Philosophy

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 · >>
sazzie On August 22, 2010

Being naughty :P, United Kingd
#16New Post! Apr 17, 2007 @ 19:57:03
@unspokenwords Said
Not all the time, there are things that you or no one else can control, people might have the power to delay it from happening but we do not have enough to stop something that is eventually going to happen.

I don't think we can control the actions of others at all. Unfortunately what they do does have an impact on a wider base. These people should think before they act.
perspicacious On November 28, 2014

?, United Kingdom
#17New Post! Apr 17, 2007 @ 19:59:16
@marcus Said
I don't believe in it. I'll know if it's true or not soon though. I watch The Amazing Race. There's currently a discussion going on whether The Beauty Queens who had yielded Eric and Daniel, would lose because of "Yield Karma". Till now, they have not.

To answer to you question seriously - I don't believe in it. I believe in what people do. Of course, there are consequences to all actions and several factors affect those actions (there may even be external factors which can be very bad - like corruption or murder). This is not karma. I believe that one's purpose in life is to do only good deeds. Whatever happens is a consequence of what you did and the linked actions of others in the same environment as you are.

And how would you define a 'good deed'?
angelcake On January 18, 2016
Say whaaa

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
#18New Post! Apr 17, 2007 @ 20:06:55
life isn't all about thinking though. You have to go with feelings sometimes. At the end of the day emotions will over ride logical thought, if something feels right you'll go with it rather than if something feels wrong.
MonkeyMadness On April 08, 2015
Lord of your mum

Big Tree, United Kingdom
#19New Post! Apr 17, 2007 @ 20:07:49
I dont believe in karma, it just dont make sense to me
unspokenwords On October 16, 2019

#20New Post! Apr 17, 2007 @ 20:09:07
@jonnythan Said
It's not depressing to accept the realities of the universe.

I don't put my trust or rely on some made-up being or power or idea to provide me with comfort or happiness. I create my own comfort and happiness in my own life, and I think I'm a stronger individual for it.

I don't have imaginary friends, I have real friends. I don't have imaginary powers controlling my life, I control my own life. I don't have some external being deciding my destiny, I control my own destiny. I have no one to blame but myself for my personal failings.

*shrug*

I think it's a very *free* feeling. I'm not encumbered by anything that's totally fabricated out of thin air. I'm not bound by any imaginary forces or powers. I'm my own human being, and I'm in control.

Neither do I, or does it help any to put all your faith on one thing, it's not going to get you anywhere sitting there praying for something while it is right in front of you, you need to push for the extra step and get it done. I am not religious but I do believe there is something, Can't say I follow it but I still believe things happen for a reason and karma.. blah blah but I am not going to depend on it, it's just nice believing in something when you are at rock bottom but it doesn't mean you can't do for yourself. There is so much you can control..

#21New Post! Apr 17, 2007 @ 20:14:50
I couldn't agree more and if it was in my power to do so then I'd have done it a long time ago.

Whatever isn't in my power or I am unable to do something then I have ro rely on others and I'm not very good at doing that. I like to do stuff myself. I wish I could've controlled the things that have gone wrong in my life but I couldn't.

So I suck it up, take it on the chin and go another day and see what that holds for me. Hopefully something better than the day before.

All those that know me will tell you that I go out of my way to help others either to feel better or physically if it's within my power to do so.

One day I do know in my heart that things will turn around for me and I will be happy.
perspicacious On November 28, 2014

?, United Kingdom
#22New Post! Apr 17, 2007 @ 20:18:49
@sazzie Said
I couldn't agree more and if it was in my power to do so then I'd have done it a long time ago.

Whatever isn't in my power or I am unable to do something then I have ro rely on others and I'm not very good at doing that. I like to do stuff myself. I wish I could've controlled the things that have gone wrong in my life but I couldn't.

So I suck it up, take it on the chin and go another day and see what that holds for me. Hopefully something better than the day before.

All those that know me will tell you that I go out of my way to help others either to feel better or physically if it's within my power to do so.

One day I do know in my heart that things will turn around for me and I will be happy.

All you have to do is think about all the people in the world worse off than you.

People starving. People oppressed. People who would kill for the opportunity to trade places with you.

Living in this country you are automatically better off than more than 2/3's of the world.

In the worse case scenario you will always have a roof over your head and food to eat, purely because you live in Great Britain. Most of the world worry about these things before they can consider happiness.

(I'm not having a go!)
pickway On February 16, 2011

Maidstone, United Kingdom
#23New Post! Apr 17, 2007 @ 20:19:15
I'm a beleiver in Karma, I really hope that one day you will be very happy, and have all the things you need sazzie.

#25New Post! Apr 17, 2007 @ 20:22:29
@perspicacious Said
All you have to do is think about all the people in the world worse off than you.

People starving. People oppressed. People who would kill for the opportunity to trade places with you.

Living in this country you are automatically better off than more than 2/3's of the world.

In the worse case scenario you will always have a roof over your head and food to eat, purely because you live in Great Britain. Most of the world worry about these things before they can consider happiness.

(I'm not having a go!)

I was going to say, you think I don't?

I do every day and thank my lucky stars that I have a roof over my head, food in my cupboards and I'm very mentally capable.
I actually has a sister-in-law that fights for life every single day, she has heart and lung failure. She was given a month to live in November (I think) and she's still here

Her and Mickey are my inspiration.
bigpete On April 20, 2008

Cardiff, United Kingdom
#26New Post! Apr 17, 2007 @ 20:23:34
Karma is a stupid idea and so is luck. It cant be proved, seen, touched, tasted or smelt.

But it is so ingrained in our thinking that it is ever present in our evaluation on any given situation.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#27New Post! Apr 18, 2007 @ 07:33:58
I LOVE the idea of Karma I love those commercials where someone in the world does something smart and someone does something dumb

I do think what goes around comes around but i cant put that down to actual karma, i mean we all have ups and downs and usually a nasty person will be slapped in the face by thier actions at some point.

I love the idealology of it, that the basic teaching is that whatever we do to another will be repaid, whether its good or bad and its not a bad philosophy to hold in life.

I am only spiritual in the fact that i try to be a good person. Its not that i beleive good things will come to me nor do i think it will secure a place in a cushty afterlife somewhere. But I do beleive anger and hatred WILL make you sick whether it be physically or mentally. Emotion plays a huge part in wellbeing.

However, nobody really knows Whatever floats your boat
dragonwars On July 30, 2009

Wellington, New Zealand
#28New Post! Apr 18, 2007 @ 07:57:44
There is man made Karma, if you are nice to people they will be nicer back if you are mean they will be meaner back.
bellestrange On March 08, 2012
Coo Coo Kachoo

South Australia, Australia
#29New Post! Apr 18, 2007 @ 10:43:34
I do.

I growled at my daughter unnecessarily and promptly spilled filthy frypan water down my pants and all over the kitchen floor

Actually, there's(a sentence from) an awesome Aussie hip hop track my ex used to play a lot, and what it says rings true to me: Divine intervention is for you to create.

hk00 On July 09, 2007

Savannah, Georgia
#30New Post! Jun 18, 2007 @ 02:07:53
I don't believe in Karma in the religious sense, but like many here to some degree what goes around comes around. Yeah, there are plenty of good people who get f***ed over, but those same people have seen their acts rewarded in simple ways like a returned kindness, or somebody inspired by them and what they represent. And yeah, there are plenty of people who profit over wrongdowing, but eventually or in some way they get theirs, like waking up one day to realize no one actually cares about them, just their money or wanting their power, and would laugh at their eulogy, or if they live by the sword, they really do tend to die by the sword.

Marcus said: "I think it's a very *free* feeling. I'm not encumbered by anything that's totally fabricated out of thin air. I'm not bound by any imaginary forces or powers. I'm my own human being, and I'm in control."

Well said! Letting go of a blind faith is scary for most, but it is indeed quite liberating.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs