Parenting through corporal punishment

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
marcus On July 12, 2009

Banned

Membar, Liechtenstein
#1New Post! Mar 30, 2007 @ 13:34:31
Is it right for a parent to hit his/her child when the child has done something wrong?

Is it a good method? Is it needed, or are there better ways of parenting which does not include physical punishment?
angelcake On January 18, 2016
Say whaaa

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Mar 30, 2007 @ 13:45:46
depends on the degree of hitting and whether it classes as abuse. I mean I always got a slap on the back of the legs for being really naughty and i always got warnings before i did get a slap.

As far as i'm concerned it's a last resort because sometimes you just can't reason with children, as long as it doesnt do any damage them or verge on abuse and is occasional and used only as a last resort i think it'd fine for young children but as soon as you can use alternative methods such as reasoning or grounding or something like that it's not necessary.

I also think it's got an appropriate time and place for example a 3 year old is playing in the kitchen, you ask them to go play in the living room because your cooking. they won't so you ask them again and they still don't. You remove them from the kitchen but they come back in and almost knock something off the stove. Then a slap on the back of the legs is fine you warned them and it's a last resort and they know that they shouldn't play in the kitchen.

Before you say child guards, I climbed over child guards from the age of 1 and a half, and at one point climbed over then fell down the stairs.
treacle On July 11, 2009

B/Stoke, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Mar 30, 2007 @ 13:51:14
I dont have a problem with the occasional smack or slap. I think there is a line and you have to be careful.

I used to get a smack on my bum if I was really naughty, and like angelcake said, I had warnings beforehand. I think children need boundries and i think smacking gives you that.

It never did me any harm
hallucinogenic_lipstick On January 25, 2022
Cocksocket.

Ely, Cambridgeshire, United Ki
#4New Post! Mar 30, 2007 @ 14:02:03
Yep same here, i was smacked as a kid but there was always either a warning or the count to 3.

Kids are hard work
treacle On July 11, 2009

B/Stoke, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Mar 30, 2007 @ 14:07:39
Yes they are. And i think people underestimate it.
Kasabian On May 25, 2009

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Mar 30, 2007 @ 14:16:37
my gf has 2 and she never hits them

she has resorted to the occasional sting on the hand or head if their really playing up.

I see nothing wrong in smacking, my mum used to grab mine and my sisters hair and bash are heads together
musicmaniac4ever On October 05, 2007

Pensacola, Florida
#7New Post! Apr 25, 2007 @ 16:34:34
Spanking frequently is necessary as long as it doesn't go into abuse.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Apr 25, 2007 @ 16:36:32
hmmmmmm depends on the kid, some kids dont respond at all to corporal punishment, you have to use psychological stuff.

Im not against smacking a child as long as it doesn't leave a mark and as long as the child is too young to reason.

By thrashing a child you are only teaching it that conflict is resolved by violence.
sazzie On August 22, 2010

Being naughty :P, United Kingd
#9New Post! Apr 25, 2007 @ 16:38:15
A quick sharp shock is really what it's about. I smack the backs of hands even now and mine are 13, 11 and 8.
They know they have had to be really bad before I'll resort to that though.
wertyserty On September 23, 2007

Deleted

#10New Post! Sep 06, 2007 @ 00:42:57
No, no. Hitting is not permitted. I've definitely not enjoyed abuse and it's only taught me to hate my father. You wouldn't want your child(ren) to grow to hate you, would you? It's definitely not a good method. It's not needed and there are better ways of punishment which do not include physical punishment. Well...that's about as far as I can get you because I've never been exposed to any other way. But, I know they are out there in the world being exercised...somewhere. And they're highly successful! I do know that not all children will understand and follow one method. You'll have to try different things and not just give up after one try. But, most definitely do not harm your child in such a way. ...Yeah...that probably didn't help...
mummy24angels On September 25, 2007

, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Sep 20, 2007 @ 11:24:22
I don't disagree with a short sharp slap now and again but i do prefer to punish my children in other ways like grounding,removal of playstation no sweets/magazines etc.However i have also been known to slap bottom/legs if they push too far.I always give my children a warning first.My eldest child is coming up 13 and he has been smacked about four times in his life.I and my brother &sisters were smacked as children and it never done any of us any harm.I have known people that really smack there children for very trivial things and often smack to hard or in places like the head ,to me hitting across the head is a big no no !!!,i suppose it's each to there own
queenofhearts On December 16, 2009

, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Sep 20, 2007 @ 11:27:16
If mine done something that was totally out of order then yes they do get a smack but not the type to leave marks.

But before they do they have umpteen warnings.

If not then its up to there bedrooms.
starr998 On June 09, 2012

, Australia
#13New Post! Sep 22, 2007 @ 12:16:03
open hand, light smack on fleshy part (bottom) = acceptable
using impliments, across the face, closed fist = NEVER acceptable
angelcake On January 18, 2016
Say whaaa

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Sep 22, 2007 @ 12:19:12
@starr998 Said
open hand, light smack on fleshy part (bottom) = acceptable
using impliments, across the face, closed fist = NEVER acceptable

i have to say i agree, it should only ever be a open handed slap on the backs on the legs or bottom.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Sep 22, 2007 @ 12:22:34
I think smacking is fine. I mean looking back, when my parents shouted at me I didn't mind and it wouldnt make me stop what I was doing, but when they even threatened a smack I would stop instantly.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs