News & Current Events

Catholic school pupils forced to wear muslim dress on mosque visit

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...5 6 7 · >>
sarky On March 11, 2011

london, United Kingdom
#1New Post! May 17, 2010 @ 22:15:09
Pupils at a Catholic school were told they were to go on a school trip to a mosque, must each pay ?3 to the mosque and wear muslim dress.
If they refused to wear Muslim dress as one pupil did, they would be branded as truants by a non attendance on the school register.

I just wondered if Muslim pupils would be effectively forced to attend a church?
JuanSmith On September 11, 2020
Shilsh-Aash yatasay

Near Eucalyptus Trees, Califor
#2New Post! May 17, 2010 @ 22:23:44
could you provide a link?
i know you said you weren't very computer savvy but it's really not that hard.
all you have to do is copy the URL from the address bar on the top of your screen.
usually starts with an https://www.whateversiteyouareon.com
then you click this little image on the left of of the posting area on your page
<-- click on the icon that looks like this to the left and a pop up window appears. you then paste the URL https://www.whateversiteyouareon.com, click OK and voila.
ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#3New Post! May 17, 2010 @ 22:27:45
Link?
lefty On July 19, 2018
AKA: friendlybear

Oh, Canada
#4New Post! May 17, 2010 @ 22:58:35
That wasn't very hard to find with Google
Catholic school girl marked as truant...
WASH On June 04, 2012

LINCOLN, California
#5New Post! May 17, 2010 @ 23:08:28
I would fire Mr> Lee. He overstepped the power of his office. He stepped on the right of the student to refuse to go and then have all students to pay to enter the mosque?
sAeGeSpAeNe On October 05, 2021
Part-time Nidologist

The other Bristol..., Connecti
#6New Post! May 17, 2010 @ 23:09:34
The entire issue is farsical,.... And, I especially like the letter home, indicating that "...a voluntary contribution is required..." Not in my dictionary!

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#7New Post! May 17, 2010 @ 23:10:04
I don't understand what the problem is. It was a compulsory trip, and she didn't go on it. If she didn't have a valid reason it's truancy.

And not wanting to wear a headscarf is NOT a valid reason. They were asked to as a mark of respect, Catholic/Christian religions do not have the same dress codes.

If the girl loves learning so much, then the mother has done her an injustice. Going to the Mosque would have been educational and interesting, and stayed with her a lot longer than looking at it in a book.

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#8New Post! May 17, 2010 @ 23:12:44
@sAeGeSpAeNe Said

The entire issue is farsical,.... And, I especially like the letter home, indicating that "...a voluntary contribution is required..." Not in my dictionary!

Every school trip has a 'voluntary contribution'. But it isn't quite as simple as that.

The money is required to run the trip, but it is referred to as voluntary as some families may not be able to afford it. As it is a 'compulsory' trip for educational purposes the school should allow people in financial difficulty to forgo the payment.

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#9New Post! May 17, 2010 @ 23:15:50
@WASH Said

I would fire Mr> Lee. He overstepped the power of his office. He stepped on the right of the student to refuse to go and then have all students to pay to enter the mosque?

I didn't realise that school was voluntary these days? Also, the ?3 was more likely to be for the cost of the coaches.
sAeGeSpAeNe On October 05, 2021
Part-time Nidologist

The other Bristol..., Connecti
#10New Post! May 17, 2010 @ 23:20:55
@ninozara Said

Every school trip has a 'voluntary contribution'. But it isn't quite as simple as that.

The money is required to run the trip, but it is referred to as voluntary as some families may not be able to afford it. As it is a 'compulsory' trip for educational purposes the school should allow people in financial difficulty to forgo the payment.

Mincing words in such a fashion is, in my eyes, a deceitful and treacherous act, worthy of a good stiff boot up the ass... There is a distinction to be made between anything that is voluntary, and that which is compulsory. If the school director doesn't know the difference, he ought to expell himself for impersonating a person with a brain.
_Samantha_ On May 19, 2010

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#11New Post! May 17, 2010 @ 23:22:08
What a pile of crap. If she doesnt wanna go or pay, she doesnt wanna. End of. A nd wear Muslim dress? What a cheek!
lefty On July 19, 2018
AKA: friendlybear

Oh, Canada
#12New Post! May 17, 2010 @ 23:24:03
I wonder what would have happened if Muslim students were told they had to remove their head scarves to be able to enter a courtroom on a school outing? It is a common sign of respect to remove head coverings before entering courtrooms.

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#13New Post! May 17, 2010 @ 23:24:46
@sAeGeSpAeNe Said

Mincing words in such a fashion is, in my eyes, a deceitful and treacherous act, worthy of a good stiff boot up the ass... There is a distinction to be made between anything that is voluntary, and that which is compulsory. If the school director doesn't know the difference, he ought to expell himself for impersonating a person with a brain.

It is a bit of an odd one, but it's been on every school trip letter I've seen since I was in school. My brother is currently in primary school, so my mother hasn't had a child out of compulsory education for 15 years. It has always been the same.

It is really voluntary, but without it the trip won't run. That's why people with difficulties are 'let off' but those who are able to pay 'must'.

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#14New Post! May 17, 2010 @ 23:28:31
Actually, it wasn't the school requirements to wear a headdress - it was the MOSQUES.

Quote:
4. When entering the mosque chambers or halls, women should cover their hair and head with a scarf.

Visit form for Mosque <----Just a warning, that is a PDF, so might slow your computer!!

The school was simply following the rules of the Mosque, like you would have to on any school trip.

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#15New Post! May 17, 2010 @ 23:29:51
@lefty Said

I wonder what would have happened if Muslim students were told they had to remove their head scarves to be able to enter a courtroom on a school outing? It is a common sign of respect to remove head coverings before entering courtrooms.

Is it the court rules? If not then they wouldn't be told to take them off.

I'm pretty sure I've seen court illustrations of defendants/witnesses wearing a headscarf...
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 ...5 6 7 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs