The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Random

Why are some people proud of acting stupid?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 · >>
Ko On January 25, 2011
\\m/(>.<)\\m/

949 Orange County, California
#61New Post! Feb 21, 2010 @ 20:09:05
@AngelaXoxo Said

I know you weren't talking to me, but this thread got me thinking when Cole was talking about going back to school.

It doesn't matter. Been there, done that and not even in a gentle way like you did. I just bumped in the thread.

@AngelaXoxo Said

I finally got a Stafford loan paid off which had been in default for nearly the whole 15 years. I can't count the number of times I had it on forbearance and deference.

My son's in school now. He couldn't get nearly enough grant $$$, plus he didn't qualify for any loans like I did with the Stafford.

Now, I've got a loan with Sallie Mae (They'd taken over my loan which was in default.) for HIM. I can't believe I was even able to qualify for that, though.

It's strange that it works this way, but I think HE couldn't get much financial aid because I became eligible when my loan was paid off.

He went through FAFSA. Now there's some type of direct loan. I still had to reapply for a loan for him with Sallie Mae. This is done every quarter and the loan I qualify for is a Parent(s?) Plus Loan.

Yes, parent plus loan is for students still being dependent. That's same as me too because my parents still have me under them so I was given that loan option and the lesser student subsided loan or something else.

@AngelaXoxo Said

He's taking a quarter off due to poor health, but he should be able to graduate in 1.5 years or less anyway.

I haven't checked into it, but I don't think I'd qualify for a loan of my own.

I've told him that I'll wait till he graduates before I go for my degree. I'd rather see my son get his education right now, you know?

That's so nice of you and considerate. And yes, I think it's more important, not in the sense that yours doesn't matter but in the sense that once he finish and get his degree, he'll get a good job as well and be bale to support you and himself as well! That souns sweet isn't it? Hard to meet moms and sons like you these days. This is how always have been in my country tradition!

@AngelaXoxo Said

I've got several fields of study in mind.

I'm aggravated because I'm not able to obtain one of my transcripts. I don't know if I even have enough credits to transfer if I need 'em, but the thought of having to take certain courses again is annoying (although a refresher course or two wouldn't hurt after 15 years).

Apparently, the last commercial college I attended is no longer in business and there is no way I can contact anyone about this?!

I'm sure community colleges or most institutions are accredited right? Or did you go to a freshly new one? I'm sure the gov or state will have records of the institution and can verify you and some other way transcripts as well. OR the new college you intend to go to have tests where you can take and pass that course. Study/review on your own and take the test, it'll save you money and some time too.

@AngelaXoxo Said

I've got my basics and I did get THAT transcript, thank God.

So, my plan is to try and get involved in some commodity trading that my dad's been successful with (self-taught). I don't want to do THAT in the long run, though.

I've heard good things about the University of Phoenix's online courses. I can probably afford to take a class or two. There are a couple more colleges I'm gonna check into.

Do you have any suggestions for California based colleges which offer LEGIT courses?

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

University of Phoenix's is reputable too. First I thought it's just online thing but I've met people in medical fields getting their first degrees from there (they went to university though). But yes, what I meant was it is a very respectable one, not like other online degree craps you know.

Do you mean distance educations? I think they have online courses. You can look into the UCs, Saddleback College (nice junior college by the way, went for 2 years there before transferring), Irvine Valley College (courses are a bit easy). Look through their sites about distance education or online degree opportunity.

All the best, and good luck,
-Ko
AngelaXoxo On March 29, 2010

Deleted

Atlantis, Texas
#62New Post! Feb 21, 2010 @ 20:23:12
@Ko Said

It doesn't matter. Been there, done that and not even in a gentle way like you did. I just bumped in the thread.

Cool!

@Ko Said
Yes, parent plus loan is for students still being dependent. That's same as me too because my parents still have me under them so I was given that loan option and the lesser student subsided loan or something else.

I still don't understand that because at his age, I don't claim him as a dependent. He doesn't even live in the same city I do. I'm still glad I could get the loan, though.

@Ko Said
That's so nice of you and considerate. And yes, I think it's more important, not in the sense that yours doesn't matter but in the sense that once he finish and get his degree, he'll get a good job as well and be bale to support you and himself as well! That souns sweet isn't it? Hard to meet moms and sons like you these days. This is how always have been in my country tradition!

Yeah, he comes first but he won't be supporting me. I just want him to have a better life. I think most parents want that for their kids. Thanks for the compliments.

@Ko Said
I'm sure community colleges or most institutions are accredited right? Or did you go to a freshly new one? I'm sure the gov or state will have records of the institution and can verify you and some other way transcripts as well. OR the new college you intend to go to have tests where you can take and pass that course. Study/review on your own and take the test, it'll save you money and some time too.

It's called American Commercial College and there is a branch near here. I didn't think of that earlier. They might have my records.

@Ko Said
University of Phoenix's is reputable too. First I thought it's just online thing but I've met people in medical fields getting their first degrees from there (they went to university though). But yes, what I meant was it is a very respectable one, not like other online degree craps you know.

Do you mean distance educations? I think they have online courses. You can look into the UCs, Saddleback College (nice junior college by the way, went for 2 years there before transferring), Irvine Valley College (courses are a bit easy). Look through their sites about distance education or online degree opportunity.

I'm just interested in the online courses at this time. I live too far from any colleges which offer all the fields I'm interested in.

@Ko Said
All the best, and good luck,
-Ko

Thank you and I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.
ambivalence On March 10, 2010

Deleted

, Canada
#63New Post! Feb 21, 2010 @ 20:31:24
Define 'Stupid' and 'Intelligent'.

Deleted

, Canada
#64New Post! Feb 21, 2010 @ 20:33:30
@AngelaXoxo Said

I'm 'pleasantly plump' so there's more to love.

Yeah, I can 'hear' the insults coming from some of the members' brains as I type this.

It's not the size of the person, it's the amount of compassion which someone has.

Thin, medium or large does not define a person, only if that person has a very small mind.
Ko On January 25, 2011
\\m/(>.<)\\m/

#65New Post! Feb 21, 2010 @ 20:33:52
@AngelaXoxo Said

Cool!

I still don't understand that because at his age, I don't claim him as a dependent. He doesn't even live in the same city I do. I'm still glad I could get the loan, though.

Oh probably as a parent guardian signature and guarantee thing, accordingly to FAFSA scores.

@AngelaXoxo Said

Yeah, he comes first but he won't be supporting me. I just want him to have a better life. I think most parents want that for their kids. Thanks for the compliments.

He will once it's the time of needs and occasionally too!

@AngelaXoxo Said

It's called American Commercial College and there is a branch near here. I didn't think of that earlier. They might have my records.

I see. I'll try to search about it later and something about old closed one.

@AngelaXoxo Said

I'm just interested in the online courses at this time. I live too far from any colleges which offer all the fields I'm interested in.

Ya look at the colleges and even universities I've mentioned. Most have online courses. For degrees as well.

@AngelaXoxo Said

Thank you and I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

My pleasure!
Ko On January 25, 2011
\\m/(>.<)\\m/

#66New Post! Feb 21, 2010 @ 20:34:08
@ambivalence Said

Ko

Deleted

, Canada
#67New Post! Feb 21, 2010 @ 20:39:46
@Ko Said

Ko

What? What some may consider stupid others may consider knowledgeable.

I may not have book learned smarts but have plenty of life learned skills which I use to talk to people that are going through situations that I've gone through and hopefully help them know that they aren't the only ones that have suffered this trauma in their lives.

Would I be considered 'Stupid' because I wasn't book learned?

As I see it books can only take you so far, life brings you into the depths of life that books can't even begin to describe.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#68New Post! Feb 21, 2010 @ 20:40:11
@ambivalence Said

Acting Stupid:
"We don't use big words around here, do we Bud? Ha ha! High five! That's right! Hey, toss me a beer while yer over there, wouldja?" More concerned with being "buddies" with everyone than having the information necessary to make informed choices in their lives.

Intelligence:
Not claiming to know everything, but genuinely trying to get a well rounded collection of information so you can be informed and educated about the world you live in so the choices you make will have more chance of actually being beneficial to yourself and others.
Edited: February 21, 2010 @ 20:41

Deleted

, Canada
#69New Post! Feb 21, 2010 @ 20:41:53
@Lili Said

Acting Stupid:
"We don't use big words around here, do we Bud? Ha ha! High five! That's right!, Eh, toss me a beer while yer over there, wouldja?" More concerned with being "buddies" with everyone than having the information necessary to make infored choices in their lives.

Intelligence:
Not claiming to know everything, but genuinely trying to get a well rounded collection of information so you can be informed and educated about the world you live in so the choices you make will have more chance of actually being beneficial to yourself and others.

Strike me off the first example, I may not be smart but I don't talk like that and never did.
AngelaXoxo On March 29, 2010

Deleted

Atlantis, Texas
#70New Post! Feb 21, 2010 @ 20:47:56
@Ko Said

Oh probably as a parent guardian signature and guarantee thing, accordingly to FAFSA scores.

He will once it's the time of needs and occasionally too!

I see. I'll try to search about it later and something about old closed one.

Ya look at the colleges and even universities I've mentioned. Most have online courses. For degrees as well.

@Ko Said
My pleasure!

@Ko Said
Ko

Thanks for your help. Don't worry about that old college. I'm sure I can get around that transcript, depending on the courses I take.

I was asking about legit online universities because I'd hate to pay for courses, get any type of certificate or degree, and then have some potential employer say I don't have the right qualifications for the job. That's about the type of 'luck' I have.

You are not stupid, but you're plenty intelligent. I have to give Kudos to others before I can give you more.
Edited: February 21, 2010 @ 20:50
Ko On January 25, 2011
\\m/(>.<)\\m/

#71New Post! Feb 21, 2010 @ 20:48:50
@ambivalence Said

I may not have book learned smarts but have plenty of life learned skills which I use to talk to people that are going through situations that I've gone through and hopefully help them know that they aren't the only ones that have suffered this trauma in their lives.

As I see it books can only take you so far, life brings you into the depths of life that books can't even begin to describe.

I agreed.

Stupid is when a person knows that he isn't familiar with the topic, thinks if he say something to the extent that he knows it could sound stupid (which is not by the way, all advices and inputs are useful), and suddenly say beyond what his knowledge holds. Things come out "smart" but in reality it's just guesses. Silence if a virtue. That statement comes from this. And in old philosophies there is this statement called "to know that he knows nothing is virtuous than getting involved with what he doesn't know and acting if he does".

Book intelligence and life intelligence are two different things and both are good things. Two examples:

A book smart knows everything from the readings. Some matters are dynamic even for the topics the person's read. If he keeps the old believes then the person is no longer intelligent but ignorant and stupid. That book smart person may not know how to deal with life experiences. Likewise, the life smart person lacks book knowledge but knows how to comfort others if there are struggles and such. So they are both useful in both ways and lacking one of those "smartness" doesn't mean they're stupid.

Stupidity lies with how the person react and without further gathering of info/knowledge, boldly participating by going beyond what he knows. He's not even saying "in my opinion" or "from my guess", he's straight up "I know that...". That's stupid.
Ko On January 25, 2011
\\m/(>.<)\\m/

#72New Post! Feb 21, 2010 @ 20:50:22
@AngelaXoxo Said

Thanks for your help. Don't worry about that old college. I'm sure I can get around that transcript, depending on the courses I take.

I was asking about legit online universities because I'd hate to pay for courses, get any type of certificate or degree, and then have some potential employer say I don't have the right qualifications for the job. That's about the type of 'luck' I have.

You are not stupid, but you're plenty intelligent. I have to give Kudos to others before I can give you more.

No worries!

Ya, I've seen that. Just go with accreditted and known ones and you'll be fine.

I'm out of kudos to share THAT fast too!

Good luck!

Deleted

, Canada
#73New Post! Feb 21, 2010 @ 20:51:37
@Ko Said

I agreed.

Stupid is when a person knows that he isn't familiar with the topic, thinks if he say something to the extent that he knows it could sound stupid (which is not by the way, all advices and inputs are useful), and suddenly say beyond what his knowledge holds. Things come out "smart" but in reality it's just guesses. Silence if a virtue. That statement comes from this. And in old philosophies there is this statement called "to know that he knows nothing is virtuous than getting involved with what he doesn't know and acting if he does".

Book intelligence and life intelligence are two different things and both are good things. Two examples:

A book smart knows everything from the readings. Some matters are dynamic even for the topics the person's read. If he keeps the old believes then the person is no longer intelligent but ignorant and stupid. That book smart person may not know how to deal with life experiences. Likewise, the life smart person lacks book knowledge but knows how to comfort others if there are struggles and such. So they are both useful in both ways and lacking one of those "smartness" doesn't mean they're stupid.

Stupidity lies with how the person react and without further gathering of info/knowledge, boldly participating by going beyond what he knows. He's not even saying "in my opinion" or "from my guess", he's straight up "I know that...". That's stupid.

Gotcha! I've said many stupid things then.
Ko On January 25, 2011
\\m/(>.<)\\m/

#74New Post! Feb 21, 2010 @ 20:53:36
@ambivalence Said

Gotcha! I've said many stupid things then.

Opinions are not stupid, questions aren't either. As long as you didn't state you know for the fact! I still love you though!
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#75New Post! Feb 21, 2010 @ 21:06:36
@ambivalence Said

It has nothing to do with college or book learning, I dropped out of high school when I was 15, and I never went to college. I don't consider myself stupid, and I'm far from the classic "book learned" intellectual. I do seek to be informed on things that I find relevent to my life and interests. For some, that's aqcuiring a ton of facts on any number of subjects, for others it's paying very close attention to the emotional needs of the people around you (it can really be a science, psychology and emotions are complicated, to say the least!), for others, it's becoming an expert on a very highly specialized subject. The point is, applying yourself and using your brain is intelligent.

Intentionally avoiding using your brain, trying to coast through life with as little mental effort as possible, or even bragging about how little you know is stupid in my opinion.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs