Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#31New Post! Jul 07, 2011 @ 03:01:03
I don't know, if business could turn a bigger profit from something they will do it. They aren't paying min wage because they want to, but because they have to. Min wage went up in our city, but we were excepted from the law. No one thought of let's pay more, it was still "how can we spend less on wages".

and in the example of pissing off workers enough to quit, that would be awesome for them, now they can hire someone cheaper. There are tons of people looking, and sadly the times of finding a job and retiring from the same company 25 or more years later, is becoming more and more rare. Not to mention most of the min wage workers like McD walmart etc, are already strongly discouraged to unionize.

My "minions" are temp workers, Most of them I don't even pay all of their wages our of my budget, they are supplemented from other places. But I can choose to hire one and pay their full salary, on a 3 for 1 trade.
I'm one of the few that will save budget to keep on someone that costs more if they are a good worker. Almost everyone else, fires people when their supplements run out, regardless of their performance. I ran things with a smaller group of dependable people rather than just picking out a bunch of bodies that are expendable.

So yes there are people that will try to pay people what they are worth, but it's no where near the majority, and I think lowering min wage, is going to make things worse. And it definitely requires more work when looking at budget usage and creative scheduling to maximize the minimum amount of people, but not feel understaffed.

More people may have a job, but they are still not going to be able to support themselves and still need welfare or assistance like food stamps.
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#32New Post! Jul 07, 2011 @ 08:04:10
@magically_delicious Said

I thought it was a pretty readily accepted economic idea that lowering minimum wage would result in more unskilled workers being hired, and more importantly, less people being laid off. I believe this concept can be described as an elasticity of demand function, where as the wage increases, demand for unskilled workers decreases. I say unskilled because generally the minimum wage workers are under-educated, or right out of college or high school. I learned this in microeconomics class, and unemployment is explained this way (right next to the unemployment elasticity graph) in a text book I own by Paul Krugman, who publishes articles in the New York Times and won a Nobel Prize in Economics, so I'm really just regurgitating his ideas.

All that aside, I don't need a graph to know this makes sense. You have to look at different business models to see it in action, but I'll use a personal example first. I used to manage a feed store that had 23 employees, and most people were paid a few dollars above minimum wage, and worked 42 hours a week. We were always understaffed in the yard, but it took awhile to train new yard workers where all the different grains were located and the business was barely breaking even. Many times people were left waiting in the store for help because I would have to leave the counter to help the guys retrieve grain, so obviously output could be improved by more workers. By lowering our wages 2 dollars each (which also lowers his taxes), the owner would have been able to justify hiring the extra yard guy, and I'm sure he would have since we needed him but couldn't afford him. The yard guy would have made up for his wages by increasing the output of the business, and decreasing the number of unhappy customers who went elsewhere.

The same principle could apply to a Strawberry farmer, maybe he has 40 guys out there working for minimum wage but could increase his output by hiring another 10 workers. Lowering 40 workers wages by 2 dollars each would more than allow for the extra 10 workers to be hired on, and increase the productivity of the strawberry farmer.

As you pointed out, this would not work for business who is already at their peak of productivity, because they do not need additional workers. However, I have seen many, many restaurants who are understaffed and would most likely hire on more workers if it would increase their productivity while offsetting the cost for employing them. Obviously businesses who are already close to letting people go would keep their employees if they could pay them less instead of firing them, especially if productivity would suffer by firing them.

Minimum wages are already lower than standard for restaurant servers and small farm workers.

As for your retail example, if they could get qualified people at minimum wage, then why were they paying above minimum wage? That makes no sense.

And Paul Krugman does not advocate lowering the minimum wage:
" In reality, reducing wages would at best do nothing for employment; more likely it would actually be contractionary."
https://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/12/16/would-cutting-the-minimum-wage-raise-employment/
magically_delicious On October 27, 2020

, California
#33New Post! Jul 07, 2011 @ 19:58:36
@El_Tino Said

Minimum wages are already lower than standard for restaurant servers and small farm workers.

As for your retail example, if they could get qualified people at minimum wage, then why were they paying above minimum wage? That makes no sense.

And Paul Krugman does not advocate lowering the minimum wage:
" In reality, reducing wages would at best do nothing for employment; more likely it would actually be contractionary."
https://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/12/16/would-cutting-the-minimum-wage-raise-employment/

I never said that Krugman advocated lowering minimum wage, I just said that in his text book he shows that the demand for minimum wage workers is highly inelastic, and that this is demonstrated on a graph. So going off of that information, lowering minimum wage would increase the amount of jobs for unskilled workers.

I read the article you linked to, and the amount which we would have to drop wages in order to bring the demand for employees back to where it was before the recession is far too high. The average wages would be similar to China's, and the American standard of living would not be sustainable. I definitely agree now that lowering minimum wage would not help very much at all unless it was drastically lowered, and that's not feasible.

As for the feed store, most of our employees had been there for a very long time. I was the shortest term employee they had for awhile, at only 2 years. When I was hired on, most everyone else had worked there from 3 to 5 years already, and received pre-recession wages. I suppose he didn't want to lower the wages because he cared about us and wanted to keep his long term employees.
drman321 On December 28, 2013

, Florida
#34New Post! Jul 07, 2011 @ 20:21:05

I thought it was a pretty readily accepted economic idea that lowering minimum wage would result in more unskilled workers being hired, and more importantly, less people being laid off. I believe this concept can be described as an elasticity of demand function, where as the wage increases, demand for unskilled workers decreases. I say unskilled because generally the minimum wage workers are under-educated, or right out of college or high school. I learned this in microeconomics class, and unemployment is explained this way (right next to the unemployment elasticity graph) in a text book I own by Paul Krugman, who publishes articles in the New York Times and won a Nobel Prize in Economics, so I'm really just regurgitating his ideas.

All that aside, I don't need a graph to know this makes sense. You have to look at different business models to see it in action, but I'll use a personal example first. I used to manage a feed store that had 23 employees, and most people were paid a few dollars above minimum wage, and worked 42 hours a week. We were always understaffed in the yard, but it took awhile to train new yard workers where all the different grains were located and the business was barely breaking even. Many times people were left waiting in the store for help because I would have to leave the counter to help the guys retrieve grain, so obviously output could be improved by more workers. By lowering our wages 2 dollars each (which also lowers his taxes), the owner would have been able to justify hiring the extra yard guy, and I'm sure he would have since we needed him but couldn't afford him. The yard guy would have made up for his wages by increasing the output of the business, and decreasing the number of unhappy customers who went elsewhere.

The same principle could apply to a Strawberry farmer, maybe he has 40 guys out there working for minimum wage but could increase his output by hiring another 10 workers. Lowering 40 workers wages by 2 dollars each would more than allow for the extra 10 workers to be hired on, and increase the productivity of the strawberry farmer.

As you pointed out, this would not work for business who is already at their peak of productivity, because they do not need additional workers. However, I have seen many, many restaurants who are understaffed and would most likely hire on more workers if it would increase their productivity while offsetting the cost for employing them. Obviously businesses who are already close to letting people go would keep their employees if they could pay them less instead of firing them, especially if productivity would suffer by firing them.

The problem with your examples is you are assuming that labor costs drive payroll. They don't. Demand drives payroll.

If the cost of payroll is reduced that does not signal to an employer to increase that cost back up to what it was, that is just an increase in profits to the employer.

The only thing that drives payroll increases and decreases for a profitable business is demand. If demand goes up you hire. If it goes down you lay off.
nooneinparticular On March 16, 2023

, Hawaii
#35New Post! Jul 07, 2011 @ 20:23:27
Not to mention the hiring ceiling that makes it so that there would only be a limited number of jobs you could give to people before it started to negatively affect productivity.
nooneinparticular On March 16, 2023

, Hawaii
#36New Post! Jul 07, 2011 @ 21:28:11

I don't think large corporations would change much of anything. Again, all this depends upon productivity. I highly doubt any company would lessen the wages of its employees unless they had to. I don't believe lowering the minimum wage would result in this wave of employers suddenly decreasing their current employee's salaries, with the exception of agricultural businesses, seasonal employers, and employers who are in a bad financial state. I believe productivity is the bottom line. If you go and lower everyone's wages at McDonald's, a bunch of people are going to quit, become less productive, strike, or steal things. The business would not be padding their wallets, but instead face huge losses due to reduced revenue. If you keep the wages the same for current workers, productivity could increase, and new employees would be hired at the lower wages, which would save money and increase output. If a business will have increased productivity by having more workers, they will hire more workers if they can afford to do so.

I know CEO's are not stupid, there would be major union strikes and huge employee turnover if a company massively dropped all of their employee's wages. The idea is the unskilled worker with no work experience, very little work experience, non-native English speakers, etc., would be able to find a job instead of solely relying on welfare and savings. Increased capital causes increased spending, and it certainly seems like a better idea than sitting back and watching unemployment get worse.

Assuming all this is true, would that not imply that the removal of minimum wage would actually do nothing for the economy?

Also, doesn't this scenario take for granted unilateral wage increases and decreases within a given market? Employers can decide to, as a group, reduce their new employees paychecks and that would have to be the new minimum wage. As, I believe the only thing preventing this is the minimum wage currently in place.

And not to mention, striking or quitting carries its own amount of risk for the employee as well as the employer. In fact, some would say that striking is more risky for the employee.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs