College Life

Online courses

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
annski729 On July 24, 2016

, United States (general)
#1New Post! Apr 23, 2009 @ 00:52:09
Has anyone taken an online class before?

I signed up for an online summer class. It starts just after my finals end But I thought since I had three months off and am having trouble finding a job I'd get some extra credits and fulfill a gen ed & major requirement.

Anyway, I'll probably get the actual book and avoid the e-book, but I was wondering how others felt overall about other aspects of taking a course online?
rosewillow On July 19, 2015

Deleted

, New Zealand
#2New Post! Apr 23, 2009 @ 00:54:32
I'd find it hard, I lack motivation when it comes to school work.

Are there online lectures? Or is it all self directed?
RobbyF On November 11, 2016

Silver Spring, Maryland
#3New Post! Apr 23, 2009 @ 00:55:18
What class will it be??

#4New Post! Apr 23, 2009 @ 00:57:27
@rosewillow Said

I'd find it hard, I lack motivation when it comes to school work.

Are there online lectures? Or is it all self directed?

I think there are recorded lectures. And readings, and reading assignments, and discussion board posts and stuff.

There's also extra credit for submitting certain assignments earlier than the due date, so I might be motivated by that lol

@RobbyF Said

What class will it be??

Theories of Personality.
rosewillow On July 19, 2015

Deleted

, New Zealand
#5New Post! Apr 23, 2009 @ 00:58:53
Sounds interesting!

I think I would just do it all in the last week of the holidays. Procrastination is a b****.
aceuvclubs On August 22, 2020
You with the face!

Seattle, Washington
#6New Post! Apr 23, 2009 @ 00:59:09
I've taken four so far through a university approved by my work (military). First class was a required course to introduce me to online learning and how to use educational resources online (scholar search engines). Then i took a Political Science, a math, and a Spanish 101 course.
RobbyF On November 11, 2016

Silver Spring, Maryland
#7New Post! Apr 23, 2009 @ 01:00:00
@annski729 Said

I think there are recorded lectures. And readings, and reading assignments, and discussion board posts and stuff.

There's also extra credit for submitting certain assignments earlier than the due date, so I might be motivated by that lol

Theories of Personality.

That sounds like it may be hard online. I have never taken one but I may soon. Idk if its for me or not but I bet you will do fine in it!
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#8New Post! Apr 23, 2009 @ 01:05:45
If you are self moitivated...then its not bad.

I took a couple online courses...and they were fairly okay.

But I hate them to tell the truth...they're annoying as heck..I try to take it in person if I Can.

The reason I dislike them is because you have a lot more work, as in assignments, reports, papers then you would in a regular classroom setting. Understandable as it is online, and your work is online. But the worst part is deadlines...every single week you have to by a certain date post something, listen to something. And the teacher assigns three different days during the week (varying of course) to turn different things in by a certain time. If you're one minute late, points are taken out....exams sometimes don't get graded cause you submitted them late or something. Its so easy to forget or mix up dates with online courses. Plus its kinda scary...you only have an hour to complete an online exam...and there are 60 questions...either your either rushed for time or something. Plus if your computer freezes or something you get locked out of an exam, you cant get back in and the teacher warns you. I got paranoid once cause my router was doing something funny where my internet connection would stop then get back online again and I was afraid that i would get logged out.

But that being said...don't let that scare you. If you stay on top of it, you'll do fine. Easy A in my opinion. Taken a couple and passed all with an A (yes getting some stuff posted late and forget to study for a quiz or completely forgotten to take a quiz, lol)
hazuki0chan On July 18, 2012
Zombie Slayer

San Francisco, California
#9New Post! Apr 23, 2009 @ 01:06:09
aw, man. I'm always dreading online classes. I've never had an online class. Still, it's not the same as learning in a class room.
LaLaMissMandy On September 27, 2009

Deleted

EUGENE, Oregon
#10New Post! Apr 23, 2009 @ 01:10:40
I took a similar class online, the coursework was really easy but I felt like I would have gotten much more out of the class by actually being in class, where you can ask questions and discuss it with other people. Good Luck
Wingsy On November 26, 2023
wingsdillialicious!

Wingsville,
#11New Post! Apr 23, 2009 @ 01:12:09
I've done all of my criminal justice classes online. The only reason I quit was that I had gotten very ill and was just too tired to keep up.
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#12New Post! Apr 23, 2009 @ 01:14:56
@LaLaMissMandy Said

I took a similar class online, the coursework was really easy but I felt like I would have gotten much more out of the class by actually being in class, where you can ask questions and discuss it with other people. Good Luck

lol. My favorite types are those with no deadlines. You have a set number of things, and you have all semester to do them as long as you turn them all in by the week before the class ends.

Those I love...so i either finish it all in the first two weeks and not worry about the class or cram at the last minute...deservingly though.

#13New Post! Apr 23, 2009 @ 01:23:40
Thanks everyone.

Yeah, mine has deadlines. And we have a discussion board in order to ask questions and stuff.
aceuvclubs On August 22, 2020
You with the face!

Seattle, Washington
#14New Post! Apr 23, 2009 @ 01:38:00
My online courses have used the discussion board heavily. It seems the teachers make sure to put a large percentage of the grade on participation within the discussion area.
LaLaMissMandy On September 27, 2009

Deleted

EUGENE, Oregon
#15New Post! Apr 23, 2009 @ 01:48:42
@aceuvclubs Said

My online courses have used the discussion board heavily. It seems the teachers make sure to put a large percentage of the grade on participation within the discussion area.

I guess my teacher was lazy because there were no discussion boards or anything... I could barely get him to respond by email.

Discussion boards would make it easier.. especially if you are shy in class
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs