Random

a plea from high street charities!

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
wildething On February 04, 2008

, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Sep 24, 2007 @ 17:16:58
i work for a well known high street charity and i know i speak for all high street charities when i say that donations are down on previous years, and this is due in no small part to people's changing recycling habits. many now take good quality clothes, shoes, and other household textiles to recycling bins usually located located near large supermarkets etc.,or even have sacks provided by their council and so leave it out for the bin men. this means that the recycling company or council make money on these items which would otherwise go to a charity.
i know that not all shops collect and this is a problem, but hiring a van and driver is not always financially possible without eating into funds. so please please if you want to not only recycle your good quality clothes, shoes, and other household textiles, but help a worthwhile charity then make the effort to drop it off at your preferred charity shop.
thanks for reading this.
queenofhearts On December 16, 2009

, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Sep 24, 2007 @ 17:19:05
I still do recently when moving house i put five black bags full of clothes in the cancer research shop.
localisedgirl On October 03, 2007

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Sep 24, 2007 @ 17:22:16
i get annoyed when SCOPE drop bags in my letterbox to fill with items and they put on the bags they will collect in 3 days and never turn up.
I have no means to get to our nearest charity shop with a heavy bin bag full of items.
plus i tend to sell clothes and items more on ebay anyway
semi_precious_stone On June 23, 2019

, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Sep 24, 2007 @ 17:25:10
I am a scruff.... I buy new clothes when the old ones are in tatters, but I always take books to the charity shops!

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Sep 24, 2007 @ 17:26:54
i bought independence day on video from a charity shop for 20p and it didnt work

, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Sep 24, 2007 @ 17:27:40
as i said i know it is annoying when charities don't pick up collections but it is very costly to run a van and pay a driver. and yes books and bric a brac are also welcome, as are old dvds videos and records/cassettes.

, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Sep 24, 2007 @ 17:29:30
sorry localisedgirl, it happens, i have bought plenty of naff stuff from charity shops, sometimes i just buy it because i don't want to walk out empty handed.
kit On January 24, 2014

Fife, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Sep 24, 2007 @ 17:30:24
Charity shops are awesome. We give things to Oxfam a lot, and me and my friends normally see if there's any cool clothes in the shops near us

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Sep 24, 2007 @ 17:31:32
@wildething Said
sorry localisedgirl, it happens, i have bought plenty of naff stuff from charity shops, sometimes i just buy it because i don't want to walk out empty handed.

i'll walk out of any shop if there was nothing there i wanted.
wasnt bothered bout the vid, 20p loss is nothing, was just really looking forward to watching it lol
x_Laura_x On April 02, 2024

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Sep 24, 2007 @ 17:32:49
I guess I am the only one that won't buy clothes from charity shops

I just don't like the thought of other people wearing my clothes before I did

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Sep 24, 2007 @ 17:34:03
@x_laura_x Said

im the same, have never and never will
kit On January 24, 2014

Fife, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Sep 24, 2007 @ 17:34:25
@x_laura_x Said

Nope. I have a friend who won't even walk into Poundland It's kinda annoying, and she keeps asking why we say she's posh
alexkidd On February 07, 2012
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#13New Post! Sep 24, 2007 @ 17:38:27
i've bought loads of cool stuff from charity shops.

, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Sep 24, 2007 @ 17:46:54
hey c'mon you would be surprise how much good quality designer gear we get, some still new with the label on, and loads of retro stuff, and in our shop we steam clean every item and chuck out anything too old, stained, dirty,etc.
my daughter has some really posh/well off uni friends who are always in the shop buying tons of stuff, they just mix and match all kinds of styles and look really funky.
we also get loads of amateur dramatic companies and people going to fancy dress balls frequenting our shop as well as the transvestites who go a bundle on the over the top 'diva' gear!
kit On January 24, 2014

Fife, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Sep 24, 2007 @ 17:53:01
@wildething Said
hey c'mon you would be surprise how much good quality designer gear we get, some still new with the label on, and loads of retro stuff, and in our shop we steam clean every item and chuck out anything too old, stained, dirty,etc.
my daughter has some really posh/well off uni friends who are always in the shop buying tons of stuff, they just mix and match all kinds of styles and look really funky.
we also get loads of amateur dramatic companies and people going to fancy dress balls frequenting our shop as well as the transvestites who go a bundle on the over the top 'diva' gear!

You were doing so well until you mentioned the transvestites... q
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs