The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Religion & Philosophy

Is religion really the cause of our troubles?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Jan 02, 2009 @ 09:52:14
Religion can and is a dangerous cause. We all witness daily on the news what people are prepared to do in the name of thier God.

Man made religion many years ago through fear of the weather. Its kinda escalated from there.

Is it the fault of religion though? How comes two people can worship the same god yet one believes that he must kill, eradicate the other religions, in order to secure a place in heaven?

Surely its entirely a case of interpretation.

If we had no religion do you think we would continue to have war?

I personally think so, because it is in some people's nature to be fanatical about something. Whether it be a celebrity, a god, a charity, their country or whatever. There are people who need to feel special, who believe they have a calling in life to do whatever it is they cannot rest until their work is done.

Is it fair to blame religion?
raditz8526 On July 02, 2009

Deleted

, Minnesota
#2New Post! Jan 02, 2009 @ 09:53:21
@treebee Said

Is it fair to blame religion?

Not really, no. They just use religion as their excuse.
soypuke On May 13, 2009

Deleted

#3New Post! Jan 02, 2009 @ 09:55:23
Not necessarily, people fight all the time, for other reasons besides religion. The only constancy is people, so people are to blame.
NotlihNhoj On August 12, 2009

Bristol, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Jan 02, 2009 @ 09:56:14
Contrary to what many say, most wars are fought over wealth/resources.
Yes, religion is a neat way of 'rallying' a nation behind you, but it's not usually the reason for war.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Jan 02, 2009 @ 10:01:08
see i was thinking about those people who stalk celebrities, like they fall in love with them and for some reason decide they want to kill them because they cant have them

well if this happens over simple celebrity, can you imagine how some people may think if eternal life is thrown in on the deal?

We all know that certain manifestations of mental illness can heavily involve religion and delusions of grandeur.

So i say this with deepest respect but do you think that maybe very very very religious people are slightly nuts?
windstorm On June 28, 2012

Birmingham, Alabama
#6New Post! Jan 02, 2009 @ 10:02:10
Depends on whether the religion is good or bad. I guess if it's a holy religion then people have a right to start wars? I've always been taught that the only wars that are justified are Holy Wars.
NotlihNhoj On August 12, 2009

Bristol, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Jan 02, 2009 @ 10:04:21
I don't see how any war can be 'holy'.
JuanSmith On September 11, 2020
Shilsh-Aash yatasay

Near Eucalyptus Trees, Califor
#8New Post! Jan 02, 2009 @ 10:06:05
@windstorm Said

Depends on whether the religion is good or bad. I guess if it's a holy religion then people have a right to start wars? I've always been taught that the only wars that are justified are Holy Wars.

not all are nuts but a large group are.

and i don't see "holy" wars as a justifiable.. it's still war.
raditz8526 On July 02, 2009

Deleted

, Minnesota
#9New Post! Jan 02, 2009 @ 10:08:23
@treebee Said

see i was thinking about those people who stalk celebrities, like they fall in love with them and for some reason decide they want to kill them because they cant have them

well if this happens over simple celebrity, can you imagine how some people may think if eternal life is thrown in on the deal?

We all know that certain manifestations of mental illness can heavily involve religion and delusions of grandeur.

So i say this with deepest respect but do you think that maybe very very very religious people are slightly nuts?

I dunno, I'm not very very very religious, just very very religious....and I seem sane. lol
convictcelt On February 20, 2009

bellambi, Australia
#10New Post! Jan 02, 2009 @ 10:10:19
No war is holy.It is a horrible waste of life.Organised religion is also a waste of life.It sucks you in screws up your brain and places so much guilt on your actions you have to question eveything you do.
Hinckleylad On October 08, 2009

Deleted

leicester, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Jan 02, 2009 @ 10:17:41
im afraid if religion was eradicated, war would not be, other issues like national boundaries, racial identity,poverty,will fill any void, you will never get rid of resentment, greed, and clashes of culture throughout the world.
windstorm On June 28, 2012

Birmingham, Alabama
#12New Post! Jan 02, 2009 @ 10:18:43
@convictcelt Said

No war is holy.It is a horrible waste of life.Organised religion is also a waste of life.It sucks you in screws up your brain and places so much guilt on your actions you have to question eveything you do.

As mentioned above, I was raised in a very religious household where I was taught that all wars are evil except for Holy Wars because it involves a higher, supernatural deity. But now having come of some degree of independence maturity I have since learned better. And I agree, it is very wrong to murder and take innocent lives whatever the cause.
Hinckleylad On October 08, 2009

Deleted

leicester, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Jan 02, 2009 @ 10:33:33
religion itself is not the problem, but it is elements that distort the meanings in various religions to suit their own personal agendas, that is.

a religious message, can be interpreted in many forms, it can be positive, well meaning and good,it can be changed to suit agendas,radicalised to spread assertions and innuendos,preached by those who seek change, and by those who wish to use hate as a weapon and reach a wider audience by tying it in with religious context.
csj On January 18, 2009

Deleted

Beats me, Mexico
#14New Post! Jan 02, 2009 @ 10:50:05
People who kill for the sake of getting their allotment of virgins in heaven, or as some would say in the name of so and so,s god, in my opinion is far from what I think religion stands for. Today you have people or groups coming up with their own religion as a way of drawing people in to their beliefs whether it is right or wrong. This day and time people can make people believe anything, though some may call it being brain washed.
cepreeper On January 31, 2009

Grand Rapids, Michigan
#15New Post! Jan 02, 2009 @ 11:06:39
without religion humanity would go insane, religion gives ppl meaning to their lives, without it they would go insane, not knowing what happens after death, not having any point to their lives. Religion gives most ppl a reason to live, they worship and do good, or fight in the name of what they believe. Religion is like the guidelines for humanity, cause in basically all religions there is a higher power, something that mankind cannot control, something that they cannot conquer. So without religion there would almost certainly be mass chaos. This is what i believe.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs