The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Religion & Philosophy

Are faith, God and love without deeds, dead?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
GreatestIam2 On January 06, 2023

Ottawa, Canada
#1New Post! Jan 25, 2012 @ 16:21:45

Paul took the position that salvation could be gained on faith alone. James took the position that faith without works and deeds is dead. Even if one had faith, like demons and Satan must, without works they were still going to hell.

Most have landed with James who said that faith without deeds and works was dead. This may be due to Jesus who said that we would recognize his people by their works.

Love, it would seem to me, has the same characteristic as faith. Love without works and deeds is dead. Be it love for a spouse, our children, parents or friends or even God, if we did not do works and deeds, they could not know that we love them. At the very least, we would have to tell them we love them and that falls into works and deeds.

Many believers tell me that God is love or loves us all. They always point to deeds and works that fall in the range of un-provable miracles. Most of these miracles are in the ancient past. Creation and what not. Some take it to the present and I have been told often that God can do whatever he wants with us because he made us. I discard this out of hand because I believe that if that were true, God would not also create all those things that kill us and cause us to suffer. That is not a loving act.

Love, human to human, must have ongoing deeds and works to be alive. Without these, love is dead.

Love, God to human, must also have ongoing works and deeds. If God is alive, he must and would express his love with viable and recognizable actions.

If we cannot see these acts on God’s part --- and you agree that love must be expressed somehow with works and deeds, ----does that mean that God does not love or that he is dead?

Regards
DL
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#2New Post! Jan 25, 2012 @ 16:27:20
The bible is 100% correct and contains no contradictions, so both Paul and James are correct.

Salvation can be gained on faith alone, but without works and deeds that faith is dead. So you get to go to heaven, but your faith... goes to hell..?
PerlaDelMar On June 02, 2014

New York, New York
#3New Post! Jan 25, 2012 @ 16:34:28
Quote:
If we cannot see these acts on God’s part --- and you agree that love must be expressed somehow with works and deeds, ----does that mean that God does not love or that he is dead?

People live like the Pharisees did, they believe in part because they were brought up to believe in things, yet they require miracles to truly believe. We are to ask to be anointed to understand the Bible, remember Jesus prayer in Matthew 11:25.

Such people that are always asking for proof are the people who are constantly in confusion. They believe somewhat because of upbringing, and yet some things they don't understand because of who they were being taught by---people who understand even less. If people truly wanted the answers, they would search wholeheartedly. God only gives understanding to 'children', not the wise and prudent---people who try to dissect the Word of God to prove that He does not exist. Those people rely on their own intellect to try to explain away what they themselves cannot make head or tails on.
ThePainefulTruth On May 06, 2013
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#4New Post! Jan 25, 2012 @ 17:49:36
@GreatestIam2 Said

Paul took the position that salvation could be gained on faith alone. James took the position that faith without works and deeds is dead. Even if one had faith, like demons and Satan must, without works they were still going to hell.

Most have landed with James who said that faith without deeds and works was dead. This may be due to Jesus who said that we would recognize his people by their works.

Love, it would seem to me, has the same characteristic as faith. Love without works and deeds is dead. Be it love for a spouse, our children, parents or friends or even God, if we did not do works and deeds, they could not know that we love them. At the very least, we would have to tell them we love them and that falls into works and deeds.

Many believers tell me that God is love or loves us all. They always point to deeds and works that fall in the range of un-provable miracles. Most of these miracles are in the ancient past. Creation and what not. Some take it to the present and I have been told often that God can do whatever he wants with us because he made us. I discard this out of hand because I believe that if that were true, God would not also create all those things that kill us and cause us to suffer. That is not a loving act.

Love, human to human, must have ongoing deeds and works to be alive. Without these, love is dead.

Love, God to human, must also have ongoing works and deeds. If God is alive, he must and would express his love with viable and recognizable actions.

Regards
DL

You could have stopped when you inserted the name Paul, the beast of Revelation, in your post.

@chaski Said

The bible is 100% correct and contains no contradictions, so both Paul and James are correct.

Salvation can be gained on faith alone, but without works and deeds that faith is dead. So you get to go to heaven, but your faith... goes to hell..?

@PerlaDelMar Said

People live like the Pharisees did, they believe in part because they were brought up to believe in things, yet they require miracles to truly believe. We are to ask to be anointed to understand the Bible, remember Jesus prayer in Matthew 11:25.

Such people that are always asking for proof are the people who are constantly in confusion. They believe somewhat because of upbringing, and yet some things they don't understand because of who they were being taught by---people who understand even less. If people truly wanted the answers, they would search wholeheartedly. God only gives understanding to 'children', not the wise and prudent---people who try to dissect the Word of God to prove that He does not exist. Those people rely on their own intellect to try to explain away what they themselves cannot make head or tails on.

Excuse me, I am not confused. In fact my inner confusion and feelings of contradiction fell away on the day I finally admitted to myself that there are absolutely no miracles, divine revelations, fate or Book of Life in which the names of those saved since the beginning are written.

The only thing I'm confused about is Chaski's post.
Wheezy_Knight On February 24, 2012

Deleted

Ankh-Morpork, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Jan 25, 2012 @ 18:08:39
@PerlaDelMar Said

As above, so below?

Are you suggesting that humanity stops looking?

That the wise and prudent should not teach? (if not them, then who should teach?)

Explaining away is often the act of separating the wheat from the chaff.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#6New Post! Jan 25, 2012 @ 20:26:59
@ThePainefulTruth Said

The only thing I'm confused about is Chaski's post.

Which part... my sarcasm that the bible is 100% correct, my sarcasm that there are no contradictions in the bible, or the part about faith going to hell?

Or....?
MadCornishBiker On January 14, 2014

Banned

St Columb Road, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Jan 25, 2012 @ 20:47:38
@chaski Said

Which part... my sarcasm that the bible is 100% correct, my sarcasm that there are no contradictions in the bible, or the part about faith going to hell?

Or....?

Youo may be sarcastic about there being no contradictions in the bible, but as I have demnstrated more than once on here there simply aren't any. There are misunderstandings and occasional reporting differences, but no actual contradictions. We have even had a whole thread on here which others put forward things they felt were contradictions, but no-one found one I couldn't explain yet. Maybe you can? but somehow I doubt it veruy much. I would be grateful if you would try though.

The problem is that where people find what appears to be a contradiction, they are simply finding that because they have misunderstood the meaning of one or more of the scriptures which appear to contradict.

Straighten out the meanings and you lose the contradiction. That is a large part of the key to understanding the bible, not just assuming that because some say there are contradictions they are right.

Can you prove anything in the bible wrong? I couldn't? Nor can anyone else. History proves everything that we have evidence about to be correct. Archaeology backs that up. The only evidence that has been assumed to prove evolution actually supports creation far more accurately. There is not one piece of scientific evidence that pproves the bile wrong, though there is not a lot that proves it right either. The nearest thing that could be said to do that is where the bible describes the "circle of the earth", which appears to indicate a flat earth, but since Hebrew had no word for sphere, the Hebrew word there translated as circle also applies to spheres so who knows which they meant, certainly no one can prove it either way, unless you assume an ignorance which denies the knowledge of the one inspiring the bible.

No, the bible is 100% true, provided you take the wording to mean what it actually does mean, not one of the alternative, and sometimes more obvious, meanings. To rehash the old chestnut, for instance, as long as you realise that day doesn't always mean 24 hours, just as it doesn't in today's usage.

True that sometimes means you have to sort things out, but that is not all that difficult if approached with a desire to know which possible meaning is really true.

As I said, please feel free to point out any "contradictions" I am sure that google can lead you to many that people clam come under that heading. I would be happy to straighten them out, again, as I have before. After all, I had to satisfy myself of that first so it's not the first time I have done it, by a long way.
arcades On August 08, 2013

Northbay, Canada
#8New Post! Jan 25, 2012 @ 20:54:22
@MadCornishBiker Said

Youo may be sarcastic about there being no contradictions in the bible, but as I have demnstrated more than once on here there simply aren't any. There are misunderstandings and occasional reporting differences, but no actual contradictions. We have even had a whole thread on here which others put forward things they felt were contradictions, but no-one found one I couldn't explain yet. Maybe you can? but somehow I doubt it veruy much. I would be grateful if you would try though.

The problem is that where people find what appears to be a contradiction, they are simply finding that because they have misunderstood the meaning of one or more of the scriptures which appear to contradict.

Straighten out the meanings and you lose the contradiction. That is a large part of the key to understanding the bible, not just assuming that because some say there are contradictions they are right.

Can you prove anything in the bible wrong? I couldn't? Nor can anyone else. History proves everything that we have evidence about to be correct. Archaeology backs that up. The only evidence that has been assumed to prove evolution actually supports creation far more accurately. There is not one piece of scientific evidence that pproves the bile wrong, though there is not a lot that proves it right either. The nearest thing that could be said to do that is where the bible describes the "circle of the earth", which appears to indicate a flat earth, but since Hebrew had no word for sphere, the Hebrew word there translated as circle also applies to spheres so who knows which they meant, certainly no one can prove it either way, unless you assume an ignorance which denies the knowledge of the one inspiring the bible.

No, the bible is 100% true, provided you take the wording to mean what it actually does mean, not one of the alternative, and sometimes more obvious, meanings. To rehash the old chestnut, for instance, as long as you realise that day doesn't always mean 24 hours, just as it doesn't in today's usage.

True that sometimes means you have to sort things out, but that is not all that difficult if approached with a desire to know which possible meaning is really true.

As I said, please feel free to point out any "contradictions" I am sure that google can lead you to many that people clam come under that heading. I would be happy to straighten them out, again, as I have before. After all, I had to satisfy myself of that first so it's not the first time I have done it, by a long way.

Actually I posted several failed prophecies as well as one that are thought to have come true yet haven't(not talking about ones that people claim were written after).
Wheezy_Knight On February 24, 2012

Deleted

Ankh-Morpork, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Jan 25, 2012 @ 21:03:25
There's a superb typo in there at the moment MBC.

I feel the need to preserve it...

Quote:

The only evidence that has been assumed to prove evolution actually supports creation far more accurately. There is not one piece of scientific evidence that pproves the bile wrong,
arcades On August 08, 2013

Northbay, Canada
#10New Post! Jan 25, 2012 @ 21:09:19
@Wheezy_Knight Said

There's a superb typo in there at the moment MBC.

I feel the need to preserve it...

the bile is wrong? Might not be a typo lol.

Ottawa, Canada
#11New Post! Jan 25, 2012 @ 21:22:59
@chaski Said

Regards
DL

Ottawa, Canada
#12New Post! Jan 25, 2012 @ 21:29:26
@PerlaDelMar Said

God only gives understanding to 'children',

Tell that to all the Church hierarchies.

They will not agree as children love all men and the churches must have hate for all the other tribes to run right.

Regards
DL

Banned

#13New Post! Jan 25, 2012 @ 21:59:30
@GreatestIam2 Said

Tell that to all the Church hierarchies.

They will not agree as children love all men and the churches must have hate for all the other tribes to run right.

Regards
DL

They wouldn't be that way if they followed what the bible teaches, as Christ said they should, but they don't, and that is what marks them as false.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#14New Post! Jan 25, 2012 @ 22:07:14
@MadCornishBiker Said

They wouldn't be that way if they followed what the bible teaches, as Christ said they should, but they don't, and that is what marks them as false.

[In response I am going to pretend like I am one of the other people on TFS... can you guess who? ]

Judges 17:5
And the man Micah had an house of gods, and made an ephod, and teraphim, and consecrated one of his sons, who became his priest.

Therefore you are an infidel and rebuked to hell you false prophet!

( )

Banned

#15New Post! Jan 25, 2012 @ 22:11:31
@PerlaDelMar Said

You don't have to be of the anointed to understand the bible. I'm not, nor will I ever be, but I have still been granted that understanding. All you need is to be one of those who desire to worship God with spirit and truth, as Jesus told us at John 4:23 "Nevertheless, the hour is coming, and it is now, when the true worshippers will worship the Father with spirit and truth, for, indeed, the Father is looking for suchlike ones to worship him." That scripture applies to both the anointed with the heavenly hope or the "other sheep" who have the hope of living in a restored paradise earth.

You are, however right about the problem with people relying on their own intellect, or that of other men, to explain things which the bible actually makes very clear. The bible describes those as being one who are "wise in their own eyes"; but unfortunately for them not in God's. Ironically, though I had my greatest "revelations" whilst a child of 8, you don't have to be a child, just a child like one, interested only in how things are, not how we want them to be, as adults tend to get to be.

As Jesus said about " at signs" at Matthew 12:38, 39 "Then as an answer to him some of the scribes and Pharisees said: “Teacher, we want to see a sign from you.” 39 In reply he said to them: “A wicked and adulterous generation keeps on seeking for a sign, but no sign will be given it except the sign of Jo?nah the prophet." That applies as much today as it did then. The bible gives us the record of all the signs we need, as the scriptures should have for the religious leaders os Jesus day.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs