThePainefulTruth Said

And the easiest path of all is blind faith.

Whatever thing we believe in, if we believe it to be 'the truth', we believe it, in the end, on something that is similar, to blind faith. That is the necessary limitation of being a subjective human. Whatever thing you choose to believe is up to you.

Although, my 'faith' is hardly 'blind' in the classic sense... I am well aware that I could be wrong. I am reasonably sure that there is a god, and believe that the Judeo-Christian version of God is the most logically probable... but that is based on years of study, not blind faith.
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#67New Post! Aug 09, 2010 @ 11:43:18
@bob_the_fisherman Said
I am well aware that I could be wrong.

I don't think you are, you dismiss those 3 passages so casually and out-of-hand. Your response merely sweeps them under the rug.
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#68New Post! Aug 09, 2010 @ 11:59:09
@ThePainefulTruth Said

I don't think you are, you dismiss those 3 passages so casually and out-of-hand. Your response merely sweeps them under the rug.

No it doesn't. It puts them in context. Context is important...

Assume with me for a moment that the bible is a book about a man who said he was god, and that, further, he said he would die, and return from the dead (the general belief of most Christians). He says these people will see the kingdom of god coming with power - him returning from the dead would be something I may say was the kingdom of god coming with power... it is not an unreasonable belief.

It is ok for you to disagree with me - but why lable my opposing view as 'blind'? I adhere to a view that is backed by a s***load of research and consideration (my own research I mean...).

Am I absolutely right? No idea... Just like everyone else. I make a choice on what I adhere to as truth based on my understanding of what is the most probable idea that corresponds to facts about the universe. It is not unreasonable of me to do so.
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#69New Post! Aug 09, 2010 @ 14:03:50
@bob_the_fisherman Said

He says these people will see the kingdom of god coming with power - him returning from the dead would be something I may say was the kingdom of god coming with power... it is not an unreasonable belief.

But it is. James, John of Revelation and even Paul didn't see it that way.
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#70New Post! Aug 09, 2010 @ 23:08:09
@ThePainefulTruth Said

But it is. James, John of Revelation and even Paul didn't see it that way.

Ok, I'll bite...

Paul said when speaking of the end time, those of "us" that are still here at the end, when Jesus returns, will be taken away. I suppose it is this you are referring to?

Now, imagine with me for a moment that I knew that the end would not come for 200 years, and some Christians came to me being afraid, because they had been told that the end had already happened. I would say to them, 'relax, you do not need to fear, at the end, all of us that are living on earth will be taken. You have nothing to worry about.' Is what I say here wrong? No. Is it a lie? No. Does the "us" refer to me or my immediate audience? No. It refers to Christians.

John refers to "living in the last hour" in a letter he wrote to someone who would not get to read the letter for several days, if you are referring to this - it is obvious when he said the "last hour" therefore, that he was speaking figuratively. Also, in one of his letters somewhere, he responded to the fact that people were misreporting the news that the end would come before he died... he said that this was not a correct view.

As to James, I have no idea.

PT - don't be offended by this, because it is not meant to be offensive. You are obviously a smart guy - the discussions we have had here would indicate that pretty clearly. So, you should also see that a semantic exercise like this is not particularly valid - it is merely a cheap shot. Unless you have studied the bible in depth and know it well and understand the times when figurative and literal language are used, this is merely the typical method of looking for sentences to take out of context... It might be fun for the protagonist, but there is, I suspect, a cornucopia of refutations of this stuff on the net... read them, rather than go over an argument that has been done to death in other places (and that you have probably had repeatedly with Christians over the years - unless of course you are getting your material from the skeptics bible or something...) If you want to attack Christianity, that is fine, but at least use a credible argument.
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#71New Post! Aug 10, 2010 @ 00:44:53
@bob_the_fisherman Said

Ok, I'll bite...

Paul said when speaking of the end time, those of "us" that are still here at the end, when Jesus returns, will be taken away. I suppose it is this you are referring to?

Now, imagine with me for a moment that I knew that the end would not come for 200 years, and some Christians came to me being afraid, because they had been told that the end had already happened. I would say to them, 'relax, you do not need to fear, at the end, all of us that are living on earth will be taken. You have nothing to worry about.' Is what I say here wrong? No. Is it a lie? No. Does the "us" refer to me or my immediate audience? No. It refers to Christians.

John refers to "living in the last hour" in a letter he wrote to someone who would not get to read the letter for several days, if you are referring to this - it is obvious when he said the "last hour" therefore, that he was speaking figuratively. Also, in one of his letters somewhere, he responded to the fact that people were misreporting the news that the end would come before he died... he said that this was not a correct view.

As to James, I have no idea.

PT - don't be offended by this, because it is not meant to be offensive. You are obviously a smart guy - the discussions we have had here would indicate that pretty clearly. So, you should also see that a semantic exercise like this is not particularly valid - it is merely a cheap shot. Unless you have studied the bible in depth and know it well and understand the times when figurative and literal language are used, this is merely the typical method of looking for sentences to take out of context... It might be fun for the protagonist, but there is, I suspect, a cornucopia of refutations of this stuff on the net... read them, rather than go over an argument that has been done to death in other places (and that you have probably had repeatedly with Christians over the years - unless of course you are getting your material from the skeptics bible or something...) If you want to attack Christianity, that is fine, but at least use a credible argument.

Semantics indeed. My comment was about your statement that the resurrection was the second coming. None of them saw it that way (and this is the first I've heard of such an idea even from the most fundamental Christian). The coming in clouds analogy was a catch phrase for that event, drawing on Daniel. All three of them still expected his imminent return after the resurrection.
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#72New Post! Aug 10, 2010 @ 00:52:58
@ThePainefulTruth Said

Semantics indeed. My comment was about your statement that the resurrection was the second coming. None of them saw it that way (and this is the first I've heard of such an idea even from the most fundamental Christian). The coming in clouds analogy was a catch phrase for that event, drawing on Daniel. All three of them still expected his imminent return after the resurrection.

huh? Now you have lost me... I was not saying that the resurrection was the second coming. he said that some people standing there with him, would not taste death until they saw the kingdom of god coming with power - well, they saw that.

before the second coming as it's called - there are lots of things that need occur. none of those things were even close to fulfilled at the time that Paul, John and James etc were writing. It is not credible to claim that Jesus was saying all of these things must occur (at which point he gives an enormous list of such things), and then say it will happen in the lifetime of people that were there... Paul, for example, had to tell the Thessalonians to relax, that day was not anywhere near close to happening because of all the things that had not happened.

There are plenty of things you could attack religion on, but the semantics of a text you give no credibility to is really not one of them... unless, as I say, *you* have studied and understand it...

Context is always a good thing...
deal1 On May 06, 2011
SECRET SQUIRREL

not of this earth,
#73New Post! Aug 10, 2010 @ 14:07:06
@ThePainefulTruth Said

The "coming in clouds" was the Transfiguration...when Christ became pure Spirit.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs