The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Religion & Philosophy

Faith without works and proof is false faith.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
GreatestIam2 On January 06, 2023

Ottawa, Canada
#1New Post! Jul 13, 2011 @ 15:52:33

Scriptures, on the issue of works, contradict each other.

Some scriptures and Christian sects push the notion that faith alone in God is all that is required to earn heaven.
Some scriptures indicate that without works, living the theology and applying it to reality, that whatever faith we claim to have is useless and that those souls are lost.

The notion of being part of a community where individuals looked out for each other and shared whatever it had was the key and the only reason Christianity became the religion that it is today. I mean this in the sense or size only. In reality, Christianity no longer bases it’s theology and being saved on works.

Perhaps this is why the Church is so fragmented today and losing the battle for the hearts and minds of the population.

People usually do what they see as profitable in one way or another for themselves. Today, looking at Christianity, from inside or outside, the population does not see a profit in remaining in or joining Christianity due to this notion that faith is all that is required.

Without works, will Christianity die?
Do you have to live your faith or is faith without works and good deeds good enough?

What was it that James told Peter.
Demons have faith in God and it is likely stronger than man’s faith because they know for certain of God’s reality yet it does them no good. Faith, belief that is not based on proof, is thus useless.

Regards
DL
MadCornishBiker On January 14, 2014

Banned

St Columb Road, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jul 21, 2011 @ 18:51:23
@GreatestIam2 Said

Scriptures, on the issue of works, contradict each other.

Some scriptures and Christian sects push the notion that faith alone in God is all that is required to earn heaven.
Some scriptures indicate that without works, living the theology and applying it to reality, that whatever faith we claim to have is useless and that those souls are lost.

The notion of being part of a community where individuals looked out for each other and shared whatever it had was the key and the only reason Christianity became the religion that it is today. I mean this in the sense or size only. In reality, Christianity no longer bases it’s theology and being saved on works.

Perhaps this is why the Church is so fragmented today and losing the battle for the hearts and minds of the population.

People usually do what they see as profitable in one way or another for themselves. Today, looking at Christianity, from inside or outside, the population does not see a profit in remaining in or joining Christianity due to this notion that faith is all that is required.

Without works, will Christianity die?
Do you have to live your faith or is faith without works and good deeds good enough?

What was it that James told Peter.
Demons have faith in God and it is likely stronger than man’s faith because they know for certain of God’s reality yet it does them no good. Faith, belief that is not based on proof, is thus useless.

Regards
DL

In fact there is no contradiction in that at all. Throughout scripture faith in God has had to be shown by action of one sort or another, whether it be Moses facing up to Pharoah, Abraham offering up Isaac oj the Altar, or Jesus followers demonstrating their faith by obeying his command to preach and teach.

Whilst it is very true that one has to have faith, what good is faith if, as in Jesus command to his followers not to hide their light (their faith) under a bushel, no-one can see evidence of their faith? What is going to atract others into the true faith if they don't see evidence of faith? Having faith and not exercising it, not having works, is a bit like owning a car but never taking it out of the garage, useless, lifeless, "dead".

Whilst it is very true that God knows who really has faith and in what, it needs to be shown to other humans to be valid.
MadCornishBiker On January 14, 2014

Banned

St Columb Road, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Jul 22, 2011 @ 11:45:07
@MadCornishBiker Said

In fact there is no contradiction in that at all. Throughout scripture faith in God has had to be shown by action of one sort or another, whether it be Moses facing up to Pharoah, Abraham offering up Isaac oj the Altar, or Jesus followers demonstrating their faith by obeying his command to preach and teach.

Whilst it is very true that one has to have faith, what good is faith if, as in Jesus command to his followers not to hide their light (their faith) under a bushel, no-one can see evidence of their faith? What is going to atract others into the true faith if they don't see evidence of faith? Having faith and not exercising it, not having works, is a bit like owning a car but never taking it out of the garage, useless, lifeless, "dead".

Whilst it is very true that God knows who really has faith and in what, it needs to be shown to other humans to be valid.

Just to add slightly to the above and hopefully make my point a little clearer, nowhere does the bible say that faith without some form of works is false, simply that is it "dead" without value" "useless" "inactive". we don't need to demonstrate our faith to God, but to other human beings.
cisslybee2012 On January 30, 2013

Deleted

Bronx, New York
#4New Post! Jul 24, 2011 @ 02:24:08
Yes.

Religion will dissolve. This is inevitable.

It's only a matter of time.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#5New Post! Jul 24, 2011 @ 02:30:56
proof is false faith?
faith is believe without proof.
anyone who feels they have proof for themself has false faith?

Deleted

Bronx, New York
#6New Post! Jul 24, 2011 @ 03:00:24
@Willi Said

proof is false faith?
faith is believe without proof.
anyone who feels they have proof for themself has false faith?

Proof is false faith? No. Proof is evidence. That has nothing to do with faith. Evidence can be either accepted or rejected.

Faith is belief without proof? No. Faith is belief in evidence.

Anyone who feels they have proof for themselves has false faith? What one feels are their feelings which isn't proof. So their faith is false when one proclaims faith in something they have no evidence of. What they actually do have faith in are their feelings.
woodss On February 26, 2024

#7New Post! Jul 24, 2011 @ 03:02:07
@cisslybee2012 Said

Yes.

Religion will dissolve. This is inevitable.

It's only a matter of time.

Well Religion is part of my life always has always will.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#8New Post! Jul 24, 2011 @ 03:06:49
@cisslybee2012 Said

Anyone who feels they have proof for themselves has false faith? What one feels are their feelings which isn't proof. So their faith is false when one proclaims faith in something they have no evidence of. What they actually do have faith in are their feelings.

evidence?
if i see something you don't.
i feel i have proof you don't?

Deleted

Bronx, New York
#9New Post! Jul 24, 2011 @ 03:24:28
@Willi Said

evidence?
if i see something you don't.
i feel i have proof you don't?

If can see something, that's evidence whether others can see it or not. So why would you address evidence as "you feel?"

If you're saying you feel you have proof, then chances are you have nothing but proof of your feelings.

Deleted

Bronx, New York
#10New Post! Jul 24, 2011 @ 03:27:05
@woodss Said

Well Religion is part of my life always has always will.

That will not change the course of the future.

Religion will dissolve.

This is inevitable.

It's dissolving by the day.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#11New Post! Jul 24, 2011 @ 03:33:56
@cisslybee2012 Said

If can see something, that's evidence whether others can see it or not. So why would you address evidence as "you feel?"

If you're saying you feel you have proof, then chances are you have nothing but proof of your feelings.

evidence as many things, are in the eye of the beholder.
i saw it, you didn't.
Electric_Banana On April 24, 2024

, New Zealand
#12New Post! Jul 24, 2011 @ 03:42:16
Christianity would sink like a Led Zepplin if it ever landed too hard on tax-payer's dollars.

There would be a number of decades where tracks would be laid to encourage participators to disband and then another few decades of laying tracks to make it difficult for people to attend.

Until finally once their were only a handful of devotees left it would be made illegal.

I'm not saying that this is a really awesome and just thing, I'm saying I'm not bothering with it because it ain't my world and I wouldn't be here if my parents would've kept it in their pants.

Good news is though - we eventually die never to be seen again.

Deleted

Bronx, New York
#13New Post! Jul 24, 2011 @ 03:44:21
@Willi Said

evidence as many things, are in the eye of the beholder.
i saw it, you didn't.

No way.

Evidence is evidence. Can we say the Sun is in the eyes of the beholder? Oxygen is in the eyes of the beholder?

Evidence isn't based on feelings.
restoreone On January 30, 2022

, Ohio
#14New Post! Jul 24, 2011 @ 03:47:17
@Electric_Banana Said

Christianity would sink like a Led Zepplin if it ever landed too hard on tax-payer's dollars.

There would be a number of decades where tracks would be laid to encourage participators to disband and then another few decades of laying tracks to make it difficult for people to attend.

Until finally once their were only a handful of devotees left it would be made illegal.

I'm not saying that this is a really awesome and just thing, I'm saying I'm not bothering with it because it ain't my world and I wouldn't be here if my parents would've kept it in their pants.

Good news is though - we eventually die never to be seen again.

What do they call people who have sex?
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#15New Post! Jul 24, 2011 @ 04:00:15
@cisslybee2012 Said

No way.

Evidence is evidence. Can we say the Sun is in the eyes of the beholder? Oxygen is in the eyes of the beholder?

Evidence isn't based on feelings.

i disagree.
right now a blue mini van is parked in our garage.
do you believe me?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs