Gender Issues

does equal rights mean anything

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
punkism On February 03, 2006

none of the above, New Zealand
#1New Post! Jan 04, 2006 @ 00:27:20
ok so like in my country women have so called equal rights as men but then why is it when a man rings the police to say his wife has attacked him (which can happen) they laugh at them and take the man away from the scene and why do women always get the kid if they divorce, they can get protection orders at the drop of a hat just so the father cant see the kid ok so hes a horrible bastard of a husband does that mean hes a bad father? A t-shirt was printed by a female clothing company here it said "boys are stupid throw rocks at them" if a male group printed a shirt that said "girls are dumb throw rocks at them" it probably would've been taken off the market, is this equal rights?
kinglegend On May 06, 2007

Brisbane, Australia
#2New Post! Jan 04, 2006 @ 00:33:18
There will never be equal rights because people can't get along, and until everyone sees that we are all the same that will never happpen
cinnamin On April 18, 2008

houston, Texas
#3New Post! Jan 04, 2006 @ 00:35:11
@punkism Said
ok so like in my country women have so called equal rights as men but then why is it when a man rings the police to say his wife has attacked him (which can happen) they laugh at them and take the man away from the scene and why do women always get the kid if they divorce, they can get protection orders at the drop of a hat just so the father cant see the kid ok so hes a horrible bastard of a husband does that mean hes a bad father? A t-shirt was printed by a female clothing company here it said "boys are stupid throw rocks at them" if a male group printed a shirt that said "girls are dumb throw rocks at them" it probably would've been taken off the market, is this equal rights?

In America, if a couple gets in a mutal fight, they both go to jail, and if a woman hits or assults a man, she goes to jail. if a couple both say the other is at fault, they look and if one is injured and the other is not, the person with no injuries is jailed.
annski729 On July 24, 2016

, United States (general)
#5New Post! Jan 04, 2006 @ 00:37:27
It's like back in the day when blacks were denied voting rights. Then they were allowed to vote but whites would use literacy tests to make it much harder for blacks to vote. They'd give them things in different languages, like Chinese or something, things that they themselves probably couldn't read, and whites would get simple passages in English. It was obviously unfair, but the law said blacks were equal to whites.

Oh my God. Did I just connect history to real life?! What the hell is happening to me?! Bad Annie!

Laws are laws, but the way people choose to obey them is always going to be different. You can bend the rules a bit, or you can find loopholes. Nothing is perfect.
reiko On March 27, 2006

Deleted

New York, New York
#6New Post! Jan 04, 2006 @ 00:39:50
@annski729 Said
It's like back in the day when blacks were denied voting rights. Then they were allowed to vote but whites would use literacy tests to make it much harder for blacks to vote. They'd give them things in different languages, like Chinese or something, things that they themselves probably couldn't read, and whites would get simple passages in English. It was obviously unfair, but the law said blacks were equal to whites.

Oh my God. Did I just connect history to real life?! What the hell is happening to me?! Bad Annie!

Laws are laws, but the way people choose to obey them is always going to be different. You can bend the rules a bit, or you can find loopholes. Nothing is perfect.

In the US didn't black people have the right to vote before women did? It wasn't until the 1900s that women were allowed to vote I think.

#7New Post! Jan 04, 2006 @ 00:40:05
Oh and about the rocks thing, that kinda ties in with the whole idea that most girls don't have a problem hitting guys (whether friendly or a meaningful hit) while many guys simply can't hit a girl. They don't think it's morally right. They could just be friends, and joking around, but they cannot hit a girl. I have a guy friend who is like this.

Why? I don't know. Could have something to do with the fact that generally men are physically stronger than women are. It's natural.

I see your point, but I think women get the hard end of a lot of things also.

#8New Post! Jan 04, 2006 @ 00:40:20
@reiko Said
In the US didn't black people have the right to vote before women did? It wasn't until the 1900s that women were allowed to vote I think.

Think so.

I'm no history buff Reiko! Math and science
reiko On March 27, 2006

Deleted

New York, New York
#9New Post! Jan 04, 2006 @ 00:51:49
The 15th amendment in 1870 gave black people the right to vote but like you mentioned Annie the "poll tax" restricted that.

@15th amendment Said
Section. 1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.
It seems that did not include women becuse we couldn't vote until the 19th admendment in 1920.
stew On August 05, 2012

Falkirk, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Jan 04, 2006 @ 01:21:16
See its easy to say were all equal but deep down humans are arrogant bastards who feel were above each other i mean come on humans never see each other as equal we all think were better than each other. Basically its impossible for there to be any equality in the world because there is no any balance to start with! lol

#11New Post! Jan 04, 2006 @ 02:00:25
@reiko Said

Also we have to carry for 9 months and give birth so why shouldn't we get preference in child custody as long as we are fit to raise the child?

dont think the mother is more important than the father to the child

#13New Post! Jan 04, 2006 @ 02:07:28
sorry to hear that dude
miss_katie On June 27, 2007

Bradford, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Jan 04, 2006 @ 07:48:57
The only thing not equal in equal rights is what women are paid compared to men. When looking at custody hearings the preferd outcome is joint custody, the sad fact is that in cases where women have sole custody it is actually because the father has demonstrated either that him gainingg custody would harm the child or that he does not want custody of the child. Domestic assaults are treated the same, with either sex you're lucky not to have the situation treated like a "lovers tiff", legislation may change put the views of people don't, many a police officer or a judge still see doemestic violence as a private affair not to get involved in. Many argue that women don't get equal rights to promotion, its true that a man will find it easier to obtain a promotion but it is also true that the majority of women plan to have children and are turned down for promotion because they have demonstrated this and employers are of course going to prefer to hire an individual who will be fully devoted to the position and not need to be taking maternity leave and possibly leaving in the foreseeable future, unfair maybe but apply it to anyother situation and no ones arguing. People really don't give a crap about someones sex enough for their to be as much discrimination anymore, "sexism" is just another abused term like "racism", whenever people don't get what they want they'll cry out "thats sexism".
trencher On March 01, 2008

Hades, California
#15New Post! Jan 08, 2006 @ 05:35:07
YAWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs