The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Random

Why are some people proud of acting stupid?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 · >>
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#1New Post! Feb 21, 2010 @ 05:47:52
Like if they act intelligent, they'll be a snob or something. Since when is being dumb some kind of social litmus test? Why would dumb ever be a goal? Yet some people wear their apearence of ineptitude like a badge. The interesting thing is, this is supposedly so they don't come across as "superior" or "elitist", and yet the very reason they do it is because they think not acting intelligent makes them better than people who do. Ironic isn't it?
JorieJukebox On April 24, 2024

Right Here, Not There,
#2New Post! Feb 21, 2010 @ 05:50:26
Funny, I was pondering on a similar point earlier today. I think stupidity is like insanity... insane people aren't aware that they are insane, kind of in the same way stupid people aren't aware that they are stupid! But that was just a random conclusion my brain came up with today!
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#3New Post! Feb 21, 2010 @ 06:00:15
know-it-alls are generally not appreciated (our own "Know it all" excepted of course. Who enjoys, after all, being around someone who thinks they're always right? And if they happen to be the type of people who end up being right more often then not, it's ten times more irritating. grrrrr.
Wingsy On November 26, 2023
wingsdillialicious!

Wingsville,
#4New Post! Feb 21, 2010 @ 06:00:24
People seem to want to be accepted so badly by the people they've deemed to be the "right" people that they're perfectly willing to pretend to be something they're not to get that acceptance. I don't know if it has to do with the way people are raised or not. My parents taught me not to compromise myself for the sake of other people, and I don't. I decided long ago that people will either like me or not, and I have no control over anything but my own behavior. I'd rather be myself and be happy than pretend to be something I'm not and be miserable just to get a few extra people to like me.

There are things I know, and there are things I don't know. I'm not afraid to admit when I don't know something, or don't understand something. I'll never learn the things I don't know if I don't ask. I refuse to dumb myself down to please a few people who will only matter for a very short period of time.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#5New Post! Feb 21, 2010 @ 06:02:55
@DuLu Said

know-it-alls are generally not appreciated (our own "Know it all" excepted of course. Who enjoys, after all, being around someone who thinks they're always right? And if they happen to be the type of people who end up being right more often then not, it's ten times more irritating. grrrrr.

There's a lot of middle ground between "idiot" and "know-it-all".
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#6New Post! Feb 21, 2010 @ 06:05:20
@Wingsy Said

People seem to want to be accepted so badly by the people they've deemed to be the "right" people that they're perfectly willing to pretend to be something they're not to get that acceptance. I don't know if it has to do with the way people are raised or not. My parents taught me not to compromise myself for the sake of other people, and I don't. I decided long ago that people will either like me or not, and I have no control over anything but my own behavior. I'd rather be myself and be happy than pretend to be something I'm not and be miserable just to get a few extra people to like me.

There are things I know, and there are things I don't know. I'm not afraid to admit when I don't know something, or don't understand something. I'll never learn the things I don't know if I don't ask. I refuse to dumb myself down to please a few people who will only matter for a very short period of time.

Besides that, you would always know it wasn't "you" they liked anyway, it was the facade you'd put up they liked. I imagine that would be a lonely feeling, knowing that no one knew the real you at all.
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#7New Post! Feb 21, 2010 @ 06:06:49
@jorie_13 Said

Funny, I was pondering on a similar point earlier today. I think stupidity is like insanity... insane people aren't aware that they are insane, kind of in the same way stupid people aren't aware that they are stupid! But that was just a random conclusion my brain came up with today!

love your siggie, jorie.
What's even scarier is the possibility that maybe 'they' are the sane/smart/ 'normal' ones -- according to them, at least.
Wingsy On November 26, 2023
wingsdillialicious!

Wingsville,
#8New Post! Feb 21, 2010 @ 06:06:54
@Lili Said

Besides that, you would always know it wasn't "you" they liked anyway, it was the facade you'd put up they liked. I imagine that would be a lonely feeling, knowing that no one knew the real you at all.

Exactly! I prefer to be me and be happy than be what someone else wants me to be and be miserable!
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#9New Post! Feb 21, 2010 @ 06:09:16
@DuLu Said

love your siggie, jorie.
What's even scarier is the possibility that maybe 'they' are the sane/smart/ 'normal' ones -- at least according to some of 'them'.
Ko On January 25, 2011
\\m/(>.<)\\m/

949 Orange County, California
#10New Post! Feb 21, 2010 @ 06:13:49
I think knowing too much, knowing too little, and knowing nothing can all harm you and make you look stupid if you overact to hide or to act as if you are better than who you already are at the stage.

Knowing nothing: It's best to keep quiet, observe the things being said and words being exchanged by actually participating parties who also know what's going on. Then do some research on your own and if you're sure, then jump in the conversion and share only what you've learned. That'll keep the person respected or no change in credibility. If you Keep going without actual further knowledge, but just for the sake of arguing, then it'll sound stupid.

Knowing little: The same goes for this as Knowing nothing. If you speak of what you have learned no harm to you (or even no harm to the listener, the person who may be following your advice or tips!). But if you go too far, far from what your knowledge truly holds, then you'll sound stupid sooner of later when someone with real knowledge on the subject come by.

Knowing too much: This is not bad but can also make a person look and sound stupid. Especially in the case of the minds rushing to let a person know that he/she is wrong. The actual know-it-all will respond by rush arranging the words (may it be in speaking or typing online), leaving some info or backup sources out, where the actual words coming out sound less credible than a know little would say. It is best to give time to listen to others and respond as well, or you'll look stupid with your answers.

I think it's the way a person reacts or jump into a bubble/conversations that make them look stupid.

And if this whole thing will somehow become targeted towards me, I only say random stuffs or advices (stupid or not) for the love of TFS-ers! so shuuush j/k
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#11New Post! Feb 21, 2010 @ 06:15:53
? um, okay. Liked your little disclaimer at the end.
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#12New Post! Feb 21, 2010 @ 06:21:59
Ko, Ko, he's our man, if HE can't fix it, no one can
floydgirrl On October 08, 2022
Stalkee

Pope's Wine Celler, Holy See (
#13New Post! Feb 21, 2010 @ 06:24:24
Sometimes stupid, doesn't know they're stupid.
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#14New Post! Feb 21, 2010 @ 06:53:58
it's funny, and sad, when that's the case.
aspergerkid On February 18, 2012

jacksonville, Florida
#15New Post! Feb 21, 2010 @ 06:54:48
Okay well I sometimes come off as being stupid, but in reality I'm not, I get completely awesome test scores on things like SAT and FCATS (still in highschool) and for the majority of the time i have good commonsense. But naturally still being a kid I have a silly side too. And it definitely can come off like I'm stupid. I am not TRYING to be stupid, that is just my silly side. If people want to know all sides of me which includes my intelligent side, then they will get to know me better. Honesty (no offense at all really ) don't even like this topic because that is misjudging a lot of people.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs