The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Politics:
Abortion

Can abortion be compared to other forms of historical genocide?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...5 6 7 8 · >>
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#91New Post! Jan 06, 2010 @ 01:21:47
@doubtingthomas Said

Well earth worms can be both sexes at once. and some snails can reproduce without any sex at all. Lets stick to humans for the sake of our own sanity.

Lol sorry I was just pointing out how rediculous it is calling a newly fertilised egg 'life' how far back does it go with these people.
doubtingthomas On April 26, 2010
Jesus is my homie

Monterey, California
#92New Post! Jan 06, 2010 @ 01:21:57
@AmberB Said

I would say it's more spiritual (not in the "god will punish you" sense) than silly. Some people see real value in that connection reguardless of the fact that it's just a few cells. It's not about the scientific definitions of what's a person, or what's alive, or what has a conciousness; it's about that connection being made between two people and then it's beautiful results carelessly destroyed. Some people hold that connection to be sacred.

And your asking about people's opinions, so how can you already know the answer?

But you wouldn't even know that process even happened without science. And now that science has indeed proven that babies arn't alive untill 6 months in... Why cling old science in the name of religion?
Marcussextus On November 25, 2014

Adelaide, Australia
#93New Post! Jan 06, 2010 @ 01:22:46
8) Curiouser and curiouser, quoth the rabbit.
I can understand though, I think.
I personally believe the that "life" begins at the moment of fertilisation, from that first division of cells you have a functioning human, whatever happens to it from that point on. Human intervention is just one of those hazards, and not even a common one in real terms.
I have no problems reconciling two things, that the Right-to-lifers are quite correct, it IS a baby with the potential to become a human being, and ALSO that the Mother has the right to choose, up until that baby could theoretically survive without her, and that's a LONG way past the time when anybody performs a termination.
Genocide is another thing altogether, and apart from involving the loss of life, has NO relevance in a discussion on abortion, IMHO.
Paradigm10 On July 09, 2010

Old Forge,
#94New Post! Jan 06, 2010 @ 01:25:07
@doubtingthomas Said

I have said this before in other posts, but no one has yet to answer it.

In states that have abortion as legal, and murder isn't the time a fetus becomes a person is around 20weeks. Killing a 21week old fetus would be murder at that point. The reason they figured out this particular moment is based on the chances a fetus can survive outside its mothers body. At that very moment it, in the eyes of the law become a murderable person.

What my question is... why do some anti abortion people quote the moment of conception as being the time the egg and sperm meet? Why not before conception? I mean a woman is effectivly killing a babies chances of living by 100%, when she says no to sexual intercourse... Wouldn't it be considered a form of abortion?

Why do anti abortion people focus so much on just the sperm and egg meeting moment? It by no means guarentees a baby, trust me my wife had 2 miscarrages before we had our child. I say take it one step further... if any fertal woman says no to any fertal man, its a form of murder... it makes just about as much sence as when the sperm and egg meet.

@doubtingthomas Said

Well first, I know what the answer is, I just like to engadge with other people in calm conversation.

What I'm looking for is consistancy across the board based on reality.

Of course I'm not proposing its murder of a potential baby every time a woman says no to sex with a man. That would be just silly. The point I'm bringing up is... life simply doesn't begin when a egg and sperm meet any more than when a man asks a woman(or vs versa go womens lib) for sex. So to hang on to the idea thats when life begins is just silly.

See?

I'm proving a point by asking a question I already know the answer to. I'm also spuring conversation about a hot topic and creating interest on the topic at hand, which is abortion. Its a form of recreation for me and find it intelectualy simulating.

I thought I was pushing the envelope by comparing abortion to genocide. Now you are comparing abstinence to abortion.

I'm not sure that abstinence can even be compared to contraception. Can contraception be compared to abortion?
Jesus is my homie

Monterey, California
#95New Post! Jan 06, 2010 @ 01:30:22
@Paradigm10 Said

I thought I was pushing the envelope by comparing abortion to genocide. Now you are comparing abstinence to abortion.

I'm not sure that abstinence can even be compared to contraception. Can contraception be compared to abortion?

I'll ask you this...

Does the act of contraception and abstinence end the potential life of a inocent child?

Old Forge,
#96New Post! Jan 06, 2010 @ 01:33:52
@doubtingthomas Said

I'll ask you this...

Does the act of contraception and abstinence end the potential life of a inocent child?

Only if that child already pre-exists in the mind of God. That is a whole other can of worms. Let's leave the metaphysical out of it for now.
2nd_Evil_Head On March 24, 2015

Elmira,
#97New Post! Jan 06, 2010 @ 01:34:58
@Paradigm10 Said

Right off the bat I'm going to apologize because I'm posting this question and I don't have the time to stick around to see where it goes. Feel free to have fun without me for awhile. I'll be back. 8)

https://www.blackgenocide.org/abortion.html

This link is necessary though I know that links are ignored alot of the time.

The points of comparision are interesting. There are several of them made between The Final Solution, Slavery, and Abortion. They are as follows:

1. Personhood is always redefined to exclude the intended victim class.

2. Genocide is often framed in the lanquage of "choice".

3. Victim class tends to be people who have what we want or who get in our way.

4. Victim class is often seen as a "disease" on society or as diseased themselves.

5. Resources are inadequate to care for intended victim class if they are allowed to live.

Abortion is most often viewed as a personal choice but are there overall consequences in our society for better or for worse. For Example, if I were a racist individual (I'm Not) I would be very happy with the fact that 35% of abortions take place among black women who make up 12% of the population.

The answer to the title question depends entirely on which side finally wins the debate.
Jesus is my homie

Monterey, California
#98New Post! Jan 06, 2010 @ 01:36:57
@Paradigm10 Said

Only if that child already pre-exists in the mind of God. That is a whole other can of worms. Let's leave the metaphysical out of it for now.

Exactly.. and god can clearly and has in the past... totaly bypassed the whole egg and sperm methoud of procreation. So if god wants the baby to be around, he indeed has the ability to skirt the rules.

Old Forge,
#99New Post! Jan 06, 2010 @ 01:46:05
@doubtingthomas Said

Exactly.. and god can clearly and has in the past... totaly bypassed the whole egg and sperm methoud of procreation. So if god wants the baby to be around, he indeed has the ability to skirt the rules.

Now your talking like you think God might actually exist. Stop that now, your derailing this thread.
AmberB On May 24, 2010

#100New Post! Jan 06, 2010 @ 01:47:19
@doubtingthomas Said

But you wouldn't even know that process even happened without science. And now that science has indeed proven that babies arn't alive untill 6 months in... Why cling old science in the name of religion?

You don't have to be religious to feel that the connection is worth treasuring and to be saddened to see it's potential go unrealized.

And are you saying people wouldn't have noticed pregnancy without science? I don't get your first sentence.

Old Forge,
#101New Post! Jan 06, 2010 @ 01:49:15
@2nd_Evil_Head Said

The answer to the title question depends entirely on which side finally wins the debate.

Perhaps the side which has the most babies will finally win the debate. I've also heard abortion spoken of as demographic suicide.
Jesus is my homie

Monterey, California
#102New Post! Jan 06, 2010 @ 02:12:14
@AmberB Said

You don't have to be religious to feel that the connection is worth treasuring and to be saddened to see it's potential go unrealized.

Exactly, when a woman says no to sex a potential child goes unrealized, it saddens me. You don't have to be religious to feel that connection was worth treasuring.

AmberB On May 24, 2010

#103New Post! Jan 06, 2010 @ 02:14:49
@doubtingthomas Said

Exactly, when a woman says no to sex a potential child goes unrealized, it saddens me. You don't have to be religious to feel that connection was worth treasuring.

There was no connection made.
Jesus is my homie

Monterey, California
#104New Post! Jan 06, 2010 @ 02:15:06
@Paradigm10 Said

Perhaps the side which has the most babies will finally win the debate. I've also heard abortion spoken of as demographic suicide.

Better than that paradigm. Its not just demographic suicide, its crime provention.

Because remeber that same demographic of unwanted children have a MUCH higher chance to go to a life of crime.

Legalized abortion inadvertantly brought about crime reduction.
ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#105New Post! Jan 06, 2010 @ 02:15:17
@doubtingthomas Said

Especailly if it was you she was saying no to right?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...5 6 7 8 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs