Public School Lock downs

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#1New Post! Mar 13, 2009 @ 09:03:15
What's the idea behind locking down a school when something outside the school grounds happen ? I was reading the local news and they locked down 3 public schools Thursday because a suspect who had been arrested for domestic violence had escaped from a police substation.
A high School a middle school and an Elementary were all locked down for about 2 hours . I don't understand why the schools have to be involved. They already have closed campus with a guard at a check point at the gate plus a 8ft. or higher chain link fence surrounding the the school property.

https://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/crime/crime_krqe_albuquerque_three_schools_locked_down_200903091130
SimplyxComplicated On June 28, 2023

Fort Worth, Texas
#2New Post! Mar 13, 2009 @ 09:07:18
There's actual schools with chain link fences..?
Thats kind of bizarre...
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#3New Post! Mar 13, 2009 @ 09:20:12
@SimplyxComplicated Said

There's actual schools with chain link fences..?
Thats kind of bizarre...

Yes. I took my daughter out of the public school system about 4 weeks into her 10th grade year because the Belen public schools decided to have closed campus and over the summer months they had put up a chain link fence all around the campus of the high school. I went to the school one day to check her out for a doctors appointment and it was like trying to get a prisiner out of prison trying to get her checked out. I put her in a private schoool for the remaining 3 years. I was working a full time 50 hours a week job and had to take on a part time job to pay for the private school but I refused to have my daughter treated like she was an inmate in prison.
SimplyxComplicated On June 28, 2023

Fort Worth, Texas
#4New Post! Mar 13, 2009 @ 09:31:14
Ah, I see, understandable.

Thats still really strange.

I guess having a "closed" campus means different things.

Here it just means you cant leave for lunch
loveis On January 15, 2010
brat-inella

Deleted

In the mirror,
#5New Post! Mar 13, 2009 @ 09:43:28
My guess would be so that the guy wouldn't get in to attempt to hide there; and end up hurting or killing someone.
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#6New Post! Mar 13, 2009 @ 10:10:57
@loveis Said

My guess would be so that the guy wouldn't get in to attempt to hide there; and end up hurting or killing someone.

The excuse for starting to do these 'lock downs' was for the safety of the students, except if you read the article I linked to the lock down lasted from 10am to just before noon and it still isn't clear if the suspect was ever recaptured. 100% of the times when there is a school lock down reported whatever the reason is has absolutely nothing to do with the students or the school property.
Kristy69 On September 14, 2014
Carly's Mommy

Underneath the Cyanide Sun....
#7New Post! Mar 13, 2009 @ 10:11:43
@iwannano Said

What's the idea behind locking down a school when something outside the school grounds happen ? I was reading the local news and they locked down 3 public schools Thursday because a suspect who had been arrested for domestic violence had escaped from a police substation.
A high School a middle school and an Elementary were all locked down for about 2 hours . I don't understand why the schools have to be involved. They already have closed campus with a guard at a check point at the gate plus a 8ft. or higher chain link fence surrounding the the school property.
https://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/crime/crime_krqe_albuquerque_three_schools_locked_down_200903091130

Idk, but none of my schools had barriers like that.
It's all in the safety of the students. If the school has no barriers, a criminal could just run up to the school in an attempt to hide or hold someone hostage who knows.

The ways I see it, it's better safe than sorry.
I remember we were on a lock down once because someone robbed a 7-11 a few blacks away from my elementary school and there was a vehicle pursuit.

I see no harm on taking precautions to potentially save a couple hundred children's lives.
smallBUTTerflies On January 07, 2020
Weaker than homeopat

Plymouth,
#8New Post! Mar 13, 2009 @ 10:14:17
My school gets locked down all the time... it's annoying, yes but it's better than getting hurt/killed.

My old elementary school got locked down when there was a rabid fox in there
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#9New Post! Mar 13, 2009 @ 10:50:46
How many instances has there been where a person or persons that have committed a crime or are running from the cops entered a school and held anyone hostage or hurt someone?? I'm just asking because i have never heard of it happening. And that sort of thing keeps getting mentioned here.
Carly's Mommy

#10New Post! Mar 13, 2009 @ 10:57:35
@iwannano Said

How many instances has there been where a person or persons that have committed a crime or are running from the cops entered a school and held anyone hostage or hurt someone?? I'm just asking because i have never heard of it happening. And that sort of thing keeps getting mentioned here.

It hasn't happened that I know of, but there's that chance.
I'd rather have been put on lock down than having something bad happen.

Perhaps the vehicle pursuit stops in front of a school and shots are fired? It's better to have the kids on the floor than active in a classroom.

I see no harm in it, like I said, better safe than sorry.
I think most parents would prefer their kids alive and well than studying with police activity is going on in the immediate community.
trillian On May 06, 2010

derbyshire, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Mar 13, 2009 @ 11:11:01
i wish they would lock our school up once the kids are in. we have had numerous reports of didgy people hanging around and even a know paedo hanging around the school
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#12New Post! Mar 13, 2009 @ 11:30:44
@Kristy69 Said

It hasn't happened that I know of, but there's that chance.
I'd rather have been put on lock down than having something bad happen.

Perhaps the vehicle pursuit stops in front of a school and shots are fired? It's better to have the kids on the floor than active in a classroom.

I see no harm in it, like I said, better safe than sorry.
I think most parents would prefer their kids alive and well than studying with police activity is going on in the immediate community.

Here about 12 years ago a local cop and a car with 2 young people in it were involved in a 'high speed vehicle pursuit' The car with the young people wrecked ,flipping a couple of times and killing the 13 year old passenger . It was reported that vehicle pursuits were not necessary in these modern times ,simply because of the modern technology called 'radios'. a cop should be able to give the information over his radio 'the direction of vehicle, make and model of vehicle and the reason a vehicle needs to be stopped , especially in a high traffic area or school zone or residential area etc...
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#13New Post! Mar 13, 2009 @ 11:34:54
@trillian Said

i wish they would lock our school up once the kids are in. we have had numerous reports of didgy people hanging around and even a know paedo hanging around the school

I'm guessing "didgy people " means homeless people?
Why aren't the cops out there clearing these people away from and out of a marked school zone ??? And it is a law that known sex offenders are not to be within a certain amount of feet of any school .
Carly's Mommy

#14New Post! Mar 13, 2009 @ 19:38:14
@iwannano Said

Here about 12 years ago a local cop and a car with 2 young people in it were involved in a 'high speed vehicle pursuit' The car with the young people wrecked ,flipping a couple of times and killing the 13 year old passenger . It was reported that vehicle pursuits were not necessary in these modern times ,simply because of the modern technology called 'radios'. a cop should be able to give the information over his radio 'the direction of vehicle, make and model of vehicle and the reason a vehicle needs to be stopped , especially in a high traffic area or school zone or residential area etc...

Regardless, cop vehicle pursuits still go on.

I don't understand why you're so against it.
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#15New Post! Mar 13, 2009 @ 20:10:59
@Kristy69 Said

Regardless, cop vehicle pursuits still go on.

I don't understand why you're so against it.

I said I don't understand it.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. If what they are protecting us from has never happened then why do we need protecting from it ?
Doesn't it seem that instead of locking down our schools they ( the courts and law enforcement) be locking down the criminals ?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs