The War in Ireland wasn't about religion

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 · >>
bendover On November 25, 2007

Deleted

Muff, Ireland
#1New Post! Oct 20, 2007 @ 21:11:51
There is a debate going on under "religion" which is contaminating others discussion on religious matters.

The war in Ireland was nothing to do with religion it was political.

If anyone wants to know anything about what happened here please feel free to ask any questions you want and I'll give you the news that it was politics and not religion that created and maintained the situation in Ireland that lead to so many needless deaths.
mollymalone On March 01, 2008

Deleted

Muff, Ireland
#2New Post! Oct 20, 2007 @ 21:18:48
I copied this post over from another thread.

Quote from Albion:-

I can discuss Northern Ireland because it is part of the United Kingdom my country where freedom of expression is allowed.Your argument seems to be unless you live through something your opinion is worthless .Did you live through the Holocaust......no? ok your opinions are invalid.The rose tinted view of Republicans in Ireland paint the troubles as a civil rights struggle ....**** simple fact... without religion added to other factors 'The Troubles' would never have happened ,read YOUR history books not over the last 80 but back hundreds of years RELIGION runs through all European history to deny it is beyond belief.
mark_is_god On June 26, 2015

antrim, Ireland
#3New Post! Oct 20, 2007 @ 21:18:50
well as we have a new thread i'll just copy from the old one.

the beginning of the second spate of violence in northern ireland is still up for debate.
you could say the violence started when the modern UVF formed, and started going around killing people.

but i don't think it matters when it started.

and also claiming the troubles have nothing to do with religion is a tad naive. the original troubles may of started due to irish nationlists wanting independance.
and the second trouble may of started because of riots or formation of the UVF (dosen't really matter which)
but hell, religion has definitly became part of the troubles.
lets face it the majority of loyalists are protestant and the majority of republicans are catholic.
so as incorrect as it is, catholics are seen by some as enemys of loyalists, hence protestants are seen by some as enemys of republicans.

to sum up, the troubles may of started for political reasons. but religion has definitly became entangled with the troubles.

Deleted

Muff, Ireland
#4New Post! Oct 20, 2007 @ 21:21:12
Irish Republicans want Independence Yes not Nationlists - there is a difference.

Deleted

Muff, Ireland
#5New Post! Oct 20, 2007 @ 21:21:45
Rose tinted glasses? I hope that you are not for one minute calling me a republican because I know my countries history.

Deleted

Muff, Ireland
#6New Post! Oct 20, 2007 @ 21:22:53
@mollymalone Said
I copied this post over from another thread.

Quote from Albion:-

I can discuss Northern Ireland because it is part of the United Kingdom my country where freedom of expression is allowed.Your argument seems to be unless you live through something your opinion is worthless .Did you live through the Holocaust......no? ok your opinions are invalid.The rose tinted view of Republicans in Ireland paint the troubles as a civil rights struggle ....**** simple fact... without religion added to other factors 'The Troubles' would never have happened ,read YOUR history books not over the last 80 but back hundreds of years RELIGION runs through all European history to deny it is beyond belief.

Religion dont run through it. Alot of the great "Nationalists where Protestants.

I am speaking from actual fact not history books.

antrim, Ireland
#7New Post! Oct 20, 2007 @ 21:23:49
@mollymalone Said
The second troubles started with Civil Rights for all in NOrthern Ireland. Read my posts Mark is God

you can claim that.
i can claim it started due to the formation of the uvf.

claiming either doesn't make it true.

this is why it is still up for debate, and most likely always will be.

Deleted

Muff, Ireland
#8New Post! Oct 20, 2007 @ 21:24:52
@mark_is_god Said
you can claim that.
i can claim it started due to the formation of the uvf.

claiming either doesn't make it true.

this is why it is still up for debate, and most likely always will be.

When was the UVF formed?
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Oct 20, 2007 @ 21:26:53
When religion is the actual cause of an armed conflict, it is usually due to a group of fundamentalists perceiving a threat to their source of religious authority, and subsequently demanding a reversion to traditional (often primitive) ways of life. Clearly such demands are met with fierce opposition, and violent conflict may ensue. An example of this is the 1979 Iranian revolution against the secular Shah of Iran. The troubles in Ireland were indeed primarily concerned with natonial independence, and religion merely became a rallying point for opposing sides. Had religion been absent, a similar rallying point would have been used anyway.

Deleted

Muff, Ireland
#10New Post! Oct 20, 2007 @ 21:27:17
@mark_is_god Said
well as we have a new thread i'll just copy from the old one.

the beginning of the second spate of violence in northern ireland is still up for debate.
you could say the violence started when the modern UVF formed, and started going around killing people.

but i don't think it matters when it started.

and also claiming the troubles have nothing to do with religion is a tad naive. the original troubles may of started due to irish nationlists wanting independance.
and the second trouble may of started because of riots or formation of the UVF (dosen't really matter which)
but hell, religion has definitly became part of the troubles.
lets face it the majority of loyalists are protestant and the majority of republicans are catholic.
so as incorrect as it is, catholics are seen by some as enemys of loyalists, hence protestants are seen by some as enemys of republicans.

to sum up, the troubles may of started for political reasons. but religion has definitly became entangled with the troubles.

I woulds argue that the troubles errupted in 1969 when the Unionist government denied civil rights to all the people of Northern Ireland to ensure that the wealthy Unionist retained their power and therefore secured the Union with Britain.

Just look at the titles held by MPs in Stormont in 1969. There were Captains, Majors, Sirs and Lords ruling the country. The decent people of Northern Ireland did not rule this country. The working class Unionists were as suppressed of their civil rights as Catholics but their Unionist masters liked to keep them uneducated and use that ignorance to keep them under their thumbs. Ordeinary working class unionists were given the jobs as lackies to the ruling class but told they were in a position of strenght and to be thankful to their UNionist masters for keeping the Republicans down.

antrim, Ireland
#11New Post! Oct 20, 2007 @ 21:27:18
@mollymalone Said
Irish Republicans want Independence Yes not Nationlists - there is a difference.

yes this for me, or the other guy?

because i said irish nationalist, in my post.

Deleted

Muff, Ireland
#12New Post! Oct 20, 2007 @ 21:28:28
@buffalobill90 Said
When religion is the actual cause of an armed conflict, it is usually due to a group of fundamentalists perceiving a threat to their source of religious authority, and subsequently demanding a reversion to traditional (often primitive) ways of life. Clearly such demands are met with fierce opposition, and violent conflict may ensue. An example of this is the 1979 Iranian revolution against the secular Shah of Iran. The troubles in Ireland were indeed primarily concerned with natial independence, and religion merely became a rallying point for opposing sides. Had religion been absent, a similar rallying point would have been used anyway.

Please take this religious arguement elsewhere. This thread is about politics in Ireland NOT religion.

antrim, Ireland
#13New Post! Oct 20, 2007 @ 21:29:13
@mollymalone Said
When was the UVF formed?

the original one, 1912 i believe
although they were just the Ulster Volunteers at first.
this modern one which bears little connection to the original one.
about 1966.
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013