The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Politics:
Abortion

Can abortion be compared to other forms of historical genocide?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 · >>
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#76New Post! Jan 06, 2010 @ 00:13:00
@ninozara Said

Because its only when a Sperm and an Egg come together that human life is created. Before that each only contains the DNA of half, and when they connect that a life starts.

But a kangaroo only has 12 chromosomes (less than a human egg or sperm) and they are alive, why not sperm and eggs seperately?
AmberB On May 24, 2010

#77New Post! Jan 06, 2010 @ 00:13:16
@doubtingthomas Said

As a matter of fact it can be repeated 1 time every month. Not only that but it doesn't even need to happen inside a womans body.

No, it cannot. The odds of that specific potential, that set of genetics, the person that would become to be repeated is astronomical.
ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#78New Post! Jan 06, 2010 @ 00:22:17
@doubtingthomas Said

That would be a valid arguement if seconds after that happens, and the monther dies, a baby would still be born 9 months later. Till then its a parasite/host relationship.

It still has the full DNA of a human. You cant garuntee a baby would live after the 9 months.
To say that life begins only when the featus can survive without the mother is invalid, its different in every circumstance. There are instances of babies being born while still in the legal abortion time, and as we progress who is to say we cannot sustain life from an earlier period.
doubtingthomas On April 26, 2010
Jesus is my homie

Monterey, California
#79New Post! Jan 06, 2010 @ 00:24:28
@SparklyKatie Said

But a kangaroo only has 12 chromosomes (less than a human egg or sperm) and they are alive, why not sperm and eggs seperately?

I'm not too sure about kangaroos, but I'm just talking about humans at the moment.

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#80New Post! Jan 06, 2010 @ 00:30:42
@doubtingthomas Said

That would be a valid arguement if seconds after that happens, and the monther dies, a baby would still be born 9 months later. Till then its a parasite/host relationship.

Just to note im playing devils advocate, i dont agree with how abortion is used, but i wouldnt take that right away.
I have no idea when life begins, conception, at heartbeat, when brain activity starts, when the featus begins to move, when it can survive on its own?
When do you think life begins?
Jesus is my homie

Monterey, California
#81New Post! Jan 06, 2010 @ 00:36:58
@AmberB Said

No, it cannot. The odds of that specific potential, that set of genetics, the person that would become to be repeated is astronomical.

I can repeat the reproductive process every single month. Just because the results may vary, doesn't make that process any less possible each month. I'm only talking healthy fertal couples for the sake of my arguement.
Jesus is my homie

Monterey, California
#82New Post! Jan 06, 2010 @ 00:39:39
@ninozara Said

It still has the full DNA of a human. You cant garuntee a baby would live after the 9 months.
To say that life begins only when the featus can survive without the mother is invalid, its different in every circumstance. There are instances of babies being born while still in the legal abortion time, and as we progress who is to say we cannot sustain life from an earlier period.

Yes and there are instances when babies die the moment they take a breath. SImply being born doesn't garentee a human will be created.

And if you read the bible there is an instance where a sperm and egg never comming in contact with each other and that still creating a person. Funny why religious people don't highlight that as the moment of creation. LOL Not that your religious or that i'm refuring to you.

But my point is, you can't point the extreme situations as a point of reference for the majority if pregnacies and human reproduction.
AmberB On May 24, 2010

#83New Post! Jan 06, 2010 @ 00:40:03
@doubtingthomas Said

I can repeat the reproductive process every single month. Just because the results may vary, doesn't make that process any less possible each month. I'm only talking healthy fertal couples for the sake of my arguement.

I'm not talking about the process though. I'm talking about that result.
Jesus is my homie

Monterey, California
#84New Post! Jan 06, 2010 @ 00:48:07
@AmberB Said

I'm not talking about the process though. I'm talking about that result.

without the process.. you don't have the result. Just like if the woman at the bar says no to the guy for a night of passion... you don't have the result of a baby... AKA abortion.

The process is what i'm questioning.

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#85New Post! Jan 06, 2010 @ 00:48:26
@doubtingthomas Said

Yes and there are instances when babies die the moment they take a breath. SImply being born doesn't garentee a human will be created.

And if you read the bible there is an instance where a sperm and egg never comming in contact with each other and that still creating a person. Funny why religious people don't highlight that as the moment of creation. LOL Not that your religious or that i'm refuring to you.

But my point is, you can't point the extreme situations as a point of reference for the majority if pregnacies and human reproduction.

I think you just reiterated my point...

You can never be sure whether a baby will survive whether conception has just happened or the woman is giving birth. But survival doesn't denote life.

No one can be sure when life starts, which is why abortion is such a personal thing, and why it causes so much anguish - whether at the point of doing it or later on in life.

and well, we can't ALL be the mother of god
AmberB On May 24, 2010

#86New Post! Jan 06, 2010 @ 00:55:23
@doubtingthomas Said

What my question is... why do some anti abortion people quote the moment of conception as being the time the egg and sperm meet?

@AmberB Said

Probably because that's when the connection is made and that's when that potential is solidified and set into motion. I think it's the connection of the two that people find the most sacred.

@doubtingthomas Said

without the process.. you don't have the result. Just like if the woman at the bar says no to the guy for a night of passion... you don't have the result of a baby... AKA abortion.

The process is what i'm questioning.

Your original question is why people hold the moment conception so sacred, which I gave a possible answer for. Now I'm not sure what you're asking or what your point is, because nobody what talking about the process.
Jesus is my homie

Monterey, California
#87New Post! Jan 06, 2010 @ 01:06:59
@AmberB Said

Your original question is why people hold the moment conception so sacred, which I gave a possible answer for. Now I'm not sure what you're asking or what your point is, because nobody what talking about the process.

Well first, I know what the answer is, I just like to engadge with other people in calm conversation.

What I'm looking for is consistancy across the board based on reality.

Of course I'm not proposing its murder of a potential baby every time a woman says no to sex with a man. That would be just silly. The point I'm bringing up is... life simply doesn't begin when a egg and sperm meet any more than when a man asks a woman(or vs versa go womens lib) for sex. So to hang on to the idea thats when life begins is just silly.

See?

I'm proving a point by asking a question I already know the answer to. I'm also spuring conversation about a hot topic and creating interest on the topic at hand, which is abortion. Its a form of recreation for me and find it intelectualy simulating.
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#88New Post! Jan 06, 2010 @ 01:14:22
@doubtingthomas Said

I'm not too sure about kangaroos, but I'm just talking about humans at the moment.

But people arguing that as soon as the egg and sperm come together (no pun intended) they say that's life, surely if that's life and kangaroos are life it means that eggs and sperm are 'life' too.
AmberB On May 24, 2010

#89New Post! Jan 06, 2010 @ 01:14:35
@doubtingthomas Said

Of course I'm not proposing its murder of a potential baby every time a woman says no to sex with a man. That would be just silly. The point I'm bringing up is... life simply doesn't begin when a egg and sperm meet any more than when a man asks a woman(or vs versa go womens lib) for sex. So to hang on to the idea thats when life begins is just silly.

I would say it's more spiritual (not in the "god will punish you" sense) than silly. Some people see real value in that connection reguardless of the fact that it's just a few cells. It's not about the scientific definitions of what's a person, or what's alive, or what has a conciousness; it's about that connection being made between two people and then it's beautiful results carelessly destroyed. Some people hold that connection to be sacred.

And you're asking about people's opinions, so how can you already know the answer?
Jesus is my homie

Monterey, California
#90New Post! Jan 06, 2010 @ 01:19:35
@SparklyKatie Said

But people arguing that as soon as the egg and sperm come together (no pun intended) they say that's life, surely if that's life and kangaroos are life it means that eggs and sperm are 'life' too.

Well earth worms can be both sexes at once. and some snails can reproduce without any sex at all. Lets stick to humans for the sake of our own sanity.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs