Spanking Linked to Mental Illness, Says Study

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 ...10 11 12 · >>
alk1975 On August 11, 2016

Jackson, Missouri
#31New Post! Jul 03, 2012 @ 03:33:49
@Erimitus Said

Could it be that psychological abuse could result in psycological problems?

yes, we know that it can. But that isn't the issue being discussed unless you are saying that psychological abuse and spanking are linked and that is why there is a higher prevalence among those who are spanked. I would think they would have controlled for that however,.
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#32New Post! Jul 03, 2012 @ 03:52:25
@Leon Said

A good study uses controls such as these. So I'm sure it was covered.

I wonder how the study was done. Did they actually take a group of children and beat them to see if there were any ill effects? Probably be better to be in the control group.

The study would need:

A group that was physically abused and a group that was not physically abused

A group that was mentally abused and a group that was not mentally abused

A group that was both physically abused and mentally abused.

A group that was neither physically abused nor physically abused.

#33New Post! Jul 03, 2012 @ 03:52:59
@alk1975 Said

yes, we know that it can. But that isn't the issue being discussed unless you are saying that psychological abuse and spanking are linked and that is why there is a higher prevalence among those who are spanked. I would think they would have controlled for that however,.

OH
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#34New Post! Jul 03, 2012 @ 03:56:17
@Erimitus Said

I wonder how the study was done. Did they actually take a group of children and beat them to see if there were any ill effects? Probably be better to be in the control group.

The study would need:

If they felt that one can be absent of the other, then I'm sure they would have done this. However if the two are intrinsically linked and cannot be separated, then there would be no reason to, as it would still show that avoiding spanking would result in less mental cases.
IndieMonet727 On October 23, 2016

, Texas
#35New Post! Jul 03, 2012 @ 03:58:32
@alk1975 Said

nope. I think that people who disagree with these studies assume that those who are opposed to spanking only mean beatings. Not at all. I dislike spanking because it doesn't teach the child what to do. It only teaches what NOT to do. It doesn't tell the kid what the preferred alternative is, and like Leon said, it only teaches them to do good to avoid punishment, a very low developmental level morally speaking. You can be productive and happy and still not be your fullest potential, and who knows, maybe it was made up for in some other way. But I don't think that the spanking deserves the credit for the goodness in people. No one is saying don't discipline. They are saying don't use that specific form of discipline. Besides, for every person you can name who was spanked and turned out fine, there is someone who was spanked and didn't turn out so great, or appears great on the outside, well accomplished and what not but is tormented on the inside.

But isn't life full of these consequences, that if you do something that is harmful to yourself or others, that there is going to be an either physically painful or emotionally painful backlash?
I think spanking teaches that, no matter what you make, there are consequences. And sometimes as children, you must learn this lesson through pain.
And I will agree with you and say, that there are probably some people out there who are well established within their lives, and are hiding their pain. But what I dislike about such studies is that its giving a wide generalzation, that I believe is coming from a bias opinion about spanking.

You can get spanked, and not hate your parents, or yourself. There can be positive points with spanking, when it is used as a learning tool and not as something that you do when you are angry, or frustrated.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#36New Post! Jul 03, 2012 @ 04:00:23
@IndieMonet727 Said

But isn't life full of these consequences, that if you do something that is harmful to yourself or others, that there is going to be an either physically painful or emotionally painful backlash?
I think spanking teaches that, no matter what you make, there are consequences. And sometimes as children, you must learn this lesson through pain.
And I will agree with you and say, that there are probably some people out there who are well established within their lives, and are hiding their pain. But what I dislike about such studies is that its giving a wide generalzation, that I believe is coming from a bias opinion about spanking.

You can get spanked, and not hate your parents, or yourself. There can be positive points with spanking, when it is used as a learning tool and not as something that you do when you are angry, or frustrated.

Why does a child need to experience unrelated pain to learn the lesson of right and wrong?
rosexthorn On July 30, 2022

Winnipeg, Canada
#37New Post! Jul 03, 2012 @ 04:17:28
@hoppy Said

B-U-L-L-S-H-I-T.

Have to say I totally agree with your comment. Everyone and I mean everyone has issues whether they've been spanked or not so quit trying to label yet another action that people have used for centuries without abusing their children. I've seen children grow up with spanking and go on to live a successful life and some that were never touched and not do so great as adults. Gee! If you don't want to spank your child 'don't' but please spare me the judgment of those that use it as discipline only. Parenting is a very touchy subject to begin with and not one parent can honestly come on here and point fingers at how another parent parents because while they are puffed up on the 'I know how to raise children the right way' there are many fingers pointing at you stating you're doing a terrible job of parenting.

This judging parents is making me sick to my stomach. There are no two parents that are the same and that even goes for a biological mother and father. UCK! I'm out of here as I know this is just crap coming from some know it alls that think that all children are the same and all parents should parent one way and one way only. THEIR WAY or what a research paper has told them is the RIGHT WAY..........
rosexthorn On July 30, 2022

Winnipeg, Canada
#38New Post! Jul 03, 2012 @ 04:19:13
@Erimitus Said

The study would need:

Agree^^^^ Kudos!
IndieMonet727 On October 23, 2016

, Texas
#39New Post! Jul 03, 2012 @ 04:27:43
@Leon Said

Why does a child need to experience unrelated pain to learn the lesson of right and wrong?

How is it unrelated?
Its teaching actions have consequences.

I'm not saying spank them for every infraction, but is talking and grounding and taking away their favorite things is not working, spanking can be effective in such a circumstance.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#40New Post! Jul 03, 2012 @ 04:28:40
@rosexthorn Said

Have to say I totally agree with your comment. Everyone and I mean everyone has issues whether they've been spanked or not so quit trying to label yet another action that people have used for centuries without abusing their children. I've seen children grow up with spanking and go on to live a successful life and some that were never touched and not do so great as adults. Gee! If you don't want to spank your child 'don't' but please spare me the judgment of those that use it as discipline only. Parenting is a very touchy subject to begin with and not one parent can honestly come on here and point fingers at how another parent parents because while they are puffed up on the 'I know how to raise children the right way' there are many fingers pointing at you stating you're doing a terrible job of parenting.

This judging parents is making me sick to my stomach. There are no two parents that are the same and that even goes for a biological mother and father. UCK! I'm out of here as I know this is just crap coming from some know it alls that think that all children are the same and all parents should parent one way and one way only. THEIR WAY or what a research paper has told them is the RIGHT WAY..........

Yes, every parent has the right to raise their children how they want, which I don't disagree with.

Now I ask you out of curiosity, why is it necessary to give children unrelated physical pain to teach them the lessons between right and wrong?
8FlOz On August 24, 2012
S.W.E.D

Fairbanks, Alaska
#41New Post! Jul 03, 2012 @ 04:31:48
Who spanks anyways?

You gotta whip that a** with a belt, thats the only way a child learns.

My stepdad grounded me for a month for pushing another little kid off of MY bigwheel (stupid white parents), after he wouldnt get off, and told me that it would teach me to not hit other kids. I got in four fights my next year at kindergarten. Didnt teach me s***.

My biological father saw me push another kid one day while we were playing in the street, came out, carried me in the house, and whooped my a** with his belt.

Guess what i never did again?

I dont see physical punishment as a bad thing, if the parent doesnt go too far, and turn it into abuse. If i had a child, and they did something totally out of line, im not going to ground them, and take things away from them, because i know for a fact it doesnt teach children, it never taught me anything else than to resent my stepfather for taking away my freedom but a quick lashing of the belt is a big kick in the pants, that memory of pain will make a child never wanna f*** up again, and therefore, you only have to use the belt one time (if you dont have a demon child )

Im pretty sure spanking kids doesnt lead to brain damage, unless their head is up their a**
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#42New Post! Jul 03, 2012 @ 04:36:21
@IndieMonet727 Said

How is it unrelated?
Its teaching actions have consequences.

I'm not saying spank them for every infraction, but is talking and grounding and taking away their favorite things is not working, spanking can be effective in such a circumstance.

Of course spanking is effective in conditioning behavior. Nobody in here, nor the studies deny this. Do we then advocate, oh say... electrocution since it would get the same compliance? Of course not.

But, heck, just throwing this out there.... why not teach related consequences rather than unrelated consequences, when it would better directly teach why such action is wrong?

#43New Post! Jul 03, 2012 @ 05:23:58
@Leon Said

If they felt that one can be absent of the other, then I'm sure they would have done this. However if the two are intrinsically linked and cannot be separated, then there would be no reason to, as it would still show that avoiding spanking would result in less mental cases.

Although psychological abuse may not include physical abuse there wil be physical effect associated with it and physical abuse will cause psycological effects; so the two are inseperable. Is that correct?

#44New Post! Jul 03, 2012 @ 05:33:09
@Leon Said

Of course spanking is effective in conditioning behavior. Nobody in here, nor the studies deny this. Do we then advocate, oh say... electrocution since it would get the same compliance? Of course not.

But, heck, just throwing this out there.... why not teach related consequences rather than unrelated consequences, when it would better directly teach why such action is wrong?

Pain is a good teacher. And corporal punishment teaches the child that inflicting pain is acceptable behavior. If another person behaves in a way that you do not like or you believe is wrong the correct response is to inflict pain.

Are there any other approaches to teaching a child what behavior is acceptable and what behavior is not acceptable?
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#45New Post! Jul 03, 2012 @ 05:36:44
@Erimitus Said

Pain is a good teacher. And corporal punishment teaches the child that inflicting pain is acceptable behavior. If another person behaves in a way that you do not like or you believe is wrong the correct response is to inflict pain.

Are there any other approaches to teaching a child what behavior is acceptable and what behavior is not acceptable?

I disagree with the statement that the correct response is to inflict pain, because, to answer your question, yes, there are. And, what's more, they are more effective because they directly teach why such behavior is wrong rather than via an association with pain, which was unrelated until that point.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 ...10 11 12 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs