Science VS Religion?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 · >>
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#16New Post! Jan 12, 2011 @ 15:17:36
@crazylikeafox Said

Ah, and there it is, the stupidest thing on the internet ever. Read up, it's an interesting link that dispells your misunderstanding, I think (it taught me a thing or 2, at any rate).https://armariummagnus.blogspot.com/2009_10_01_archive.html

Holy crap..
If it was really the stupidest thing on the internet ever, would it really take thousands of words to dispel it? That was the longest rebuttal ever... so long in fact, that halfway through, I decided that it was easier to believe the chart instead.
crazylikeafox On June 02, 2017

McKinney, Texas
#17New Post! Jan 13, 2011 @ 00:44:50
@boxerdc Said

Holy crap..
If it was really the stupidest thing on the internet ever, would it really take thousands of words to dispel it? That was the longest rebuttal ever... so long in fact, that halfway through, I decided that it was easier to believe the chart instead.

It was a review for a book written to dispel that particular historical myth that nonetheless still persists in the average person's mind. Still, I thought it was interesting. Then again, I like history, and I've noticed not every 1 shares my passion. If you really couldn't read it then just know Christianity didn't start the Dark Ages or kill off all learning and science.
steveuk On May 15, 2012

London, United Kingdom
#18New Post! Jan 13, 2011 @ 00:47:37
Religion is nonsense.
How anyone can honestly believe that everything was made by one creator, or a group of creators, is beyond me.
Raymondone888 On January 26, 2013
Rise above the cloud

London, United Kingdom
#19New Post! Jan 13, 2011 @ 12:01:45
@steveuk Said

Religion is nonsense.
How anyone can honestly believe that everything was made by one creator, or a group of creators, is beyond me.

Well, it's not too far off the alternative if you think about it.

That the universe just came to be out of a speck (Big Bang) that just grew and grew.
deal1 On May 06, 2011
SECRET SQUIRREL

not of this earth,
#20New Post! Jan 13, 2011 @ 12:16:45
@crazylikeafox Said

It was a review for a book written to dispel that particular historical myth that nonetheless still persists in the average person's mind. Still, I thought it was interesting. Then again, I like history, and I've noticed not every 1 shares my passion. If you really couldn't read it then just know Christianity didn't start the Dark Ages or kill off all learning and science.

If anything, Monasteries actually helped preserve learning...by copying manuscripts, instead of allowing the knowledge in those books get lost either through destruction or being forgotten.
Rise above the cloud

London, United Kingdom
#21New Post! Jan 13, 2011 @ 17:56:21
Question?

If you heard a great Symphony, would you assume that it was random and just happened to come about through nature, or would you assume that it was constructed by a musical genius?

The universe is more complex than a symphony, and is indeed a work of genius.
ssnot_me On February 01, 2016

big D, Texas
#22New Post! Jan 13, 2011 @ 18:17:52
@Raymondone888 Said

Question?

If you heard a great Symphony, would you assume that it was random and just happened to come about through nature, or would you assume that it was constructed by a musical genius?

The universe is more complex than a symphony, and is indeed a work of genius.

i don't agree with the symphony comparison. for one thing not all of them are great. and how much crap could have been written before the great one came about? there might be a bunch of crap universes out there that we don't even know about. we just might be lucky to be in the right one that works or sustains us.
Rise above the cloud

London, United Kingdom
#23New Post! Jan 13, 2011 @ 18:54:59
@ssnot_me Said

i don't agree with the symphony comparison. for one thing not all of them are great. and how much crap could have been written before the great one came about? there might be a bunch of crap universes out there that we don't even know about. we just might be lucky to be in the right one that works or sustains us.

If you had read correctly, you would have noticed that I said "GREAT"
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#24New Post! Jan 13, 2011 @ 18:59:02
oooh ummmm its like rock em sock em robots, lets get religion and science into the ring and see if they make out or knock each other out.
ssnot_me On February 01, 2016

big D, Texas
#25New Post! Jan 13, 2011 @ 19:02:09
@Raymondone888 Said

If you had read correctly, you would have noticed that I said "GREAT"

fine, you said great. but what might be 'great' to you, might not be to everyone.
ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#26New Post! Jan 13, 2011 @ 19:13:02
I don't think people have to choose between the two, they aren't mutually exclusive. There are religious scientists, and religious people who appreciate and learn from science.

I think they have different functions, fulfil different questions. I don't like the idea that you can only have one or the other.
Rise above the cloud

London, United Kingdom
#27New Post! Jan 13, 2011 @ 19:23:31
@ssnot_me Said

@ssnot_me Said

fine, you said great. but what might be 'great' to you, might not be to everyone.

Well, a bit like strumming really
alk1975 On August 11, 2016

Jackson, Missouri
#28New Post! Jan 14, 2011 @ 03:59:17
@Raymondone888 Said

Well, it's not too far off the alternative if you think about it.

That the universe just came to be out of a speck (Big Bang) that just grew and grew.

I've always thought the big bang coincided more with creationism than science. I personally think big bang is a crock, but who am I to say. I am too young to remember the beginning of the universe.

Personally I have always thought that if it is possible for a supernatural being to have had no beginning and no end to have just always been, then it is equally possible that the universe and all the matter in it has always just been, forever, with no beginning and no end, but constantly changing, but constant in mass/volume, not that we will ever be able to prove it or measure it or anything. Some things are meant to be wondered about.
crazylikeafox On June 02, 2017

McKinney, Texas
#29New Post! Jan 14, 2011 @ 06:06:58
@deal1 Said

If anything, Monasteries actually helped preserve learning...by copying manuscripts, instead of allowing the knowledge in those books get lost either through destruction or being forgotten.

There's no question they did exactly that. We really need to get rid of the myth. It simply doesn't match what history clearly shows us.
Rise above the cloud

London, United Kingdom
#30New Post! Jan 14, 2011 @ 12:42:04
@ssnot_me Said

Well, Great symphony's are generally recognised by those that have ears for music. Perhaps it's just those unappreciative type's that don't see them as great works of art.

Like monkeys for instance.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs