Spanking Linked to Mental Illness, Says Study

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...9 10 11 12
alk1975 On August 11, 2016

Jackson, Missouri
#151New Post! Jul 04, 2012 @ 22:56:59
@Leon Said

You'll need to give me an example of that. What physiological damage is done solely via psychological abuse?

Really? You don't believe the brain is altered physically and physiologically by the stimulation it receives, both positive and negative? I would have thought that would have been covered in an education degree. It is similar to mental retardation that results from a deprived environment. We know it happens and in many cases is irreversible. Stress hormones have a physiological effect on the body in many ways. You don't think that psychological abuse induces stress hormones into the body? I guess I'm just surprised to see you ask for an example on this.

Jackson, Missouri
#152New Post! Jul 04, 2012 @ 23:05:42
@Leon Said

He would understand that he got pain....from his mom's hand. And that it will probably happen again if he tries to touch the stove. But nowhere in that "lesson" would he have learned the stove is hot.

Agree. And it would probably take repeated slappings of the hand to get him to stop reaching for the stove completely, and one time of barely touching the hot stove himself. Also, children understand language way way earlier than they get credit for. One experience with "hot" and he would understand that word with every other "hot" thing out there. So, touch the stove once and he would understand when you told him a match was hot, when you told him the bbq grill was hot, when you told him the bonfire was "hot" when you told him hot coals in a fireplace was "hot" and when you told him an exposed electrical outlet was "hot". Otherwise, you got to go through slapping his hand with each one of those things. I'm still for the natural consequence. Warn him it's hot, let him understand you do not want him to touch it, but then be there to empathize and comfort after he makes his mistake. You're the good guy loving parent, and he now understands "hot".

Jackson, Missouri
#153New Post! Jul 04, 2012 @ 23:22:47
@Cpat92 Said

To be honest I didn't know about this study. I don't know if I can completely agree with it though. I had a few spankings, but not too seriously. I know that when parents abuse their children it can lead to mental issues in the future. I don't know any other methods besides the small spankings, slap on the wrist, "talking to" or the useless and traditional time-outs.

Time outs for the record are completely misused and distorted compared to what they were intended in the first place. Just thought I would say that. They are typically used as a punishment, and honestly, as a punishment they are the stupidest thing ever unless a kid is really missing out on limited time that could be spent doing a very favorite thing. For example, you only have an hour at the pool and the kid is going to miss some of that time as a punishment. Then it kind of makes sense as a punishment (and would work as a natural consequence if the behavior was related to being in the pool, such as dunking others who didn't want to be dunked) However, "timeout" was literally meant to be the same thing for kids that "counting to ten" was for the adults. It was meant to be an interruption to a highly emotional situation, a separation from that situation with a period intended to teach the child to cool himself off before he acts. When used and taught that way, as a coping mechanism to anger, it is not useless. But somehow that message has gotten lost and it has become the "punishment" to replace spanking, which imo means essentially that the kids aren't getting disciplined at all because it isn't a teaching tool like the way it is intended and it isn't really harsh enough to count as a punishment (which I contend is better than a complete lack of discipline).

While I get that many people think that non-spankers believe all spanking is abusive (I don't), in my mind I tend to see that the majority of pro-spankers believe that non-spankers are opposed to children receiving any discipline. Nothing could be further from the truth, but somehow that is the portrayal.
Leon On December 21, 2023

San Diego, California
#154New Post! Jul 05, 2012 @ 00:23:35
@alk1975 Said

Really? You don't believe the brain is altered physically and physiologically by the stimulation it receives, both positive and negative? I would have thought that would have been covered in an education degree. It is similar to mental retardation that results from a deprived environment. We know it happens and in many cases is irreversible. Stress hormones have a physiological effect on the body in many ways. You don't think that psychological abuse induces stress hormones into the body? I guess I'm just surprised to see you ask for an example on this.

I guess I was thinking more outside of the brain and the rest of the body.
rosexthorn On July 30, 2022

Winnipeg, Canada
#155New Post! Jul 05, 2012 @ 01:50:19
@alk1975 Said

Agree. And it would probably take repeated slappings of the hand to get him to stop reaching for the stove completely, and one time of barely touching the hot stove himself. Also, children understand language way way earlier than they get credit for. One experience with "hot" and he would understand that word with every other "hot" thing out there. So, touch the stove once and he would understand when you told him a match was hot, when you told him the bbq grill was hot, when you told him the bonfire was "hot" when you told him hot coals in a fireplace was "hot" and when you told him an exposed electrical outlet was "hot". Otherwise, you got to go through slapping his hand with each one of those things. I'm still for the natural consequence. Warn him it's hot, let him understand you do not want him to touch it, but then be there to empathize and comfort after he makes his mistake. You're the good guy loving parent, and he now understands "hot".

So you are saying that I perhaps mentally harmed my child by slapping his hand and telling him the stove/oven was hot and you 'think' that actually letting him burn his hand to prove and show him what 'hot' is is the kinder thing to do?

I really think that letting a child touch the 'hot' item to teach him is more traumatic then a slap on the hand. But of course the child would not associate the pain directly to the parent by letting him touch it but who actually 'let' him/her touch it? The Parent, so in my opinion the parent that let's the child actually do what he/she was trying to do and ended up really hurt by it is by far worse than any slap a parent could ever give him/her to avoid exactly what we are trying to avoid, the traumatic outcome and that's come with the mindset of trying to deter the child from getting to the point of being harmed.

I don't know if that makes any sense to anyone but to me letting the child actually do what he/she wants to do no matter the consequences so they can actually feel the result
of their dangerous actions is beyond my comprehension to that way being the more stable way to raise a child. That I would go so far as to say that the child would end up with the 'least' of their problems being 'mental'. I would think they would either be scarred not only physically but mentally as well if not dead.

Jackson, Missouri
#156New Post! Jul 05, 2012 @ 03:30:12
@rosexthorn Said

So you are saying that I perhaps mentally harmed my child by slapping his hand and telling him the stove/oven was hot and you 'think' that actually letting him burn his hand to prove and show him what 'hot' is is the kinder thing to do?

I really think that letting a child touch the 'hot' item to teach him is more traumatic then a slap on the hand. But of course the child would not associate the pain directly to the parent by letting him touch it but who actually 'let' him/her touch it? The Parent, so in my opinion the parent that let's the child actually do what he/she was trying to do and ended up really hurt by it is by far worse than any slap a parent could ever give him/her to avoid exactly what we are trying to avoid, the traumatic outcome and that's come with the mindset of trying to deter the child from getting to the point of being harmed.

I don't know if that makes any sense to anyone but to me letting the child actually do what he/she wants to do no matter the consequences so they can actually feel the result
of their dangerous actions is beyond my comprehension to that way being the more stable way to raise a child. That I would go so far as to say that the child would end up with the 'least' of their problems being 'mental'. I would think they would either be scarred not only physically but mentally as well if not dead.

NO. You need to reread. I did not say that it mentally harmed your child to slap his hand, but you have done a fantastic job in this post of illustrating the point I made earlier about non-spankers being accused of being non-discipliners. You implied that I said children should do whatever they want, even to the point of tragic consequences. I would likely slap the child's hand, or better, would probably have the child barricaded from areas where hot things were available to touch. My post was speaking to the quickness and ease with which a child would learn the concept of "hot". Eventually sometime in that child's life he will get burned. Until he does, the concept of "burn" or "hot" will not make sense. A child will not be capable of keeping his hand on a hot stove long enough to do the kind of damage you are implying, and once he gets burned once, he will not mess with things that he sees can cause much larger burns, most likely. In any case, the study was very clear in that it stated harsh regular use of physical punishments. I'd hardly say that was enough to have caused harm mentally and the implication that I said so is annoying at least.
Leon On December 21, 2023

San Diego, California
#157New Post! Jul 05, 2012 @ 04:00:52
Yes. As I said in the second post of this thread, there are better and more directly related forms of discipline that teach the child from right and wrong, and are just as effective in conditioning wanted behavior. Alk gave some superb examples of this that I actually incorporate all the time.

Being against spanking does not mean you are against discipline.
wednesday76 On February 25, 2013

Dodging the Daggers, United Ki
#158New Post! Jul 05, 2012 @ 06:40:52
I believe there are way too many "excuses" nowadays for mental illnesses.
'Oh, he murdered his neighbor, Obviously mentally unstable!Must have been spanked as a child'
There is no definition of why someone may suffer a mental illness...it could be linked back to their past (abused/beaten) it is still an excuse at the end of the day to behave that way.(some mental illnesses) But i will laugh in the face of anyone who says that a mental illness was bred from someone having a slapped a** for being naughty as a child.

white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#159New Post! Jul 05, 2012 @ 10:20:58
@wednesday76 Said

I believe there are way too many "excuses" nowadays for mental illnesses.
'Oh, he murdered his neighbor, Obviously mentally unstable!Must have been spanked as a child'
There is no definition of why someone may suffer a mental illness...it could be linked back to their past (abused/beaten) it is still an excuse at the end of the day to behave that way.(some mental illnesses) But i will laugh in the face of anyone who says that a mental illness was bred from someone having a slapped a** for being naughty as a child.

I agree.
I'm not sure when it was that it became frowned on for parents to
discipline their child/children . Their is a huge difference between abuse and discipline. One is a done a person who has no interest in a child's well being or the safety of the child and will leave tempary bruses and life long scars and the other is when a parent loves the child enough to teach that child right from wrong and that for every action there is a reaction and taking responsibility for ones own behaviors and actions is what makes a person an adult that will be able to make their way in life and will teach lessons that will last a lifetime.

I spanked my kids with a bare hand and only on the butt, from the time they were walking and talking good until the age of about 8 or 9 years old. I figured after that if I couldn't reason with them and teach them what they needed to know then I had already went bust as a parent. I used grounding and extra chores and 'lectures' until they turned 18 and moved out.
During a visit home in his early 20's one of my kids told me that there was never one minute of a day while growing up ,that any of the three of them ,questioned my love for them . Even when one or more of them had made me so angry I was wanting to rip a head off and s*** down a neck , they never questioned if they were loved.
I was not a perfect parent , no one is. But when my son who had grown into a hard working and responsible man told me that , I felt as if I had been awarded a 'mother of the Year' award.
rosexthorn On July 30, 2022

Winnipeg, Canada
#160New Post! Jul 05, 2012 @ 15:33:54
@alk1975 Said

NO. You need to reread. I did not say that it mentally harmed your child to slap his hand, but you have done a fantastic job in this post of illustrating the point I made earlier about non-spankers being accused of being non-discipliners. You implied that I said children should do whatever they want, even to the point of tragic consequences. I would likely slap the child's hand, or better, would probably have the child barricaded from areas where hot things were available to touch. My post was speaking to the quickness and ease with which a child would learn the concept of "hot". Eventually sometime in that child's life he will get burned. Until he does, the concept of "burn" or "hot" will not make sense. A child will not be capable of keeping his hand on a hot stove long enough to do the kind of damage you are implying, and once he gets burned once, he will not mess with things that he sees can cause much larger burns, most likely. In any case, the study was very clear in that it stated harsh regular use of physical punishments. I'd hardly say that was enough to have caused harm mentally and the implication that I said so is annoying at least.

Sorry! I did not process your post properly.
Stryker1981 On November 28, 2012

Banned

Fort Lewis, Washington
#161New Post! Jul 09, 2012 @ 07:35:31
@Leon Said

And this is on top of numerous studies already linking corporal punishment to unempathetic behavior in adulthood. This new one published by the Journal of Pediatrics studied over 30,000 cases and found a much greater instance of mental disorders and illnesses in adulthood.

There are better ways to discipline your child that are more effective. It just requires more work, effort, and patience is all, something many seem to not want to do. If that's the case, don't have a child. Spanking gets the immediate job done, yes, but look at the long term effects here when teaching your children to look after their hide rather than the real merits of virtuous behavior.

Its funny how these studies work, spanking has only been a hot button issue for what maybe 35yrs? and in the last 35yrs(give or take) since the start of this weak minded you should address your child's bad behavior with words and positive reinforcement bulls*** started how much worse has children and society got?? how many mass school shootings happend between 1850-1950?what was the childhood obesity rate? what was the childhood suicide rate? how many children thought it was ok to live on welfare, or on someone elses dime without contributing?
I don't remember seeing anything about school shootings, or a childhood obesity epidemic before this new age s*** started in my history class how about yours?
Children for the most part in this modern age of discipline free parenting are unmotivated self adsorbed personal-responsibility free leeches.
I am not saying that it is OK to slap your kids a** for all infractions they may cause but their is defiantly behavior that warrants it, I.E my daughter when she was younger thought she would show me who was boss at the dinner table when she was told to eat her veggies, she intern turned in her seat, looked at me and spit a mouth full or her veggies in my face, that was by far a good reason to pink her ass, since that night my daughter eats everything on her plate with no b****ing or protest, case in point my daughter learned some discipline at the dinner table and when regarding her reactions to authority figures.
A normal punishment for minor things in my house is standing in a corner on one foot for a determined length of time or going to their room with all toys removed so all they have is a bed and a empty room.

I am in the army and have dealt with thousands of recruits and new soldiers in the ten years I have been in and I tell you what, the ones who got their a** whooped as a kid when they f***ed up are far more disciplined, motivated responsible and self reliant.they are more often then not the ones who make a good career or do their time in service and get out with a good future ahead of them. the ones who didn't tend to be the more whining, weak and pathetic, the ones who think that the army and society owes them.
they are often the ones that just tend to cause a drain on the service and everyone around them and get chaptered out for misbehavior or other reasons.

As far as you telling me not to have a children because you don't like the way I am raising them you can go f**k yourself because my kids, both of them are top of their classes, the best behaved in class and every time we are at a mass social event. they are by far the most disciplined and polite children I have yet to encounter in this area
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#162New Post! Jul 09, 2012 @ 10:11:19
The leading catalyst for mental illness is giving a f***.

Broken hearts because it never dawned on the hurt and stricken that others are only it for themselves or a mean laugh.

More so than spankings, children just need to have it explained to them that this life and themselves are artificial and a load of s*** from the start.

But then they're going to ask why you bothered to have them in the first place.
Tar On April 28, 2014

San Antonio, Texas
#163New Post! Mar 26, 2013 @ 01:21:49
I wonder if anyone's opinion on this has ever changed since the last time it was brought up

, New Zealand
#164New Post! Mar 26, 2013 @ 01:44:56
Hmm...so abusing others could jeopardize their mental health and also potential for becoming a productive part of society.

Fancy that! Who woulda ever guessed?

, New Zealand
#165New Post! Mar 26, 2013 @ 01:53:10
@Tar Said

I wonder if anyone's opinion on this has ever changed since the last time it was brought up

Rather or not the parents abuse the child, the child is en-route to be abused anyway.

More so than focusing on the do's and do not's of corporal punishment with kids, I would - from day one - make better effort towards de-sensitizing them to the world around them.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...9 10 11 12

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs