The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Relationships:
Parenting

Corporal Punishment- Is it right for parents to hit their children?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>
xnuvax On April 06, 2010

Deleted

SYDNEY, Australia
#1New Post! Apr 21, 2009 @ 15:49:11
If your child was being a brat, would you punish them by hitting them?
Or even slapping?
Do you believe it is right?

I think in this day and age, it is morally wrong, but I see so many parents do it. I don't believe this is the right way to discipline them, because they learn this behaviour as right. So if they got into an argument with anyone, they will believe that they deserve to be hit.

I know my little cousin is an indisciplined brat and sometimes I just want to slap her, but there's NO way I would do it. Mind you, they bash me all the time. If I say STOP IT, they come attacking me with whatever they can get their hands on, or they throw a fist at me.

Temper tantrums.
Tako_400 On April 19, 2010
Keep Ya' Head Up

Deleted

Beirut, Lebanon
#2New Post! Apr 21, 2009 @ 15:52:22
@xnuvax Said

If your child was being a brat, would you punish them by hitting them?
Or even slapping?

I think in this day and age, it is morally wrong, but I see so many parents do it. I don't believe this is the right way to discipline them, because they learn this behaviour as right. So if they got into an argument with anyone, they will believe that they deserve to be hit.

I know my little cousin is an indisciplined brat and sometimes I just want to slap her, but there's NO way I would do it. Mind you, they bash me all the time. If I say STOP IT, they come attacking me with whatever they can get their hands on, or they throw a fist at me.

Temper tantrums.

I'd smack them right across the head. I hate it when those kids especially in the US get to beat the crap out of their parents. You respect your parents and never ever touch them or scream at them. (Unless you know, in the extreme cases when your dad's raping your mom or something.)
hedkandi1984_21 On July 23, 2013

London, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Apr 21, 2009 @ 15:52:46
I was hit as a child and I turned out alright. One of my cousins wasn't, and she's a rude, spoilt little brat. I fully support slapping your kids, but it also has to go alongside proper discipline and teaching your kids right from wrong
xnuvax On April 06, 2010

Deleted

SYDNEY, Australia
#4New Post! Apr 21, 2009 @ 15:53:15
@Tako_400 Said

I'd smack them right across the head. I hate it when those kids especially in the US get to beat the crap out of their parents. You respect your parents and never ever touch them or scream at them. (Unless you know, in the extreme cases when your dad's raping your mom or something.)

Fair enough.
evababy1 On July 29, 2010
Speechless

lodi, New Jersey
#5New Post! Apr 21, 2009 @ 15:54:40
I have thought about this a lot. And although I do think it is necessary for just a slap on the wrist or something similar, I don't think I would actually do it. I can't really say yet because before even giving birth I said I never would and I can control my own daughter and so on, so on, but Eva can be quite a menace sometimes, and I have felt that urge...but I can't say I'd give in. I think as she gets older we're just going to have to have strict discipline. Hope it works!!
MlissaBeth On February 13, 2013
Wait for it!

Tucson, Arizona
#6New Post! Apr 21, 2009 @ 15:55:55
I avoid spanking by all means necessary. But there is a limit. When my daughter crosses it, she gets spanked.

The same will go for my baby. Of course when she is a bit older.
xnuvax On April 06, 2010

Deleted

SYDNEY, Australia
#7New Post! Apr 21, 2009 @ 15:56:16
@evababy1 Said

I have thought about this a lot. And although I do think it is necessary for just a slap on the wrist or something similar, I don't think I would actually do it. I can't really say yet because before even giving birth I said I never would and I can control my own daughter and so on, so on, but Eva can be quite a menace sometimes, and I have felt that urge...but I can't say I'd give in. I think as she gets older we're just going to have to have strict discipline. Hope it works!!

I think strict discipline minus the violence would be most effective. I know it would be hard not to, when they can be such a pain sometimes, but I think it would be best not to use that strategy.
Wait for it!

Tucson, Arizona
#8New Post! Apr 21, 2009 @ 15:57:34
@evababy1 Said

That's what my sister said. Now her daughter is 3 and the biggest pain in the a** ever. She acts like she is the adult and will tell someone "No" without a second thought. And she sticks to it as well. She will scream and cry and shout until she gets her way and my sister almost never gets time away from her because of her behavior.
Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#9New Post! Apr 21, 2009 @ 15:57:43
Now 'Corporal Punishment' is different then a slap on the a** or hand. CP is using a belt, fists, sticks or something else close at hand.

At times my kids have gotten a slap on the hand or butt, but never to the extent where there are marks or bruises. It does not happen a lot in my house. I grew up without physical discipline as a kid. Just the odd time when I did something severe....like throwing rocks at a new sports car. I do every other kind of discipline possible; a slap on the hand or butt is the last resort.
beatboxer On March 25, 2010

, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Apr 21, 2009 @ 15:59:08
what about ignoring them? dont they act that wau because they want attention?
Aden On November 28, 2014

, Canada
#11New Post! Apr 21, 2009 @ 16:00:16
Mine do. Not that I'd ever consider raising a hand to them...lol
I don't know,Maybe sometimes it could be needed, but probably not. Talking usually always gets furthur.
But if you do I definately think you gotta be careful about how you hit them cause..that's not cool. lol
xnuvax On April 06, 2010

Deleted

SYDNEY, Australia
#12New Post! Apr 21, 2009 @ 16:00:45
@Dark_Tink Said

Now 'Corporal Punishment' is different then a slap on the a** or hand. CP is using a belt, fists, sticks or something else close at hand.

At times my kids have gotten a slap on the hand or butt, but never to the extent where there are marks or bruises. It does not happen a lot in my house. I grew up without physical discipline as a kid. Just the odd time when I did something severe....like throwing rocks at a new sports car. I do every other kind of discipline possible; a slap on the hand or butt is the last resort.

I'm referring to intense corporal punishment as well. I know I got belted BIG TIME. I used to get hit on the head with the solid part of the knife. It used to be my punishment. But I'm also asking whether slaps and spanks are right as well as more severe punishments.
Wait for it!

Tucson, Arizona
#13New Post! Apr 21, 2009 @ 16:01:19
@Aden Said

Mine do. Not that I'd ever consider raising a hand to them...lol
I don't know,Maybe sometimes it could be needed, but probably not. Talking usually always gets furthur.
But if you do I definately think you gotta be careful about how you hit them cause..that's not cool. lol

When my daughter has crossed the line, she gets spanked. And then when she is done pouting, I talk to her.
Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#14New Post! Apr 21, 2009 @ 16:04:25
@beatboxer Said

what about ignoring them? dont they act that wau because they want attention?

Sometimes ignoring their 'fits' work, but not when it gets to the point that things are being thrown or broken, or a certain noise level.

A good thing that works, is when they are playing quietly and behaving, go in the hug them, tell them that you love them and that they are "colouring a wonderful picture" or "you are doing a great job with your Legos!" stuff like that. It works wonders! To a kid negative attention (getting yelled at) is still attention...it's what they crave.
Wingsy On November 26, 2023
wingsdillialicious!

Wingsville,
#15New Post! Apr 21, 2009 @ 16:06:51
There's a difference between spanking and abuse. A smack on the butt with a bare hand is usually a matter of getting junior's attention more than anything else. Throwing junior against the wall is inappropriate.

When I was little, throwing a tantrum in the store meant a smack on the butt. Throwing a tantrum at home meant mommy ignoring us until we settled down, at which point, she would say "now. What is it that you want?"
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs