Local

Ireland VS Northern Ireland

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Kristy69 On September 14, 2014
Carly's Mommy

Underneath the Cyanide Sun....
#1New Post! Apr 05, 2009 @ 15:04:24
I recently did a bit of reading on the on going issues between the Catholics and Protestants (Northen Ireland vs the Irish Republic) in Ireland

As I've seen (mostly here on TFS), not everyone is so hyped about God these days, a lot of people taking it more relaxed, or simply not believing.

So if that's the case, why is there so much strife between these two parts of Ireland?
Is it really the extremists that cause this much trouble?
Or am I just mistaken and religion is, in fact, a big deal in Ireland?

**NOTE: I'm not mentioning the Middle East or Africa, because in more of those places if you don't believe in their religion, it's the stony lonesome for you.
Charles On November 16, 2010

, Christmas Island
#2New Post! Apr 05, 2009 @ 15:14:28
If it was a simple as being a question of religious differences the trouble would have been over long ago. The majority religion in each of those areas happen to be Catholic in the Republic and Protestant in the North but the war was not about their religion. It was about Irish people wanting to have the right of self determination and not to be governed by a foreign government ie Britian.
When the Bristish invaded Ireland they brought their own people who were protestant to plant the country with people loyal to Britain, but that was several hundred years ago.
angelcake On January 18, 2016
Say whaaa

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Apr 05, 2009 @ 15:16:03
It's all a long complex history and tbh I don't blame the Republic of Ireland for being pissed at England.
chef_mia On December 11, 2012

derry, Ireland
#4New Post! Apr 05, 2009 @ 15:19:47
charles well put

im from the north and im Catholic. i my eyes there is no such place as northern Ireland its like north or ulster. which is the place that the British took over hundreds of years ago and the reason for all the of the trouble more so than religion is that the Catholics in the north that want our land back and thats why must of the trouble stated as we want a united Ireland
Kristy69 On September 14, 2014
Carly's Mommy

Underneath the Cyanide Sun....
#5New Post! Apr 05, 2009 @ 15:22:40
@chef_mia Said

charles well put

im from the north and im Catholic. i my eyes there is no such place as northern Ireland its like north or ulster. which is the place that the British took over hundreds of years ago and the reason for all the of the trouble more so than religion is that the Catholics in the north that want our land back and thats why must of the trouble stated as we want a united Ireland

Thank you, I'm starting to understand it a bit better. The article I read was a bit vague.

I see from your location, Derry, that you are Catholic. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Protestants call it Londonderry, and Catholics call it Derry.

, Christmas Island
#6New Post! Apr 05, 2009 @ 15:24:28
If you know much about Irish history you will know that the Presbyterians were far more republican than the Catholics in many instances and they were percecuted by the British establisment as much as the Catholics.
That is why so many Protestant people fled to America and helped found that country.

, Christmas Island
#7New Post! Apr 05, 2009 @ 15:28:18
The Church of Ireland (Protestant) Bishop is the Bishop of Derry and Raphoe.
The Aprentice Boys of Derry is the biggest protestant organisation in the city.
The oldest protestatnt church in the city is known by the protestant people as First Derry.

As you can see nothing in Irish history or politics is simple.

, Christmas Island
#8New Post! Apr 05, 2009 @ 15:29:44
@Kristy69 Said

Thank you, I'm starting to understand it a bit better. The article I read was a bit vague.

I see from your location, Derry, that you are Catholic. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Protestants call it Londonderry, and Catholics call it Derry.

Many people trying to make a political poiunt INSIST on calling it Londonderry. The vast majority of people in the city call it Derry
chef_mia On December 11, 2012

derry, Ireland
#9New Post! Apr 05, 2009 @ 15:49:08
@Kristy69 Said

yea i live here and half of the things i dont even understand
@Charles Said

Many people trying to make a political poiunt INSIST on calling it Londonderry. The vast majority of people in the city call it Derry

i dnt agree with u there iv never met a protestant dat called it derry lol
alexkidd On February 07, 2012
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#10New Post! Apr 05, 2009 @ 15:53:04
It's far more political and historical than based on religion.
sheepy On March 23, 2010

Deleted

Treasure Island, United Kingdo
#11New Post! Apr 05, 2009 @ 16:22:06
Whole thing is real complex.

Hundreds of years ago, countries were forming, and in many many cases, smaller countries were taken over or merged with other small countries to make slightly larger countries. We're talking about a time when "diplomacy" meant "Who had the biggest sword". It happened all over europe, leading almost to the boundaries we have today. In a way a bit like how the United States became - note what happened last time some stated wanted to leave

England had taken over the smaller warring English kingdoms quite early, and had become the more developed country in the area. For political reasons, the focus eventually turned on the fringes of England - the celtic areas, which by comparison were very undeveloped, and in the case of what's now Wales, fractured into petty kingdoms still.

When Ireland became part of this new "country", an attempt was made to introduce "more loyal" protestants into what was a largely catholic leaning land. Thus began a Scottish invasion - something which even today can be seen in various sectarian ideas. The English as a whole have no time whatsoever for ridiculous sectarian rubbish, but it's a big issue in Scotland.

So why didn't Ireland become like Savoy, like Normandy etc and part of a united country? Well, look again to history. For part of an alleged united one country, the Irish were treated very shabbily by the English dominated country.

Even as recently as early last century, most Irish would have been happy with some devolved self rule, under a united monarch, but more and more, independance became the more attractive option.

This happened in the 20's. Interestingly, it's a bit "must not say" in Ireland even today, what happened immediately after independance. Bosnian style massacres and oppression by Irish of Irish, and many must have thought would things ever get better. Bit like the other "must not say" - the real sympathies by many Irish in government during a nominally neutral country during WW2.

When Ireland got independance, the UK government allowed a vocal protestant minority to do some "tail wagging of the dog". Part of Northern Ireland remained in the UK.

This was a cause for grievance and resentment. Sectarian sabre rattling became so intense during the late 60's/early 70's that the British army was sent in - originally to prevent a wholesale massacre of catholics by the protestant militias. It's an interesting twist of history that many in the IRA would not have been around had it not been for the UK army protecting them - they'd have possibly been killed.

Originally welcomed by the catholic population, it wasn't long before this army was seen as an army of occupation, then began the long campaign of terrorism on both sides (And don't forget, one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter).

Not going to go into who is right and who is wrong - frankly after this amount of time, it's hard to say just who is.

The UK for a long time has wanted out of Northern Ireland, but cannot as it would be abandoning a land where most people wanted the status quo, due to "terrorist" activities. Certainly most people in the UK were heartily sick of Ireland and were of the opinion "f*** them, lets get out, they want their heads banging together".

The uk isn't China, if Ireland wanted to be united, the UK would be right out of there. It's big mistake was by not saying 90 years ago "Bye" to ALL of Ireland.

Frankly, the whole thing is pathetic, too many people who just can't get along, and who are totally oblivious to the fact that since we're all in europe anyway, who cares whose tatty little flag is flying over a public building.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs