AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...11 12 13 · >>
Glenn On January 10, 2013
Average Jet Pilot

Deleted
Banned

Meridian, Mississippi
#1New Post! Dec 17, 2011 @ 18:13:35
I always wanted to know if an atheist has faith or not.

Like does an atheist believe in life from the rocks? And if so ... is that faith?

Does an atheist have faith that more evidence for God will show up so he/she can be helped to believe?

Or does an atheist have faith that more evidence will be found for a completely natural explanation for the way things are or how we got here?

Or has an atheist made the ASSUMPTION that God does not exist FIRST and then has faith that more evidence will show?

Or is there ample evidence already in existence to rule out God completely?
hoppy On August 27, 2013

#2New Post! Dec 17, 2011 @ 19:14:02
If an atheist has no faith or belief in God, can one have faith in an atheist?
annski729 On July 24, 2016

, United States (general)
#3New Post! Dec 17, 2011 @ 19:19:26
It kind of depends on how you define atheism (and god for that matter). I define it as lacking a belief, since theism typically refers to a belief in some sort of god/gods and the prefix "a" placed before "theism" should then mean that someone who describes themselves as an atheist does not have a belief in god.

Some atheists might assert that a god absolutely does not exist. Most atheists I know are not satisfied with the amount of evidence that supports the existence of some kind of supernatural being, so they live their lives as if no such being exists.

If you're trying to point out that some people who don't have faith in god have faith in other things, then I would have thought that was pretty obvious.
HiImDan On February 29, 2024

Cleveland, the boil on the but
#4New Post! Dec 17, 2011 @ 20:20:32
An atheist believes in what he cannot prove-there is no God, just like I believe in something I cannot prove-there is a God, so yes, an atheist has faith.

*edit:I just read the above post, sounds like yuh beat me to the punch
Electric_Banana On April 24, 2024

, New Zealand
#5New Post! Dec 17, 2011 @ 21:39:15
The way I see it life is like an MMO game. If an Atheist is a barbarian warrior on planet Zuul he plays the game and doesn't question it.

Theists are more concerned with pointing out that every one is stuck in an MMO game rather than playing it.
woodss On February 26, 2024

#6New Post! Dec 17, 2011 @ 21:45:58
I can not proof anything, at the end of the day its a faith and faith only, and if you believe in God and get a blessing out of it then its a bonus but people do take their faith way too far to a point that its not rational.

But I believe In God and that will never change.
annski729 On July 24, 2016

, United States (general)
#7New Post! Dec 17, 2011 @ 21:46:14
@HiImDan Said

An atheist believes in what he cannot prove-there is no God, just like I believe in something I cannot prove-there is a God, so yes, an atheist has faith.

*edit:I just read the above post, sounds like yuh beat me to the punch

You can't prove that something *doesn't* exist. If we're operating from an evidence based approach, the burden of proof is on the side that claims the object in question exists.

The typical atheist lacks belief in god because he has searched for evidence and has found none. The typical theist believes in god because he doesn't think he needs evidence when he has strong faith.
woodss On February 26, 2024

#8New Post! Dec 17, 2011 @ 21:47:35
@annski729 Said

You can't prove that something *doesn't* exist. If we're operating from an evidence based approach, the burden of proof is on the side that claims the object in question exists.

The typical atheist lacks belief in god because he has searched for evidence and has found none. The typical theist believes in god because he doesn't think he needs evidence when he has strong faith.

Thats very true.
But those whom been rasied in a Christian home, have the faith because their forefathers has had the faith and they just carry on the tradition.

But there is doomsday cluts that makes the matter even worse.
davii On January 14, 2013
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Dec 17, 2011 @ 21:57:22
From Wiki:

"Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities.[1] In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities.[2][3] Most inclusively, atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist.[3][4] Atheism is contrasted with theism,[5][6] which in its most general form is the belief that at least one deity exists,[6][7] and with agnosticism, which leaves the matter of existence open.[8]"
Glenn On January 10, 2013
Average Jet Pilot

Deleted
Banned

Meridian, Mississippi
#10New Post! Dec 17, 2011 @ 22:05:15
@davii Said

From Wiki:

"Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities.[1] In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities.[2][3] Most inclusively, atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist.[3][4] Atheism is contrasted with theism,[5][6] which in its most general form is the belief that at least one deity exists,[6][7] and with agnosticism, which leaves the matter of existence open.[8]"

Agreed ... Now does an atheist have faith or not?
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Dec 17, 2011 @ 22:07:50
@Glenn Said

Agreed ... Now does an atheist have faith or not?

Keeping the Wiki trend going:

"Faith is confidence or trust in a person or thing, or a belief that is not based on proof."
Electric_Banana On April 24, 2024

, New Zealand
#12New Post! Dec 17, 2011 @ 22:12:23
@davii Said

Keeping the Wiki trend going:

"Faith is confidence or trust in a person or thing, or a belief that is not based on proof."

Benefit of the doubt.

Innocent until proven guilty.
bob_the_fisherman On January 30, 2023
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#13New Post! Dec 17, 2011 @ 22:16:53
@annski729 Said

I would say you are wrong on both counts here. It is true that some atheists have a legitimate reason for being atheist - at the lower end of science there is certainly an abundance of them. Their reasons may be poor when investigated, but, nonetheless it is a reason of some kind.

However, the average person is just living their life, whether they claim to be a theist or atheist, and put little thought into the matter of gods. For many atheists, their reason for atheism seems to be based on certain false assumptions, for example;

1. Science is the path to truth (which of course, it is not, science is a methodology).

2. Scientists are atheists, and so a belief in a God is not rational. This is, of course, false, as anyone who works with actual scientists - chemists, geneticists etc., will happily tell you.

3. Science has disproven God. Obviously, this is false, as proving the non-existence of a being is at the very least a virtual impossibility.

4. Science has explained a rational universe not requiring a god. This is the most laughably false of all assumptions. Apart from the fact that a materialistic universe magically popped into existence when nothing happened to nothing, nowhere, at no point in time, science has no part to play in stating the "why" of a fact, only the what of facts (it is quantitative, not qualitative in other words). So, science can tell us that certain laws exist, but not why.

A lot of people who turn from atheism to theism, generally do so after having put some thought into the matter, and drawing the conclusion, based on evidence and perception, that that evidence points to the existence of a god. Doubtless they still have their assumptions, and, the fact that people convert to incompatible religious beliefs shows that reason alone, is not guaranteed to lead anyone to truth. In that, theists and atheists are alike.
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Dec 17, 2011 @ 22:19:03
@Electric_Banana Said

Benefit of the doubt.

Innocent until proven guilty.

Thought it was worth putting up a definition of atheist and faith and go from there
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Dec 17, 2011 @ 22:22:02
@bob_the_fisherman Said

I would say you are wrong on both counts here. It is true that some atheists have a legitimate reason for being atheist - at the lower end of science there is certainly an abundance of them. Their reasons may be poor when investigated, but, nonetheless it is a reason of some kind.

However, the average person is just living their life, whether they claim to be a theist or atheist, and put little thought into the matter of gods. For many atheists, their reason for atheism seems to be based on certain false assumptions, for example;

1. Science is the path to truth (which of course, it is not, science is a methodology).

2. Scientists are atheists, and so a belief in a God is not rational. This is, of course, false, as anyone who works with actual scientists - chemists, geneticists etc., will happily tell you.

3. Science has disproven God. Obviously, this is false, as proving the non-existence of a being is at the very least a virtual impossibility.

4. Science has explained a rational universe not requiring a god. This is the most laughably false of all assumptions. Apart from the fact that a materialistic universe magically popped into existence when nothing happened to nothing, nowhere, at no point in time, science has no part to play in stating the "why" of a fact, only the what of facts (it is quantitative, not qualitative in other words). So, science can tell us that certain laws exist, but not why.

A lot of people who turn from atheism to theism, generally do so after having put some thought into the matter, and drawing the conclusion, based on evidence and perception, that that evidence points to the existence of a god. Doubtless they still have their assumptions, and, the fact that people convert to incompatible religious beliefs shows that reason alone, is not guaranteed to lead anyone to truth. In that, theists and atheists are alike.

Not all scientists are atheists, it's not always one or the other. Also, science hasn't disproven God as of yet, but it hasn't found anything to prove its existence either. There have been philosophical refutations of God but there's still logical arguments in favour of it too. Science is our way of finding out about the world, so yes many would agree with that it's a methodology.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 ...11 12 13 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs