Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#1New Post! Oct 10, 2011 @ 15:20:50
I didn't want to derail the 9-9-9 thread with this any further, but having lived in or near 3 states that don't tax groceries, I wasn't aware that anyone did.

It turns out that most states don't (31) and all but 2 others provide lower taxes (lower than on other things in their own state), rebates or credits.

Those two states that make their residents pay full tax for their groceries are Mississippi and Alabama. Mississippi is the most impoverished state in the union. Why in the world are they still taxing food?

https://www.cbpp.org/cms/?fa=view&id=1230
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#2New Post! Oct 10, 2011 @ 15:33:41
They tax food where I live. I went to the store yesterday to pick up a few items and I am looking at my receipt, they charge tax on most of the food I bought.

It appears, where I live, if you buy 1 liter of milk, its personal use so you pay tax. But if you buy 2 liter or more of milk, its for a family so no tax.

Those bastards, they even charged me 10 cent deposit on each of my bottles of water, then tax on my water, bastards.

I think maybe its more acceptable to tax non essential food items like chips, candy etc but leave the essentials alone like stuff for salads, meat etc. We want people to eat healthy but its already expensive and then add tax to it, its silly to pay tax on essential food items.

And why the heck should I as a single woman have to pay extra taxes because I want a smaller box of soy milk. That's not fair.
Not a dude.

Deleted

#3New Post! Oct 10, 2011 @ 15:46:26
@DorkySupergirl Said

They tax food where I live. I went to the store yesterday to pick up a few items and I am looking at my receipt, they charge tax on most of the food I bought.

It appears, where I live, if you buy 1 liter of milk, its personal use so you pay tax. But if you buy 2 liter or more of milk, its for a family so no tax.

Those bastards, they even charged me 10 cent deposit on each of my bottles of water, then tax on my water, bastards.

I think maybe its more acceptable to tax non essential food items like chips, candy etc but leave the essentials alone like stuff for salads, meat etc. We want people to eat healthy but its already expensive and then add tax to it, its silly to pay tax on essential food items.

And why the heck should I as a single woman have to pay extra taxes because I want a smaller box of soy milk. That's not fair.

That is even more convoluted than just taxing it all.

Our state just recently started taxing junk food and bottled water. Maybe...I remember voting last time to vote it back out because they misclassified so many things. For example, an organic granola bar was taxed as candy, but some actual candy bars weren't.

That weird new law aside, we were only taxed on prepared food before.

, Canada
#4New Post! Oct 10, 2011 @ 16:04:00
@someone_else Said

That is even more convoluted than just taxing it all.

Our state just recently started taxing junk food and bottled water. Maybe...I remember voting last time to vote it back out because they misclassified so many things. For example, an organic granola bar was taxed as candy, but some actual candy bars weren't.

That weird new law aside, we were only taxed on prepared food before.

Most of my channels are American and I think it was last year or year prior,they were running ads for voting on bill such and such to put a tax on junk food. They had a woman who made organic snack foods asking the public not to vote yes because her goods were be taxed and some actual candy bars would not be so her products would be avoided and would hurt her business. I remember thinking how odd it was that organic snacks could ever be deemed junk food.

Here, if I buy carrots and celery in a package, I do not think there is a tax on that but if I buy them prewashed, cut for me and in the little package to keep them fresh, that is taxable. My lettuce is taxable because I buy the precut and prewashed stuff so its easier for my daily lunch salads.

I think that is foolish as its not take out or a premade meal, its just vegetables.
Not a dude.

Deleted

#5New Post! Oct 10, 2011 @ 16:08:42
@DorkySupergirl Said

Most of my channels are American and I think it was last year or year prior,they were running ads for voting on bill such and such to put a tax on junk food. They had a woman who made organic snack foods asking the public not to vote yes because her goods were be taxed and some actual candy bars would not be so her products would be avoided and would hurt her business. I remember thinking how odd it was that organic snacks could ever be deemed junk food.

Here, if I buy carrots and celery in a package, I do not think there is a tax on that but if I buy them prewashed, cut for me and in the little package to keep them fresh, that is taxable. My lettuce is taxable because I buy the precut and prewashed stuff so its easier for my daily lunch salads.

I think that is foolish as its not take out or a premade meal, its just vegetables.

Yep, that's the commercial I remember too. That lady iirc was from my area. Somehow, I thought you lived on the East side of Canada and that was a Washington commercial.

I couldn't remember if deli sandwiches and stuff like the little veggie tray were taxable. If they were, it was because it was "prepared". I remember having problems with some sandwiches because of their labels. The store I worked at sold panini's and you could get them either toasted or untoasted. The people using Food Stamps could not use them to buy prepared food, so they would have to buy the untoasted panini (which was in the fridge part and already wrapped) and have the sandwich counter person toast it for them.

, Canada
#6New Post! Oct 10, 2011 @ 16:52:06
@someone_else Said

Yep, that's the commercial I remember too. That lady iirc was from my area. Somehow, I thought you lived on the East side of Canada and that was a Washington commercial.

I couldn't remember if deli sandwiches and stuff like the little veggie tray were taxable. If they were, it was because it was "prepared". I remember having problems with some sandwiches because of their labels. The store I worked at sold panini's and you could get them either toasted or untoasted. The people using Food Stamps could not use them to buy prepared food, so they would have to buy the untoasted panini (which was in the fridge part and already wrapped) and have the sandwich counter person toast it for them.

To take a moment to explain, most of my channels are American like CBS, NBC, ABC etc, they are from all over America. Plus, with HD channels and time shifting, I have access to watch say NBC from either Boston or Seattle, whatever one I prefer. I can choose from a pretty good selection of major American cities to watch their local news as well.

The food stamp thing confuses me. We don't have that here or anything like that. So they can buy lettuce but probably not the cut up lettuce as its considered taxble and premade.
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#7New Post! Oct 10, 2011 @ 16:54:47
@someone_else Said

It turns out that most states don't (31) and all but 2 others provide lower taxes (lower than on other things in their own state), rebates or credits.

Edit: I just looked at the graph and saw that their is a light blue that looks practically white on my screen.

Here in FL, I know that they don't tax produce (fresh veggies) but do tax other food items like cookies and ice creams.
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#8New Post! Oct 10, 2011 @ 16:55:56
DP
Not a dude.

Deleted

#9New Post! Oct 10, 2011 @ 17:00:13
@DorkySupergirl Said

To take a moment to explain, most of my channels are American like CBS, NBC, ABC etc, they are from all over America. Plus, with HD channels and time shifting, I have access to watch say NBC from either Boston or Seattle, whatever one I prefer. I can choose from a pretty good selection of major American cities to watch their local news as well.

The food stamp thing confuses me. We don't have that here or anything like that. So they can buy lettuce but probably not the cut up lettuce as its considered taxble and premade.

Oh. What a trip to watch local news from 3,000 miles away.

So...here, with food stamps - they could buy either kind of lettuce because our cut up lettuce (like a salad in a bag) isn't taxed. Most food isn't. Just the stuff that has been prepared by people who are actually in the store. That doesn't count deli sliced stuff though.
Not a dude.

Deleted

#10New Post! Oct 10, 2011 @ 17:02:01
@boobagins Said

Here in FL, I know that they don't tax produce (fresh veggies) but do tax other food items like cookies and ice creams.

That's like what they've been trying to do here. They call it a 'sin tax' ( I always hear that as syntax. )
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#11New Post! Oct 10, 2011 @ 17:07:07
Our groceries not being taxed is only a few years old.
When they reduced the tax on groceries, they raised the tax on everything else. Prepared foods, like in the deli counter part of the grocery, or restaurants are still taxed

They wanted to reinstate it for some things again, what would be excepted would be essential items like: milk, eggs, flour, etc.
however tortillas ended up on the list that would be taxed, (its prepared) so it ended up known as the tortilla tax, It didn't pass.

The state needs the money though.

**edited for clarity, but still has an error in content. Flour was wrong.
restoreone On January 30, 2022

, Ohio
#12New Post! Oct 10, 2011 @ 17:13:33
In Ohio the food is not taxed
Soft drinks are.
A black cup of coffee is not taxed
If the restaurant put a sweetener in it then it is a soft drink and taxed. If you put the sweetener in then you are not taxed. If you have them add milk or a milk by product then it is not a soft drink so it would not be taxed even if they add sweetener
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#13New Post! Oct 10, 2011 @ 17:19:03
@DiscordTiger Said

Our groceries not being taxed is only a few years old.
When they reduced the tax on groceries, they raised the tax on everything else. Prepared foods, like in the deli counter part of the grocery, or restaurants are still taxed

They wanted to reinstate it for some things again, (not essential items like (milk, eggs, flour, etc.) however tortillas ended up on the list that would be taxed, (its prepared) so it ended up known as the tortilla tax, It didn't pass.

The state needs the money though.

How is milk not a necessity. Where are we supposed to get our calcium from? Pills?

Surely, cheese would need to be taxed, but not milk.

And what about our babies, they need milk (outside of formula)

, Canada
#14New Post! Oct 10, 2011 @ 17:26:59
@boobagins Said

How is milk not a necessity. Where are we supposed to get our calcium from? Pills?

I think that is why where I live, the small milk is taxed, like the one liter but the two liters of milk or the 4 liters bags are not taxed, its considered family item or for a child and here, food and clothing for kids is not taxable.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#15New Post! Oct 10, 2011 @ 17:28:50
@boobagins Said

Sorry my negative made that sound confusing. Milk and eggs are allowed

I was wrong about the flour, it is not allowed. It was not "healthy enough", neither were potatoes. Nor dried chile (which is like a staple for this area) Corn was allowed, which is really not any more or less healthy than potatoes, well butter was not allowed, so corn on the cob wouldn't be the same.

Only foods on the WIC list would have been exempted from tax, https://nmhealth.org/phd/wicsite/grocers/approved_grocer_list.php

They ended up tabling the tax.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs