The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Religion & Philosophy

Is faith in fiction good faith? Miracles.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
GreatestIam2 On January 06, 2023

Ottawa, Canada
#1New Post! Oct 27, 2010 @ 18:08:30
Is faith in fiction good faith? Miracles.

Faith, as well intentioned as it may be, must be built on facts, not fiction--faith in fiction is a damnable false hope. Thomas A. Edison

The Abraham religions, Christianity, Islam etc., are based on revealed unproven so called truths, handed down through prophets and shaman. They are based on the literal belief of Hebrew and Jewish scriptures that the Jews and Hebrews never believed in in a literal way and were quite surprised when Christians and Muslims began to believe in these texts that were just a plagiarized version of even older beliefs from Egypt and Sumer.

I recognize the use of faith and hope, religion and church and promote it in my own way when not fighting literalists and fundamentals. I am after all a religionist.
I recognize the value of faith and hope, religion and church, in our societies. I have seen their good works. I do not like the way they teach of God though.
I do not like the churches or other venues that promote the belief in a God of fantasy and magic, retribution and hell.

We all seek to know God deeper and more fully. You cannot know him if you begin from a position in belief that all has been created with miracles. Miracles are by their nature unexplainable. You cannot build a philosophy or theology for good living from such a start. This is likely why the Vatican and other mainline religions now recognize the veracity of evolution. They accentuate that scriptures are not to be read literally and yet most have based their faith on literal reading of scripture.

Believers in fantasy and magic are not believing their leadership. They also will not believe science.
If literalists are not to have faith in the leadership of their own religions and are not to believe the scientific world, what, other than their own opinion, are they believing in?
Does this mean that they have all invented their own ideas of God and does this make them all idol worshipers? Or. Does it just make them Gnostics within their own religions?

I think it does.
Do you?

My basic question to believers then is, knowing that your beliefs and Word are fantasy, magic or miracle based, what belief exactly is it that keeps you in your religion?

Can your belief be maintained without your belief in miracles?

Regards
DL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wV_REEdvxo&feature=player_embedded
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs