The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Religion & Philosophy

Horoscopes (and all the other quiz-bulls***) are bulls***.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 · >>
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#31New Post! Dec 14, 2010 @ 20:50:15
@KulliK357 Said

No it is bulls***.
Really, i'm not even joking, it's like, completely f***ing stupid.

Nearly everyone in the middle east is either a jew or a muslim, and they both take their religion very very seriously, it's a major part of their laws in those countries.
Does that mean that Yahweh or Allah are real? No, it doesn't.

Did i say middle east? No...look at you labeling everyone!

I said Hawaiian, I said Native American, I said Indian (which is not middle east and not Muslim), I said Asian which includes China, japan, Korea, I said Africa which are tribes outside of it who some don't even believe in God.

You're looking at things through a one way looking glass and that's fine if you want to but that to me is also bulls*** because its a very naive view as well.
KulliK357 On July 15, 2013
Sausage Snowman

Dingwall,Scotland, United King
#32New Post! Dec 14, 2010 @ 20:52:36
@boobagins Said

I said Hawaiian, I said Native American, I said Indian (which is not middle east and not Muslim), I said Asian which includes China, japan, Korea, I said Africa which are tribes outside of it who some don't even believe in God.

You're looking at things through a one way looking glass and that's fine if you want to but that to me is also bulls*** because its a very naive view as well.

Oh and obviously the native americans and asians are so much smarter than those ignorant middle easterns.
I was parodying your argument.
It's a logical fallacy to say that the number of people who believe something equates to evidence for it.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#33New Post! Dec 14, 2010 @ 20:54:12
@boobagins Said

I don't think that was his point....I think he meant that a large number of people believing it and basing their lives off of it doesn't make it real.

However - if we're going to look at astrology like a religion (which it is to some people) then, shouldn't we have the same attitude? Like: as long as they're not shoving it down my throat, to each his own.

jmo. (literally, I'm not calling him out. )
galastaray On June 08, 2016
honey bucket

Deleted

Honey Bucket, Reunion
#34New Post! Dec 14, 2010 @ 20:56:15
@someone_else Said

Okay, I kinda get what you're saying, but those things don't have anything to do with horoscopes or quizzes. They have everything to do with relationship.

You also seem to be saying that everybody conforms to a label that they're given. So if I called you kind, you would be kind. That's not true. The trait comes first, then the label. You can't label a spoon as a shovel and then expect it to be a shovel just because someone said it was.

True. But I'm not kind because I'm "kind," I'm "kind" because, according to your claim (let's say you knew me and made one), doing an act of kindness makes me "kind." Whereas the correct scenario should be that I'm doing what I do, not what "kind" people do. And it just so happened that I did kind acts repeatedly. But that does not make me a "kind" person. I'm still who I am. If there ever is a case of murder, people will look elsewhere because I'm known to be "kind" whereas in reality I was never "kind," I was just me and deserved and equal amount of suspicion coming in my direction. NOT EVERYONE conforms to a label they're given. Some people just dish it out. All I'm saying is that today, society thrives on this. It thrives on describing people falsely. Descriptions or labels should merely be used as a reference point today and I think should never be taken to heart.
Ko On January 25, 2011
\\m/(>.<)\\m/

949 Orange County, California
#35New Post! Dec 14, 2010 @ 20:59:17
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#36New Post! Dec 14, 2010 @ 20:59:23
@KulliK357 Said

Oh and obviously the native americans and asians are so much smarter than those ignorant middle easterns.
I was parodying your argument.
It's a logical fallacy to say that the number of people who believe something equates to evidence for it.

No...and I never said that. Its you that's putting words in my mouth. IF anything you labeled everyone that remotely goes has any belief in horoscopes and the likes to be bulls***.

I didn't lot a whole population into one view and call them all bulls***, you did.

I was simply telling you that its naive to do that when there are so many other people that scattered apart from each other with absolute no connection to cultures have the similar mysticism in their history.

If you have never felt love...yet another person has.

Does love exist or not?
KulliK357 On July 15, 2013
Sausage Snowman

Dingwall,Scotland, United King
#37New Post! Dec 14, 2010 @ 21:01:20
@boobagins Said

No...and I never said that. Its you that's putting words in my mouth. IF anything you labeled everyone that remotely goes has any belief in horoscopes and the likes to be bulls***.

I didn't lot a whole population into one view and call them all bulls***, you did.

I was simply telling you that its naive to do that when there are so many other people that scattered apart from each other with absolute no connection to cultures have the similar mysticism in their history.

If you have never felt love...yet another person has.

Does love exist or not?

Oh christ.
Read my posts.
Read them with your mind and not just your eyes.
Try to percieve the meaning of each and every word and phrase.
Try to understand what my point is.
Then see what it means in relation to what you said.
Then leave me alone
honey bucket

Deleted

Honey Bucket, Reunion
#38New Post! Dec 14, 2010 @ 21:02:44
@someone_else Said

I'm going to label you right now. You are extraordinarily pessimistic. But, what if you're not? Are you going to be pessimistic because I said you were? Have I somehow made you conform to a lie?

Is a 'label' always a lie?

What if a 'label' (since you have made it such a broad definition) builds up a person's self confidence. It doesn't change who they were, it just makes them aware that other people noticed. So, they take a chance that they wouldn't have taken without that encouragement and something wonderful comes out of it - a promotion, a boyfriend/girlfriend, some kind of fame - how is that negative? That person never falsely identified themself.

No, no, no, no. What you're doing here is a whole other argument. Whether this is good or bad is not the point of discussion here. What we're discussing here is whether this is bulls*** or truth, and so far you're on the side of truth (more or less) and I'm on the side of bulls*** (more or less). Let me clarify: A label is essentially a lie, yes, because it does not describe what type of person you are. The type of person you are is indescribable and that is the core of your individuality. If you describe me as pessimistic, I cannot BE pessimistic and I CANNOT NOT BE pessimistic. What I am is what I am and that is me. If you were to think of me as pessimistic, the only thing that would bring about that thought would be my actions that you've observed. But all you have observed are my actions right now. All you have observed are a few minutes (or hours, whatever) of me, and WHAT I AM might be different tomorrow, the day after that, or the day after that.
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#39New Post! Dec 14, 2010 @ 21:03:31
@someone_else Said

I don't think that was his point....I think he meant that a large number of people believing it and basing their lives off of it doesn't make it real.

I didn't understand it that way...I understood his post as saying that it's all bulls*** even in the littlest form.

If you ask me what I think of people basing their lives off of it. I'd tell you its stupid.

But that doesn't mean I don't' see some truth in it. There is just as much evidence for it as there is against it...but to discard it and call it stupid all...to me IS stupid and naive.

I thought he meant it was ALL bulls***, in any form.

Now..if he means people that live their life by it...then I can argue that while I don't agree with it...its' still that persons right to live they way they choose.
Not a dude.

Deleted

#40New Post! Dec 14, 2010 @ 21:03:53
@Galastaray Said

True. But I'm not kind because I'm "kind," I'm "kind" because, according to your claim (let's say you knew me and made one), doing an act of kindness makes me "kind." Whereas the correct scenario should be that I'm doing what I do, not what "kind" people do. And it just so happened that I did kind acts repeatedly. But that does not make me a "kind" person. I'm still who I am. If there ever is a case of murder, people will look elsewhere because I'm known to be "kind" whereas in reality I was never "kind," I was just me and deserved and equal amount of suspicion coming in my direction. NOT EVERYONE conforms to a label they're given. Some people just dish it out. All I'm saying is that today, society thrives on this. It thrives on describing people falsely. Descriptions or labels should merely be used as a reference point today and I think should never be taken to heart.

"Descriptions or labels should merely be used as a reference point today and I think should never be taken to heart."

I think quite a few people feel this way. I've had a lot of people tell me "So and so is like this (insert some trait)" and I've responded, "Well, they're always nice to me."

Like I said before, it's about relationships. One person's relationship with a someone is different than another's. Only the person in question knows what they, themselves, are really like.
Not a dude.

Deleted

#41New Post! Dec 14, 2010 @ 21:06:57
@Galastaray Said

No, no, no, no. What you're doing here is a whole other argument. Whether this is good or bad is not the point of discussion here. What we're discussing here is whether this is bulls*** or truth, and so far you're on the side of truth (more or less) and I'm on the side of bulls*** (more or less). Let me clarify: A label is essentially a lie, yes, because it does not describe what type of person you are. The type of person you are is indescribable and that is the core of your individuality. If you describe me as pessimistic, I cannot BE pessimistic and I CANNOT NOT BE pessimistic. What I am is what I am and that is me. If you were to think of me as pessimistic, the only thing that would bring about that thought would be my actions that you've observed. But all you have observed are my actions right now. All you have observed are a few minutes (or hours, whatever) of me, and WHAT I AM might be different tomorrow, the day after that, or the day after that.

Apparently we're cross-talking now. See my other post.
honey bucket

Deleted

Honey Bucket, Reunion
#42New Post! Dec 14, 2010 @ 21:07:29
@someone_else Said

Like I said before, it's about relationships. One person's relationship with a someone is different than another's. Only the person in question knows what they, themselves, are really like.

I know, I know, but the relationship aspect of it is trivial. What I'm arguing here is that no one is really like something. All you can be is yourself. Once people start telling you what you are like, you lose who you really are and become those descriptions.
Not a dude.

Deleted

#43New Post! Dec 14, 2010 @ 21:10:02
@boobagins Said

I didn't understand it that way...I understood his post as saying that it's all bulls*** even in the littlest form.

If you ask me what I think of people basing their lives off of it. I'd tell you its stupid.

But that doesn't mean I don't' see some truth in it. There is just as much evidence for it as there is against it...but to discard it and call it stupid all...to me IS stupid and naive.

I thought he meant it was ALL bulls***, in any form.

Now..if he means people that live their life by it...then I can argue that while I don't agree with it...its' still that persons right to live they way they choose.

It really doesn't look like the two of you are disagreeing, you're just speaking different languages.
Not a dude.

Deleted

#44New Post! Dec 14, 2010 @ 21:13:52
@Galastaray Said

I know, I know, but the relationship aspect of it is trivial. What I'm arguing here is that no one is really like something. All you can be is yourself. Once people start telling you what you are like, you lose who you really are and become those descriptions.

You can only lose yourself if you allow yourself to become lost. People can think whatever they want about you. They can label you any way you want...that label is only real to them , unless you change yourself to conform to their label.
honey bucket

Deleted

Honey Bucket, Reunion
#45New Post! Dec 14, 2010 @ 21:19:12
@someone_else Said

You can only lose yourself if you allow yourself to become lost. People can think whatever they want about you. They can label you any way you want...that label is only real to them , unless you change yourself to conform to their label.

Mmm... I suppose you're right. But you know as well as I do that this is not just a case of will-power. It has to do with the psychology behind it as well. The subliminal messages being sent to our brains with each label. Still... I suppose, scientifically as well, a thought, or a "goal" might be able to trump others... Which in our case would be will-power. Still remains to be tested, though.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs