Separation of Church and State

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...21 22 23 · >>
JaneDevin On January 05, 2011

Deleted

Anaheim, California
#1New Post! Oct 24, 2010 @ 13:05:01
My liberal friends insist that the Constitutionrequires "separation of church and state." My conservative friends say that the Constitution forbids "establishment of" and "interference in" religion. Which is correct?

If separation is required, then how separate? May preachers disobey the law? Must politicians not attend church?
Fede88 On June 19, 2012

, California
#2New Post! Oct 24, 2010 @ 13:14:08
@JaneDevin Said

My liberal friends insist that the Constitutionrequires "separation of church and state." My conservative friends say that the Constitution forbids "establishment of" and "interference in" religion. Which is correct?

If separation is required, then how separate? May preachers disobey the law? Must politicians not attend church?

I think church and state should be separate.
And preachers should obey the law(unless personally for me it deflects the DIvine Law, but thats my opinion). And i think politicians should attend church if they want.

The thing is, i believe, Is that the God-believer to No-God-believer, or Any-other-beliver is going to reflect their decisions based on their world view so their will always be objectivity to their faith. its impossible to take out, there can only be limits.
right?
LuckyCharms On July 31, 2021
Magically Delicious

#3New Post! Oct 24, 2010 @ 13:14:30
Well for practicality I'd say that church and state are separate. You see you can't have a road that just goes one way. Eventually the highway will open up and it'll all go to hell.

The state can't establish laws in regard to religion and at the same time that means any state sponsorship of religion will automatically interfere with said religion. Once the state claims ownership, it's done.

The problem is that the conservatives want to take their religion to the state and have it affect all the laws. The problem then becomes what if the laws that have been enacted based on their religion interferes with another person's religion? They have freedom of religion and here comes the state that has been influenced by religion making a law that interferes with another religion.

Just an example. Mainstream Christian faith says Sunday is the holy day. For 7th Day Adventists, it's Saturday. For the Jews it's Friday to Saturday. We have three different religious players holding different beliefs. What if anyone of these groups wanted a law that had to do with business and their Holy Day? Which one would suffer for which group's belief?

That's just one basic example and a very simple one at that. Once the door is opened to using religion to establish law it is going to end up where someone else's religion is going to suffer for it.

Deleted

Anaheim, California
#4New Post! Oct 24, 2010 @ 13:24:14
@Fede88 Said

I think church and state should be separate.
And preachers should obey the law(unless personally for me it deflects the DIvine Law, but thats my opinion). And i think politicians should attend church if they want.

The thing is, i believe, Is that the God-believer to No-God-believer, or Any-other-beliver is going to reflect their decisions based on their world view so their will always be objectivity to their faith. its impossible to take out, there can only be limits.
right?

Which is more important, "separation" or "establishment and interference?"

Deleted

Anaheim, California
#5New Post! Oct 24, 2010 @ 13:26:38
@LuckyCharms Said

Well for practicality I'd say that church and state are separate. You see you can't have a road that just goes one way. Eventually the highway will open up and it'll all go to hell.

The state can't establish laws in regard to religion and at the same time that means any state sponsorship of religion will automatically interfere with said religion. Once the state claims ownership, it's done.

The problem is that the conservatives want to take their religion to the state and have it affect all the laws. The problem then becomes what if the laws that have been enacted based on their religion interferes with another person's religion? They have freedom of religion and here comes the state that has been influenced by religion making a law that interferes with another religion.

Just an example. Mainstream Christian faith says Sunday is the holy day. For 7th Day Adventists, it's Saturday. For the Jews it's Friday to Saturday. We have three different religious players holding different beliefs. What if anyone of these groups wanted a law that had to do with business and their Holy Day? Which one would suffer for which group's belief?

That's just one basic example and a very simple one at that. Once the door is opened to using religion to establish law it is going to end up where someone else's religion is going to suffer for it.

So, which is more important, "separation" or "establishment and interference?"
Fede88 On June 19, 2012

, California
#6New Post! Oct 24, 2010 @ 13:27:45
@JaneDevin Said

Which is more important, "separation" or "establishment and interference?"

mmmm, I would say separation.

I think world-law, should be separate from religion/faith.
Magically Delicious

#7New Post! Oct 24, 2010 @ 13:29:53
@JaneDevin Said

So, which is more important, "separation" or "establishment and interference?"

I don't think either is more important. I think they are equally important because they are two sides of the same coin. Well add in a third side to our mutant coin with the 'freedom of religion' thing.

The problem is that some people want to put parts of the constitution in a bubble. It doesn't work that way. These three elements work together to form the basis of our law.
Fede88 On June 19, 2012

, California
#8New Post! Oct 24, 2010 @ 13:34:47
@LuckyCharms Said

I don't think either is more important. I think they are equally important because they are two sides of the same coin. Well add in a third side to our mutant coin with the 'freedom of religion' thing.

The problem is that some people want to put parts of the constitution in a bubble. It doesn't work that way. These three elements work together to form the basis of our law.

Thats a good thought. Unfortunate that I dont think our government will ever completely reach that balance.

Deleted

Anaheim, California
#9New Post! Oct 24, 2010 @ 13:35:28
@Fede88 Said

mmmm, I would say separation.

I think world-law, should be separate from religion/faith.

Okay, you want "separation," and the Constitution forbids "establishment of" and "interference in." Is that right?

Deleted

Anaheim, California
#10New Post! Oct 24, 2010 @ 13:39:21
@LuckyCharms Said

So, you think that "separation" is the same as forbiding "establishment of" and "interference in." Is that right?
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Oct 24, 2010 @ 13:40:47
To my knowledge the Church is kind of separate from the state over here and it seems to work quite well. I don't think it can be completely separate as a lot of political laws were established due to religious beliefs at the time they were conceived, however I think that it should try to be as separate as possible, particularly in a country where there are many faiths.
Magically Delicious

#12New Post! Oct 24, 2010 @ 13:42:22
@JaneDevin Said

So, you think that "separation" is the same as forbiding "establishment of" and "interference in." Is that right?

Similar yet different but all part of the same mechanism. Separation is not using religion as a basis for law. Establishment/interference is not creating laws interfering with religion. Freedom of religion is the ability to practice (or not) as you please.

It's a tripod. All three are necessary but each leg is different yet part of the larger machinery.
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#13New Post! Oct 24, 2010 @ 13:56:07
How about we start with the actual wording of the constitution with regard to this issue, rather than a convoluted and transparently obvious attempt to get people worked up about something that doesn't actually exist?

Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression. Ratified 12/15/1791.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Now, based on the actual lawful wording, does any one want to comment?

Deleted

Anaheim, California
#14New Post! Oct 24, 2010 @ 14:21:22
And, the phrase "separation of church and state" comes from a letter that Thomas Jefferson wrote to a group of Baptist supporters in 1802.

I haven't found a copy of the letter, but reading the whole letter; that might be useful.
Magically Delicious

#15New Post! Oct 24, 2010 @ 14:26:04
@JaneDevin Said

And, the phrase "separation of church and state" comes from a letter that Thomas Jefferson wrote to a group of Baptist supporters in 1802.

I haven't found a copy of the letter, but reading the whole letter; that might be useful.

https://www.usconstitution.net/jeffwall.html
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 ...21 22 23 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs