The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Politics

School low achievers are white and British..

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
markfox01 On October 23, 2021
innit!

Welshman in Brum.., United Kin
#1New Post! Jun 22, 2007 @ 11:43:26
White British pupils make up more than three quarters of low achievers in English schools. They are also more likely than any other ethnic group to do persistently badly at school.

And, according to a study published today by the Joseph Rowntree Foundation, nearly half of all pupils who leave school without any or with few qualifications are white British males.

Researchers from the London School of Economics and the University of Oxford also found that low-achieving white schoolboys outnumbered girls by three to two.

The research, led by Robert Cassen, of the LSE, aimed to identify the reasons why tens of thousands of students in England leave school at 16 each year with no or few qualifications. Last year about 28,000 pupils achieved no GCSE passes and almost a quarter or 146,000 scored no passes above D grade.

https://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/education/article1969156.ece
yummyher On January 19, 2009

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jun 22, 2007 @ 11:44:54
Thats actually pretty suprising.
i wounder whats making all these white boys under achive?
chillinlikevillins On June 22, 2007

Banned

, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Jun 22, 2007 @ 11:45:08
It's hardly surprising that the majority of 'low achievers' are whites when the majority of the population is as well
yummyher On January 19, 2009

London, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Jun 22, 2007 @ 11:47:08
@chillinlikevillins Said
It's hardly surprising that the majority of 'low achievers' are whites when the majority of the population is as well

aah good point.
i didn't think of that
im a tad stupid.

im probably a low acheiver!
chillinlikevillins On June 22, 2007

Banned

, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Jun 22, 2007 @ 11:47:51
@yummyher Said
aah good point.
i didn't think of that
im a tad stupid.

im probably a low acheiver!

innit!

#6New Post! Jun 22, 2007 @ 11:49:25
This country like to look after the minority over the majority, its in my opinion our failing and the fall of the UK.

One set of rules is what is needed.
angelcake On January 18, 2016
Say whaaa

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Jun 22, 2007 @ 11:50:32
school sucks, it's horrible, boring and most of the time is uninspiring. Everything is expensive as well, and the prospect of going out and earning money right now is far more appealing to people than going to college and being broke.
innit!

#8New Post! Jun 22, 2007 @ 12:02:37
When i was in school, i left to want to work for a living.. i took a traineeship before join the airforce.. i was on ?25 a week learning to weld, machine, fabricate, fix cars, solder, electronic/eletrics etc... you name it i was taught it. Theres nothing like that now..
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Jun 22, 2007 @ 12:15:04
White people make up most of the British population anyway, of course most under-achievers in British schools are are white! This is just a classic example of how the media can portray obvious statistics as being sensational.
How hard can it be to see that?
Shug On March 17, 2011

Dewsbury/Leeds, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Jun 22, 2007 @ 12:18:40
If the standard of English on these boards is anything to go by, the entire
country is f***ed!
xphile2868 On July 01, 2015

Preston, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Jun 22, 2007 @ 14:19:01
If anyone reads anything into that statistic then they are pretty stupid. When you realise that about 90% of British people are white, of course more white kids will underacheive.
hedkandi1984_21 On July 23, 2013

London, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Jun 23, 2007 @ 21:13:49
my sister found an article which said that underachieving isn't restricted to race but to class. that is, underachievers are more likely to be working class, whatever their race. i think its the same story, but it talks about the class differences too.

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/6223968.stm
imb4u2 On May 23, 2008

Hamilton, Canada
#13New Post! Jun 23, 2007 @ 21:58:20
Quote:
underachievers are more likely to be working class, whatever their race. i think its the same story, but it talks about the class differences too.

Understandable--- the vast majority of any population will go to public school (I think that in the UK private schools are called "public" schools but in this context I am referring to schools used by the public) and at these schools the classes are larger, the budgets are smaller and the care devoted to each student is far less than in the private schools. The tendency in a "school factory" is to have lower standards for passing thru the school and the teachers are less devoted to education. Get em in, pass them on and get them out.
In Canada & the States there are many kids in the 9th and 10th years that can barely read (or speak) and if it weren't for fast food joints & retail stores, would be unemployable. It's a good thing also that there are a lot of drugs around just waiting to be sold on a part time basis or most of the illiterates would starve.
hedkandi1984_21 On July 23, 2013

London, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Jun 23, 2007 @ 22:03:22
@imb4u2 Said
Understandable--- the vast majority of any population will go to public school (I think that in the UK private schools are called "public" schools but in this context I am referring to schools used by the public) and at these schools the classes are larger, the budgets are smaller and the care devoted to each student is far less than in the private schools. The tendency in a "school factory" is to have lower standards for passing thru the school and the teachers are less devoted to education. Get em in, pass them on and get them out.
In Canada & the States there are many kids in the 9th and 10th years that can barely read (or speak) and if it weren't for fast food joints & retail stores, would be unemployable. It's a good thing also that there are a lot of drugs around just waiting to be sold on a part time basis or most of the illiterates would starve.

standards are the same whether youre in a private school or public school, thanks to New Labours tightening of OFSTED inspections (I can't remember what that stands for, though). then there is the fact that middle class parents can pay for tutors, working class children often live in over crowded condition, so they won't have anywhere to study. . . even their diet is a factor. . . i studied poverty in sociology last term and education was one of the subjects we touched on.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Jun 24, 2007 @ 09:54:44
Could it be that working and lower class white people are the "cant be arsed" generation?

Now before anyone is offended please realise im not talking about everyone. But i bet you got someone down your street, white lower/working class who does f*** all, thier parenting is questionable to say the least. In a time where 11 and 12 year old boys are already on ASBO's and the parents dont give a f*** about it.

Are those people really bothered about thier children's education? Do you think they even look in thier school books?

We have a nation of kids with kids who had a bad time at school and thus teach thier children that school is a pile of s*** and worthless. If parents hold no value to education then how on earth are the children going to pay any attention at school?

We are misguided, thinking all our children need is what they are being taught at school. Times have changed and it is those who help themselves that will prosper and those who sit back with the mentalilty that "i pay my tax, the school should do its job" who will suffer.

They are right.. the school damn well should do its job but it cant. With more and more special needs, a tougher curriculum than we ever had, less and less ways of enacting any kind of discipline they are loosing the battle. And the kids that DO want to learn are hindered by bad behaviour in the classroom every single day.

Now a broad sweeping statement, it appears that a lot of black, asian and catholic children are smarter. I say its because the parents are stricter about education (generally speaking) and the average white british parent lives with thier head in the sand about what the education system is actually like nowdays.

Thats my theory anyways.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs