Politics

11 million members data lost

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
bendover On November 25, 2007

Deleted

Muff, Ireland
#1New Post! Nov 18, 2006 @ 23:36:22
The Nationwide Building Society have finally admitted that a laptop stolen 3 months ago contained data on up to 11 million of their account holders.

When are these financial institutions going to get their act together and really protect the information of their customers.
x_chanelle_x On December 09, 2009

Deleted

Untitled!, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Nov 18, 2006 @ 23:37:59
WHAT?! Im with nationwide!
cole On October 22, 2023

Stirling, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Nov 18, 2006 @ 23:38:06
Yeah i heard this on the news earlier but at that stage they were still refusing to say just exactly what was on the laptop and how many people it affected - really i think it's very stupid that this type of information was on a laptop anyway, surely this information should only be held by a central database on well protected property
bendover On November 25, 2007

Deleted

Muff, Ireland
#4New Post! Nov 18, 2006 @ 23:43:25
They have said the data stolen didn't contain PIN numbers, passwords or account balances but it's still very worrying.

I seen a recent documentary where personal details were routinely stolen from off shore call centres and sold to the highest bidder.

I used to work in an area that held data on every child in the country with their dates of birth. I was contacted by someone I didn't know and offered a sizable sum of money to copy that data onto a CD for them. It's so easily done and if workers are under financial pressure the temptation may be too great for some.

Worrying.
x_chanelle_x On December 09, 2009

Deleted

Untitled!, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Nov 18, 2006 @ 23:44:37
osm On March 18, 2016
Kiwi!

Wellington, New Zealand
#6New Post! Nov 19, 2006 @ 06:51:02
all on one laptop... wow, I thought banks were rolling in money...

that is very worrying, seems very lax to me
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Nov 19, 2006 @ 09:30:18
thats kinda worrying. We have a lappy at work with all the patients info stored, but that cannot leave the building and stays locked up. The only time it can leave the building is if we had to open an emergency surgery somewhere, you know like a disaster plan sort of thing, so the data isnt lost.
dragonwars On July 30, 2009

Wellington, New Zealand
#8New Post! Nov 19, 2006 @ 09:52:01
@cole Said
Yeah i heard this on the news earlier but at that stage they were still refusing to say just exactly what was on the laptop and how many people it affected - really i think it's very stupid that this type of information was on a laptop anyway, surely this information should only be held by a central database on well protected property

central databases have a higher risk of data being lost for malicious use because someone can hack it from multiple locations making it harder to prevent or track, a laptop is a good way to store confidential information because it is instantly noticed if it is missing unlike a cd it cannot be easily replaced by one that looks identical however they should have kept it under better security
dazzler On September 10, 2010

, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Nov 19, 2006 @ 13:28:21
@bendover Said
They have said the data stolen didn't contain PIN numbers, passwords or account balances but it's still very worrying.

I seen a recent documentary where personal details were routinely stolen from off shore call centres and sold to the highest bidder.

I used to work in an area that held data on every child in the country with their dates of birth. I was contacted by someone I didn't know and offered a sizable sum of money to copy that data onto a CD for them. It's so easily done and if workers are under financial pressure the temptation may be too great for some.

Worrying.

Very irresponsible of Nationwide to treat their customers with such disregard, especially at a time when Identity theft is at an all time high. They should be charged with 11 million counts of breaking the data protection act and fined a years profit. Imagine that!
dragonwars On July 30, 2009

Wellington, New Zealand
#10New Post! Nov 19, 2006 @ 21:29:34
@dazzler Said
Very irresponsible of Nationwide to treat their customers with such disregard, especially at a time when Identity theft is at an all time high. They should be charged with 11 million counts of breaking the data protection act and fined a years profit. Imagine that!

If they did that then the bank would probably recall everyone's mortgages and repossess their houses as they have the right to do if they ever hit financial trouble
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs