Forums: Business & Money:
Marketing Techniques

"Killing Us Softly"

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
pinksparklystars On October 08, 2015

Austin, Texas
#1New Post! Feb 14, 2007 @ 16:45:29
We watched this movie today in sociology, and i was so mad after i left that class. This lady analized advertisments and was saying that they were the reason why women were being battered and why girls had eating disorders.

I think this is complete bulls*** personally. I mean parents should be telling their daughters that they are beautiful no matter what, and be teaching them from the beginning that it is just an ad. My mom did, i have never judge anyone because of what they look like! My friends used to make fun of me when i would date a guy that they thought was ugly but it was not his looks that mattered it was his personality.

but apparently i am not aloud to say anything about this because i am "skinny" i dont really think that has anything to do with it.

(sorry this sounds like a rant, i am still kinda pissed off about it )
What we watched

So what do you think of advertising? Do you think it is what makes you buy certain things? Do you feel that you need to look like the people in the ads? If so why?
treacle On July 11, 2009

B/Stoke, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Feb 14, 2007 @ 16:56:49
I do think there is a market for wanting to be "in fashion", copying trends etc. Otherwise these things wouldnt sell. As long as the product in question is being sold, or at least talked about then the advert has done its job.

I think the reason it makes you want to buy certain things is because its tapping in to what they typicle average joe wants. We all want to look thin, dress amazingly, not have spots, have shiney hair and drive and incredibly nice car. Its not essential but we if we could and at a budget we would. Truth. A good advertisment will make you feel you would be able to achieve that by buying the product in question.

Its complicated. But it works. Example, I have been out and bought that new moisturiser that gives you a tan too. Because the idea of not looking pasty in these months and not having to pay a fortune for a st.tropez sells to me.
ike_akorn On September 09, 2014

phoenix, Arizona
#4New Post! Feb 14, 2007 @ 16:58:25
Some people actually need this disease because sometimes they actually ened it..There fat and its there foult..and if they die in the proccess go ahead..they were fat already adn tehy are crazy thinking that theya re fat or so...So increadible....just dont do it..
treacle On July 11, 2009

B/Stoke, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Feb 14, 2007 @ 17:02:27
Im sorry but I dont understand what exactly you are talking about ike_akorn?

Austin, Texas
#6New Post! Feb 14, 2007 @ 17:06:30
@treacle Said
I do think there is a market for wanting to be "in fashion", copying trends etc. Otherwise these things wouldnt sell. As long as the product in question is being sold, or at least talked about then the advert has done its job.

I think the reason it makes you want to buy certain things is because its tapping in to what they typicle average joe wants. We all want to look thin, dress amazingly, not have spots, have shiney hair and drive and incredibly nice car. Its not essential but we if we could and at a budget we would. Truth. A good advertisment will make you feel you would be able to achieve that by buying the product in question.

Its complicated. But it works. Example, I have been out and bought that new moisturiser that gives you a tan too. Because the idea of not looking pasty in these months and not having to pay a fortune for a st.tropez sells to me.

i think you are right, i mean advertising is a huge part of our lifes. I think what got me the most was that she was saying that we buy products because of what the models look like, with shampoo for instance - she says that we go to the store and think oh that girl in the ad had nice hair so i will buy that, but i dont think that at all, i mean the suave ads show nice hair, but that shampoo does a nasty number on my hair so i dont buy it.

the ad that made me the most mad was this watch ad, and it had this girl with a watch (a mans watch) on her upper arm, and it said put some weight on. The lady said that it was refering to how thin she was, and the ad had nothing to do with the ad. But i think that is stupid, because i can put a mans watch on my upper arm.

I think people need to have more confidence in themselves and quit taking ads so seriously
treacle On July 11, 2009

B/Stoke, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Feb 14, 2007 @ 17:11:07
@pinksparklystars Said
i think you are right, i mean advertising is a huge part of our lifes. I think what got me the most was that she was saying that we buy products because of what the models look like, with shampoo for instance - she says that we go to the store and think oh that girl in the ad had nice hair so i will buy that, but i dont think that at all, i mean the suave ads show nice hair, but that shampoo does a nasty number on my hair so i dont buy it.

the ad that made me the most mad was this watch ad, and it had this girl with a watch (a mans watch) on her upper arm, and it said put some weight on. The lady said that it was refering to how thin she was, and the ad had nothing to do with the ad. But i think that is stupid, because i can put a mans watch on my upper arm.

I think people need to have more confidence in themselves and quit taking ads so seriously

I know exactly where you are coming from and I agree. All I will say is that you have started a thread discussing it. Which is exactly the affect they aim for. In advertising bad press is still good to them. If a bunch of people in college are slating the new coke advert because Britney spears looks ugly in it, the advert has done its job. Which is essentially to get people talking about it

Austin, Texas
#8New Post! Feb 14, 2007 @ 17:16:48
That is true, it makes the people remember the product more if the ad is of interest.

If it was just a coke in the ad with nothing flashy people would not give it a second look.

I dont really mind the ads, i have a mind of my own and know what i want to buy
treacle On July 11, 2009

B/Stoke, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Feb 14, 2007 @ 17:18:47
@pinksparklystars Said
That is true, it makes the people remember the product more if the ad is of interest.

If it was just a coke in the ad with nothing flashy people would not give it a second look.

I dont really mind the ads, i have a mind of my own and know what i want to buy

And thats the point behind advertising. especailly as technology is allowing us to advance so quickly. If there were no adverts, imagine what would happen

As long as you dont conform to being a sheep of society you are safe sweets
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs