The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Art & Literature:
Photography

Can anyone give me some tips on buying a Good high quality camera?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
Tar On April 28, 2014

San Antonio, Texas
#16New Post! Mar 17, 2012 @ 03:05:31
@JuanSmith Said

which is why that D800 looks nice to me

on that link I provided about half way down, there's a video that was supposedly shot entirely using that camera..

I'll provide it once more.

https://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Digital-SLR-Cameras/25480/D800.html scroll halfway down

Good golly! Well, if that's your cup of tea to drop 3Gs, well that's a spiffy camera! Don't you think the 36 megapixels is a bit much? I mean, if you are going to do high speed picture shooting, I don't even think there is a class of SD card that is fast enough to suck down 36M per shot that fast. I got a class 10 in my card and that is just barely enough to do the 2.5 p/sec shots. And since the video you want is just like a perk thing, yeah, its a cool camera. Just be very careful to avoid fine sand around the camera cuz it can get into the lenses. I was in Saudi Arabia and got some ultra-fine sand mist into my lenses. Now the lens focus jams occasionally
JuanSmith On September 11, 2020
Shilsh-Aash yatasay

Near Eucalyptus Trees, Califor
#17New Post! Mar 17, 2012 @ 03:32:59
@Tar Said

Good golly! Well, if that's your cup of tea to drop 3Gs, well that's a spiffy camera! Don't you think the 36 megapixels is a bit much? I mean, if you are going to do high speed picture shooting, I don't even think there is a class of SD card that is fast enough to suck down 36M per shot that fast. I got a class 10 in my card and that is just barely enough to do the 2.5 p/sec shots. And since the video you want is just like a perk thing, yeah, its a cool camera. Just be very careful to avoid fine sand around the camera cuz it can get into the lenses. I was in Saudi Arabia and got some ultra-fine sand mist into my lenses. Now the lens focus jams occasionally

well who knows... with the advancements in tech I'm sure I'll put that to good use.. eventually
And the way I figure, it's not like I'm buying this to be a personal camera, you kidding me? I am strictly looking for this to a be a business asset or an addition to my arsenal.

See my original intent was to get some of the DRMO cameras left over by the military when the lots on auction but many of my combat camera friends told me the same thing about the sand being a key issue as to why they got rid of them. Luckily I don't live near that type of sandy place anymore although it is pretty humid.
JR_Sanford On August 02, 2017

Portland (St. Johns), Oregon
#18New Post! Mar 17, 2012 @ 04:20:09
@JuanSmith Said

I know there are a few of you here who are avid photographers and what not.

I would highly appreciate any tips you may have in selecting a camera.

So far I'm leaning towards a Nikon D800 and still debating what lenses to include in this purchase if I decide to go this route.

The purpose of this is for high resolution / professional quality captures (obviously) as well as the option to shoot high quality video.

My price range is anywhere from $1,000.00 - $5,000.00 for the camera itself. I feel that's a reasonable price range for what I'm looking for right?

any tips?

I'm a Canon fan. I've owned Minolta, Nikon, thenused a Canon SLR. It's like driving a BMW compared to a Pinto. I own a Canon 50D DSLR and am still in love with it after 3 years. They've come a long way since that model was introduced so shop around and see what fits your needs.

J.R.
Shilsh-Aash yatasay

#20New Post! Mar 17, 2012 @ 06:04:48
@El_Tino Said

They shot much of Act of Valor using the Canon 5D Mark II
https://www.postmagazine.com/Publications/Post-Magazine/2012/February-1-2012/Cover-Story-Act-of-Valor.aspx

They did use software after the fact to improve the image for large screens, but for most purposes it should be a damn good camera.

I've got a Canon T2Di and I love it. It's on the lower end of DSLRs but it suits my needs.

Interesting... I'll definitely take a look at that.
seems a little nicer on the pocket too....

Thanks
ClickBoom On November 12, 2012

, Canada
#21New Post! Mar 17, 2012 @ 14:16:21
@JuanSmith Said

Wow dude.. talk about being pretentious.. more camera than I can handle?

Um........... this.

@JuanSmith Said

I've never owned such a camera but I have used them, and I would say I've used them well enough.

Why the hell didn't you say that before? All you mentioned was your P & S camera.

And then this....

@JuanSmith Said

I'm not claiming to be a pro or anything of the sort or to be a specs/tech nerd on it but I have used them... By temporarily I mean as in I've never owned or was allowed to fully explore the full capabilities.

Anyone can point a borrowed camera in any direction and press the shutter release. Is that the extent of your experience or have you actually spent some time shooting in manual?

@JuanSmith Said

I've used a D700 and really liked it. But I have a bit more experience using the Canon 5D Mark II and found the lighter Canon to be a bit easier to use but I felt that it was perhaps too fragile. could have been a weight issue in my hands, I don't know.

I'm not sure what to think anymore because if your posts are correct you've been hanging around cameras more than you would like to admit. Both cameras you mentioned are pretty much the top of the line.

The Canon you mentioned is a pro body not a prosumer body. It's gone into every imaginable cesspool including war zones and you're wondering if it will be able to take a few knocks here and there. I'm thinking you need some of this s*** when you decide what to get. https://www.vistek.ca/store/BagsCases/227897/camera-armor-canon-5d-slr-camera-armor-fits-body-lenses-up-to-85m.aspx

@JuanSmith Said

Regardless as I stated above the purpose of photo shoots would be for artist development, as in head shots for PR, photo shoots at multiple locations what have you...
I am also going to look for 24-70 2.8 lens and an HD UV filter....

That's a nice all around lens but while you're at it snap up a 70-200 f2.8 IS if you buy a Canon body. 5 million wedding photographers couldn't be wrong. Don't forget the flash.

@JuanSmith Said

Also I apologize but it almost seems as if you're deliberately trying to talk down to me.

Like I said I'm not sure about you anymore. Your info is coming out in dribs and drabs and in the end you seem to have a lot more knowledge than first released. To me it's obvious you have done a ton of research and know what you want. It's just a matter of you making up your mind.

Regardless of what brand you buy either will be a fantastic setup. How can it not be in that price range. Do not cheap out on a lens. You pay for good glass you get great results.....

One of the reasons we are a bit confused is because of posts like this...

@JuanSmith Said

I'm not asking for advice on lenses or extra equipment.

And then you say this....

@JuanSmith Said

However, if you could offer tips on a basic set of lenses for the model of camera that would benefit me greatly.

And then you add this which of course you were aware of....

@JuanSmith Said

yes I know that last bit contradicts the sentence before it but since you brought it up, sure why not?

@JuanSmith Said

am I still clear as mud?

Oh ya.............
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#22New Post! Mar 17, 2012 @ 15:26:38
Nikon
Shilsh-Aash yatasay

#23New Post! Mar 17, 2012 @ 18:21:45
@ClickBoom Said

Um........... this.

Why the hell didn't you say that before? All you mentioned was your P & S camera.

And then this....

Anyone can point a borrowed camera in any direction and press the shutter release. Is that the extent of your experience or have you actually spent some time shooting in manual?

I'm not sure what to think anymore because if your posts are correct you've been hanging around cameras more than you would like to admit. Both cameras you mentioned are pretty much the top of the line.

The Canon you mentioned is a pro body not a prosumer body. It's gone into every imaginable cesspool including war zones and you're wondering if it will be able to take a few knocks here and there. I'm thinking you need some of this s*** when you decide what to get. https://www.vistek.ca/store/BagsCases/227897/camera-armor-canon-5d-slr-camera-armor-fits-body-lenses-up-to-85m.aspx

I am fully aware of what I said, and I went back and read through this a few times, and had people on my end read what I posted and I admit that perhaps it could have been a bit confusing but the point was that I was looking for a good camera.

I not once ever stated that I was a complete f***ing noob when it came to photography. Please don't read into things and make assumptions. You went ahead and assumed that I didn't have an idea of what I'm looking for or that I didn't know my way around a camera.

I apologize for the confusion but you went ahead and made assumptions based off nothing really.

I can understand if I said something to the effects. of
"teeeheeee omg guys, I'm like such a noobz and want to get a super deluxe awesome-O picture thingamabob camera. I've never ever ever in my life used one but I'm sure I'll magically learn, tehheeee"

But thank you on for the vestek link, I honestly hadn't thought about that .. Actually none of my Marine buds even had any type of protection, which would explain why all those nice cameras get sent to auction after a deployment ha ha ha.
So in regards to that, thank you very much.. MUCH APPRECIATED, really.

@ClickBoom Said

That's a nice all around lens but while you're at it snap up a 70-200 f2.8 IS if you buy a Canon body. 5 million wedding photographers couldn't be wrong. Don't forget the flash.

Like I said I'm not sure about you anymore. Your info is coming out in dribs and drabs and in the end you seem to have a lot more knowledge than first released. To me it's obvious you have done a ton of research and know what you want. It's just a matter of you making up your mind.

Once more, thanks for that Lens tip, I'm writing all of this down.

I honestly was not anticipating having to give a full description of my life here. But I understand how I may have confused you. I'm fairly knowledgeable with the cameras I mentioned. However, these were issued as in military issue or on loan via a military warehouse. I was not allowed to go too deep into the full specs and capabilities of such. I've done lots of research but wanted to get other people's ideas on a good camera since I have personally never owned one before. I want to make a good investment into something that will last and give me a competitive edge if you will. And that's precisely where I'm at; trying to make up my mind on what to get, hence the whole point of me coming in here and trying to get other people's views on the subject.

@ClickBoom Said

Regardless of what brand you buy either will be a fantastic setup. How can it not be in that price range. Do not cheap out on a lens. You pay for good glass you get great results.....

One of the reasons we are a bit confused is because of posts like this...
And then you say this....
And then you add this which of course you were aware of....

Oh ya.............

I'm not sure how that is confusing in the least bit, I made it pretty clear that I was not originally asking for the latter but since you went ahead and brought it up, that I was up for tips on that too now.

Regardless of that, I honestly and truly appreciate the feedback you made with your links, definitely adding a few more things to consider.

Again, thanks!
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#24New Post! Mar 17, 2012 @ 18:37:07
To expand on my earlier comment:

I love Nikons. I started with the Nikkorma (long time ago) then went to the Nikon FM2... my "work horse" for the better part of the last 30 years.

I have played around with Cannon, Olympus.... I even have a Fujifilm FinePix S700... not bad for a little tourist camera.

But, IMO, the Nikon is the real way to go if you are serious about photography.

I am sure many will disagree... but hey, some people like the Mercedes while others like the BMW.... etc.

, Canada
#25New Post! Mar 18, 2012 @ 02:59:25
@JuanSmith Said

I apologize for the confusion but you went ahead and made assumptions based off nothing really.

With all due respect may I suggest you get your buddies / friends to read every word you have written and then come back and make the same statement. I don't really want to get in a pissing contest over this but ffs man you open the thread with some information and then gob-smack us with a ton of s*** you withheld right off the bat. If you would have given us the straight bill of goods regarding your experience level from the get-go we wouldn't be having this conversation. Most people that ask for advice of this nature on a forum do so with minimal experience which isn't your situation. Unfortunately it took us a while to get there.

With reference to Canon vs Nikon both are good cameras and there isn't a person on this site, me included, that could give a series of valid reasons to buy one or the other. Both are great especially in the high end line which you are considering. If your comfortable with one then buy it. Like Chaski said... some like Chevs and some like Fords.

Good luck in all your endevors.

One more thing... I was going to axe you for a photo job but you being military that may not be such a good idea.

Just kidding................

, Canada
#26New Post! Mar 18, 2012 @ 03:25:02
Have you ever thought of looking at CraigsList in your area? You might be able to find exactly what you want and save a ton of cash while you're at it?
Shilsh-Aash yatasay

#27New Post! Mar 18, 2012 @ 06:38:00
@ClickBoom Said

With all due respect may I suggest you get your buddies / friends to read every word you have written and then come back and make the same statement. I don't really want to get in a pissing contest over this but ffs man you open the thread with some information and then gob-smack us with a ton of s*** you withheld right off the bat. If you would have given us the straight bill of goods regarding your experience level from the get-go we wouldn't be having this conversation. Most people that ask for advice of this nature on a forum do so with minimal experience which isn't your situation. Unfortunately it took us a while to get there.

With reference to Canon vs Nikon both are good cameras and there isn't a person on this site, me included, that could give a series of valid reasons to buy one or the other. Both are great especially in the high end line which you are considering. If your comfortable with one then buy it. Like Chaski said... some like Chevs and some like Fords.

Good luck in all your endevors.

One more thing... I was going to axe you for a photo job but you being military that may not be such a good idea.

Just kidding................

Fair enough.

My mistake, I thought I was clear, that was obviously not the case. My mistake. But still thanks for the feedback.

and I'm no longer in the military, I was medically retired. some silly thing about me being physically disabled or some crazy crap.. but meh... whatever.

@ClickBoom Said

Have you ever thought of looking at CraigsList in your area? You might be able to find exactly what you want and save a ton of cash while you're at it?

Craigslist hasn't been much help, and eBay.. well I'm not too trusting on that end.

anything in my area is crap for the most part. unless you're looking for some illegal weapon that is.
JR_Sanford On August 02, 2017

Portland (St. Johns), Oregon
#28New Post! Sep 20, 2012 @ 08:47:04
@JuanSmith Said

I know there are a few of you here who are avid photographers and what not.

I would highly appreciate any tips you may have in selecting a camera.

So far I'm leaning towards a Nikon D800 and still debating what lenses to include in this purchase if I decide to go this route.

The purpose of this is for high resolution / professional quality captures (obviously) as well as the option to shoot high quality video.

My price range is anywhere from $1,000.00 - $5,000.00 for the camera itself. I feel that's a reasonable price range for what I'm looking for right?

any tips?

I just love my Canon 50D DSLR camera. I do not do videos so it's perfect for me. Check out the Canon website for a display of their EOS digital cameras that fit within your budget constraints.

J.R.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs