The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Art & Literature:
Photography

Can anyone give me some tips on buying a Good high quality camera?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
JuanSmith On September 11, 2020
Shilsh-Aash yatasay

Near Eucalyptus Trees, Califor
#1New Post! Mar 16, 2012 @ 21:22:59
I know there are a few of you here who are avid photographers and what not.

I would highly appreciate any tips you may have in selecting a camera.

So far I'm leaning towards a Nikon D800 and still debating what lenses to include in this purchase if I decide to go this route.

The purpose of this is for high resolution / professional quality captures (obviously) as well as the option to shoot high quality video.

My price range is anywhere from $1,000.00 - $5,000.00 for the camera itself. I feel that's a reasonable price range for what I'm looking for right?

any tips?
ClickBoom On November 12, 2012

, Canada
#2New Post! Mar 16, 2012 @ 23:23:57
My first piece of advice is for you to make up your mind what you want to do with the camera. I know you said high quality photo's and video but in my opinion it's one or the other. In otherwords if you will be shooting mainly video then buy a video camera and if it's still photography then you know what you need to get. I have two Canon 7D's and they are capable of doing both but I would never ever shoot a video with them for more reasons than I want to try and explain here.

That said you have a hell of a spread on your budget and could actually get one of each and still have a good chunk of change left to piss away on the accessories you will need. The body you selected is a great one but for a novice you're going to be over your head withing 15 seconds of taking it out of the box. Regarding a lens or two. Again that depends on what type of subjects you want to shoot.

Think about it a bit more and maybe we can help you.

ps: I don't want to sound crass but it's tough to give decent advice with the post you made because it lacks specifics. I'm not a pro but I have enough experience to make me a little scary.
Shilsh-Aash yatasay

#3New Post! Mar 16, 2012 @ 23:43:03
@ClickBoom Said

My first piece of advice is for you to make up your mind what you want to do with the camera. I know you said high quality photo's and video but in my opinion it's one or the other. In otherwords if you will be shooting mainly video then buy a video camera and if it's still photography then you know what you need to get. I have two Canon 7D's and they are capable of doing both but I would never ever shoot a video with them for more reasons than I want to try and explain here.

That said you have a hell of a spread on your budget and could actually get one of each and still have a good chunk of change left to piss away on the accessories you will need. The body you selected is a great one but for a novice you're going to be over your head withing 15 seconds of taking it out of the box. Regarding a lens or two. Again that depends on what type of subjects you want to shoot.

Think about it a bit more and maybe we can help you.

ps: I don't want to sound crass but it's tough to give decent advice with the post you made because it lacks specifics. I'm not a pro but I have enough experience to make me a little scary.

Very well. I see where you're getting at with regards to picking either one or the other. I apologize for assuming that by using the word "option", people would understand that I was mainly looking for a camera in order to take photographs.

When it comes tot learning new tech, I'm a fast learner and am quick to adapt to whatever comes my way so that's not that big of a deal to me. I love learning new things.

I want a camera so that I can do photo-shoots; mainly dealing with artist development PR and perhaps some leisure photographing sessions for moi (scenery etc.).
And I would love to have the option and be able to also take Full HD 1080p video for the same reasons if the need arises.
for example lets say one of my artists has a gig somewhere and the location / acoustics / are perfect and would make for a great video, to have the availability or rather the option to use what I have and capture the moment right then and there without having to look for something else solely dedicated for that.

I am looking for the best I can get within my budget, that will also allow me to take video is ever I need to.

As far as a camcorder, I'm looking into that for a later date. I know what I want when it comes to a camcorder and have a pretty good idea of the brand and model I'll be purchasing in the near future.

But camera wise - I've always had standard canons or nikons you can get anywhere; 8mp-fit-in-your-hoodie's pocket size type of things.

I've used professional cameras but I've never fully explored them as they were usually on my person temporarily and I've just never owned one. So I want the best multitasking (in this case 2 things) one I can get, still mainly for stills.

does that clarify anything??

clear as mud?

, Canada
#4New Post! Mar 17, 2012 @ 01:25:39
I'm not a Nikon guy... I shoot with a Canon. 7D's to be specific ( yes I have two ). You can buy a body in the US for $1600.00 @ B & H. Then decide what sort of len(s) you want depending on what you want to shoot and buy it / them. The sky is the limit in that category. Would a 7D or equivalent suit you? The short answer is... it will still be more camera than you can handle and I don't care how fast of a learner you are. I've been shooting for years and I still learn something every time I go out. I don't know even a small fraction of what my camera can do.

If all you've owned so far is a P & S then almost any DSLR will do the trick because ..... are you ready for this..... besides buying a " decent " body the most important thing to get is the glass you bolt on to it. Quality costs money... and lots of it. eg: when I walk out of my house with my gear I would bet a sawbuck the total is very near the 10k mark. That includes a few lens, flash, a $1000 tripod / head, memory cards, battery grips & batteries, filters, cables and on and on and on.

Now if you can be more specific about what you mean by a " photo shoot " I might be able to offer a few suggestions as to a Nikon body & lens set up to start with. If you shoot nudes in close quarters you might not want that 100 - 400mm lens I haul around. Get my point?
Tar On April 28, 2014

San Antonio, Texas
#5New Post! Mar 17, 2012 @ 01:39:16
@JuanSmith Said

I know there are a few of you here who are avid photographers and what not.

I would highly appreciate any tips you may have in selecting a camera.

So far I'm leaning towards a Nikon D800 and still debating what lenses to include in this purchase if I decide to go this route.

The purpose of this is for high resolution / professional quality captures (obviously) as well as the option to shoot high quality video.

My price range is anywhere from $1,000.00 - $5,000.00 for the camera itself. I feel that's a reasonable price range for what I'm looking for right?

any tips?

I've got a Nikon D40 DSLR and I have absolutely no complaint. If you've never owned a DSLR before, I would recommend against buying one that is uber-expensive like $1,000 or more. The D40 comes in at about 400-500 and its is excellent as a amateur, enthusiast and even semi-professional with the different lenses. Going beyond those skill levels is beyond me so I can't advise there. Good luck and happy snapping!

, Canada
#6New Post! Mar 17, 2012 @ 02:14:30
@Tar Said

If you've never owned a DSLR before, I would recommend against buying one that is uber-expensive like $1,000 or more.

What he said.... except I still want to know what he intends to shoot and what the conditions ( light ) will be. That's pretty important stuff along with knowing if he will be shooting on auto or spending some time in a classroom getting to know his manual settings.
Shilsh-Aash yatasay

#8New Post! Mar 17, 2012 @ 02:26:28
@Tar Said

I've got a Nikon D40 DSLR and I have absolutely no complaint. If you've never owned a DSLR before, I would recommend against buying one that is uber-expensive like $1,000 or more. The D40 comes in at about 400-500 and its is excellent as a amateur, enthusiast and even semi-professional with the different lenses. Going beyond those skill levels is beyond me so I can't advise there. Good luck and happy snapping!

Thanks, but I'm also looking a bit long term here. I'm planning on possibly employing someone with more, let's say talent to use it to it's full potential If I can't for whatever reason just not learn to.

But I'll take this into consideration for a personal DSLR on which to mess around with.

I'm looking for something to add to my arsenal if you will, business wise.
Shilsh-Aash yatasay

#9New Post! Mar 17, 2012 @ 02:31:28
@ClickBoom Said

What he said.... except I still want to know what he intends to shoot and what the conditions ( light ) will be. That's pretty important stuff along with knowing if he will be shooting on auto or spending some time in a classroom getting to know his manual settings.

I intend to shoot people..
bam
in low light such as in a coffee bar performance / bar performance / or theater performance ( musician that is )
in brightly lit areas during the day, spring, summer afternoons, scenic background shots on the beach, an alley in the middle of a ghetto,
I want it to be versatile, which is where the lenses come into play... But yeah I'll be whoring the camera in as many locations as possible.

and I will be dedicating time into learning as much as I can about the settings etc.
Tar On April 28, 2014

San Antonio, Texas
#10New Post! Mar 17, 2012 @ 02:33:31
@ClickBoom Said

You probably know more about cameras than I do, but I am just assuming that he is going from a hand held compact to DSLR and jumping into the deep end. From my opinion, a semi-pro level user should upgrade to a high end $1,000 + camera. If he isn't aware of shutter speeds, ISOs, white balance, mercury settings, etc. most likely, the entry level DSLRs on Auto would be best. He can learn from playing with the settings and experimenting with the manual. I learned everything I could from an old Pentax 50 (I think) and when I realized that I was trying to push it beyond its design, I realized I needed an entry level DSLR and the D40 was great. A friend of mine let me borrow his D50 and it was beautiful. The D40 does much the same only its more light weight and smaller along with the electronic auto focus and some stabilizing lenses. I think the main thing is that he has to understand what his skill level is and what use. I've used my D40 in extremely low light (less than human eye sensitivity threshold) and it still took beautiful pictures. At around $400, its a lot better than spending $1000 or more! No movies though. If you want movies, get a dedicated HD video with a large (preferably triple) sensor array
Tar On April 28, 2014

San Antonio, Texas
#11New Post! Mar 17, 2012 @ 02:40:03
@JuanSmith Said

Thanks, but I'm also looking a bit long term here. I'm planning on possibly employing someone with more, let's say talent to use it to it's full potential If I can't for whatever reason just not learn to.

But I'll take this into consideration for a personal DSLR on which to mess around with.

I'm looking for something to add to my arsenal if you will, business wise.

Well, for long term, my friend was a professional photographer and he had his D50 for something like 8 years and never exceeded his requirements. The D50 I believe is discontinued though. Anyways, you're on the professional level so I really can't advise you there. Good luck dude!
Shilsh-Aash yatasay

#12New Post! Mar 17, 2012 @ 02:42:11
Just want to state that I appreciate your input. I don't mean to come off as being testy here.

As I stated before, I'm not asking for advice on a dedicated HD video device. That's a whole different topic.

I am simply looking for a great camera that will allow me or offer me the option, if a situation should arise where something was occurring and I just HAD to get it on video on a moments notice, without having to dig up a video camera, to be able to do so.

is this confusing?
Shilsh-Aash yatasay

#13New Post! Mar 17, 2012 @ 02:45:39
@Tar Said

Well, for long term, my friend was a professional photographer and he had his D50 for something like 8 years and never exceeded his requirements. The D50 I believe is discontinued though. Anyways, you're on the professional level so I really can't advise you there. Good luck dude!

No no, thank you for your input.
I will look for something on a more basic level for my personal use though. Thanks for sharing that bit about the D50 lasting that long. Definitely something to consider on a similar / equivalent model.
Tar On April 28, 2014

San Antonio, Texas
#14New Post! Mar 17, 2012 @ 02:48:54
@JuanSmith Said

Just want to state that I appreciate your input. I don't mean to come off as being testy here.

As I stated before, I'm not asking for advice on a dedicated HD video device. That's a whole different topic.

I am simply looking for a great camera that will allow me or offer me the option, if a situation should arise where something was occurring and I just HAD to get it on video on a moments notice, without having to dig up a video camera, to be able to do so.

is this confusing?

The only thing I learned about HD cameras (DSLRs) that have video capability is that you will sacrifice something for the other so its best for a pro to get dedicated stuff. I agree that you're a little confusing... but oh well.
Shilsh-Aash yatasay

#15New Post! Mar 17, 2012 @ 02:51:21
@Tar Said

The only thing I learned about HD cameras (DSLRs) that have video capability is that you will sacrifice something for the other so its best for a pro to get dedicated stuff. I agree that you're a little confusing... but oh well.

which is why that D800 looks nice to me

on that link I provided about half way down, there's a video that was supposedly shot entirely using that camera..

I'll provide it once more.

https://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Digital-SLR-Cameras/25480/D800.html scroll halfway down
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs