Minimum Wage Laws

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4
ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#46New Post! Apr 17, 2010 @ 20:31:56
@NikiNiki Said

Pensions, here in the US, probably don't force people not to work, except that workers might not be able to continue in a job if they receive a pension for having done that job.

But I think, most of the time, people can't get a welfare check and a paycheck. I think that because when my mother and I lived at the motel, I met strippers who worked the gentlemen's club down the street. They collected welfare from the government, and they danced for tips at the gentlemen's club. I don?t know how they kept the welfare agency ignorant of their income.

If I were to say to the economics teacher, ?There are only so many jobs, pensioning somebody off does allow for a younger person to take the spot,? he would quote an African proverb.

?Each mouth has two hands.?

The inference is that removing two hands from the labor force, doesn?t guarantee that another two hands will have employment. Removing two hands might eliminate the work of four hands.

Welfare can indeed encourage people not to work. There is an interesting book about welfare in Washington DC. It?s about a year in the life of three generations of welfare recipients who, at the time the book was written, had never been employed.

According to my uncle, back when elevators had operators, movie theaters had ushers. In the absence of the minimum wage law, I bet those two occupations would still exist.

My neighbor who works at the museum might be an elevator operator or an usher. She?s a example of how the minimum wage law injures poor people twice because there is one way that welfare recipients can get both a welfare check and a paycheck. Working people may qualify for something called a negative income tax. If they have a job, and they file an income tax return, they can get a refund even though they pay no income taxes. Because my neighbor can?t get a job, she can't qualify for the refund.

Scriveners might have disappeared from the workforce before the minimum wage, but xerography is a post minimum wage invention. My aunt?s mother worked as a sort of scrivener. Her actual title was clerk-typist, and she did the work of a scrivener because when she typed she made copies while she typed. The process involved putting more than one sheet of paper in a typewriter.

My aunt?s mother always earned more than minimum wage, so at first sight, it might be that the labor rate of skilled typists might not have accelerated the advance of xerographic copying. On the other hand, the existence of minimum wage increases the cost of skilled labor, so there could be a relationship between minimum wage and the elimination of typist jobs.

And in the United States, there are no exceptions for unskilled labor. People who can?t produce the value of the wage cannot be employed.

The welfare check - I don't know what types you have, we have different kinds of tax breaks and benefits depending on peoples circumstances. For example, if you are living in a house alone, or with children you only pay 75% of Council Tax. But most benefits are 'means tested', which means that what you can get depends on what you earn.

But I don't think Minimum Wage hurts people, because it means that you can't be underpaid. If it is increased dramatically it might harm a businesses income, and have a negative effect on jobs, but if it goes up steadily with inflation its shouldn't effect them much.

I never thought that would work with a typewriter as the ink wouldn't go through

We still have cinema 'ushers'. In a small cinema, with one screen, there would generally be only a couple of people working. Now we have huge multi-screen places, with loads of employees - people selling tickets, people selling food/drink, people checking tickets, people showing you your seat and checking you're in the right place, and Managers.

There are thousands of more jobs now than there were before Minimum Wage, there are also more people.

'Skilled workers' aren't generally paid Minimum wage, it's manual labour, checkout workers, that sort of thing that is.

By training, employers pay for your education, and you receive some form of qualification at the end...they are training you for a specific job. That's why they are except from minimum wage.
NikiNiki On January 04, 2011

Deleted

Villa Park, California
#47New Post! Apr 17, 2010 @ 22:03:56
@ninozara Said

The welfare check - I don't know what types you have, we have different kinds of tax breaks and benefits depending on peoples circumstances. For example, if you are living in a house alone, or with children you only pay 75% of Council Tax. But most benefits are 'means tested', which means that what you can get depends on what you earn.

But I don't think Minimum Wage hurts people, because it means that you can't be underpaid. If it is increased dramatically it might harm a businesses income, and have a negative effect on jobs, but if it goes up steadily with inflation its shouldn't effect them much.

I never thought that would work with a typewriter as the ink wouldn't go through

We still have cinema 'ushers'. In a small cinema, with one screen, there would generally be only a couple of people working. Now we have huge multi-screen places, with loads of employees - people selling tickets, people selling food/drink, people checking tickets, people showing you your seat and checking you're in the right place, and Managers.

There are thousands of more jobs now than there were before Minimum Wage, there are also more people.

'Skilled workers' aren't generally paid Minimum wage, it's manual labour, checkout workers, that sort of thing that is.

By training, employers pay for your education, and you receive some form of qualification at the end...they are training you for a specific job. That's why they are except from minimum wage.

People who argue against minimum wage think that it hurts people because it causes them to be underpaid. Unemployed people are underpaid. The textbook example compares unemployment between black people and white people before and after the minimum wage law was passed. Before the law, the rates were the same. After the law, black people have more unemployment. Sometimes economists compare black and white teenagers with the same result. I don't know why they make the racial comparison. Maybe it's because the federal government keep racial statistics, and the statistics are available for the comparison.

You have movie theaters with one screen? Around here the movies never have less than twenty screens. The theaters with one screen have been converted into churches. And the movies around here have no ushers, but the civil light opera has ushers.

Actually, I do think that Fullerton, a town not far from here, has a theater with one screen. It's a kind of museum that's dedicated to old movies. It's a couple of blocks a Saint Vincent DePaul welfare agency where I went one time with my mother to get some free clothes.

And of course, you must be correct about how progress or maybe it's called productivity eliminates jobs and in the same process creates other jobs. In the Samoan minimum wage example, the canary in Georgia will have machinery which eliminates 90% of the workforce. Most of the new jobs must be workers who maintain and operate the new machinery.

I don't know for sure, but I don't think American law exempts any job from the minimum wage law.

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#48New Post! Apr 17, 2010 @ 22:47:49
@NikiNiki Said

People who argue against minimum wage think that it hurts people because it causes them to be underpaid. Unemployed people are underpaid. The textbook example compares unemployment between black people and white people before and after the minimum wage law was passed. Before the law, the rates were the same. After the law, black people have more unemployment. Sometimes economists compare black and white teenagers with the same result. I don't know why they make the racial comparison. Maybe it's because the federal government keep racial statistics, and the statistics are available for the comparison.

You have movie theaters with one screen? Around here the movies never have less than twenty screens. The theaters with one screen have been converted into churches. And the movies around here have no ushers, but the civil light opera has ushers.

Actually, I do think that Fullerton, a town not far from here, has a theater with one screen. It's a kind of museum that's dedicated to old movies. It's a couple of blocks a Saint Vincent DePaul welfare agency where I went one time with my mother to get some free clothes.

And of course, you must be correct about how progress or maybe it's called productivity eliminates jobs and in the same process creates other jobs. In the Samoan minimum wage example, the canary in Georgia will have machinery which eliminates 90% of the workforce. Most of the new jobs must be workers who maintain and operate the new machinery.

I don't know for sure, but I don't think American law exempts any job from the minimum wage law.

That's probably the case when you have a large increase, that'll employers pretty hard. And business are about making money. And then you get countries with no minimum wage, so it's cheaper for companies to move production there.

But I think today, it's already set up, and small increases shouldn't affect businesses quite so badly. I wouldn't ever get rid of minimum wages, because companies would get away with paying the least they could. We're due and increase this year - 13p an hour! Party hats on

Most of the cinema's are large ones - between 10 and 20 screens. But there are still some small independent screens. I know of one, but it struggles to buy films and get audiences. You used to be able to buy alcohol, so you could sit with a beer or glass of wine through the film...but they couldn't afford the license after a while

See we have churches that get converted into flats or houses The small cinema I was talking about is in a converted fire station.

When you think about it, the spinsters in the early 19th century must have felt the same way about progress. During the Industrial Revolution, they were rendered useless as machines were cheaper in the long run, and a lot faster.

I heard waitresses and bar tenders don't get full minimum wage because they're meant to make it up from tips? That's why tipping is such a big thing in America?
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#49New Post! Apr 19, 2010 @ 13:14:26
@ninozara Said

I heard waitresses and bar tenders don't get full minimum wage because they're meant to make it up from tips? That's why tipping is such a big thing in America?

Only some states allow tipping to be part of your minimum wage. In Washington state, that's not allowed - it's $8.55 plus tips, but you're taxed for %15 of your sales because they assume that you were tipped. However, I had seen applications from waitresses who moved here from Montana and they made something like $3.50 + tips to bring them up to min wage (this was a few years ago).

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#50New Post! Apr 19, 2010 @ 14:12:46
@someone_else Said

Only some states allow tipping to be part of your minimum wage. In Washington state, that's not allowed - it's $8.55 plus tips, but you're taxed for %15 of your sales because they assume that you were tipped. However, I had seen applications from waitresses who moved here from Montana and they made something like $3.50 + tips to bring them up to min wage (this was a few years ago).

To me it seems silly that the state/government can just assume customers will tip and tax you on it. Like, to me, a tip is a little something extra you give if they have worked hard and given you good service, not just a given. If a restaurant puts the service charge on a bill, I won't pay it.
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#51New Post! Apr 19, 2010 @ 14:14:35
@ninozara Said

To me it seems silly that the state/government can just assume customers will tip and tax you on it. Like, to me, a tip is a little something extra you give if they have worked hard and given you good service, not just a given. If a restaurant puts the service charge on a bill, I won't pay it.

That may be in the UK, but in the US waitresses/waiters expect tips. It's all part of the cost going out.
Lfc1892 On August 10, 2010

Deleted

Dublin, Ireland
#52New Post! Apr 19, 2010 @ 14:17:22
The minimum wage is 8.65e per hour here.. I would'nt get out of bed for that not a chance.. I would want at least 12e per hour.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#53New Post! Apr 19, 2010 @ 14:18:27
@ninozara Said

I agree, that's how it should be. But that's not how it is. Also remember that most establishments split tips between the waitstaff, cooks, bus people and the host/hostess. So, sadly, if your food is fantastic but your waitress was inattentive, your cook is not getting a tip.

Usually, a restaurant won't put a service charge on a bill unless you have a party of 15 or more.

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#54New Post! Apr 19, 2010 @ 14:27:10
@someone_else Said

I agree, that's how it should be. But that's not how it is. Also remember that most establishments split tips between the waitstaff, cooks, bus people and the host/hostess. So, sadly, if your food is fantastic but your waitress was inattentive, your cook is not getting a tip.

Usually, a restaurant won't put a service charge on a bill unless you have a party of 15 or more.

Some here split, some don't. Sometimes, like at our local pub, people tip bar staff and waitresses separately, but I've known places that split. Cooks generally get paid more, and work more hours so tips aren't as important to them.

I still think it's cheeky for a place to put it on, and I also feel that when that happens it isn't going to the staff - for example if you pay by card it'll all just go into the company and will staff really get it? I'd rather decide the tip myself and give the person the cash.

This actually reminds me of the meal we had at boxing day, it was a privately owned pub (not like a brewery one with a manager) and the guy's staff had let him down, so his wife was behind the bar and him and his daughter were cooking and serving and trying to help behind the bar! We gave him a 75% tip
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs