Unemployment Benefits - Real Politics in Motion

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>
jackmcg On August 20, 2010

Deleted

West Chester, Pennsylvania
#1New Post! Jul 19, 2010 @ 13:28:19
AP story on the President blaming Republicans for failure to extend unemployment benefits to the nation's unemployed.

https://apnews.myway.com/article/20100719/D9H225EG0.html

OK, the Democrats want to extend UB by simply having a vote and putting the action out there unfunded, adding to the already heavy federal debt.

The Republicans will not agree to this and want the UB extension paid for, many stating they would vote for passage if the Administration would allow Stimulus funds to be used.

Since the federal government has used over $20MM in Stimulus funds to pay for road signs that tell us they are using stimulus funds, why can't the Stimulus package be used to fund UB?

Nancy Pelosi, after all, recently stated that unemployment compensation was one of the greatest stimulus growers in the country. Yet, the Democrat congress people won't allow any remaining Stimulus money to be used for UB. What gives? A lot of money in that escrow account just sitting and waiting for what? Thoughts on this, anyone?
WASH On June 04, 2012

LINCOLN, California
#2New Post! Jul 20, 2010 @ 20:25:20
@jackmcg Said

AP story on the President blaming Republicans for failure to extend unemployment benefits to the nation's unemployed.

https://apnews.myway.com/article/20100719/D9H225EG0.html

OK, the Democrats want to extend UB by simply having a vote and putting the action out there unfunded, adding to the already heavy federal debt.

The Republicans will not agree to this and want the UB extension paid for, many stating they would vote for passage if the Administration would allow Stimulus funds to be used.

Since the federal government has used over $20MM in Stimulus funds to pay for road signs that tell us they are using stimulus funds, why can't the Stimulus package be used to fund UB?

Nancy Pelosi, after all, recently stated that unemployment compensation was one of the greatest stimulus growers in the country. Yet, the Democrat congress people won't allow any remaining Stimulus money to be used for UB. What gives? A lot of money in that escrow account just sitting and waiting for what? Thoughts on this, anyone?

Maybe because the UE was ajusted to pay out for a CERTAIN number of weeks.
Problem is that Congress did not add that after those weeks were ussed, those still unemployed could continue to get paid IF they worked on local government prijects for about three days per week until???
leeberttea On July 24, 2010

Deleted

Oxford, Illinois
#3New Post! Jul 20, 2010 @ 20:32:42
It's passed. The democrats were able to defeat the filibuster with the new senatorial appointment from WV. Now UB will be extended to 126 weeks from 99. Will they extend them again? Why stop at 126 weeks? Why not make them last in perpetuity until the unemployment rate falls below 4%? As you said Pelosi thinks UB are stimulative, so why not lay off everyone and give them benefits? I swear, government makes no sense! If this is America;s best and brightest we're in big FN trouble!
Bill_Huggins On July 20, 2010

#4New Post! Jul 20, 2010 @ 20:55:57
this congresses disregard of paying for things properly is troubling...
WASH On June 04, 2012

LINCOLN, California
#5New Post! Jul 23, 2010 @ 23:04:20
@Bill_Huggins Said

this congresses disregard of paying for things properly is troubling...

Join the masses, BILL. This Congress, with Nancy and her twin in the Senate at the wheel, is heading to the rocks.
LuckyCharms On July 31, 2021
Magically Delicious

#6New Post! Jul 23, 2010 @ 23:12:34
As much as I hate to interrupt this circle jerk, exactly what do you propose when there are six applicants for every job? What do you think will stop people from losing their homes and creating an even worse tail spin in the housing market? I'm not a big fan of this, but in all reality what is the better solution?

It's all well and good to blame Pelosi et al (it seems very in fashion) but what is the real solution?
aquine On May 30, 2014
Psalm 2 = Rev 11:15

Banned

Alice SPrings, Australia
#7New Post! Jul 23, 2010 @ 23:54:10
The only humans who should be given money for nothing are those who are unable to earn it.

Those who are unwilling to work should starve to death.

Blessed be the name of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Eastender On August 13, 2010

Deleted
Banned

, Falkland Islands (Islas Malv
#8New Post! Jul 24, 2010 @ 00:14:10
@aquine Said

The only humans who should be given money for nothing are those who are unable to earn it.

Christian compassion and charity at work, eh? Puritan 'work ethic' rules ok?! What a load of nonsense!
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#9New Post! Jul 24, 2010 @ 00:18:41
@aquine Said

@Eastender Said

Christian compassion and charity at work, eh? Puritan 'work ethic' rules ok?! What a load of nonsense!

I actually thought that was a good system. Back when one could exist like that. Farmers would only go over their field once and whatever they missed could be harvested by the poor. If they wanted to eat, they worked for it.

That system doesn't work these days because not everybody is a farmer and they don't allow you to glean their fields anyway.

Deleted
Banned

#10New Post! Jul 24, 2010 @ 00:23:40
@someone_else Said

I actually thought that was a good system. Back when one could exist like that. Farmers would only go over their field once and whatever they missed could be harvested by the poor. If they wanted to eat, they worked for it.

That system doesn't work these days because not everybody is a farmer and they don't allow you to glean their fields anyway.

Yeah, but the basic attitude exists though doesnt it? Especially in 'right wing' groups and politics. The idea that charity is some sort of evil thing. Its just a hard uncaring attitude.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#11New Post! Jul 24, 2010 @ 00:29:16
@Eastender Said

Yeah, but the basic attitude exists though doesnt it? Especially in 'right wing' groups and politics. The idea that charity is some sort of evil thing. Its just a hard uncaring attitude.

I've said lots of times that I don't follow politics so I can't really comment on that per se. I've never noticed anyone thinking that charity was an evil thing except proud people who didn't want it to help themselves.

I do have issues with some people on the welfare system just because they are content with just taking the help but not trying to get out of needing it. Only able bodied adults without dependents (ABAWD) are required to look for a job to be on welfare. There are some who just stay on it having child after child after child so there's no way they'll ever have to prove they have the need. That's a load of crap imo. If they couldn't afford to have the first one, why should we pay for them to have 3 more?

Unemployment is a different issue altogether. These people are genuinely looking for jobs that just aren't there.

Edit: another pointless post.

Deleted
Banned

#12New Post! Jul 24, 2010 @ 00:31:56
@someone_else Said

I've said lots of times that I don't follow politics so I can't really comment on that per se. I've never noticed anyone thinking that charity was an evil thing except proud people who didn't want it to help themselves.

I do have issues with some people on the welfare system just because they are content with just taking the help but not trying to get out of needing it. Only able bodied adults without dependents (ABAWD) are required to look for a job to be on welfare. There are some who just stay on it having child after child after child so there's no way they'll ever have to prove they have the need. That's a load of crap imo. If they couldn't afford to have the first one, why should we pay for them to have 3 more?

Unemployment is a different issue altogether. These people are genuinely looking for jobs that just aren't there.

Edit: another pointless post.

There is a vein of anti-charity in right wing politics. It seems to be the same in religion too in some ways. But Conservatives here in Britain and - from what Ive heard - more right wing and conservative groups in America are anti-charity basically in their basic ethic.
aquine On May 30, 2014

Banned

Alice SPrings, Australia
#13New Post! Jul 24, 2010 @ 00:33:18
@Eastender Said

Are you suggesting that those who are able, yet unwilling, to work should receive financial assistance from the public purse?

How extraordinary. I dare say, thou hast no understanding of charity, much less of sustainable economics.

Deleted
Banned

#14New Post! Jul 24, 2010 @ 00:36:11
@aquine Said

Are you suggesting that those who are able, yet unwilling, to work should receive financial assistance from the public purse?

How extraordinary. I dare say, thou hast no understanding of charity, much less of sustainable economics.

Yes I am. Otherwise many would starve - or be forced to turn to crime.

When my ancestors lived in the slums of London, they had no choice but to do whatever they could to get money for food. The welfare state is better than returning to that, because there are rarely enough jobs for everyone. If you don't know that, then YOU are the one who needs the lesson in basic economic reality babe.
aquine On May 30, 2014

Banned

Alice SPrings, Australia
#15New Post! Jul 24, 2010 @ 00:41:50
@Eastender Said

Yes I am. Otherwise many would starve - or be forced to turn to crime.

When my ancestors lived in the slums of London, they had no choice but to do whatever they could to get money for food. The welfare state is better than returning to that, because there are rarely enough jobs for everyone. If you don't know that, then YOU are the one who needs the lesson in basic economic reality babe.

Most poor people are poor because they are unwilling to do menial tasks. There is always work to be done.

James 2:20
But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

If people turn to crime as a way of living then lock them up in a tiny cell with bread and water.

Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs